Ryanair

"I would avoid at all cost"

Trip Verified | On 19th July, there was an IT glitch which impacted severely airlines and other companies. Upon arrival 3hours before our flight, we were asked to queue outside the terminal. Once inside the terminal after 1 hour queue, we asked several times to the ground staff if it was time for check-in. "Sorry I don't have your flight on my list, my manager will let me know". 1 hour before the flight, which means already been queuing for 2 hours, I decided to jump the queue and see what was going on. Ryanair was proceeding with the check-in manually, but there were more than 50 people in front of us. Due to the incompetence and lack of contingency, we missed our flight. Now Ryanair claims this is our fault if we missed the flight. I would avoid at all cost, specially they charge a lot for check-in luggage. Going forward, we will use a shipping company for our luggage, as it is cheaper than flying with them.
RouteStansted to Krakow
Date FlownJuly 2024

"Be warned of the price gouging"

Not Verified | I wish I had never sought to save money trying to book through this budget airline because I wound up spending over $830 for “inexpensive” flights. My and my partner purchased flights from Italy to Malta, but changed it due to the heat wave happening. We switched to London and paid the $56 hour change fee even though the new flights were significantly less expensive than the original (no return of difference). No biggie. Then the day of the flight, we got to Marco Polo airport and realized our flight was from Treviso. Our mistake, but then we tried to change it online as you are supposed to be able to do (paying a change fee and fare difference if applicable each time). Could not do so on the website or app. Also could not connect to a chat agent, perhaps due to high volume. So we tried to find an agent at the airport and we wandered that place for about an hour going back and forth. First off, for some reason, there are no maps in the airport to tell you where airline ticket counters are located (there are three separate locations on two floors— we went to all of them). Next thing is that that information is also not on the itinerary or RyanAir’s website. We finally found RyanAir’s check in counter and bag drop, but the agents could not change tickets! They said we had to purchase new ones. This is where I made a mistake because I was in a rush. I purchased the next day by accident because the flights I saw earlier sold out while we were trying to resolve the issue online and at the check in counter. We quickly checked in via the app and went back to the counter, where the agent realized we had the wrong date and THAT is when he told me I could go to a ticket counter upstairs to try to change my ticket. What! Why didn’t he say that before and why are the check in and ticket counters in separate areas on separate floors? When I went upstairs (where there are multiple single booths that service various airlines, again you have to look for them as they are not clearly marked), the ticket agent said we could have paid a fare difference/change fee if we hadn’t purchased the new tickets. Which was what we had tried to do, but couldn’t and had been told by another agent to purchase new tickets. Of course they could not refund me and they suggested I contact RyanAir online to see if they could issue a refund. I reached out again to RyanAir via chat and at first received the message that they could not assist due to high volume and to try again. When I did so, I was placed 334 in the queue. Finally someone responded, I told them the situation and he said Passenger error, no refund because they could not make a change without cost or cancel. What did that last part even mean? I reiterated that I purchased new tickets instead of exchanging them because of the lack of online assistance and as directed by one of their agents and I wasn’t looking for a full refund or cancellation of all flights, just either the cost of the original tickets or the current tickets to rebook with a change fee. I also asked what he meant by they couldn’t change without cost or cancel, but the agent bailed and said he had to abandon the conversation since he told me all he could. I suspect it was because he couldn’t actually explain what he meant in English. Oh and did you know if you don’t check in online, you will get charge 55 euro per person to check in in person at the airport? Be warned of the price gouging.
RouteVenice to London
Date FlownJuly 2024

"responded that I was late for flight"

(Croatia)

Trip Verified | On 19.07.24 due to worldwide IT issues caused by Microsoft updates I could not do online check in for my flight to Dubrovnik. I showed up 4 hours before flight at Stansted airport and had to wait until monitors showed which check in counters to use for my flight. Then I spent 2 hours at check in counters to obverse that 1 counter was open with 2 female staff from Ryanair doing manual check in. They did check in for about 10 flights including Dubrovnik. When I realised that I was not getting closer to check in counters and there as just 1 hour and 30 minutes to departure I left check in area and could not return as area was packed. So I proceeded back to hotel and tried to rebook my ticket for 20th. However app and web site was down and could not do it. Contacted Ryanair via chat and staff staid that they cannot do it as system was down. Then I contacted again later Ryanair and asked for refund or to book me for tomorrow (20th) but they responded that I was late for flight and that security at airport was to blame. I waited for 3 hours but simply Ryanair had no staff to work and did not care. Ryanair you should be ashamed for treating your passengers like this. Instead of apology for not being able to handle flights today and offer to move departure tomorrow you just blamed me. This is horrible business practice.
RouteLondon Stansted to Dubrovnik
Date FlownJuly 2024

“no communication from the cockpit”

Trip Verified | Black Friday travel, as all computer systems are down, nearly everywhere. So nothing to blame Ryanair here, actually ground staff did really their best with checking in everyone manually. Not an easy task, mainly because of some ignorance and non-understanding from many passengers. Sitting now since more than 1,5 hr in the plane, and we haven’t left yet. Also no big deal, with what is going on right now in many European airports, it is understandable and let’s hope we will leave anyway. What however is unforgivable is the absolute no communication from the cockpit or from any other staff member regarding the present situation, possible new slot etc. A frustrating silence from the crew, who is of course as well not happy about what is going on. However, a time-to-time human approach is helpful. And of course, as it is ultra low cost, not even a class of water, except numerous (and nerving) announcements regarding the buy on board whenever we will be at cruising altitude.
RouteCologne to Bologna

"resulting total inconvenience"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | On June 6, 2024, I attempted to replace one passenger from my reservation with a new passenger name. By that time, I had already checked in online for all passengers. I contacted Ryanair's call center and was assured by an employee that it was possible to replace the name without any costs and that the reservation would be unchecked to allow modifications. I was instructed to wait approximately two hours before logging in again to make the change. After waiting for three hours, I attempted to log in and make the changes but was unsuccessful. I contacted the call center again and was redirected to the Chat service. I waited in a queue of approximately 300 people for about four hours, only to be kicked out of the system without resolution. As it was very late and our flight was the next morning, I decided to address the issue at the Athens airport. On the morning of our flight, I attempted to contact the call center again, but it was out of working hours. Upon arrival at the airport, I sought assistance from Skyserv, who confirmed they were unable to make any changes and advised me to purchase a new ticket for the new passenger at the price of €437.96 which I did eventually. Skyserv assured me that Ryanair would refund the additional ticket cost due to the circumstances. Additionally, at Gate C15, security informed me that the original reservation was unchecked, and I had to pay an additional €55.00 for check-in. Both Skyserv and gate security confirmed that these issues were due to Ryanair’s error and assured me that Ryanair would refund me for these amounts. Upon our return from Berlin on June 9, 2024, we encountered further issues at Gate B38, where the original reservation was not initially found on the manifest. After an internal investigation, he was allowed to board. From what we believe is when I spoke with Ryanair assistant in the first time, they unchecked the wrong reservation by mistake and this is why all this confusion incurred. I wrote many complaint forms but they fully rejected and they don't even care for their own mistakes! I hold Ryanair liable for all above and the resulting total inconvenience and additional expenses. Stay away from them!
RouteAthens to Berlin
Date FlownJune 2024

"euros to check in at airport"

Trip Verified | The worst service of airline companies. All other companies close online check-in 2 hours before flight. But this one is one and only unique company to charge you hundreds of euros to check in at airport. And there is no other choice if you arrive airport 3hours before flight. It took me 1hour to reach the desk and because 1hour and 59minutes left to flight, they charge me 110 euros, gave me no other choice to board. This is the first time I am flying with this company and they made no clear instructions of their policy.
RouteDublin to Manchester
Date FlownJune 2024

"asked Ryanair for reimbursement"

Trip Verified | We had a flight from Stansted in UK to Olsztyn-Mazury in Poland, flight FR 228, scheduled to depart at 17:45. We arrived at the airport around 15:00. We entered the security checkpoint shortly after 16:00. Although there were not many people in line but the line was moving extremely slow. The security staff was disorganized, slow, taking their time to inspecting each and every item, reading each label, talking, laughing with each other during the process. None of the staff cared about getting passengers in a timely manner to ensure that people were able to make their flights. The personal was extremely unprofessional, lacked courtesy for passengers. Around 17:00, my daughter’s bag was the fifth one in line to be inspected, she begged people to let her go next. Passengers were under extreme pressure, stressed. No matter how politely we begged to speed up the bag inspection process, the staff just looked at us and deliberately slowed down. After security, we ran through the maze of stores to the gate. It was 17:35, the gate was already closed. I could see the aircraft from the window for the next 20 minutes. After calming down, we tried to figure out the next step. We learned that our luggage was pulled off the aircraft and we needed to retrieve it from the arrival terminal. Ryanair knew that two passengers already checked in, the luggage was loaded but the gate was closed prior to the scheduled departure. We were told to go to Ryanair customer service, after explaining what happened the women just looked at us, didn’t care. I asked her to check for availability for the next flight. She looked at me like I was bothering her. After a few minutes, she stated that the next flight with two seats was scheduled to fly out three days later. I asked for a refund instead but she said there will be no refund and that if we decided to book the next flight, we would have to pay again as a new reservations. I asked if she was able to check other airports around London with flights to Poland the next morning and she refused to help, stating that Ryanair does not do that. After learning that there was a flight from Luton airport via Wizzair the next morning, we decided to take multiple trains to Luton airport not knowing if there were seats available. We couldn’t book this flight via our mobile phone because there was a problem with the network as our phones operates out of USA. That was our first time in London, we were not familiar with the train system, had difficulty with our phones but we took a chance and headed for Luton airport. Three hours later we arrived, met with a Wizzair staff member, who was able to get us on the next flight to Poland the following morning. The transportation cost from Stansted to Luton was 67 x 2 = 154 GBP. Our tickets from Luton to Poland via Wizzair were 730.98 GBP, together 884.98 GBP = $1,101.06 USD – an unplanned and unexpected cost that we had to pay as a result of the unfortunate circumstances with Stansted Airport and Ryanair. We spent the night in the airport. We asked Ryanair for reimbursement, they ignored us.
RouteStansted to Olsztyn-Mazury
Date FlownMarch 2024

“flight was delayed”

(Latvia)

Trip Verified | The flight was delayed. No info on the screen at the airport how long is the delay and what is the estimated departure. Just one word: "Delayed". So we wait and check the Flightradar 24. We could see it is still in the air and that it will be 18 minutes late. No info about that. Still one word. Then we hear the announcement - the boarding starts. No plane yet. We start our way to the boarding. I make a video for my children on the way of the plane moving towards the gates. We arrive at the gates after 5 minutes. Everybody is there. No boarding. And we are told that we are too late. And denied boarding which has not started. No sorry for that they are late. No explanation. It is only our fault. They ask us to leave the boarding area while the people just started to leave the plane. How can you close boarding which has not started yet? This system Ryanair uses often. It is not a one time event. Only you never know when they decide to be mean like that. Sometimes they decide to do the boarding (check the documents) a long time before the plane actually arrives. Sometimes only when it is ready. It is a game they play. So we missed our weekend in Brussels, lost money for the flight and hotel. But we were there before them @ hours before the flight. Strange world, no?
RouteBillund to Brussels
Date FlownJune 2024

"more than ticket price for woman bag?"

Trip Verified | It the first time in Europe when my woman small bag was present on boarding like another bag. I have just a backpack for laptop and small woman bag for normal life. Why I must pay more than ticket price for woman bag? And I not sure that another woman all have just priority and buy an extra baggage. Maybe it’s personal for boarding in Prague airport
RoutePrague to Gdansk
Date FlownJune 2024

“Flying as little as possible with Ryanair”

(Luxembourg)

Not Verified | In my opinion and from my experience, Ryanair purposely assigns seats in different rows and at different ends of the airplane for families with children if they do not pay extra. If paying for seats only a few hours before the flight, one can still see many free seats together. Yet, when choosing randomly assigned seats, those will be taken per one free seat from the 2 free seats by each other from the different rows. Why does only the Consumer Rights organization in Spain manage to fight against the airline's practice of charging their customers extra for seating together? Flying as little as possible with Ryanair and every time feel sick about their customer experience.
RouteCharleroi to Kaunas