Ryanair

"could not fly because she need her passport"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I and my daughter had a plan flying from Brussels to Berlin - FR163, 30 Aug 19. Departure time - 08:15. When checking and dropping at counter, Ryanair officer check our documents (boarding pass, passport and my daughter’ID) and everything is ok. But when boarding, 2 officers saw my daughter’s ID and said that she could not fly because she need her passport, her ID was not accceptable? So, we could not fly. We had to change all our plan. Why my daughter cannot use ID? Why don’t inform customers when we buy ticket, checkin in counter. Unprofessional work! We only know when boarding, a few minute before flying. So that, the suitcase had to turn back from airplane to airport and we spend about 1 hour to get my suitcase We need a correct answer and pay for expenses incurred as a result of the cancellation: new ticket, hotel cancellation because my daughter’s changing plan and other.
RouteBrussel to Berlin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"This is an absolute rip off"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Salzburg to Stansted with Ryanair. Paid for priority boarding, get processed and boarded at the same time as the non priority passengers and put on the plane thru one entrance. This is an absolute rip off, save the money and book the basic flight with extra luggage, it is cheaper and you get the same treatment. Or even better book your flight with someone else like Lufthansa etc.
RouteSalzburg to Stansted
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"frustrating check in process"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Split. Very frustrating check in process at Dublin Airport - online access through phone internet was extremely clunky: first to log in and secondly to enter traveller details. Spent a very tiresome 1 hour getting this done. Then since no access to a printer we were directed to a luggage drop off desk and someone who printed our boarding passes and tagging and accepting our bags.
RouteDublin to Split
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Great service, friendly staff"

Not Verified | Cardiff to Malaga. Lovely welcome. Great service, friendly staff. Thank you for my safe flight thumbs up from Wales. The flight was perfect even the captain had banter with me. I'm a nervous passenger
AircraftBowen 737
RouteCardiff to Malaga
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"decided to not do online check-in"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Madrid. Before explaining the bad experience that we had with this airline, I will mention that we missed over 1000 euros at the airport just because this airline forced us to do so. Well, the low price of this flight naturally attracts you when you are booking your ticket, but if you know for different unreasonable reasons that you might have never heard before in your life they will charge you over 1000 euros and does not let you get into your flight, you might change your mind. With my family, we were traveling from Berlin to Madrid, and since we had check-in luggage, I decided to not do online check-in. We were among the first people that went to the check-in desk and there, they told us that we should have done online check-in 3 minutes ago at the latest and now we have to pay 55 euros per person for them to do the check-in. So we paid this money, and again we were among the first people who were at the gate to go to the airplane. When they were checking our boarding pass, they said that there was a problem with one of our check-in luggage and we can not get into the plane! (Later they never informed us what was the problem.) When I tried to convince them that they have to wait for us to solve the problem, their crew rudely shouted at me! They told us to go to the Ryanair desk at the airport (SXF) and there they told us that this is not their responsibility and there is no one there to help us, and all we can do is writing a complaint letter! The only option they gave us, and they believed that we have to be thankful about that, was paying 100 euros per person and get new tickets for the day after, and since I was with my family and had no other reasonable choices, I had to pay more money and book the ticket. After all, they destroyed our vacation, and we had a lot more additional costs for the hotel and all other expenses to spend the night in Berlin. I received the answer to my complaint letter yesterday, and they do not take any responsibility and do not pay any money back.
RouteBerlin to Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"rude employees at the airport"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Milan. It is unfortunate that Ryanair dont read the complaints fully. It states we checked in online a day in advance! We have not received our boarding passes. So we arrived at the airport 2.5 hours early! To get our boarding passes at the airport employees send us in 3 different lines and said they could not give us a boarding pass cause the system said we already checked in and should have received our boarding passes. This took 2.5 hours with all the waiting lines and then they send us to flywise to contact them for our boarding pass. Very rude employees at the airport.
RouteBrussels to Milan
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"cunning part of Ryanair"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Rome to Seville. “Beaten on the spot” I’m not a regular flyer of Ryanair and thus have never noticed their change of policy about the checking in and the hand luggage. With a mentality that it’s similar to other airlines, I thought I could do the check-in on the spot. When I arrived at the desk, the staff told me that I had to do the check-in online and cannot do it any more now. Then I was told that I have to go to the ticketing office upstairs to pay 55 euro for the check-in and come back to him. He also told me, “You can jump the queue and come to me once you have paid.” Then I showed him my 6,9 kg hand luggage suitcase, then he told me, “You cannot bring this on board and you have to do check-in luggage. For this, you need to pay 25 euro.” Hearing this, I was very shocked. I told the staff, “This is furbo (cheating), if a person travels for the first time with this airline and does not know the regulations, he/she has to pay extra or even more than the actual ticket.” Having no choice, I went to the ticketing office. While waiting for the staff to do my check-in, a gentleman arrived breathlessly as he was running to the desk to see if the staff can help him as the departure time of his plane had changed but he did not get any notification. The staff coldly said, “No, the gate has already closed.” The gentleman asked, “Could you do anything?” The staff replied, “I’m sorry, I can do nothing.” After paying my 80 euro, I went downstairs to the same desk and to the same staff who asked me to go to pay. Then he printed out my ticket. My questions are that, “Isn’t he working at the same desk, doing the same procedures of checking in? Why can’t he print the ticket before I made the payment and can print it after I paid?” A thought crossed my mind that “This airline lives on fine and on taking advantage of those who have no or less knowledge?” There’s blame on my part for not knowing that I have to do online check-in earlier but there’s also the cunning/cheating part of Ryanair.
RouteRome to Seville

"Cost 5/10 Service 0/10"

Not Verified | Terrible experience on the flight from Rome to Lisbon (FR2692 @ 14:20 on the 16/9/2019). We went to weigh our bags before the flight just to make sure and were surprised to find all our bags registered as ‘over weight, please pay €40’ even my wife’s tiny handbag was registered as ‘over weight’. It was obviously set to charge customers regardless and shows how underneath and conniving Ryanair really is. The staff at our gate entrance was very very rude and made us pay for our cabin bags at the time we felt most vulnerable to get onto the flight. ‘You either pay now, or you miss your flight’. Apparently ‘the rules had changed’ despite flying with the same luggage with the same airline to get to Rome (also not an issue with the same cabin bags on multiple flights). She also refused to give us her name and said they would send us a receipt of the extra €50 we had to pay for our baggage. We are still yet to receive this. Not to mention they didn’t notify us of these baggage dimension changes until the day before when it was obviously too late for us to change, as this was a connecting flight, and despite the fact we had already paid for a flight with cabin bags included. On the flight, my wife and I were needlessly split up as were a lot of passengers which left us all grumpy but no where near as grumpy as the horrible staff. Where my wife was sat there was dried blood around the seat. She also needed to use the bathroom, which was filthy and covered in urine. When she enquired as to a better option, the attendant locked the door of the dirty toilet and simply opened a previously locked bathroom. What was the point of having that option locked to customers for Ryanair’s convenience rather than the customers? Delays with our bags at the other end too. Lesson learned, avoid Ryanair at all costs. They advertise as cheap but after adding the other costs they try to rip you off with it ends up more than an actual decent flight. Cost 5/10 Service 0/10
RouteRome to Lisbon

"plane was late"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Flew Bologna to Bucharest with Ryanair. The plane was late and we had to wait over 30 minutes in the terminal. Moreover, I flew with my father and uncle and we got one seat in the front of the plane, one in the middle and the other in the back.
RouteBologna to Bucharest
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Typical low cost carrier"

Trip Verified | Prague to Stansted. They are what they are. Typical low cost carrier with no frills. If they fly you to a different country for the price of a taxi, then unless they are late or cancelled I can’t complain. I’m happy to fly them if they save me lots of money.
RoutePrague to Stansted