Ryanair

"pay $50 for the bag"

Trip Verified | Stansted to Bucharest. First they charged us to check in $136. Then they put me to pay $50 for the bag I had for my infant, even if I was allowed with one, they said no and i had to pay and they took it away so I did not have diapers to change my baby in the plane. Any company when you have an infant they board you first... not with them... we were the last. When we finally got in the flight attendant was telling me I am not allowed to sit on that seat with an infant... remember that they charged me to check in, finally they found me a place to seat and the plane is delayed so we don’t have AC for almost 2 hours. Finally we leave and the AC still doesn’t work.
RouteStansted to Bucharest
Date FlownMay 2019

"tell me I had to check in online"

Trip Verified | Porto to Barcelona. Do not fly with Ryanair. They find a way to charge you extra for no reason. I payed an extra 12€ for a small checked in bag just to make sure they wouldn't refuse my small backpack as a carry-on. That was fine. But then what a surprise when i get at the airport and they tell me I had to check in online to have my boarding pass because for some reason they don't do it. I knew there were extra charges with them but I wasn't expecting to pay 55 Euros for a piece of paper that would have cost nothing to print. The clerk also told me to run because I was tight in time and that they would not wait for me. I ran for my life only to get at the gate and wait for 30 minutes because they have the worst gate management I've ever encountered in all my travels.
RoutePorto to Barcelona
Date FlownJune 2019

"extra 20€ for carry on bag"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Milan Bergamo to Tel Aviv. Bad airline, bad customer service. My ticket included 10kg check in bag. When I arrived to the check in counter the representative did not mentioned anything about the need to check in my carry on bag even though she had seen it when I approached her. When I arrived to the boarding the representatives asked me to pay extra 20€ for my carry on bag even though I had showed them that I bought it in advance. The representatives asked me to get out of the line until I will pay the 20€ fee. I ended up paying double - when I purchased the ticket and on boarding 40% of the price of the ticket.
RouteMilan Bergamo to Tel Aviv

"Overall, terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Stansted. I thought that the first time I had the following experience with Ryanair it was some sort of anomaly- oh was I wrong. Ryanair would not send me electronic boarding passes for me and my family. We had to arrive at check in and get those printed. We waited in the luggage drop off/check in line and waited for 20 min. We were given a slip of paper and sent to another line. This line took an hour. Several people in line missed their flights. When we got to our turn in this line, Ryanair for the 2nd time (once previously in Barcelona) accused me of not checking in and tried to charge 50 Euro fees per person to check in. Luckily, both times I had the app downloaded with proof that everyone had been checked in. The worker at the desk in Vienna made some phone calls and they “waived the fee”. We made it through security and once to the gate things were hectic again. The Ryanair attendants were treating a couple from India quite terribly, accusing the woman of having a fake visa. This went on well into our boarding time before someone took the couple away. The young woman was visibly upset at the accusations and other passengers were upset with the way she was treated - regardless of her visa status. When the flight landed in London and people got off the plane, there wasn’t a clear direction to go. I have video of a plane full of people walking around the plane wondering where to enter the airport. Overall, terrible experience. If you have a flight with this airline or it’s partners, I recommend arriving 3 or more hours early to the airport no matter the time of departure.
RouteVienna to Stansted
Date FlownMay 2019

"Such disrespect for customers"

Trip Verified | London Gatwick to Dublin with Ryanair. I am now 25 minutes standing at bag drop off point and no staff present. I tried to book priority while checking in so I could take my 10kg bag on board but this was not available. Today’s journey feels like I have stepped back 10yrs in air travel. I am a regular user 8 to 20 time per year but it’s time to use another airline where possible irrespective of price. Such disrespect for customers is hard to believe in 2019.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2019

"worst carrier I’ve flown"

Trip Verified | Ryanair are the worst carrier I’ve flown. Recently I flew from Manchester to Marrakesh and Lisbon to Manchester so my information is up to date. It’s as if Ryanair sets out to test is customers at every step from booking to check in to the moment you get off the plane and are finally free of them. Let’s start with priority boarding. Don’t bother as you will end up queuing in a stairwell with everyone else once you get through the gate. At Manchester we waited for half an hour in a stair way. Some of the older customers were really struggling. We should have been kept at the gate until they were actually ready for us to board. The same happened in Lisbon but this time we were left waiting by the runway with the fumes of the planes blasting over us. Ok then the seats.... the single worst seats I’ve ever sat in on a plane. Rock hard, plastic covered monstrosities. They won’t even tilt back. Awful. The seats actually cause pain. By the time you get on the plane the customers have lost all sense of composure. Their nerves are shot and they are boiling over with anger at the service that they have received. This causes an underlying feeling that someone is going to lose it and kick off. The cabin staff aren’t interested and who can blame them. The must put up with this kind of thing every day. They aren’t cheap flights either so it’s no excuse. They need to improve greatly or I see them losing vast numbers of customers.
RouteLisbon to Manchester

"horrible as always"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Barcelona. Always a horrible experience flying with Ryanair. Employees trying to get money off you wherever they can, horrible waiting times and boarding procedures just to name a few. Just horrible as always flying with them.
RouteBrussels to Barcelona
Date FlownMay 2019

"expect the personnel to be nice"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Cluj Napoca to Southend. I don't want to complain too much, because we all know this is a low-budget airline. You won't expect to have extra services nor a lot of space when you fly here, but you expect the personnel to be nice. I bought priority tickets, both for me and my brother and an extra hand baggage was added. The issue is that after I put my big bag in the storage place above our head and sat down, the stewardess took it out so she can put another clients bag there who was sitting several lines in front of us. She asked me to put my luggage next to my hand luggage under my feet, but it was uncomfortable. She kept apologizing, but realized that the luggage she was trying to put up there instead of mine was too big. So she sent that down. I asked if I can have my luggage put back there, she said yes, but didn't move a finger to do it so, she even left. I paid for that place and I considered it very rude that she took out my baggage so she can put there someone else's.
RouteCluj Napoca to Southend

"They still charged me"

Trip Verified | Malaga to Berlin. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. I had to take take a Ryanair flight for business as they were the only company flying out of Madrid in the morning and could not check-in online because neither the app nor the website would work. I tried 5-6 times, both the previous evening and the morning of departure, but the seats I chose kept disappearing and then reappearing and I got the message “Error 500”. On the day of departure, I kindly asked the staff to check me in at the airport, but they said they had to charge me 55 euros because I didn’t comply with the (stupid) terms and conditions. I explained that I travel every single week for business and that I know the rules but the site wasn’t working - not on mobile and not on desktop or app. They still charged me and accused me of lying. I wrote a complain and the customer service there said that it was my fault for not complying to the terms, even though they made it impossible to. Long story short: Ryanair has awful, uncomfortable planes, but I could get over it if their customer service wasn’t so rude and their policies so unreasonable. They make money out of creating bugs on their website and charge you for their own mistakes. I am shocked!
RouteMalaga to Berlin

"a good experience"

Trip Verified | Luton to Girona. First Ryanair experience, went into this expecting the worst, ended up being a good experience. First of all their app is as good as any in the industry, which helps. The additional services they upsell (too frequently) are sensible and clear, and can be decent value. The need to physically print a paper boarding pass for non EU or UK passengers is the only real headache and lacks sensibility. You can check in on the app, but then need to use a desktop computer and printer to get the boarding pass, which is absurd. With all that done, the flight was on time, plane was ok, crews good and in the end this was excellent value. Honestly, legacy carriers like BA for short haul don't really provide more than Ryanair. You have to pay for a seat allocation, pay for food, no in seat power, no IFE and Ryanair is significantly cheaper most of the time. The overall experience exceeded expectations. It is no frills, but everything worked.
RouteLuton to Girona