United Airlines

"Overpriced for this subpar service"

Not Verified | Got rebooked by the airline on a much later flight without notice. Horrible customer service, 50% of the flights are late. Overpriced for this subpar service, the worst airline on star alliance in my experience.
RouteSarasota to Denver
Date FlownOctober 2021

"I am highly disappointed in the company"

Trip Verified | Purchased tickets pre covid which ended up being canceled. We had to pay additional $400 for our tickets to keep our credit even though it was a pandemic. This year we rebooked our tickets paying $3000 more which is being canceled again due to covid. We have no option to keep as a credit unless we pay more money. We are already in this trip $6000. Why do we need to pay more to keep the credit we paid for if we can't fly because of a pandemic happening. This was not a personal choice. I am highly disappointed in the company for not seeing this pandemic happening and understanding the situation we face today. Our tickets were canceled, only getting a measly $2000 back after we paid $6000 and now it takes 3 months to receive the refund. Such a waste of money and time. We even purchased insurance on the original tickets which did nothing and didn't protect us one bit.
RoutePortland to Vegas
Date FlownMay 2021

"United had cancelled my flight not me"

Trip Verified | After 27 days I have yet to hear back from United Customer Care on my case. I sent them a chronological history of my issue for them to review. Basically United cancelled the second leg of my flight in Aug from Dulles to Fort Myers and rebooked me on another flight from Chicago to Fort Myers however the flight they selected was not going to work so I called and talked to an agent. I found another flight that worked however the agent told me that he could not book me on the Economy Plus seats I already paid for but would have to put me in first class and the price was $805 per person. I had no choice but to book the ticket as the flight was 2 days later and I needed to get home. The interesting thing is that on the first leg of the trip from Portland to Chicago I upgraded to first class and it was $329 per person so the cost went up 2x plus and United had cancelled my flight not me. When we got on the flight there were numerous open seats in Economy Plus and Economy so not sure why he couldn't book me in one of those classes. I have posted on Face Book, Linkedin etc but still no reply and they won't provide me a telephone number for Customer Care.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RoutePortland to Ft Myers via Chicago
Date FlownAugust 2021

"short of even snacks for 5 hours"

Not Verified | Flight #3452 to Chicago, Friday Sep 24 2021, delay and changing the gates 4 times. The terminal announcement didn't match the text we were sent and created so much chaos. Then flight 1066 going from Chicago to SFO: we had to sit for an hour in the airplane with seat belts on waiting for the meal caterer to deliver hot meal to the airplane which never happened and the plane took off, short of even snacks for 5 hours.
RouteDetroit to San Francisco via Chicago O'Hare

"He is an inspiration"

Not Verified | FLT 1873 from San Antonio to Houston on Saturday, Sept 2021. The Captain is an exceptional human being. He met with many of the passengers on the jet way asking how they were and what their destination plans were. He proceeded to address the passengers before departure. Referring to the pandemic and what we as decent human beings should treat one another during these trying times. He also asked that his crew, who were awesome as well, be treated with respect and courtesy. He is an inspiration and one that should be emulated by the entire pilot fleet for United and the rest of the industry.
RouteSan Antonio to Houston
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"full of garbage and used napkins"

Trip Verified | I boarded flight 504 serviced EWR to SFO. I’m extremely disappointed and very disgusted to found that a seat (54A) pocket in front of me has a full of garbage and used napkins underneath of my seat. Cabin crews was notified, no apology was given. Most cabin seem unhappy. I would this matter to be investigate and follow up with appropriate actions. United in flight announcements stated aircrafts are cleaned and disinfected after each flights, apparently this is absolutely a fraud advertisement.
RouteNewark to San Francisco
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Give poor excuses over and over"

Not Verified | United cancel flights, Change schedules, Give poor excuses over and over (i.e. Crew / Aircraft arrive late - who is responsible?), Technical issues (safety is our priority), Weather (even if is sunny and beautiful). All the airlines can have occasional issues: With United is a routine: You never know if you are going to get to your destination on time (not only the hour, but day!). I paid Business for this trip, after 2 hours waiting for some technical issues: they cancel the flight. No worries a new aircraft is coming, 3 hours later (I already lost my connections) boarded again, second aircraft also had technical problems, 2 hours later cancelled this one. If you ran you can get another flight, so ran and get a beautiful Economy seat, arrive to Houston 9 hours later, we only have economy seats for you tomorrow. but I paid Business, yes but. Now no refund and a thin certificate as compensation, United Airlines - Friendly skies (sarcasm).
RoutePortland to Denver to Mexico via Houston
Date FlownAugust 2021

"a very disorganized airline"

Not Verified | My girlfriend and I had booked through Expedia with United a trip in December of 2020 which we canceled. We got the option of rebooking, which we did on September 12 of 2021 when we booked a one way flight from Newark Int. Airport to Miami Int. Airport using the credit we had (the flight was scheduled for September 19th). At the time of booking the flight the tickets where between $ 100 and $ 150 for each, and we had enough credit for the tickets so nothing extra was charged to us. We even got an email with the confirmation number for the flight and everything was normal until then. However, on the 19th, we were not able to check in online due to a "missing payment", which we had no clue about it, we never get notified about a charge. After calling many time and spoken with a United agent, we were told to pay an extra $460 for each of us if we wanted to flight on our same flight, otherwise we had to wait until the next day. Although we did not want to pay that huge amount of money, we end up paying it because we needed to travel that day. United Airlines charged us the tickets as if we were buying it the 19th, at that huge price, even when we got it a week before and got an email confirmation with not charge. The story didn’t end there, after paying it and getting to Newark’s airport, we get notified at the gate that the flight was overbooked, so we had to wait for 2 volunteers in order for us to get on board, we were the last two persons to get on board. It was our first time flying with United and we are not willing to do it again, it was our worst experience at an airport. United Airlines is a very disorganized airline and has no respect for they customers. I feel very disappointed and unrespectful as a customer.
RouteNewark to Miami

"rotten customer service"

Not Verified | Outbound flight (s) were fine. For my return, United changed my itinerary from a 6 hour, 1 stop journey to a 15 hour 2 stop journey. Changing to a more reasonable flight cost me an additional $125, and means my wife will have to drive an additional 90 miles to a regional airport to pick me up. I recognize that schedules change for legitimate business reasons, but going from 6 to 15 hours without any offer of assistance or accommodation is rotten customer service.
RouteWatertown, SD to Flagstaff, AZ
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"The service is terrible"

Trip Verified | The service is terrible. We planned this flight 3 months in advance and when we got on the plane they said there was a technical issue with the planes breaks. It ended up delaying our flight for two hours which lead us to miss all our connecting flights. When we got there they would not let us switch to a different airline to get to our destination on time. We are not staying at the airport on standby until the next available flight which is not until the next day. Not only is this an inconvenience but we are losing money on our hotels, rentals and missing a day of our events. They are not willing to work with us on a refund or any type of compensation.
RouteSalt Lake City to Columbus via Denver