United Airlines

"Changed me and my girlfriend's flight time"

Not Verified | Changed me and my girlfriend's flight time from 11.30 pm to the early afternoon of the same day without notifying us of this change in advance of us showing up to the airport. Then when called recommended I just go home despite being basically stranded at the airport. Our hotel and Air BnB reservations are now being wasted and we have lost a day of our vacation. Though they did change our flight to a 7 am one. I'm currently writing this with an 8 hour wait ahead of me at the airport.
RoutePortland to Miami via Chicago
Date FlownApril 2021

"Polaris business class is worth the money"

Trip Verified | This was my return trip from Tampa to San Francisco. Flying has been my greatest fear! I was on flight UA1939 Tampa to Denver, FC seats 1a and 1 b, the flight crew recognized that I wasn't comfortable flying and stayed very attentive to me during the entire flight. I wasn't any less afraid but, this helped. Our trip San Francisco to Newark New Jersey was excellent, Polaris business class is worth the money!
RouteTampa to Denver via San Francisco
Date FlownApril 2021

"What is the use of buying a seat"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket from Orlando to Denver one way on United flight 1596. In addition to the ticket cost $426, I paid $58 for my seat 15F. As I was boarding the lady at the gate gave me another boarding pass with the seat 11F. and told me she “moved me up to row 11”. I did not start an argument because I was travelling in an emergency and had to be in Denver. 1) My prepaid seat 15F was more expensive and spacious than 11F. 2) The gate agent could have asked me before changing my seat as I was at the gate almost an hour before departure. 3) What is the use of buying a seat if airline will not keep their end of the contract.
RouteOrlando to Denver
Date FlownApril 2021

"This has been the worst experience ever in flying"

Trip Verified | This has been the worst experience ever in flying. First we were late leaving Columbia, MO due to lack of personnel. Then in Chicago we loaded and unloaded 2 times before being stranded for the night. The flight is scheduled for tomorrow morning. So I will be sleeping in the airport tonight. No accommodations was offered! This is totally unacceptable! I will not be flying United ever again!
RouteColumbia to Ft Myers via Chicago
Date FlownApril 2021

"United Airlines hasn’t even offered any compensation"

Trip Verified | We booked trips with friends to Costa Rica. On the way down they changed our flight to go through LAX with a super quick layover, while our friends were on a Houston layover flight. Our first aircraft seemed old compared to the ones we are used to on Delta. We made the flight in LAX to Costa Rica and then we were told that we would be waiting for a part that would take 30 minutes. (This second plane looked older too with no screens in headrests on an international flight). Then, after 20 minutes on the plane, they said we would need to deplane for a quick, easy repair. We exited the plane and they told us we would need to reboard our flight in 30-45 minutes. Needless to say, an hour later they let us know that we would be taking a different plane in 2-3 more hours. So here we sit, in a crowded terminal, with no real end in sight on our one vacation we take a year. Meanwhile, our friends, who somehow didn’t get bumped off our original flight through Houston, will get into the resort at least 6 hours before us. Also, we will incur the extra expense of having to take our own shuttle service (of over an hour) because we can’t split the cost of it with them because they don’t want to wait for us for endless hours at the airport. United Airlines hasn’t even offered any compensation, like they would have done on Southwest or Delta, had they delayed us this long.
RouteSalt Lake City to Liberia via Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2021

"missing items from my baggage"

Trip Verified | I have been a MileagePlus member for 7 years and have traveled numerous times with United and was mostly satisfied with their service. But on the last 12 months I have traveled 4 times and on 3 of this trips I have come home to find out missing items from my baggage. The first 2 claims were paid but my 3rd claim was denied according to the wording on the denial letter because I falsified/altered information. I explained to the representative that I probably misunderstood/overlooked the question and that it was not intentionally. I erroneously answered "No" to a question that should have been a "Yes" and for that I was treated as trying to commit fraud. I'm disappointed with United handling of my claim but I guess my mistake worked in their favor and they used it to avoid having to pay my claim. Anyone traveling with United should be very careful of safekeeping their valuable because the first time my property went missing from my checked baggage after that I decided to only pack my more valuable item on my carry-on to be on the safe side but on my connecting flight we were instructed to check our carry-on due to being a full flight and yes I came home to find out items from my carry-on were also missing. In my experience it not safe either way to pack my valuables while flying with United.
RouteMexico City to Omaha via Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Avoid United if you can"

Not Verified | United is an awful company to deal with. I found what was actually a competitively priced ticket to Accra from Denver with a couple of layovers. However, I booked the flight prior to the pandemic with no intention of cancelling prior to that time, but when it became clear that it was not safe to travel, especially out of the country, I cancelled as soon as possible. Had I not canceled, I would have been stranded and having to quarantine in another country with no one to take care of the two people in my care back home. Canceling was not an option I would have chosen under different circumstances, but this should have absolutely have been an exemption to the non-refundable ticket policy if flying after getting ill is. If I hadn't canceled, they would have had to cancel my return flight anyway, as international flights were being canceled at that time. United got bailed out by our tax payer dollars due to flight cancellations and the impact on the industry, however, this is a company that seems to think they are exempt from extending the same understanding under such unprecedented circumstances to their customers. After hours of sending emails and on the phone with customer service and supervisors, no one at United seemed to even acknowledge this being an issue. This is a company that seems to think it is entitled to your money without having to earn it. I still have never received a refund and a credit for a company that I have had such a bad experience with is laughable. Avoid United if you can. With as out of touch with its customers as it is, this is the sort of corporation that absolutely deserves to go out of business.
RouteDenver to Accra
Date FlownMay 2020

"United has really delivered"

Trip Verified | United has really delivered on my last two flights with them. Check-in is straight-forward and easy. Flights have been on time. Cabins have been clean. Inflight service is been good, despite reductions in service due to the pandemic. Crew friendly and helpful. Bags all made it to their destination with priority bags coming off first. Yesterday from Cancun to Dulles, my son and I were upgraded thanks to my Million Miler status on a route with few paid first class passengers (mostly vacationers). The processing of the required COVID test results into UA's system was straight forward. While nothing to do with UA, Global Entry on arrival at Dulles was a breeze particularly now that it uses only facial recognition. We were in the car and heading home within 45 minutes of wheels down. No complaints.
RouteCancun to Washington
Date FlownApril 2021

"they changed me to only window seats"

Trip Verified | Paid extra to have isle seats considering I will be traveling for about 20 hours straight and the middle/window seat is too cramped for being 6'1". Show up to print my boarding passes and come to find they changed me to only window seats. Literally paid money to not have window seats and that's all they give me. Words can not explain how livid I am about this.
RouteRochester to Chicago
Date FlownApril 2021

"unfortunate to have all the hidden charges"

Not Verified | We bought tickets from San Francisco to Guatemala. When we bought the tickets we didn’t know that we can take carry on. We had to pay for our luggage at SFO and double the amount when leaving Guatemala City. It is unfortunate to have all the hidden charges. We spent approximately $500 just in luggage fees.
RouteGuatemala to Houston via San Francisco