United Airlines

"I will not be flying with United Airlines anymore"

Trip Verified | After sitting on the plane for an hour, the pilot decided not to fly. As far as the flight experience, it was horrible, I have never seen such a rude flight attendant. They care more about security theater, then the consumer itself. Companies that are extremists about the masks will automatically get a negative review. I’m the consumer, I hope my voice is heard. I will not be flying with United Airlines anymore.
RouteChicago to Grand Rapids
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"back handed way to get more money."

Not Verified | I went to check-in 24 hours before my flight and went through the entire process. At the end of the check-in process, the notification said because I purchased an economy ticket AND I’m not checking a bag, I have to check-in at the counter so they can see I’m not bringing a bag. That is the most ridiculous policy ever! I’m guessing people end up paying the $30 as if they were checking a bag to get their boarding pass without having to stand in line at the airport. A back handed way to get more money.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteCleveland to Tampa

"Give me a refund"

Not Verified | Flight crew and captains were not here for our flight. Told 30 minutes late, then 45. It is now 1 hour 30 minutes late. No good reason and no saying sorry. Captains in and out. Just bad. Give me a refund.
RouteDenver to Eugene
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"Reservation people was clueless"

Trip Verified | I will never purchase tickets from that line, even I got my next ticket In first class. Originally I ordered my tickets from online booking company, but decided to upgrade them to economy plus. I called to United and ask them to upgrade my tickets. Paid for extra room seats and paid. I received seats assignments with seats # 11E, 11F two ways. Spoke with a friend and she suggested to upgrade to Exit Row. I called United on the same day and asked for another upgrade to exit row. And then it started. Reservation people was clueless how to do that, a free and screaming at me also dropping the phone on me. After 4 call I finally got online manager and she for the fee upgraded my tickets to to exit row. She assigned sits to 21E, 21F. I print out new tickets. Today I made an check in online and print out boarding tickets to Tampa and fess what. I had all’s seats 11f and 11b. And by Calling back to United was told that Newark airport assigning seat. They think that customers are stupid people and they don’t know for what they paying extras. Also she told me that my seats taken for that flight, but on the way back I will have my seats 21E, 21F.
RouteNewark to Tampa
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"given a “reduced” travel coupon"

Trip Verified | First of all, I get it, this is regional flight and things happen, but we were forced to return to DIA mid flight because power at the RKS airport was knocked out due to high winds. Again, things happen and I’m not even mad about that. Where United dropped the ball, is when we arrived back at DIA. We were given a “reduced” travel coupon from some affiliate they use and doing a quick search using other hotel booking apps immediately left you confused as to why United would even give these to you as an option because the prices using there “coupon” were $30-$40 higher than Priceline/hotels.com. Then after having to come back to the airport at 630 in the morning, we’re delayed over an hour because the captain and first officer couldn’t make it in time for the flight. We’re all here, why can’t they be? Do yourself a favor and rent a car from DIA if your flight to RKS is ever canceled and you’re forced to fly with these idiots. I wish I had four hands, so I could United/Skywest four thumbs down.
RouteDenver to Rock Springs
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"Worst experience flying ever"

Not Verified | My flight was scheduled for 8.20. It was around 17 degrees F and had been for some days now. I get to the airport and waited an hour. 8.00 comes and an announcement is made that the flight will be delayed until 9.30 due to pipes freezing. Understandable. Then 9 comes and another announcement, saying they need only 30 mins to make sure water has proper circulation. I can get with that. Then 9.45 comes and it's delayed again, with no reason given as to why, and we're told a "rescue" plane from Chicago is coming. Around 10.15, we were all assigned a new gate. At 10.30 it was delayed again because the new plane would be late. It takes an hour from Grand Rapids to Chicago flying. At this point we would miss our connecting flight so we rebooked and got new checked luggage tickets. Then 11 came and it was too late to make it to the new, rebooked flight. So we rebooked again, got new ticket stubs, and made it work. Then we get on the plane around 12.30 and are told there's yet another delay because the plane next to us (was on time) needed to be turned off first so the workers could come to ours. Worst experience flying ever and will recommend literally any airline to anyone besides United.
RouteGrand Rapids to Denver via San Francisco
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"The customer service is outrageous"

Trip Verified | I purchased this flight January 7th with an emotional support animal. I sent in documentation that date and was sent to a secure website that didn't work by the help desk. Figured the website was down. Went to go submit it again a week before my flight and they wouldn't accept it because apparently the rules changed and they needed the documentation on January 10th. Nothing was said about this during my January 7th correspondence and now I am stuck not being able to fly. The customer service is outrageous. I even had email documentation of this occurring and they wouldn't approve. You ever want any actual help, good luck.
RouteDenver to Fort Myers
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"They were all very lovely, very laid back, helpful and cheerful"

Trip Verified | We flew United UA1872 from Chicago O'Hare (ORD) to Houston (IAH) on January 13th 2021, the last leg of trip back home to Houston from a Family trip to SE Asia. We spent time at O'Hare's United Club in Terminal 1 after transferring from Terminal 5 International arrival and stayed there for a couple hours waiting for our flight. The gate to our flight is just a few doors down from the lounge so we waited until boarding time before we leave the lounge. Boarding was done very orderly, First Class were called first then Economy were called by rows from back to front. Interesting concept of preventing Covid-19 transmission in this single aisle plane, letting First Class passengers get exposed to all Economy passengers passing them on their way to the back of the plane. Had this been a widebody this concept might work if Economy passengers entering from the second door, bypassing the First/Business Class passengers up front. It's obvious we are on an American carrier from the very tight pitch of seats, very different from Asian carriers we used in the past few weeks. The plane was clean even though it is kind of old (19 years - registration N37267). We used Clorox wipes to sanitize the tray table, armrest, seatbelts and screen when we got to our seat. We're back in the US so this is very important and it is something we have to do to keep ourselves safe! Movies and TV series from United's inflight entertainment program is enough for this short (2 hours) flight. I lost my wireless transmitter while transferring in Chicago O'Hare so I have to use one of the free headphones given by the FAs. The FAs on this plane are two older gentlemen and two older ladies. They were all very lovely, very laid back, helpful and cheerful. From how they help and interact with their passengers you can tell that they like their job. One of the FAs was even cracking jokes when she was making pre-departure announcement. I'd take them in a heartbeat over 95% of all other UA FA's that I have met in the past! The FAs were also very nice and approachable. They were open to chit chat when I was standing in the back galley stretching while waiting for a restroom. We were given sanitizing wipes when we were boarding, and a goodie bag with pretzels, stroopwafel and a small water bottle after take off. Then the FAs making rounds with the drink cart midway through the flight. We left 10 minutes behind schedule but arrived at 8.25 pm, around 34 minutes earlier than scheduled. Deplaning was done quick and very orderly, the FAs calling the rows to stand up to pick up our carry on and deplane while others behind were asked to stay seated, so there was no rushing or a line to deplane. It was an uneventful flight but the FA's cheerful and helpful disposition gives a good impression about United that they are improving their service. Hope we can have more of the FAs like the ones on this flight to change the general perception about United's Flight Attendants, especially the more senior ones!
RouteChicago O'Hare (ORD) to Houston (IAH)
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"they do not care about their customers at all"

Not Verified | Do not fly United Airlines if you think that your trip may be cancelled due to COVID. They will not refund you for any flights. Instead, they will give you travel credit. But, what they do not tell you is that you must spend that flight credit all at once or you will lose the remaining balance. For example, if your original flight cost $1000 and your new flight is $400, you will loose the remaining $600. They will not refund any COVID related cancelation, and I can only assume it is because they simply want to steal it from us and convince us it's our fault that they aren't accommodating for the circumstances of a pandemic. I don't know about you all, but in these times, when millions of people have been suddenly unemployed and possibly in need of their money back, this feels truly disgusting. You can tell they do not care about their customers at all. At least I know with other companies (like Delta) that I can get a true refund for circumstances that are out of my control.
RouteAtlanta to Denver
Date FlownApril 2020

"do not depend on their customer service to be reliable"

Not Verified | I was set to travel on 2/4/2021 at 7:10 from Houston, TX to Eugene, OR to visit my family. Coming with me were my two cats. I called customer service three separate times to insure I would have everything I needed for them set and ready to go. The first person I spoke with told me the kitties would need medical records, heath certificates and a rabies vaccine within 30 days of flying out. The second person I spoke with reiterated the first, and the third person I spoke with told me the only thing I would be needing is the rabies within 30 days of my flight and that's it. So when I get to the airport, they tell me the rabies has to be 30 days or older to fly, not within 30 days of the flight. I explained that the representatives I spoke with told me otherwise, and she was very nice about telling me they were wrong, but I was still upset, naturally. So I decided I would call customer service to tell them what happened and when I spoke to a supervisor I was told I should have went to the website regardless of what a representative told me to verify that their representative had the correct information. What is the point of the customer service line if what they say can, at any point, be incorrect information? This is unacceptable. Because they can't train their employees correctly I have now had to reschedule my flight, my work schedule and my personal life schedule and they don't seem to care about that all. So beware - if there is information you are trying to find out about what is needed for you to fly - do not depend on their customer service to be reliable and give correct information.
RouteHouston to Eugene via Colorado