KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"quality of meals was very poor"

Not Verified | Humberside to Santiago de Chile via Amsterdam. I am coeliac (gluten free) and requested the special meals. There were provided but the quality of the meals on the return flight in particular was very poor. There was not really enough to eat with the dinner (as they could or did not pad it out with bread.) I was hungry again straight after. The breakfast was particularly poor. Sometimes the special meals are provided jointly with another special type (often dairy and lactose free) and then they are particularly unappetizing. The hot part of this was small chunks of boiled potato, a quarter of a small cooked tomato and boiled spinach. Yuk! This was followed by a small fruit salad and a very small pack of some crisp bread that sticks to the teeth. At least on the way out they attempted to provided gluten free bread rolls. Those crisp breads are poor and so airy they do not curb an appetite. On a 13 hour flight this was not adequate and all the galley could offer at night were small bags of crisps (chips in American). I was lucky I had taken food of my own.
RouteHumberside to Santiago de Chile via Amsterdam
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"refuses to refund our expenses"

Trip Verified | Munich to Havana via Amsterdam. We are still extremely angry, because KLM refuses to refund our expenses of 400 Euros that we hadbecause they did not manage to send us our luggage. We got it on day 9 of our trip – and only because we no longer let KLM handle the situation. The communication of KLM is really outrageous. KLM refused to call us back on telephone due to their "social media strategy"! You do not want to read that wearing the same clothing for more than a week. No goodwill at all on the part of KLM. I have never had to complain before in this manner (I am not one of those annoying customers). We were really looking forward to this trip and treated ourselves to business class tickets for our anniversary to have a memorable experience. Well, we have got that now. Positive points: nice food on flight from Amsterdam (much better catering than from Havana), very friendly flight attendants.
RouteMunich to Havana via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Service was below average"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Quito and Guayaquil to Amsterdam with KLM in economy. Check-in was fine on both flights. Very average service and aircraft. I don't like the narrow seats in the 3-4-3 configuration of the B777-200ER aircraft. Hot towels have disappeared which is a shame. Taste of the meals was okay but lukewarm. Toilets were clean and entertainment was good (not that many movies). Service was below average. Service button calls were often neglected by the crew. Once I asked for a snack/drinks in between meal services. Instead of bringing me a snack they requested me to go to the service galley in the back of the aircraft. On the way back to Amsterdam KLM ran out of meal choices (only one available instead of two). After flying numerous times with Singapore Airlines in the past years I notice a big difference in hard product and service between these two airlines. Singapore Airlines is way better (hot towels, better meals with more choices, metal cutlery, bigger trays, no wine from plastic bottles, wider seats and much better service). Flights were expensive too, but not much competition to Ecuador.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteGuayaquil to Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"not the same as it used to be"

(Croatia)

Trip Verified | Gdansk to Hong Kong via Amsterdam. The flight from Europe to Asia took place on the deck B747. It is impossible to hide that it is an old plane, there were visible traces of a long-term service. An old entertainment system, seats - deviating from the modern ones, however this plane has a soul and the journey was quite nice. Previously, many times I flew KLM and I remember it very well, very likely that the same B747. The old plane still gives a lot of joy, however the service is not the same as it used to be in the past. I asked for a beer and I am waiting till today, the rest was fine.
RouteGdansk to Hong Kong via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"would fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to London. Am really bad at flying and have a nut allergy. The staff both on the ground and in the air were amazing. They took amazing care asking if I was ok and explaining when I was worried about what was going on. I would fly with them again.
RouteAmsterdam to London

"staff was very rude"

Not Verified | The KLM lounge 52 in Schiphol was overcrowded and the staff was very rude (that actually applies to the whole airport). Food in the plane was awful, everything felt dirty and again, the staff lacked manners. This was a Amsterdam to London service following a fantastic trip with Garuda from Jakarta. Next time I will book the last leg separately with another company.
RouteAmsterdam to London

"Never again KLM"

Trip Verified | Durham to Amsterdam. Never again! Flight which was early hours got cancel and rearranged, then cancelled again and a bus taking us to Newcastle. Lost all my connections, hotel, transfers and spoiled a start of a nice holiday. Never again KLM.
RouteDurham to Amsterdam
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"service is nowhere near acceptable"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Delhi via Amsterdam. I usually travel with British Airways so I was actually very excited to fly with KLM for the first time. Huge disappointment. A terrible airline with a horrible service. I was travelling with my wife and an infant son which made this journey even worse. The staff are blatantly rude to your face. For example, I was refused a bottled water for my son. Bottled water! Also, no one came when I called for an attendent using the call button. The Entertainment system is from the ancient times. In short, the service is nowhere near acceptable. They make BA look like a 7 star airline.
AircraftBoeing 747-400 and Boeing 777-300ER
RouteToronto to Delhi via Amsterdam

"Service was strange"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Curacao with KLM. Experienced a slight delay to the flight, which was explained at least. Boarding was swift. Problems started shortly after takeoff, our entertainment system didn't work, must have been the whole row as the guys next to us wasn't working either, this continued for around an hour and a half, the call bell didn't work and no flight crew came near us during this time. It was eventually fixed. The entertainment system itself wasn't great quality, sound was awful and picture was poor (to be expected on these aging jets). But it did the job. Service was strange. For some reason they stated service to rows behind us instead of just starting at the bulkhead, so the 2 rows in the middle bulkhead most have been last to be served by some margin. The food was great, just what I needed and more than I was expecting. The crew themselves seemed very friendly and seemed to enjoy their job which is a major plus, just didn't understand why they started meal service 2 rows down instead of at the front. Mostly enjoyed this smooth flight, aside from some problems that we encountered unfortunately.
RouteAmsterdam to Curacao
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"an asset to the airline"

Trip Verified | Denpasar to London via Singapore. An old school cabin with very dated food. The Staff though on all four of our KLM flights were exceptional and an asset to the airline. They made it a great experience. We had damaged luggage on return but don't know which leg it was from. Air France have got the quirks but they've got nothing on KLM when it comes to looking after people.
RouteDenpasar to London via Singapore