KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"KLM totally ruined our holiday"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Worst experience of my life. Had booked flights that passed perfectly with train times. Then they changed all of our flights in and outbound. By that time we had bought train tickets. We weren't able to change the train times. So had to buy new tickets that set us back £150. Then because the flight was so early, we had to stay overnight in Copenhagen. Another £300. As if that wasn't enough we had to wait 7.50 hrs at Schiphol in the sweltering heat. So went outside for some fresh air. We were told we had to allow 3 hrs to be inside the airport and get through security, but that only took 15 minutes. As I am disabled I had to go to the disabled lounge. But everyone I asked directions sent us in a different direction. After an hour of traipsing back an forth a roasting airport we finally found where we had to be. 4 hours before we could board the plane. Then we had to overnight in Copenhagen again another £300. KLM totally ruined our holiday.
RouteCardiff to Copenhagen via Schiphol
Date FlownAugust 2022

"absolute worst experience"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | KLM canceled our flight the night before take off with our giving any information on why and how we should proceed. Ended up re booking the ticket with an additional expense on train tickets that they said they would cover and we have still not heard from them or been able to get in contact with them after 7+ months of waiting for customer claims team to look into our case. This is the absolute worst experience ever when traveling and would not wish it on my worst enemy! This was the first and absolute last time we fly with klm, cannot recommend this to anyone!
RouteFaro to Stockholm
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"the lowest grade business cabin"

Trip Verified | I did a roundtrip and it is the lowest grade business cabin I have ever flown on. We are done with covid and its still a cold experience. The food was disgusting. Both legs they did not have my choice and finally on the way home I said I am sorry I cannot have shrimp because I am allergic to shellfish. They have deserted the beef or chicken mentality. The service was ok. but there is nothing provided to sleep on. Just a dirty seat, a pillow and a light baby blanket. It is not sanitary. The flight attendants were not proactively walking through the cabin on either long haul. I every time had to take my dirty dishes and coke cans to the galley and ask for something else. One time for mid-flight snack on and 11 hour amsterdam to Austin when I went to galley and for mid-flight snack they pulled out an eggroll type beef biscuit from oven that tasted like it had been in microwave for 20 hours. It is so sad. Its disgusting and I am sad for The Netherlands.
RouteAmsterdam to Austin

"Horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. My flight from DUS - AMS was delayed due to technical difficulties so I couldn't make my connection. Both flights were operated by KLM. Total chaos at AMS airport, nobody knew what was going on and what I had to do. Got the email that I was rebooked to a flight 2 days later. Stupidly enough I checked my carryon because the airline requested I do. So was stuck in Amsterdam for 2 days with nothing but my purse. Got myself an Airbnb, clothes, toiletries and food since my bags were checked through and I wasn't going to receive them before Southampton. Had to also rebook my travel arrangements in the UK which added to my expenses, in total I spent nearly 600€ due to their failure. When I was due to fly from AMS - SOU on the rebooked flight I asked at the check-in and at the boarding gate to check for my luggage. Check-in couldn't give me any answer, boarding assured me my luggage was on the cart that was due to be loaded into the plane. However, when I arrived in SOU there was no luggage. I got an email from SOU Airport that they found my luggage. It had already arrived the day prior. So either the software they track luggage with is garbage or I have been lied to by 2 people. Worst part is though, I have been waiting for any info on the compensation for my unexpected expenses since July 6th with horrible communication from their customer service. All communication is initiated by me, no matter who you speak to you get copy & paste responses, they don't care about your personal situation.
RouteDüsseldorf to Southampton via Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2022

"requested the refund in April 2020"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | KLM cancelled my flight as the pandemic started and said I can get a refund. I requested the refund in April 2020 and have still not received it after years of following up. Shocking service and all I get is the same copy and pasted response when I follow up on it.
RouteCape Town to Calgary via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"needlessly delayed on the airplane"

Trip Verified | Service is fine but needlessly delayed on the airplane for over an hour. The pilot blamed Germany but have confirmed its due to Schiphol chaos. Airlines should be responsible to tell the truth when keeping paying customers hostage on the flights.
RouteDubrovnik to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2022

"my experience very positive"

Trip Verified | Flew KLM Cork to Seville via AMS. Second leg with Transavia which I review separately. Overall great trip , crews really friendly and genuinely smiling and in good humour. Embraer aircraft super comfortable great legroom. Drink and sandwich included . Somewhat rare these days. But really excelled on return. Our initial return cancelled a month ago and put on next days flight so overnight in Amsterdam. KLM paying for hotel so we got a bonus evening in Amsterdam really! Think just got lucky with this but not complaining. On return Boarded aircraft taxied about 500m and returned due technical issue. Pilot advised we require new aircraft and could take a while. Sat there for about 10 mins buses arrived all got on drive about 100m to another plane all got on and we’re on our way with about a 50 min delay! Very impressed with this. Guess the upside of cancelled flights means a few spare aircraft hanging about. So my experience very positive. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and really can’t fault KLM. As for Schipol itself, a whole other story!!!
AircraftEmbraer 175/190
RouteCork to Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2022

"baggage delays not lost baggage"

Trip Verified | Very poor service from KLM. Travelled with a family of 4 from London City Airport and checked in our booked 8 hold luggage. At check in we were advised to check in our cabin bags also as that was what they were doing. Tagged with a limited release bag tag(never explained what this meant) Got to Accra after a 10 hour journey and not a single item came through on the baggage trolley. It was chaotic as about 30 travellers trooped to the Swissport station to report baggage non arrival. 6 days on KLM has sent through text messages that some of the bags have been identified. So far 2 hand luggages have been sent through and I am required to call everyday to the airport to see if any bags have come through. Granted the airports are having some baggage issues so why collect my cabin bags? Furthermore no communication of when I would receive my bags, and why can it not all come in one batch? This is unfair and very unprofessional totally disrupting the whole family plans and events that have been cancelled due to non arrival of baggages. If 2 bags could come through, why was the whole lot not sent through. This is unacceptable and damages my respect for KLM and the high esteem I had of the airline. No communication, no idea of what to expect…I doubt this happens on other routes. This is about baggage delays not lost baggage as I received emails saying some bags have been found and will be sent on the "next available flight" and 3 days on have still not arrived despite 2 flights having arrived.
RouteLondon City to Accra via Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2022

"the epitome of incompetence"

Trip Verified | KLM has failed in every regard on our lost bags. We checked our bag in Houston for a 16 day vacation in Greece. The bag did not make it to Greece with our flight. We filed a claim and tracked the bag to Santorini where we were staying but no attempt was made to deliver our bag. We moved on to other Greek Islands. They will not take our calls about our lost baggage. They respond through their social media team but all they say is to be patient and they are waiting on information from the baggage department. Now their on line tracker is telling us when we search for the location of the bag that our file is no longer available. It has now been nearly 30 days, we are back home and no one can tell us where our bag is, whether it will be delivered back to us or when. KLM took too many reservations for travel through Amsterdam knowing that their workforce and the infrastructure of the Amsterdam airport could not handle that many passengers and bags. They claim that they are working the problem but I really don't think they are doing anything but giving up. They have lost thousands of bags and are completely overwhelmed and it is all their fault. We have filed the necessary claim for expenses incurred because our bags never made it to us either while we were on vacation or since we got home. They have ignored that claim and remain unresponsive. I would say to never fly this airline ever. They are the epitome of incompetence.
RouteHouston to Athens via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"do not book with KLM"

Not Verified | My flight was cancelled by KLM without any notice. When I tried to check in on the morning of the flight I was told I could not do so as it had been cancelled. Furthermore there was no assistance or attempt to find an alternative even though I am a Platinum for Life frequent flyer. As I was due to return 4 days later from a business trip I was forced to cancel the return journey myself. Obviously I claimed for a refund and was "awarded" an insulting 16 Euros per leg ie 32 Euros for a ticket costing around 500 Euros. My recommendation, do not book with KLM as they keep your money under all circumstances. In the end I travelled from Brussels with Brussels Air and this was a great alternative.
RouteAmsterdam to Milan Linate