United Airlines

"trying to split up my party"

Trip Verified | I understand with basic economy there's no guarantee we'll be seated together but they are actively trying to split up my party for no reason other than to nickel and dime their customers. We have 3 travelers and they put one traveler in a row by themselves and 2 travelers in a row where only two seats are being used. This coupled with no ability to check in unless we arrive to confirm our bags. Don't sell basic economy if you don't want people to actually buy it. So I can pay $31 or simply ask the solo person you if you put in that spot to switch with me as it's the same spot 3 rows up and they'll get a row by themselves if you don't put anyone in it.
RouteMinneapolis to San Francisco
Date FlownDecember 2022

"Save your money and book Spirit instead"

Not Verified | Save your money and book Spirit instead. These planes are so old I can’t believe their legal to fly, staff is somewhat unintelligent and seem to lack in self care. For example untucked shirts and body odor. I usually try to keep a positive outlook on life, I’m sorry but I have to say it. I hate United Airlines - do not book with them.
RouteNewark to Atlanta
Date FlownNovember 2022

"didn't find the seat uncomfortable"

Not Verified | To London from Washington DC and back. Totally fine. I didn't find the seat uncomfortable, good selection of entertainment, free wine, friendly flight attendants, flights on time, I even the food was acceptable though certainly not luxurious. This was quite a relief after hearing many horror stories about air travel at the moment. I didn't check luggage.
RouteWashington to London
Date FlownNovember 2022

"indifferent staff who needed to be pushed"

Trip Verified | What a mixed bag! First the good. After a delayed flight from LGA to ORD we had a very short connection to this flight. I was nervous enough about us making the connection, let alone our suitcase. But we were met at the door of the incoming flight, taken to a car and driven across the airport to our connecting gate giving us breathing room. And - using the really excellent bag-tracking app - I was able to see our suitcase made it from one flight to the other in just 20 minutes! Really excellent service. As opposed to what we experienced in the (crowded) business-class cabin: indifferent staff who needed to be pushed (e.g. nobody offered my wife a dessert!), really surprisingly bad quality food, little choice in wine, and narrow seats - yes they were lie-flat which is really necessary, but they were more like a mummification ritual than a bed! Ten stars for efficiency, 4 stars for in-flight amenities and service averages out at 7 stars overall
RouteChicago to Sao Paolo
Date FlownNovember 2022

"be wary of flying with United Airlines"

Not Verified | My flying experience with United Airlines has been by far my worst travel experience ever!! Not only did my flight to Ghana get diverted to another African country but we were not allowed to depart until the following day, forcing many passengers to sleep in the airport! When I complained and asked for compensation for the night charge I incurred for being a no show at my scheduled hotel in Ghana, United Airlines has yet to contact me regarding my concerns nearly 10 business days later. On my return flight I missed my flight due to customs and I was again forced to pay another $1,700 for an economy seat after being told I could not board my original flight because it was now full and departing in 2 mins. Unless I have no other options I will never fly United Airlines again and I will make my concerns and displeasure known, so other potential passengers can be wary of flying with United Airlines.
RouteAtlanta to Ghana
Date FlownNovember 2022

"United is impossible to communicate with"

Not Verified | It started with a 12 hour layover in O’Hare. The plane I flew on seemed like it was designed to prevent comfort. United is impossible to communicate with. After a 12 hour layover, my flight was then delayed. On my way back, I managed to avoid a 14 hour layover by getting on a standby flight. My bag did not come with me. When I arrived in Norfolk, the woman at baggage services was very rude and unhelpful. I chatted with a United agent who said my bag was coming on my original flight. I came by the next morning to pick it up and my bag is not there. It was marked incorrectly for an address I do not live at so I had to wait most of the day for it. I hope United goes into bankruptcy so they can stop messing people around. I’ve never paid so much money for a worse experience.
RouteNorfolk to Wichita via Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Very rude flight attendant"

Trip Verified | Very rude flight attendant. Meals were Mexican casserole or oriental noodles. I asked flight attendant if either meal had cilantro in it and the flight attendant gave me a dirty look and rudely said “I don’t know” with a mean face. So I took the Mexican casserole that she had in her hand , and sure enough it had cilantro in it. So I pushed the attendant button and waited for over 30 minutes and she never came back so I could exchange my meal for the noodle one. So on a 10 hour flight I only had bread for my dinner meal. I bet if I were in first class she would not have spoken to me like that or ignored me, we all are not fortunate enough to fly first class, but I would hope they treat economy customers with respect and dignity.
RouteNewark to Amsterdam
Date FlownNovember 2022

"thankful we are to United staff"

Not Verified | Can't express how thankful we are to United staff with transporting my husband with his broken ankle in a wheelchair to get us through the airport to our gate, on the plane and through customs. It certainly took off a lot of stress from me in having to deal with transporting him to needed areas. Thank You.
RouteMinneapolis to Houston
Date FlownNovember 2022

"horrible experience flying with United"

Trip Verified | I had a horrible experience flying with United. My Flight was delayed 19 hours total. I had to drive back home to sleep the night as my flight was rescheduled the next morning. I also missed two connecting flights that I had to reschedule due to United. I stayed at the airport for nine hours as they pushed back the departure time every half hour. I truly regret flying with United. I make sure to never make this mistake ever again.
RouteHuntsville to Washington
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Business Class had nothing to eat"

Trip Verified | No meals on Business Class! Flew from Chicago to Burlington VT, flight was late an hour but the real surprise was that the Business Class had nothing to eat. I did not eat at the airport expecting that a 2 hour flight business class would offer food on board but no, nothing. First time experience.
RouteChicago to Burlington