KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"offered me a seat in business class"

Trip Verified | Toulouse to Amsterdam. First, staff were wandering around attaching tags to people's carry on bag that you would be guaranteed to take your cabin baggage on board as long as you stowed under the seat in front of you. Then, as people started boarding, it was chaos, as people went through boarding they were then stopped to see if they had been tagged. This slowed everyone down even further. I decided to wait to the very end to board given I had paid extra for a seat up front (6F) and didn't want to be caught in the crush. When I did board, there was a still a queue of people waiting to board the plane. Why, because of the crazy boarding operation. When I finally boarded he plane, the captain made an announcement that passengers needed to hurry up so the plane would not miss its departure slot or we would be delayed up to 30 minutes. By the time I reached my seat, I sat down quickly. I watched passengers with children negotiating with others to swap seats so their families wouldn't be split up. And then, a father approached me to ask me to move so he could sit with his two children. I was frustrated having paid more for my seat, having been organised months in advance, and waited until last to board the plane to avoid any issues. I was angry by his demanding nature. I said no. Then he carried on to flight attendants and created a scene. So, feeling sorry for him, I stood up, and said where do you want me to sit then. It was seat 23E. This was in between two passengers, which I hate. I had a window seat. Then when I made my way down the back, I saw an empty window seat and asked the FA if I could sit there. She was angry with me because she didn't know what was going on or why I was moving. And she said she wasn't sure if all the passengers had boarded. Fed up, I said "You know what, I am evicted from my seat by a demanding father, I paid extra for that seat six months in advance, and now maybe I should just stand all the way to Amsterdam." Suddenly, she said to have the window seat. I shouted this for all the plane to hear. After take off, the purser apologised profusely. I told her exactly what I thought of KLM's boarding procedure. I also told her that parents should not be demanding others move. It is up the staff at check-in to sort this out or the boarding staff or FA, not other passengers. She agreed and told me she had told him to wait until we took off given we were about to leave and his last minute arrival on the place. But he was as usual, feeling entitled. She offered me a seat in business class to compensate and went out of her way to ensure I was okay. She was lovely and very embarrassed for me. She also acknowledged that the other passenger had been totally in the wrong to do what he did. However, given the chaotic boarding operation, perhaps he was just as caught out as I was.
RouteToulouse to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2019

"would especially recommend if you need special assistance"

Not Verified | I had a daughter with a wheelchair with me and I found them extremely helpful, we had connecting flights with another airline so I could compare and KLM were the best with helping with my daughter, did not make me feel like a burden or troublesome at all. All the staff I met from checkout to cabin crew and in Amsterdam airport were super friendly and helpful all the way. I would definitely travel with them again and would especially recommend if you need special assistance.
RouteManchester to Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2019

"so angry with the customer services"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Cardiff to via Amsterdam. I am so angry with the customer services of KLM so i want to write. My flight was been canceled on 25.7 they arrange me next flight on 26.7. A guy in KLM service counter in Helsinki airport told me I am eligible to get 400 euro refund from this changes so I apply for reclamation last week. Since then i am trying to find out my status of my refund process. I have been calling several times to customer service but it was one of the awful costumer services i have ever been dealing in my whole life time. Lady on my phone tells me she will transfer my call then hang up my call. This didn't happen one or two time but several times. They are so so irresponsible.
RouteHelsinki to Cardiff to via Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2019

"problems started at the check in"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Nice to Prague via Amsterdam. The problems started already at the check in. I could not drop off my luggage as the flight was to be delayed until further notice. After several postponements we were finally able to board the plane at around 8pm, although we were supposed to fly at 5pm. This meant of course that I will miss my connection and I was rebooked for the next day already before departure from NCE. Anyway, when already seated in plane we were waiting for more than an hour more before take off. The information from cockpit were kind, but useless. Incredible but true, the second KLM flight that was supposed to fly two hours after ours, took off before ours. We arrived to Amsterdam around midnight, i.e. 3 hours delay. Nobody waited for us at the gate, although it was promised they will. We were left to the unfriendly security staff, that sent us wrong way. When I finally got to transfer desk another chock: no hotel for me, although they knew for more that 5 hours already that I am arriving. I must book it by myself and if I don't have money I must sleep at airport.
RouteNice to Prague via Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2019

"not had any issue with KLM"

Not Verified | Toronto to Dubai via Amsterdam. Over the last five years I have been traveling on KLM every 3 months between Toronto and Dubai via Amsterdam. I have not had any issue with KLM. KLM customer service has been great. A few examples are storing my carry on when there is lack of space in the over head bins, going out of their way to provide me with the Heineken-KLM 100 special can, getting the meal that i pre-ordered, surprise business class upgrade, personable service, asking for a meal later on, in the even I fall asleep during regular meal service. No airline comes close to the service levels of KLM for me. I am happy with the amount of entertainment on KLM, happy with the meals, legspace, comfort, service of staff.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteToronto to Dubai via Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2019

"a cheap no frills airline"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to Kiev via Amsterdam. KLM are a cheap no frills airline. If they loose your case, and they probably will, don't expect compensation, if the online check in doesn't work, expect to pay a boarding charge and if ground crew say talk to customer service about a refund, don't waste your time, expect a polite reply in 2 weeks saying they are very sorry but essentially they don't care. With the exception of a complimentary sandwich it's got all the class of Ryanair, without the upfront honesty. I'd honestly pick any other airline if your route allows.
RouteGlasgow to Kiev via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2019

"Diabolical customer service"

Not Verified | Leeds to Bremen via Amsterdam. Diabolical customer service. I’m a flying blue passenger and work overseas. Flew out in April and they lost my luggage a didn’t get it for 4 days. Had to buy new clothes and toiletries as they promised they would be reimbursed. It’s now the end of July and I haven’t heard anything apart from wrong bank details which is funny because my salary gets there every month. Won’t give KLM another Dime.
RouteLeeds to Bremen via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2019

"rip you off for a little bit of cash"

(Russian Federation)

Not Verified | Frankfurt to St. Petersburg via Amsterdam. FRA to AMS flight delayed 3 hrs 10 minutes. Therefore we missed our connecting KLM flight to St Petersburg LED. KLM gave us, after 1 night in AMS hotel we paid by ourselves, a connecting flight to LED which caused delay of 16 hrs and missing our prepaid hotel in St. Petersburg. No support at AMS airport, very rude staff although we used business class. Worst of all we lost 1 complete day of our holidays. To top this very sad story we exchanged now 27 mails with KLM. Once they say compensation is 600 EUR per person. Then they wrote us our 20 years old bank account "was incorrect". Then they tell us compensation is 250 EUR. After that they overrule themselves by saying compensation is 400 EUR. We sent them KLM all personal, flights and bank details. We never received any compensation from them or at least any excuse for this catastrophe. Avoid this airline in all circumstances. They make you mad with 100s of paperwork completely red tape style just to prevent you from getting your rights under EU legislation. Those employees of KLM obviously do not understand their work. They rip you off for a little bit of cash.
RouteFrankfurt to St. Petersburg via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2019

"KLM has gotten out of control"

Trip Verified | KLM has gotten out of control recently. It maybe mainly Schiphol overloaded, but I had frequent delays (one more than three hours) and now with the fuel issue at Schiphol a full black out. They were disorganized, not helping, I am back home since yesterday by train and a flight from Dusseldorf to MUC, all done by myself. Now today I receive a note, that I have been re-booked for the earliest return on Saturday (tomorrow). This is completely crazy. Avoid KLM, avoid Schiphol. It is simply over capacity and under organizational capability!
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteMunich to Amsterdam

"nothing but headaches"

Trip Verified | On the way from Amsterdam to Munich, the plane was too hot because the air conditioning had broken. Instead of letting us off the plane, they made us sit in place for almost two hours before unloading us and making us walk across the airport to the next flight. No big deal, but the heat inside and then the rush to reboard could have been dangerous Then, from Munich to Amsterdam, everyone on the flight was forced to check our carry ons with no compensation or credit. This airline is nothing but headaches. Also, on the flight they give you about 30ml of drinking water. I won't be flying with this airline again.
RouteMunich to Amsterdam