United Airlines

"actually pretty good"

Trip Verified | United Airlines was actually pretty good on this 9.5 hour flight, with a modern cabin and tons of entertainment selections. The food was all right, but they served way too little for such a long daytime flight. The flight being half empty also helped, and the Star Wars safety video slaps. ZRH airport is really nice, IAD not so much, but it is an American airport so no surprise there. Anyways, good flight United!
RouteZurich to Washington
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never fly United Airlines again"

Not Verified | I am flying to Houston for a wedding. I have a luggage the size of a carry on & didn’t think anything of it when I bought my ticket. I did not know that with basic economy you don’t even get an option to bring a carry on. My flight was already changed to 12:30 from my initial 10am arrival flight but I had to take it because my sisters wedding dinner starts at 3!! I called & there isn’t even an option anymore to upgrade my flight because it’s full. But I’m sure the cabin space isn’t! I will be forced to pay $40 to & from Houston for a bag half full but I don’t want to ball my bridesmaids dress up in a backpack just to not pay the fees! How do completely strip a customers option to bring their luggage on the aircraft if there is room & capability to do so. I will never fly United Airlines again because of this reason alone
AircraftBoeing 737-700W
RouteChicago to Houston
Date FlownJuly 2020

"No offer of a full refund"

Not Verified | We were scheduled to take a trip to Europe mid-May. Due to COVID travel bans, we called to inquire on the flight status and were told that the flight was still scheduled. However after giving the customer service representative our confirmation number and ticket numbers, we were told we were not on the flight list and soon learned that our account had been hacked, our flights were cancelled, the hacker was issued a voucher, and then booked a flight to Cancun. We requested a full refund (which was not immediately offered). This necessitated countless follow up emails and phone calls over the past two months, which United ultimately denied. They issued us vouchers (minus the trip insurance). No offer of a full refund, no apology for the security breach.
RouteDenver to London
Date FlownMay 2020

"get the refund from the travel agency"

Not Verified | Eight of us booked flight to Prague in March from New York to Prague and cancelled the flight due to COVID-19. United Airline refused to refund our three hundred dollars as cancellation fee. We appealed the top management to review our case since March but they kept on asking us to get the refund from the travel agency despite the travel agency told us the cancellation fees were with United Airlines. Customer satisfaction is only a slogan to United. It's a pity that United Airlines never learned the lessons from all the scandals related to customer service in the past years and never intend to rebuild its reputation.
RouteNew York to Prague
Date FlownMarch 2020

"customer service is bad"

Not Verified | United is the worst airline you will ever experience. Their customer service is bad, treatment is bad, every thing is bad.They took 2 months to respond on my refund request of 5000$ tickets for flights that they cancelled based on the COVID 19 lockdown, and instead of refunding the money, they offered travel vouchers, as if we will use this unprofessional airline again in future. Think twice, they don’t care about you, they care about your money indeed.
RouteHouston to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"should be ashamed of their behavior"

Trip Verified | I had an extremely horrific experience with United Airlines and Dollar UA in December 2019. The booking process went smoothly. The flight was a typical United flight - uncomfortable on an airplane the belonged in 1986. The issue came when I went to the rental car counter - I showed them my reservation and they did not have it. They claimed that I booked my reservation for the non-airport location. I had to bring up my email confirmation that proved otherwise. This caused a stir at the counter as they weren’t sure they would have a car for me. Mind you, it was about 8PM at night, and I had a 2-hour car ride to look forward to. Coupled with the aforementioned terrible flight, I wasn’t in the mood to be told there was no car availability when I had a reservation. I was able to get a car, but I had to pay extra due to the reservation “mixup” (if you can call it that). I filed a complaint with United Airlines and Dollar UA. United and Dollar UA accused me of changing my reservation to the non-airport car rental location, despite my email confirmation as proof that I did no such thing and chose the airport location to begin with. Both companies ignored several follow-ups and pleas to look at my case. In fact, at one point, they were pointing fingers at each other, trying to send me running in circles. I even emailed the CEO and COO of United and of course, heard crickets. The extreme amount of disrespect, disregard for human nature, and overall extremely poor customer service sickened me. I escalated matters to BBB. BBB did not resolve my case. BBB ignored my email confirmation that I booked for the airport pick-up location and sided with Dollar and United. It was extremely frustrating that I was being ignored for booking a car online and choosing the location that I intended. I did everything right in my reservation process. United and Dollar were both at fault and it was obvious they simply do not care about their customer. They stole from me, and then tried to make me look like the bad guy for their egregious and obvious error. Their lack of accountability and sheer unprofessional behavior drove me to continue pushing the matter. My initial escalation in this matter started at the beginning of January 2020. It is mid-June and it is just being resolved now. It has taken 2 months of escalations to come to a resolution, after me getting nowhere by myself for 4 months. It is a long saga that I am happy is now over. Will I ever fly United again, or book with Dollar UA? Absolutely not, and as a consumer reading this, I hope you don’t either. Their unprofessionalism and lack of customer service (while they operate in a customer service industry) is simply shocking. I have no more words to describe the unsightly behavior I witnessed by United and Dollar UA representatives. They should be ashamed of their behavior and I hope one day they can learn a hard lesson that devaluing and manipulating the customer is not an okay option.
RouteSan Francisco to Portland
Date FlownDecember 2019

"refuses to refund my rescheduling fee"

Not Verified | I booked a flight for my daughter from Amsterdam to Los Angeles with a lay-over in Washington. United Airlines changed her flight where she had a 4 hour lay-over in New York. I was concerned about this given the COVID-19 situation there, so I rescheduled her flight to go through Frankfurt and paid an 85 dollar rescheduling fee. Now United rescheduled her flight again and she is back on the same flight as before with the 4 hour lay-over in New York, but United refuses to refund my rescheduling fee. How is that fair?
RouteAmsterdam to New York via Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2020

"Great customer service"

Not Verified | I would like to give 5 stars to St Louis location United Airlines. My elderly mother had a great fear of a flight, and Sherry had taken personal care to make sure she is safe on a plane. Great customer service. I will definitely fly with this company again!!!
Date FlownJune 2020

"has the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Albuquerque to Houston. I will never fly with United Airlines again. They do not offer any assistance due to weather conditions. My layover in Houston was cancelled due to tornados in the area and UA went to San Antonio airport instead. I had to switch to a different flight for the morning and pay out of pocket for a hotel and food with zero assistance from the airline. My flight in the morning was also delayed an hour but they don’t care. The fact that they can treat a person like this is insane. Airlines are in the customer service industry and United has the worst customer service. Don’t bother
RouteAlbuquerque to Houston
Date FlownMay 2020

"I cannot accept this rudeness"

Trip Verified | I asked the United agent working the desk at the gate for a boarding pass. She was rude and demanded to know where my boarding pass was and then ridiculed me for not having it. I stepped aside and said I cannot accept this rudeness. I walked down to another United gate and was treated respectfully by the agent and received my boarding pass. Why does united retain these kind of people?
RouteKansas City to Durango