United Airlines

"delay was 4 hours long"

Trip Verified | Horrible airline and delay was 4 hours long in the middle of the night. Staff wasn’t horrible but the seats were so stiff and bad. Barely any movie selection and the whole plane smelled terrible. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
RouteNewark to Kansas city
Date FlownJuly 2022

"our first flight with UA but it was a horrible experience"

Trip Verified | My flight is UA1756 on July 29, 2022. This was our first flight with UA but it was a horrible experience. First of all, at YVR, we were waiting for someone to call our group number to be in line for boarding but no one called our group number which is 3. We are obeying the sign (which said be seated till your group 3, 4 or 5 is called). Finally we saw some with group 3 are waiting in line so we then got up to wait in line but we were told we had to leave our carry on luggage to be put away. After landing, no one told us where to pick up our luggage and it asked 4 to 5 UA staff to find out where to pick up. In the aircraft, these flight attendants are not professionals, unfriendly and very bad service is offered. The return flight UA 608 on Aug 2, 2022 was much much better. That is why I will give a one star to UA. Hopefully the good crews are awarded and the bad crews are fired. It is hurting the reputation and this review is going to be posted in the internet as well. By the way, my seat is broken and can't be adjusted.
RouteVancouver to Los Angeles
Date FlownAugust 2022

"by far the worst airline in business in the USA"

Trip Verified | I fly regularly to Europe and I can say with 100% confidence that United Airlines is by far the worst airline in business in the USA. On this occasion I flew to Berlin on July 22, 2022 and they managed to lose my luggage. I haven’t recovered it as of Aug 5 2022. On my way back from Berlin to Kansas City on Aug 5, after cancelations again and delayed rebooked flights, I am supposed to be in Kansas City at 12.40am, when the expected time for me to be there was 8.15pm. What bothers me the most is the complete lack of cooperation of the employees. However in the end, I hope people who got a nightmare of a vacation because of this airline, demand that their leader, their CEO, be fired. This would be a fair thing to do at least!
RouteBerlin to Kansas City via Newark
Date FlownAugust 2022

"United had overbooked the flight"

Not Verified | Nearly 24 hrs before leaving from Omaha we received notice our flight may be delayed due to weather. After checking weather for both Omaha and Denver we were unable to find any type of weather that would delay our flight. Upon arrival in Omaha the next morning for departure our flight was listed as on time. Nearing departure time there started to be a light drizzle/sprinkle (no lightning). All other outgoing airlines were still flying (Southwest, Tac-air, etc.). Our pilot came out and explained he's been flying for over 20 years in the industry and he said we would not be leaving on time. After an hour long wait it was determined we were finally clear to leave. After boarding the plane there was a long delay while stewardess tried to figure out how to fit more people on the plane than there were seats. United had overbooked the flight. Due to this delay we were late catching our connecting flight in Denver which we missed by 6 minutes. Yes 6. United refused to hold our connecting flight fort 6 minutes and we were forced to holdover in Denver and try to find other connections. This was United's one saving grace as the manager in charge of fixing these errors was able to get all 6 of our group on a connecting flight an hour and a half later. Between a pilot who wanted to be overly cautious during a spotty shower and United overbooking our first leg of the trip it nearly cost us our family vacation. Plus never even got so much as a sorry except from the manager who helped fix the mistake and only got to talk to her after dealing with a very snippy customer service rep and me losing my temper and asking to see a manager.
RouteOmaha to Denver
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I recommend this airline"

(Spain)

Not Verified | This airline is one of the best, sure, they have constant delays, but that's normal f9r lots of airlines, first of all, the seats are very good, very comfortable, the staff is very nice, the food is delicious. The only problem I had, is that I got one of my suitcases broken, but it's a very fragile material. I recommend this airline. The movie and TV series in the IFE selection is very nice and they have very good movies and series.
AircraftBoeing 767-400ER
RouteMadrid to Houston via Newark
Date FlownApril 2022

"I will never travel with United again"

Trip Verified | To begin, an incompetent United associate scheduled a 52-minute layover at O’Hare Airport. When I discovered the flight change 3 months later they refused to deal with me, even though I was the passenger, and would only talk to my travel agent. They failed to notify me that they changed my flight to something unfeasible. 52 minutes to change flights at O’Hare? Eventually, I was able to get it changed. The two passengers in my row for my transatlantic flight were a 6-hour & 15-minute nightmare. I sat next to a big man who used my leg space, even to the point of touching my leg with his the entire night. I never slept. His continuous loud yawns and his arm and elbow into my seat space didn’t help. Next to him was a younger guy who appeared to be sick. I thought he was going to throw up, but he just burped/hiccuped very loudly for most of the flight. The flight attendants had to constantly ask him to move his legs and feet, which wasn't easy, especially when they repeatedly had trouble waking him when they tried to move the cart down the aisle. Why didn’t the flight attendants notice either passenger and do something? Months before departure I called United with my request for vegetarian fare. Incredulously, the flight attendants asked every passenger if they wanted the cheeseburger or veggie burger on the return flight so that, by the time they got to me, there was only one left. When I told the flight attendant I had preordered, she replied, coldly, “There’s no pre-ordering.” If this is true, why does United offer the ability to do so? The guy behind me was not as fortunate as I. Despite having pre-ordered, they had no vegetarian meals left. Needless to say, he was very upset as he ended up not eating. Why was this allowed to happen? What is the purpose of enabling you to request a dietary choice in advance if it will not be honored, especially after everyone else on the plane is given a choice that ultimately exhausts the supply of that which you ordered? Flight from Newark to San Diego--I had to endure a screaming, crying baby, which began before the flight began and lasted for the entire flight. Every few minutes throughout the flight, this baby/toddler would let out with a high-pitched scream that was painful. Never mind why the parents would inflict this torture on fellow passengers—why would United Airlines? Why didn’t United take action? This 6-hour & 55-minutes was pure torture. Again, United personnel looked the other way. I tore my used anti-bacterial wipe to stuff in each ear. It might have helped a little, but the pieces of paper were not earplugs, so I spent most of the long flight holding them pushed into my ears with my fingers. On the same flight, there was a rude stewardess. She chose to ignore me instead of answering my question when I asked her where she was going with my bag that I had stowed over my row before I sat. For some reason, she moved it down the aisle. Would it have been so difficult to reply when I asked her calmly where she was taking it? Instead, she just gave me an unfriendly look and continued. When the plane was in the air, the cart moved down the aisle to offer drinks, she and another stewardess decided not to offer me a drink, even though they gave them to the people sitting next to me. I wasn't asleep. I had to raise my voice to get them to come back. United Airlines is not the first-class airlines I thought they once were. I will never travel with United again.
AircraftBoeing 737-900 / 757-200 / A319
RouteSan Diego to Reykjavik via Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Worst airline I’ve ever flown"

Trip Verified | Worst airline I’ve ever flown, plane was delayed in Denver got to San Francisco for a connecting flight, made it to that gate 15 minutes before departure but it left early. Got to sit in the airport for 7 hours! How does a connecting flight leave early when the flight connecting to it is late! I don’t even want to start talking about the poor customer service! Would not ever fly United Airlines again. I honestly could have driven here quicker.
RouteDenver to San Louis Obispo
Date FlownAugust 2022

"separated from the rest of your party"

Trip Verified | This is the best airline to choose if you want to be separated from the rest of your party. I rode a flight from Cancun, Mexico to Denver, Colorado and was separated from the person I bought my ticket with, we tried changing seats but it was “not” possible, we were only a row apart so it wasn’t that bad. We had a layover in Denver and it happened again, however, this time we were separated by 20 rows and I was placed in a seat which one would have to pay for. I spoke two of their kiosk agents, both who had said I had to pay to move my seat but to my knowledge, if no one buys the $92 seat next to me, the airline would assign someone automatically. The kiosk agents said they had no supervisors to speak to and to wait for a physical agent. My party was not the only one affected on this flight, there were at least 5 other parties that were, one being a family of 6 that had little kids involved, the agents did say this was the only way they would change seats but everyone on our flight was separated. Our physical agent fixed all of our seats but it makes no sense to automatically separate parties in the first place- especially if you’re going to give one of the members a seat you would otherwise have to pay $92 for.
RouteDenver to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2022

"I won’t fly with United again"

Trip Verified | Booked the trip through Lufthansa, despite paying a high ticket price for the round trip (>1,500 $), I was put in economy basic fare. Having a Lufthansa Senator Status, I assumed the staff would try to accommodate and provide service where possible. On my inbound flight with Air Canada all worked very well and was put in a good seat. When I politely asked United staff whether I could change my seat, the man at the gate made fun of me saying "she has basic economy" and turned around not caring. Even though I understand that basic economy does not include a seat selection (which it does on most other star alliance flights for status customers), I would assume to be treated in a nicer way. Frankly speaking, I have a lot and have never been treated this way as a frequent traveler. Simple put: they don’t care! I won’t fly with United again, unless I have to.
RouteChicago to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"This airline absolutely doesn't care about their customers"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | I'm an exchange student from Europe and this is my first summer in the US. I was traveling from Europe to Nashville via Chicago with United Airlines. In Chicago I saw my baggage for the last time, it was my last connecting flight. After arriving to Nashville my baggage was lost, I went directly to customer service, ask them what's happened and I submitted claim for delayed baggage. They told me that it usually takes five days to find delayed baggage. You know what? It's already 7th week and I still didn't get any information about my baggage and they didn't even pay for my lost baggage. I'm just student and I had in this luggage stuff for 3 months and I lost everything. This airline absolutely doesn't care about their customers and they even don't trying to solve problems. This would never happen on European Airlines. I can't understand how bad attitude can have this Airlines to customers. It's the last time what I have flown with United Airlines, so be careful if you want to fly with them. Thank you United Airlines that you made my first stay in US so hard I will never forget this!
RouteBudapest to Nashville via Chicago