Ryanair

"wasn't aware that it was mandatory"

Trip Verified | Rome to Brindisi. I had never booked a flight with Ryanair so I wasn't aware that it was mandatory to check-in prior to arriving at the airport. They charged me a penalty of 121 euros for the two tickets! I didn't receive a text nor email telling me to do so to avoid the fee. I was told by the agent that I should have read the terms and conditions. The site stressed the fees for baggage during the booking but nothing was said of the necessity to check-in online to avoid the fee. If they want everyone to read the fine print, then don't say anything about the bags. I'll think twice before patronizing them in the future.
RouteRome to Brindisi

"confusing baggage allowance"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Krakow. Ryanair tries to rip-off their customers with their new & confusing baggage allowance policies. They wanted to charge us twice for the exact same piece of luggage (regular carry-on luggage), just ridiculous. We bought two regular Ryanair tickets approx. 3 weeks prior departure for 225€ (round-trip) per ticket on the Ryanair website. When I tried to check-in online, I realized you have to pay for luggage larger than a laptop case. We decided to check-in at the airport in FRA and asked at the counter whether our Ryanair ticket for 225€ really does not include a regular carry-on sized piece of luggage? They told us no and we had to pay 10€ per carry-on luggage/way extra, which means that we paid 40€ for our small, only luggage for the out- & inbound flight additionally. Consequently, our ticket FRA-KRK-FRA added up to a total of 245€ pp. Definitely not a low cost price, but unfortunately, we had no other option. We paid the additional costs without big discussions and received an invoice, clearly stating our names and the amount of 40€ in total for the in- and outbound flight for two. When we were flying back to FRA from KRK, they wanted to charge us again for the exact same carry-on luggage we have already paid for despite showing them the invoice. The Ryanair staff behaved unreasonably and did not even show a bit of understanding (even other people passing by were saying that the baggage regulations are really confusing) and were just threatening us to either pay or stay in KRK! I was showing them my invoice and saying that I am not gonna pay one more additional penny and they instantly said that we would have to stay. I was freaking out in front of all passengers and it took 5 more minutes of discussions, threats and shouting until they finally let us go without paying. I will never fly Ryanair again that is for sure, even if other airlines would be more expensive.
RouteFrankfurt to Krakow
Date FlownDecember 2018

"never fly with Ryanair again"

Trip Verified | Luton to Malta. Absolutely disgusted with the staff at Luton airport & Ryanair. I paid £40 for priority boarding to get to the airport to be told I had to pay an extra £10 to take my bags or I couldn’t get on the flight, never in my whole life of travelling have I come across such nonsense and attitude. Will never fly with Ryanair again!
RouteLuton to Malta
Date FlownDecember 2018

"nobody was able to help me"

Not Verified | Luton to Marrakesh. Myself and my family booked flights to Marrakesh to have our Christmas holiday abroad. Our flights we're on 20 Dec 2018 and returning on the 27 Dec 2018. We booked and paid in full 5 months in advance (July 2018) going with Ryanair but returning with easyJet. I had to pay extra for priority cabin luggage as they made the cabin bags optional. When I booked my outbound flights in advance my flight time was 15:05 and reaching my destination time was 18:40 but a month before my travel I have received a email from Ryanair air stating my flights time was changed to 16:30 departure from Luton. I couldn't find a number to contact Ryanair so there was online Ryanair customers service agent chat. I chat various people stating if my flight can be put to earlier flight and nobody was able to help me. I asked if there was any compensation for changing the flights but as soon as I mention the word compensation my chat ends (goes off line). The sad part was I booked my coach seats in advance too and I couldn't change the time as it cost fee nearly half of the coach price to make amendments. So we arrive very early at Luton airport. And the departure time suppose to be 16:30 but we took off at 17:30 and arrived an hour late at Marrakesh. I feel bad as our Marrakesh hotel airport transfer had to wait over an hour for the delay.
RouteLuton to Marrakesh

"We missed the flight"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Stansted. Had a very bad experience. I’ve flown with Ryanair several times and never had to print the ticket. However, we were told to print the ticket and get the stamp on it this time. It wasn’t explained clearly on the boarding pass and the staff was so rude. We missed the flight and they told us the next flight is two days later. Seriously, I can’t understand why this company still exist. I’ll try to get the refund but I’m worried that if they’re going to pay me back.
RouteMadrid to Stansted
Date FlownDecember 2018

"made us pay about 100 GBP more"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Poznan to Stansted. Check-in and baggage policy changed and they made us pay about 100 GBP more for the trip plus throwing away expensive cosmetics we needed. Flight about 2 hrs late both ways. I was 30 weeks pregnant at the time and no one even offered a glass of tap water on board in the heat. Rude flight attendants. My partner and I had separated seats. And forget about getting in touch with customer service.
RoutePoznan to Stansted
Date FlownAugust 2018

"constantly changing rules"

Trip Verified | They are constantly changing rules, even the staff don’t understand the new policies anymore. We booked a flight in August and the policy about the hand luggage changed in November. We were not able to change our ticket to priority (because that is what you need to do if you want to take your hand luggage with you in the aircraft) so we added the luggage during check-in. This costs us 10 pounds. At the gate we were informed that we had to drop our luggage at the check-in desk (which was not clear at all) so we had to pay an additional 10 pounds to take our luggage in the aircraft. Once in the aircraft we were told that we cannot take our luggage in the aircraft. After explaining everything to 3 different people, they finally let us go and we were able to take our luggage with us. Really Ryanair, just make sure you get your staff trained and don’t change your rules and policies all the time. They will definitly lose a lot of customers. Never in my entire life I will fly Ryanair again. I rather pay 50 pounds extea for better service and clear policies.
RouteLondon to Turin

"Constantly changing rules"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Copenhagen to Bologna. Ryanair has gone too far. Constantly changing rules to earn few extra euros - unprepared staff, loud ads running during the flight, flight attendants turned to bazaar vendors selling all sorts of unnecessary items (who buy those by the way?), no frequent flyer program, no waiting lounge, no free customer service number. And now that ridiculous new rule on baggage is confusing, unfair and so time wasting. I can’t really see the business sense of all that either. I take Ryanair when it goes where the other airlines don’t go, not because of the cheap tickets. Charge me what is right for my ticket but leave in my peace before and during the flight. Your fading stock price will probably thank as well.
RouteCopenhagen to Bologna
Date FlownNovember 2018

"priority boarding was 100 people"

Trip Verified | Stansted to Shannon. So you pay for priority boarding? You're wasting your money. The queue for priority boarding was 100 people long when I joined the queue and even longer behind me after 30 minutes. The non - priority queue? 4 people when I joined the queue and about 20 or so when boarding started. So you pay for priority to carry your case on board? Don't bother - the non priority queue had cases just like mine. But the non priority queue on the other side of the barrier will board after the priority queue? Are you kidding? the non priority queue got on the same bus at the same time as the priority queue and a lot quicker as well as there were so few of them. Nobody supervised the gate - the automatic door opened and we all got onto the bus together. The gate number was 90. On board, it was fine - I had a window seat on both journeys (despite not paying for a seat reservation) and was happy counting the revenue stream as the bags were loaded into the aircraft hold. I counted several thousand pounds worth of revenue for Ryanair on the assumption that the bags were priced at £25 each. Ryanair are very clever in convincing the flying public to pay for priority when there is no priority - and even more clever in marketing the product so that the majority of your passengers actually take the option. I suggest that as the public catch on to this cunning revenue maximising plan you will have to change the rules again as "priority" boarding is probably breaking some trade description act and the public aren't stupid. However, despite this little rant, don't forget that Ryanair does offer exceptionally low prices and if it wasn't for them and other similar low cost carriers we'd still be paying extortionate prices to the likes of BA and Aer Lingus and moaning about their high fares and poor service levels. Ryanair aren't perfect but they're a hell of a lot better than many other airlines.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteStansted to Shannon

"the worst company ever"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | The worst company ever. Our flight was 23/12/2018 at 14:30 from Athens to Thessaloniki. Without any warning they changed the flight at 21:30 in the evening and they only thing they told us is to stay in the airport for all those hours because if they decide to change the time of our departure again we might miss the flight. The weather is great it’s a fantastic sunny day and we have to spend it in the airport. No sorry, no explanation, it’s the worst company ever. Dont use it you never know if you will fly
RouteAthens to Thessaloniki