United Airlines

"Worst customer service experience"

Trip Verified | Worst customer service experience of my life. I bought a round trip ticket, wound up driving the first half instead, after contacting United first to cancel my first flight, at which point they said I’d be good to go. When I rolled up to the airport to fly home on the second half of my round trip, and they told me they’d cancelled my ticket since I hadn’t flown the first leg, and wouldn’t accommodate me in any way. I told them that I had in fact cancelled my first flight, but they weren’t willing to budge. They offered to sell me new tickets for the flights I’d already paid to be on (at a high price of course), indicating that the flight wasn’t even full, so it wouldn’t cost them anything to let me fly on the ticket I’d already paid for. I’ve heard bad things about United, and not had great experiences flying with them previously, but I was surprised at how blatant they are about their not caring about their customers whatsoever. Your loss United, I’ll make sure to book with anyone else going forward.
RoutePhoenix to Boise
Date FlownNovember 2020

"a flight attendant that was so rude to my family and I"

Trip Verified | I love United Airlines and have flown it as my go to and will continue to. However this review is based off of a flight attendant that was so rude to my family and I. My wife and my 2 year old and 4 month old boys were catching a flight after our layover in Denver and the flight attendant looks us in the eyes and skips us while passing out drinks. Continually brushing my arm walking by with a trash bag not serving us at all. She also was very rude with her mannerisms and tone toward us. I’m opposed to being a Karen but to be blatantly disregarded on a flight was not okay. It is hard enough traveling with 2 little ones let alone having to bug the attendant to be served like everyone else around us. The other two flight attendants got us our drinks right away and also two wings for my boys and that is the amazing service of United that I know. We flew from Philadelphia to Denver and did not expect to end our trip in such a manner.
RouteDenver to Phoenix
Date FlownNovember 2020

"worst airline I’ve ever dealt with"

Trip Verified | This is the worst airline I’ve ever dealt with, I had to cancel my flight and they have refused a refund. I had been planning this flight for months and my reason to fly for the first time in 16 years is now no longer a possibility, I’m a single mom with 3 kids and now I’m just out that money, it’s adding constant salt to an already deep wound. If I could leave no stars I would.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Appleton via Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2020

"they packed the flight completely"

Trip Verified | Since the pandemic began I have flown three times on three different airlines, the first two, SW. and Alaska Airlines social distanced us on the plane and made sure that if you were traveling alone there would be no one sitting next to you and did not pack the flight full for this reason. I flew on United airlines in November 2020, and they packed the flight completely full and crammed us all in like rats, and then used the Covid excuse when it was convenient for them, for example, “no you cannot sit in the exit row because of COVID-19“, and then they made a bunch of announcements about us needing to social distance, yet they did not do their part to make that happen. On my flight home, another packed flight, there was a guy across from us who was obviously drunk and kept throwing his mask on the ground refusing to wear it, none of the flight attendants noticed and I had to point it out to them, not to mention the fact that while he was unmasked he was coughing without covering his mouth, all they did was ask him to put his mask on a couple of times, but is soon as they would walk away he would take it off and look at us and smirk. When I asked the flight attendant why they booked the flight full and weren’t social distancing us,(I mentioned to him that other airlines didn’t pack the flight full), his response was, “Well southwest social distances on the plane for political reasons, but if you’re not comfortable you can get off the plane and book another flight”. So was he saying the pandemic is political and not real? I will never fly United airlines again, especially during an international pandemic.
RouteLos Angeles to Portland via Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I would rather just travel American"

Not Verified | I was trying to book my flight from CLE to LGA for December 2020. The price on Google flights was different from the one posted on the website, this is not the issue. The issue is when I called the company to inquire about the error I was receiving on the website while trying to buy the ticket. The customer service representative I spoke to was extremely rude, constantly talking over me, not even trying to figure out how we could fix the problem of the price discrepancy. He kept saying the call was cutting out, which is not true because I could hear him just fine, he just kept repeating the same things and not hearing me out or trying to help me with my issue. If they are offering the same price as American Airlines, or even if it is cheaper, I would rather just travel American. I will at least be treated with respect and will get my money's worth. The disrespect was just beyond me, I respect customer service representatives, but this man was just plain old disrespectful.
RouteCleveland to New York
Date FlownNovember 2020

"United hasn't shown any interest in helping us"

Not Verified | I was supposed to fly to Houston and then to Brazil with my husband yesterday, but due to a malfunction in the plane, the flight was cancelled and I lost my connection to Rio. They then transferred me to a different flight which leaves tonight to São Paulo. However, the connection to Rio is through LATAM. I paid for a 12h flight and it's actually going to be days of travel. They cannot guarantee I'll be able to take my emotional support animal with me from São Paulo to Rio since it's a different airline. Last night a customer service rep from United walked out on us (I have that on video). After all of this, I've gotten nothing to make up for all these facts. I've had huge anxiety attacks since then, my husband's mother is in the hospital and United hasn't shown any interest in helping us.
RouteTampa, Florida to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Despite the fact that Hurricane Eta delayed our flight to Houston by more than four hours, the experience was reasonably positive. The load factor was quite low - about 40 passengers, which meant that even Gold Elites got upgraded. The plane was clean and neat, and the cabin crew was friendly, efficient, and pleasant. The food and beverages were disappointing, but in the age of Covid-19, most airlines have restricted the time that passengers can eat and drink with their masks removed. Check-in was immediate, particularly since I didn't know about the delay and thus showed up at 06:30 for a 12:45 flight, Immigration in Houston was empty, and my suitcase was delivered quickly. The connecting flight to Tampa was somewhat more crowded, but both emergency exit rows were unoccupied. Hence my seat at 20A was both comfortable and socially distanced. The United Club in Terminal E is now open. The food offerings were minimal, but the bar service has returned to pre-pandemic level. This was my first air trip in almost twelve months. Given the avalanche of negative reviews on Skytrax, I was pleasantly surprised with how well the experience turned out.
RouteSan Jose to Tampa via Houston
Date FlownNovember 2020

"Biggest complaint, not enforcing rules"

Not Verified | Not good at social distancing. Packed 3 people across in my row when there were obvious several unoccupied seats seen with only one person in that row. Biggest complaint, not enforcing rules. I observed 3 people with laptops and pads out from sitting for departure til arrival at LAX gate. Never once stowed them away and not once being asked to do so. Lady in back of me talked on phone from gate, down runway and halfway up into the air. It surprised me on how many people think rules do not apply to them but more so was how the steward did not do her job. She simply did not care. She could have had a little nicer attitude overall. She acted like her job was a bother to her. But that being said, the voice of the lady on the overhead speaker (up front cabin) was very pleasant and upbeat and plane was clean. Will reconsider when booking my next flight.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2020

"will never get my business again"

Not Verified | Despite having corresponded with the French Embassy in New Orleans prior to my flight to assure I had all the proper documents to fly during the pandemic this staff at the gate of the second leg of my trip refused to let me on the plane on the basis of "that's not a reason to go to France". I was going to meet my wife in Paris who just got her visa for the US and she was flying in from South Africa. I had two one way tickets, one going was United, return was Delta. I was to meet her in the international terminal then get on the plane back to the states with her. Now she has to navigate international travel by herself and I was left stranded in New Jersey because the gate people wouldn't even look at the email I had from the french embassy stating that all I needed to do was fill out the International Travel Doc to mainland France. They kept telling me I needed a COVID test, I said I don't need it, it states here in the email that I don't need it for just traveling through the airport. But I also informed them I have a test anyway but they still refused to look at it or reason with me telling me I need to prove my relationship with my wife. They refused to look at any if the paperwork I had including all my flight itineraries after I told them I was just meeting my wife in the airport and flying back on the basis of "that's not a reason to go to Paris". United Airlines will never get my business again as their staff are the most incompetent of any airline I have ever flown on.
RouteNew Orleans to Paris via Newark
Date FlownOctober 2020

"Ridiculous service"

Trip Verified | My flight to Philadelphia was a decent flight nothing special about it for the money that I spent. On my flight home to Houston, I spent another 200 dollars extra for my dog Lucy to come back home with me. While she was barking during the flight the flight attendant told me to shut her up when she would only be quiet if I took her out of her bag. The flight attendants were rude. When i told him she would only be quiet if she was out of the bag he said “i will have to note this down and she won’t be able to fly with you anymore” I spent over 500 dollars on that flight and all they cared about was other customers complaining. Ridiculous service and I will not be flying or giving my money to United ever again. That was the only company I enjoyed flying with until this incident.
RouteHouston to Philadelphia