United Airlines

"the guy next to me never had his mask over his nose"

Not Verified | Where to start. The hidden charges are over the top. I started with a $290 fare that ended with a $434 bill. For a one-hour flight. Plus if you don't purchase a seat at the time of purchase there may not be a seat when you get to the airport. $35 for a checked bag that measures 12x16x4 is more than outrageous. Onboard there's a small cup of soda and not a peanut or pretzel insight. Not that I care but for the cost of the ticket I should have filet minion. But what bothered me the most was the Mask protocol. They ran pre-recorded announcements every fifteen minutes or so - even at the gate before boarding. It talked about wearing masks over the nose and mouth and how bandanas were not acceptable. Yet, on the way to Bend, the guy next to me never had his mask over his nose. There was not one time the attendant asked him to pull it up - even as he ordered more drinks from them. On the way back from Bend the guy across the aisle was wearing a bandana but no one brought him a mask, 10% of the people didn't have the mask covering their nose. Including the person in the wheelchair with an airport escort, wasn't told to pull up his mask. I will do anything I can not to never take United again.
RouteBerkeley to Redmond
Date FlownNovember 2021

"flight attendants are absolutely rude"

Trip Verified | Super unprofessional and the flight attendants are absolutely rude and target people they don’t like. They are not a diverse group or a comfortable, safe feeling airline to take. They don’t clean the flight or the seats before the flights as I had a banana peel in my seat.
RoutePhoenix to San Francisco
Date FlownJuly 2021

"This airline is terrible!"

Trip Verified | Only 2 food selection for a 5 1/2 hour flight, need to pre-register your Credit card before you board the plane or they won’t allow you to pay for any onboard drinks or food. Flight attendant giving us a lecture on how we even got on the flight without pre/registering our credit card. Trying to watch a movie with on-board entertainment app and it kept buffering every 4-5 minutes, flight attendant suggested I walk up to the front of the plane to get the signal back. This airline is terrible! And sadly do not care about their customers or the experience flying with them 2-10 rating..
RouteHonolulu to San Francisco

"Absolutely terrible"

Trip Verified | Absolutely terrible. This was my first time flying with them. Didn’t even board the plane it was delayed for some computer glitch. Then went to the counter to receive help the lady did not help me fix my connection. I went back out of security to go talk to the people working the desk to try and get some help as I am only 18 trying to get home to my parents I was then said I don’t even know what you expect me to do and then left with zero help. Went to the Alaska desk and they happily helped me and comforted me switch my flight over from United to actually get to my destination.
RouteSanta Barbara to San Francisco
Date FlownNovember 2021

"telling us our luggage wouldn’t arrive"

Trip Verified | Went to check luggage and the clerk told us our luggage wouldn’t be in Denver when we landed, it would be on the next flight and we would have to go back to airport to retrieve it. She couldn’t tell us why or anything and recommended we check at gate, not telling us TSA would take our items that couldn’t be in a carry on. I asked if we could get reimbursed for it and they referred me back to United. United States they aren’t responsible for what TSA does. I just really don’t appreciate The agent telling us our luggage wouldn’t arrive
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteNashville to Denver
Date FlownNovember 2021

"I’m avoiding United at all costs"

Trip Verified | Landed at 2.32 or so, ahead of schedule, but then because of their bad operations there was a plane at our gate and we have been waiting for it to move for nearly an hour. It is now 3.24 and we have not moved an inch. If you can, fly any other airline. This could have been solved with better operations. I’m avoiding United at all costs unless they make up for this somehow.
RouteBoston to Newark
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Will never Fly United again!"

Not Verified | At the airport for my return flight, we were greeted at baggage by the rudest person ever. I had fractured my ankle and was in a wheelchair. Not only did he not help me at all, but he very blatantly called my family ignorant. Then he walked away and refused to help us. A manager was called for his behavior and we were told that there was nothing United could do about him as he was a contract employee. I have never been called ignorant by a professional and I hope I never do again. Corporate was called and they got all the information and told us there was going to be an investigation and mean while they took off my upgrade which was like $37.00. They told me they would contact me further once the investigation was completed for further refund. It has been a month now, and I still have not heard anything from them. Will never Fly United again!
RouteBaltimore to Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2021

"They've continually refused any assistance"

Not Verified | This airline would rather fly me through a war zone than provide a refund or work with their partner airline to re-route itineraries. I flew from the U.S. to Malawi in October 2021, via Frankfurt and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. While I've been in Malawi, the conflict in Ethiopia has worsened to the point where the Embassy has warned travelers to avoid travel through Ethiopia and the FAA has issued an advisory warning that aircraft flying through the country may be subject to ground-to-air weapons fire. As the conflict has escalated, I've reached out to customer service several times to ask them to either re-route me or issue a refund so that I could afford to purchase a different, safe flight home in December. They've continually refused any assistance, nor has the flight insurance I purchased from UA been able to help. Don't fly this airline.
RouteDes Moines to Addis Ababa via Lilongwe
Date FlownOctober 2021

"horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I will never use this airline again. I was flying from san diego to MCI and had a layover at IAN (Houston). My first flight was fine, no delays, just a jam-packed flight. I arrived at IAH and walked to my connecting flight. All was good and I was there 10 mins before boarding, the screen said boarding in 10 mins. However, about 5 min before boarding the screen changed to cancel. Nobody knew what was going on, not even flight attendants. We got a text saying that we had to fly to Chicago the next day and then to KCI because obviously the flight was canceled. The flight had a layover of about 4 hours and clearly, some passengers had to arrive at a specific time due to family, plans etc. We were all pretty much told we were out of luck. We got a 10 dollar food voucher however at this time it was nearly 11:30 and no food places were open. Put us in some dingy hotel. I needed to get my luggage so that I could change and charge my laptop and then after waiting nearly 1.5 hours for my bag, I went and asked the united baggage claim where it was, and they said well sorry your bag is in Chicago. Ended up flying Delta without my luggage and took an earlier flight so that I could still see my family and get to Kansas earlier. That being said, my luggage was on the plane from Chicago to Kansas and I had to wait for it to arrive. I got to MCI at 11:15 and my luggage was supposed to arrive at 11:00. The flight my luggage was on had a 5 hour delay and I had to wait in the MCI airport for an additional 4.5 hours after arriving. The moral of the story, United Airlines has horrible customer service, they won't even help you in person unless you cause a scene and even then it's nearly impossible. Rather than in person, they tell you to just use a QR code to speak with support, and even once you reach that person it is very clear that you're not speaking to someone fluent in English/knows what you're talking about. Unreliable and easily the worst flight experience that I have had in my LIFE.
RouteSan Diego to Kansas City via Houston
Date FlownNovember 2021

"zero communication throughout the entire experience"

Not Verified | The worst airline and worst customer service! Do not fly with United. They left me stranded on an island with no promise to get home. There was zero communication throughout the entire experience. Upon calling, I was hung up by 4 people. No one has helped us at all. They also on this flight broke my suitcase!
RouteNewark to St. Thomas