United Airlines

"Inflight service was awful"

Trip Verified | This was the absolute worst experience I’ve had on a flight. I encountered delays for each flight in addition to no available online customer service and a wait time of 1 hour - 2 hours for in person service. Every single flight had a seemingly trivial error which caused delays (not able to fit baggage, not enough fuel for plane, misaligned ramp). The United website tried booking flights from wrong locations in response to delays which further complicated the rebooking process. Inflight service was awful with contentious and rude hostesses. Overall terrible experience and recommend to avoid United at all costs.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2022

"was extremely rude to myself"

Trip Verified | The agent at gate B31 and her colleague (who walked away from me rudely when I asked a question was extremely rude to myself and another gentlemen in front of me. We stood there for at least ten minutes without being acknowledged and then when I did say excuse me the lady who wouldn’t give me her name was very rude to myself and the gentleman standing next to me who had been waiting longer than myself. All I wanted to know was if my plane was delayed and your employees working acted as if I was bothering them while they are supposed to be doing their job. I was extremely surprised as to the attitude that I received when inquiring about my flight with United. Please train your employees to at least try to accommodate your guests flying who pay good money to do so. If I could have rates United with a 0 out of ten I would have. Thanks.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteDenver to Boston
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I will not fly United Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Bad from the start. As soon as my mother and I checked our bags the agent told us there was an issue with the flight. I asked her what she meant and she told me that there was a delay, but we would still make our connecting flight. Which I feel she knew quite well that we would not. There was an hour delay, then the boarding process took forever, people from later groups cutting in front of the current group, it took forever to leave the runway, then we had to wait to land until there was a gate available, we kept circling the airport. By the time we landed in Newark, NJ our flight had already departed. There was no one at our gate to help us, we had to search the airport to find customer service. There was a LONG line once we reached it, with only 2 agents available. It was painfully slow. They kept telling us to use the QR code and/ or the kiosk, but we needed to speak with someone so continued to wait. A woman cut in front of the entire line and the female agent helped her anyway. The line was frustrated and angry and a man went up and told the agent that the woman had cut in front of everyone and that it wasn't fair and she needed to wait in line like everyone else. She continued to help her anyways, then left and went to go get another agent and they both continued to help this woman and make the rest of us wait. It was at least another 20 minutes of them helping her as though she was more important than the rest of us. It was unfair and frustrating to us all. We were in line for an hour or so before we finally made it to the front of the line. Hours later saw the same woman who had cut in front of the line sitting at her gate so obviously she wasn't in dire need of immediate help. 6 hours later we finally were able to get a flight. All of this could have been avoided if the agent who had checked our bags had found us an alternate flight instead of putting us on a plane that more than likely wasn't going to make it in time for our connecting flight. I will not fly United Airlines again. I had a very similar terrible experience when it was just Continental airlines about 10 years ago. My small children and I ended up having to spend the night in Newark at the airport. It was a nightmare! Apparently although they had merged with United it's still just as lousy the two airlines being combined. Back then they didn't have covid or staff shortage as an excuse.
RouteWest Palm Beach to Portland via Newark
Date FlownMarch 2022

"taking up half of where I should have been sitting"

Not Verified | I was to have the window seat but a lady was sitting in my seat she asked to switch I said fine. On sitting I was 1/4 off my seat. The person had put the middle arm rest up she took over 1 and a half of the 2 seats. I asked if I could sit somewhere else but it was completely full. Finally a slim gal across from me said she would switch. The person kept remarking she was big boned etc - she was obese. Why should I have to be half off my seat while she is taking up half of where I should have been sitting? The trip was 1 hr 45min.
RouteDenver to Fargo
Date FlownMarch 2022

"turned away at the Polaris Lounge"

Not Verified | Horrible United and Star Alliance Experience. UA 8836, operated by Lufthansa, on March 9th from FRA to ORD was delayed over 3 hours because the first aircraft's cabin air system was inop. The 3-hour delay was communicated in 20-minute increments which keep the hope alive that I would make my ORD-SNA connection, for over 3 hours. What it also did was eliminate the ability to rebook on other flights that were available at the same airport. In the end, I was left with no other choice but to stay on UA 8836. Once we were airborne I was told that the estimated land time was the same as the departure time for the ORD-SNA leg, thus, most likely I would be rebooked. Prior to landing all connecting passengers were told that there would be agents waiting for us at the arrival gate to provide our new connecting information. There was no service. There was a lady yelling out, "for your connection, check the monitors". Not very helpful since my connection was already taxiing. With no one providing any guidance, after exiting customs, I followed a Lufthansa standing banner to the AA baggage recheck area was told that United is on the other side. I recommend you move the United and Lufthansa signs to the hallway where United counter is and make it visible for passengers coming out of the door. At the United counter at baggage recheck, I found out that no seats were available in the cabin that was purchased. I asked for an exit row seat, and was glad that a window seat was available. Still hopeful, I headed to the Polaris Lounge, looking forward to a nice shower and some relaxation for my extra 3 hours. However, it wasn't meant to be. Even though I was on UA 8836 operated by Lufthansa, I was told that I cannot get into the Polaris Lounge. I explained my situation to Corey, but he stated that he does not make the policy. Turned away, not feeling happy about the entire trip which started with a 2+ hour delay on UA 960 (EWR-FRA, on March 3rd, had to taxi back to the gate to offload passengers and bags); more delays on LH 636 (RUH-FRA, the delay actually allowed me to make this flight); 3+ hour delay on UA 8836 and only having pretzels for between meal snacks; turned away at the Polaris Lounge; and, worst of all, missing my children's performance which I would've made if I had gotten on my original flight plan; I was left to contemplate my relationship with United.
RouteFRA to ORD
Date FlownMarch 2022

"truly terrible travel experience"

Trip Verified | A truly terrible travel experience. For a Gold member I expected much better. I was disrespected and dismissed every step along the way. Cancelled flights, delayed flights, missed connections, last minute seat assignment to Economy middle seat (while having paid for a Plus window seat), lost luggage. And on all that, being treated like I did something wrong and I should be happy with what I was offered. They are very lucky to be part of the Star Alliance network, otherwise I would never fly with them again.
RouteNewark to Fort Myers
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Very frustrating and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | I will never fly United Airlines again. Our airplane had mechanical issues and was delayed over 4 hours. We missed our connection and had to stay the night and are flying out tomorrow. Through the entire process the airport staff was completely sub-par. Don’t appear to know what's going on, how to be friendly or efficient at their job. Very frustrating and unprofessional. We later discovered the exact flight had been canceled for the same reason on each of the 2 previous days. Never ever again will I fly united if I can help it. Also, they put us at a hotel 20 min from the airport. We’ve encountered one inconvenience after another. United doesn’t seem to care about their customers.
AircraftCanadair crj-200
RouteButte to San Diego via Denver

"They exploit passengers"

Not Verified | I am a long time United traveler in Business class and have Global Status currently. For tickets which are $13,000 Round Trip, they don't offer even a vegetarian meal in the Business Polaris section for 15 hour flights. And several of my colleagues traveling with me who are from India who are vegetarian by birth and by religion have to go hungry. When reached Customer service, they don't help, interrupt and when request to transfer to Customer care, the customer care reps don't want to speak or keep interrupting or give standard answers of going to website. In flight amenities of business class keep going down, and the customer service keeps getting worse. They exploit passengers.
RouteSan Francisco to Tel Aviv
Date FlownMarch 2022

"cabin service was quite attentive"

Not Verified | This was my first time flying United and the 15 hour Chicago to New Delhi flight in the Economy Plus cabin (not Premium Economy) was quite pleasant. The Economy Plus section has enough legroom that I was quite comfortable through the long flight (I am 6 ft tall) and the cabin service was quite attentive and helpful. The IFE worked quite well and had a good selection of content to keep me entertained in between naps. However it was not all good. After paying over a 100 dollars and blocking a aisle seat in advance, I was quite irritated to find that I was relegated to a window seat and said I had to deal with it since it was a full flight. The first meal was adequate if not great but for a 15 hour flight, the second meal was a small snack which was quite inadequate for such a long flight, thankfully I had come prepared for worse with some snacks of my own but without them i would have been quite miserable.
RouteChicago to New Delhi
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"passengers should be alerted"

Trip Verified | The plane continuously circles the airport without letting passengers know. Then just sitting while the plane is landed for over a half hour without communication. This is unacceptable service, passengers should be alerted and told exactly what is going on with the flight they are physically in.
RouteSt. Louis to Newark