United Airlines

"I will pay more in the future to avoid them"

Trip Verified | United Airlines customer service and policy is atrocious. I booked a flight for a friend and we canceled due to COVID concerns. The ticket was paid for on my card, through my account. I later booked a flight using that canceled credit. Unfortunately I was never prompted to change traveler info and assumed it was under my name since it was through my account. This was not the case. When I attempted to get a simple name change for the flight I was told repeatedly I would need a new ticket. When I asked the purpose of their "non transferable" ticket policy I was met with silence and reiteration of the policy. The only thing this policy serves is to generate income. I was awarded a "certificate" that came conveniently after my travel so I was forced to be locked into a second flight with United. This is an underhanded tactic to scam customers into either paying for nothing and letting it go or paying twice locking you into more money with United. During a time of global crisis when people haven't seen family in literal years, United shines as a beacon of corporate greed with sour business tactics. Customer service was poorly educated and issue elevation to management was denied repeatedly. Once I use the certificate I will avoid United at all costs. I will pay more in the future to avoid them and deny them my business.
RouteChicago to Burlington
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Worst airline I’ve ever been on"

Not Verified | Worst airline I’ve ever been on. This is not my first terrible experience. They book your flights so close together that you almost always end up missing your next flight if there is any delay. It’s impossible to book something the next day. They book you for the following day and will not comp you food or hotel because they’ll blame weather. We got a new flight for the following day and then they couldn’t find that ticket In their system. They’re rude customer service, the flight staff asked to hold my baby and one even touched my babies head and tried again multiple times. Hello it’s a pandemic! The Supervisor at Denver airport was not helpful and honestly couldn’t care less.
RouteDenver to Portland
Date FlownMarch 2021

"United are separating parents from their children"

Not Verified | I booked a flight for our whole family 2 adults, a 1.5 yrs old, 6 yrs old and 9 yrs old. I wanted to check in in advance and I have noticed that United assigned my 1.5 yrs old baby to sit apart from us. I called the customer service to ask them to find us new seats so we can be seated together. The rep told me that she can not find any seats that we can sit all together and we must be separated, I explained her that due to covid 19, we must be seated together so we will make sure the kids are following all guidelines - then I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, and also she told me she can’t help me! This is outrageous! United are separating parents from their children - this is just unbelievable
RouteSacramento to Denver
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Disgusted in the service"

Trip Verified | I cannot believe how I was treated when I arrived to Fort Lauderdale airport to depart to O'Hare International Airport. I am a single mother traveling with the rest of my family (who was dealing with their own issues with the weight of baggage (they were unable to help me manage two small children). Previously when trying to check in my car seats (which they do not sit in on the actual plane), I would have zero issues with the person who would be checking my baggage in tagging them and letting me on my way. This time (both from Ohare to Fort Lauderdale and then coming back) the staff sent me and my 2 very young children on a wild goose chase. So, instead of taking the car seats and making it easier for me to travel essentially on my own. Anyway, I was told from the front desk of United Airlines by their staff that "they don't do the tags that I would need to go back to a kiosk and do it myself" Wonderful way to pass the buck on me. I went to the kiosk after wrangling in my kids to stay put in a busy airport, the week of spring break, to only discover that a staff member would have to come to the kiosk to assist me in getting the tags printed. So after waiting and almost losing my 3 and 7 years old a few times someone finally was able to make their way to me to help. After doing so, the tags were printed with her non so helpful attitude told me to go back into the same line I came out of to drop off my car seats. Can someone please tell me how this is a productive way of doing things? How you can look at a single mother of two young kids traveling during a busy time to tell them to jump through firey hoops, only to end up where she started? Disappointing and the lack of compassion is obvious. Disgusted in the service.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Worst experience so far with this airline"

Trip Verified | Just ridiculous, my first trip from msp to cak my plane was delayed 15 mins, okay whatever it's fine, after 15 mins it was further delayed for 1 hour, okay as long as I make my connecting flight its fine, after an hour it was delayed for 3 hours 45 mins due to mechanical issue. Okay wtf, now I have to call and reschedule a whole new flight while already being late for my business trip. Now on my flight back home everything is going fine I got on the plane and into my seat. "I'm sorry passenger we will be delaying the flight for 30 mins due to awaiting for passengers that have their flight delayed" "I'm sorry passengers we will be further delaying the flight for an additional 30 minutes due to waiting for those passengers" Absolutely ridiculous! Worst experience so far with this airline.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteAkron to Minneapolis via Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2021

"I will be buying my ticket with another airline"

Trip Verified | I purchased a ticket from Priceline which did not disclose the times of the flights but stated that each flight would be 0-1 stop. Upon buying my ticket, I saw that my last flight had 3 stops for a total of 20 hours. When I called to cancel or change my ticket, Priceline directed me to cancel through United. After contacting United, I was met with the same answer. Priceline again refused to cancel my ticket. After numerous attempts, I called United and asked if they could change my flights. I offered to be flexible with my dates and airports - I even offered to pay for the difference in fares. United claimed they could do absolutely nothing since I had bought the ticket elsewhere. They are expecting me to fly 20 hours without any effort to help my situation. Now I have to take the loss, buy another ticket so I can get vaccinated accordingly. I will be buying my ticket with another airline.
RouteSanta Ana to Hartford
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Interesting to say the least"

Not Verified | I have not been on a family vacation for over 30 years. My wife and I felt that we needed a vacation one last time before the end of our lives. We are both in our late 60's. We booked our return flight with United Airlines. The week before our flight, my wife had a terrible reaction to one of her medications. We considered going to the ER for 2 days. Our family doctor felt he was not equipped to handle her case and she needed to see a specialist. We are currently trying to get in to see someone. I called United and said that we were unable to use our tickets. (flights are not leaving for almost 2 weeks) (return from vac). My real concern would be if someone canceled because of Covid symptoms. Would they finally say screw it, it is not worth the hassle of trying to get my money back. I am going to use the flight! Interesting to say the least.
RouteCharlston to South Carolina via Pittsburgh
Date FlownMarch 2021

"nothing enjoyable about a United flight"

Trip Verified | There’s absolutely nothing enjoyable about a United flight. The boarding order is frustrating, the paying for seat selection. We got the seats in front of the exit aisle that can’t recline and without extra leg room. The flight was hot and crowded. Someone was vaping some terrible smell. There was no drink service. Plenty of water but no other options provided. The WiFi cut out so often you couldn’t use the private screening they love to advertise.
AircraftCRJ
RouteDenver to Nashville
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Check in process was chaotic"

Not Verified | Check in process was chaotic. I could not able to get my boarding pass online, neither at the kiosk at Newark airport. When I found an employee, she was not helpful at all. I had to go to a desk and see an associate. She checked everything and said “You did not pay for the flight, so United won’t give you a boarding pass tonight.” I showed her my the credit card charge and the confirmation received in email. She said she does not see on her system that I had paid for it. Then she called someone, had my card verified and charged the fare again. This entire thing took 45 minutes. I bought this ticket 2 days prior to flying and if United had any issues in terms of payment, why did they never send me an email? Cabin was fine, but cabin crews did not smile, worked as robots. IFE, seats, interiors looked stunning. Selection of movies was limited. Food options were limited too. I don’t want to fly with United but there’re not many options out there to fly non-stop to Delhi.
RouteNewark to Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2021

"United just lost a loyal customer"

Not Verified | I originally booked a non stop flight from SFO to MCO on April 1,2021. I have a group of 12 passengers flying with United at the same time on the same flight. United has changed my flight without a notification. The reason I selected the non stop flight is due to my daughter has anxiety traveling. Now we have a stop in IAH which I did not want to stop. The changes to this flight requires us to get a hotel now which is a big inconvenience. We were arriving in MCO at 7:15am on 4/2/21. Now United has us traveling for 8 hours with a stop in IAH and arriving in MCO at 11:00pm on 4/1/21. I have to make a lot of changes to my schedule with a group of 12 passengers. This is not considered to the passengers who made the reservation and booking the flight red eye so folks will not miss work nor school. I have to change my transportation to the airport. The reason its so upsetting is because we had other options to travel with. Now we stuck traveling with United due to prices has went up on other airlines. This is the 2nd time United has changed my flight within a year to what its best for them. The reason for booking ahead of time is for proper preparation. I never received a email notification but I did received the confirmation email. Trying to address the issue with United. I was on hold for 45 minutes. United just lost a loyal customer.
RouteSan Francisco to Orlando