KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"couldn't reach customer service"

Not Verified | Lusaka to Zurich via Amsterdam. Disastrous. Got a notice that my return flight from Zambia to Zurich was cancelled two days before flying without any alternatives. They have no office in Zambia. I couldn't reach customer service via Whatsapp, Email or phone service, I tried to call them for 4 days countless hours. The online rebooking tool didn't work, just told me to call customer service. That was even before Zambia had reported cases of Corona so all other airlines were still flying. I ended up waiting until the very last minute and as I couldn't reach them and the German embassy issued a statement that travellers should leave the country immediately I purchased a list minute one-way flight with another airline back to Zürich over Nairobi, London, Paris and Geneva for a very very high price. If anyone has an idea how to get this money back, please let me know. Still haven't heard from KLM despite writing to them. Of course, this is an exceptional situation for all airlines but just dumping people somewhere. I mean. Never imagines such a big airline could behave like this.
RouteLusaka to Zurich via Amsterdam

"disappointed in KLM"

Trip Verified | Booked to return from Malaysia to Amsterdam on 31/03/2020. Flight cancelled by KLM one week prior to departure, the reason being Coronavirus. No options given except refund voucher to the value of the flight. I appreciate the problem the airlines are currently having, however: 1. KLM had a daily service to Malaysia. However, they reduced this by half in the two weeks before my flight was due to depart. Last KLM flight from Malaysia was on 28/03/2020 although both Kuala Lumpur and Amsterdam airport remained open thereafter. 2. I repeatedly tried to reschedule (bring forward) on the KLM website, but it would not allow. I did have a very basic economy ticket, but the website advised that all change costs were being waived by KLM in the current circumstances. But still not allowed to change. 3. If KLM had allowed me to reschedule and if they had kept their daily service up to 28/03/2020, I and numerous other KLM customers could have safely travelled with KLM. 4. I am of the opinion that the reasons behind the cancellation were purely financial; KLM calculated it was cheaper to cancel the tickets outstanding rather than send aircraft to Malaysia to pick up the passengers (many of whom would have very cheap tickets). A very cynical attitude from a major aviation operator when people are understandably anxious in the circumstances. I was able to buy a ticket on Malaysia Airlines (who were truly excellent in the circumstances) however I know there were many other people who were having great difficulty in getting/affording an alternative flight. Very disappointed in KLM, an airline that I have used for over 25 years both for business and pleasure and where once I had a platinum flyer card.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2020

"they even didn't say sorry"

(Lithuania)

Not Verified | They lost my and my wifes baggage. The worst thing is not that they lost it, but how they treated after. Nobody cares, not answering emails or Facebook support by messenger. We received our baggage by own expenses from destination airport after almost one week and they even didn't say sorry. I only got email with 'case closed' and etc. They are not as royal as they pretend.
RouteVilnius to Arusha via Vilnius
Date FlownMarch 2020

"no charge for the phone"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Bergen to Moscow in economy class on a very old plane, the seats are bad and not comfortable. There is no charge for the phone. There is almost no food, there are drinks, but the choice is not large. We were treated to a cake in honor of the 100th anniversary
RouteBergen to Moscow
Date FlownOctober 2019

"There is almost no food"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Moscow to Amsterdam on a very old plane, the seats are bad, sitting is not comfortable. There is no charge for the phone. There is almost no food, there are drinks, but the choice is not large.
RouteMoscow to Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Thin seats, not soft enough"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta. This is an intermediate flight from Europe. Big new plane. Thin seats, not soft enough. Offered a warm appetizer and drinks to choose from. There were not many passengers.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Jakarta
Date FlownMarch 2020

"they couldn't rebook this flight"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Bergen to Denpasar via Amsterdam. I was meant to get a flight after this one on Thursday. Without notifying us. Luckily we saw it in the app. No information in the app. We also went to talk to KLM at the airport two hours before since they've cancelled part of our flight before. Amsterdam to Bergen. They said they couldn't rebook this flight cause the next flight was full. However you could still book this flight in KLM's app to a nice 800 euro. I showed the women this and she still said no. I've had minor problems with airlines before but the way handled this is just to absolutely disgraceful. We tried to contact them by calling them in Sweden, Australia, Indonesia and Norway. Always the same. 10 minutes then they said sorry all our operators are busy. Also tried contacting them through messenger, whatsapp and fc. I know these are tough times but dont cut your staff til 20 percent and cancel flights and dont respond anywhere.
RouteBergen to Denpasar via Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2020

"cancelled without decent reason"

Not Verified | Lima to Zürich via Amsterdam. My access to a flight I paid (transatlantic flight for 1100€) was cancelled without decent reason or informing me. The day before the flight KLM even accepted an additional piece of luggage for 85€ for the flight they knew I wasn't allowed to take.
RouteLima to Zürich via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"I won't fly with them again"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Budapest to Rio de Janeiro via Amsterdam. Seems I won't fly with them again. I usually book this flight from Budapest to Sao Paulo with them and this time they charged me my only 23kg luggage. It is an intercontinental flight. I got to know that when I was dropping off my luggage at the airport. I was lucky I had a working credit card with me so then I purchase it online for USD 61.42. It was about 5am and there was nobody in the customer service of KLM to help me. It means they are careless with their clients who are travelling out of their working hours. The woman on the check-in at the airport was also helpless. When I asked her where I can go or which number I can contact to discuss this case she told me to look it up on the internet.
RouteBudapest to Rio de Janeiro via Amsterdam
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"my first choice for now"

(Heard Island and McDonald Islands)

Trip Verified | Manchester to Entebbe via Amsterdam. I find KLM a useful airline for my needs. They fly from AMS to most places I travel to and using their MAN service I can connect without the hassle of London. I fly in from home to MAN with another airline to connect. Fares are reasonable and their booking system works well. I have few complaints. I want a seat to my destination at a decent price and that is what I get. It irks to have to pay to reserve a specific seat, which could be inclusive in the ticket to remove the irritation. They generally are very good at keeping to time and seem able to catch up late departures on longer legs. We were delayed by weather in KGL by an hour but still made the connection in AMS comfortably by making up some time in flight. Flight crew are up to the job and seem friendly and pleasant when not under pressure. I will keep using them as my first choice for now.
AircraftAirbus