KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

" never ever fly with them again. "

(Israel)

Trip Verified | A company with no responsibility, they cancelled my flight 24 hrs before the departure for COVID reasons (and this can happen in other companies too) but the unexpected part was that they didn't respond to my messages/calls in WhatsApp/local office/Facebook/Twitter. they didn't call me or offered me another flight with another company, they simply cancelled the flight and send me a mail. unexpected behaviour from a big company. I'll never ever fly with them again.
RouteTel Aviv to Lima via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2021

"shocked at the unprofessionalism of the staff and airline"

(Kenya)

Not Verified | I will never fly this airline again, I was flying with my family to Canada with a layover in Amsterdam. I had a broken foot, which made travel slightly more complicated, I called the airline several times (was disconnected every time) to book special assistance for the airport. I eventually got through to KLM and the woman whom I spoke with was rude and condescending (saying things like "do you even need a wheelchair" and "you're wasting my time"). She albeit reluctantly booked special assistance for my ticket and I thought that was that until I got to the airport. The flight attendant working there kept denying me wheelchair access despite my ticket saying I needed it and my visible crutches and cast. I had to get a supervisor involved to get the wheelchair I needed (the airport was far too large to use my crutches the whole time). After I finally got the wheelchair and made it to my gate, they helped me onto the plane. I had to repeat a similar song and dance during the Amsterdam layover. I finally made it to Canada and the moment I got home I changed my return flight to another airline. I was shocked at the unprofessionalism of the staff and airline. Please steer clear.
RouteNairobi to Amsterdam via Canada
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Overall, it was ok, at best!"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Overall, it was ok, at best! At the first leg at Guarulhos Airport to Amsterdam, I flew in one of the most uncomfortable seats in my life (that's my wife's opinion as well), and I can say that I have some mileage regarding national and international travels. The food was good, and it was served three times. A small lunch when we departed, a dinner during the night, and a good coffee with some snacks before the arrival at Amsterdam. The airline mentioned that the flight were supposed to have onboard wifi, but that wasn't true. At least, the onboard entertainment catalog was ok. The second leg, from Amsterdam to Göteborg-Landvetter was extremely pleasant. The Embraer airplane was very comfortable and roomy. We booked a seat with extra leg space, but I felt that wouldn't be necessary for this flight. So my advice is: Get a extra room seat in the flight to Amsterdam, and the regional flights with Embraers are ok, if you don't want to spend that much. Arriving at Gothenburg, we found that my wife's luggage hadn't arrived. We asked for the attendant at the airport lounge, and he informed that for some reason, the luggage was in Amsterdam yet, and he requested a transport to bring her to Sweden. They delivered it in our hotel after 24 hours, as specified.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / Embraer 195 E2
RouteGuarulhos to Gothenburg-Landvetter via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2020

"KLM has certainly been a mixed bag"

Trip Verified | Flying with KLM has certainly been a mixed bag. I was initially due to fly on May 25th, but due to issues with my Covid-19 test, KLM rescheduled me onto the May 26th flight for free which was great! The check-in staff for KLM at Incheon airport were awful, however. Despite my final destination being Manchester, the check-in lady refused to send my bag there. I explained to her that I cannot leave airside in the Netherlands as I do not have a visa, therefore I need my bag to be sent to Manchester. She didn’t care and simply had it unloaded in Amsterdam. As a result, I ended up in Manchester without my bag and had to speak to a member of staff to organise delivery of my bag from Amsterdam to my home address in the U.K. Here’s hoping it will arrive tomorrow... The KLM staff in Amsterdam were a direct contrast of the staff at Incheon. They were so kind, considerate and very willing to help in any way they could which was wonderful to see, especially as travelling has now become so much more complex and daunting. The cabin crew onboard both KLM flights were also fantastic. Very warm, welcoming and accommodating. It was great to see social distancing being observed as much as possible on both flights and standards of cleanliness onboard seemed high. Food options on the initial ICN - Amsterdam leg were not great. Everyone received a pot of fruit, a yoghurt and a pastry towards the end of the flight with some juices, tea and coffee. This was the only food service available on the 11 hour flight which was disappointing. I found the choices on the inflight entertainment system to be very limited and decided against using it in the end.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / 737-700
RouteSeoul to Manchester via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2021

"I will never fly with KLM again"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | I found out this morning KLM would not let my husband board the plane to come be with me in the USA as we visit my mom who has cancer. I am a US citizen and he is Swedish, but by US law our marriage is valid and recognized in the USA. President Biden has also made a presidential proclamation earlier this year that a spouse of a US citizen may enter the USA (even during Covid-19). Our marriage certificate, population register, plane tickets, passport copies, and my families address and information was all not proof enough for KLM. We called TSA and we called the American Embassy and they both said these legal documents would be enough to prove our marriage and that my husband would be able to enter the USA. Apparently KLM has higher standards than the TSA, American Embassy, and American government combined. The refusal of letting my husband come is a violation to our rights and is breaking federal law. It is really sad my husband can't be here with me and my family right now. He is a part of our family, even if he is not a US citizen and he should be allowed to visit with family. I will never fly with KLM again, I will never recommend this airline, and I am not okay with this.
RouteStockholm to Atlanta via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2021

"every time I was getting disconnected"

Not Verified | I purchased a refundable ticket through my phone in the US. Later because of current covid regulations we could not travel and had to cancel. When I called the customer service line I was told that upon booking the system redirected me to the Bulgarian KLM site and that I had to cancel the tickets through them. They went ahead and transferred me, then I had to stay on a 20 min hold only to get disconnected with no answer. When I called back I was told the Bulgarian center had just closed. Called the following day, bright and early, after trying to transfer me 3 times for 10-20 min hold each and every time I was getting disconnected. When I asked to speak with a manager I was told that instead they could give me the Bulgarian # so I can try on my own and pay international phone fees. About 30 min later, still on the line trying to speak with a manager. Next I will just call my cc company and cancel.
RouteSofia to Chicago via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2021

"Poor communication, poor customer service, lack of information"

Trip Verified | I had other choices, but because of past pleasant experiences and the good reputation of KLM, I chose this. I realize that travel during COVID is complicated, and KLM surely made it even more so. Please let me outline my major issues: 1) First, I had trouble in the weeks leading up to my travel finding out what tests I needed to transit through Amsterdam and how I could get a PCR test that was given on 72 hours before landing in Amsterdam, yet be sure that I would receive the results on time. I realize that this is not KLM’s rule, but the people at KLM were not very helpful in guiding me on how to do this. I was told, “Other people do it, so you figure it out.” I was able to get more information from Delta. 2) The day before I left, I got an email that my flight from Amsterdam to Bahrain had been cancelled and I was rerouted through London. That was also what was shown on the KLM website, however, the Delta website had the original itinerary on it. When I got to the airport to check in, I was assured that my flight from Amsterdam to Bahrain had not been cancelled. To be sure, I asked the gate agent when I got to the gate. I was again told that I was on the originally booked flight from Amsterdam to Bahrain. However, when I arrived in Amsterdam, I found that was not the case. 3) There was no one to greet those of us on the canceled flight and tell us what to do - no signs, no guidance at all. 4) Being unable to check in at the automated site, after several attempts, I found that I had to go to the KLM transit office. The KLM person there asked for my COVID test results, and I showed her the printout of the result I had received. She said it was unacceptable! It was the official result that had been downloaded from the website, but she kept telling me it was unacceptable.Then, she told me I needed a copy of the visa to get into Bahrain, I always get the visa when I get there. She then told me that I did not have the correct paperwork to go through England. I was tired and frustrated. KLM sent me through London, then tells me I don’t have the correct paperwork to go through London! I had a copy of the quick COVID test that I had done Monday morning with my doctor’s signature, and she finally accepted that. I got my colleague at Arabian Gulf University to send me an electronic copy of the visa, and she accepted that. Then, before boarding, KLM agents wanted to see my COVID test results again. Fearing the same response, I also showed them my vaccination card that showed I had gotten two doses of Moderna in February. I was finally allowed to board the plane. Poor communication, poor customer service, lack of information. 5) When I got to London, I had no problems with my Corona Test Result report downloaded from the internet, and they did not ask for the visa. Poor communication. 6) When I arrived in Bahrain the day after I was supposed to arrive, my luggage was not there. Several passengers, those of us who were rerouted through London, did not have our luggage. I filed a missing luggage report. 7) I didn't get my luggage for two days, and I had to go pick it up from the airport. It was not delivered, and I was given no compensation.
RouteAtlanta to Bahrain via Amsterdam
Date FlownApril 2021

"I begged for an answer once, twice, thrice"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | This was, hands down, the most out-of-this-world idiotic experience I’ve had in quite some time. I have contacted CS because KLM has allowed me to book and pay for a flight they then showed canceled in the confirmation page. Was this designed to trick me into paying for something that isn’t available to then rebook me on an option nobody wants, perhaps. Or perhaps it was an issue of the internal system not correctly showing customers real-time information. In either case, it’s their fault and it felt irritating. The agent offered me a second option which I confirmed I wanted, proceeded to book me, and then two seconds later informed me that that flight too was canceled. Either a sick joke, I thought to myself, or complete incompetence. However, the agent then came up with a list of other options, all that were not ok for me because were arriving either too late in the night or they had me sitting 7+ hours in layover. At one point, however, they came up with an option that was more than impossible and then simply proceeded to book me and send me a confirmation without waiting for me to even reply. Why I say this option was impossible is because the connection flight was leaving at 10.40 while the first flight there leaving after that, at 14.40. You then understand how it’s impossible for me to bend physics and time and space continuum, to catch a flight that leaves hours after I’m supposed to catch my second. Total insanity. Upon insistent questioning I didn’t get even one apology, but a passive-aggressive message informing me to make up my mind quickly because all the available flights get booked quickly. The option the agent had next for me was a flight that seemed familiar, until I realized it was the exact flight they offered the second time - the flight that they booked and then informed me it was already canceled. So this person was offering to book me on a canceled flight, once more. This, my dear reader, is when I lost the will to live in this nightmare. I asked them if they were simply mocking me at this point. I begged for an answer once, twice, thrice, as they weren’t answering my messages at this point. After about 45 min the agent comes back, untroubled and provides me with another 2 options - one of which was again not possible due to limitations in the fabric of space and time. I gave up and agreed to one of the options that required me to spend 5 hours in layover, thinking it’s better than the rest of eternity in this purgatory. Now, you judge my experience and how many stars it deserves, but I for one cannot comprehend the level of absurdity I was forced to endure for about 7 hours while on your Customer Service messenger line.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteBucharest to Amsterdam via Stockholm
Date FlownDecember 2020

"our booking had not been paid for"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | We booked two business class seats for travel on January 7th from DPS to SIN and return SIN to DPS on the 9th of January. Payment was by bank transfer and received 2 immediate confirmations; an email from Permata Bank confirming that the money was transferred successfully to KLM's bank account; the 2nd email was from KLM with booking confirmation (UKLFCP) complete with seat numbers (1A and 1C). We got to the airport (DPS) at 7pm for a 9.30pm departure, only to be told on check-in that our booking had 'not been paid for'. We showed the check-in staff our booking confirmation and the email + text from our bank confirming that the payment had been received by KLM. After being refused travel, we called the duty manager at DPS , who appeared to take great delight as he told us we 'didn't have a ticket'. We showed him our payment confirmation and booking confirmation, which mentions ticket conditions, etc. Yet he refused to allow us to check-in. We asked him to call KLM in Holland but instead he called Air France who could not help. By this point, we had been at the customer service desk for more than an hour and a half and were unable to reach a single KLM staff member other than the passive-aggressive station manager who told us that the only way we could travel on the flight was to buy two more economy tickets (business class was full). He told us to try and book the flight online on our phones which we tried to do, having absolutely no choice to not travel (my husband's Indonesian visa meant that he had to leave Bali on the 7th, or face a hefty fine. We also had an appointment at the Indonesian embassy to get our permanent residency for Indonesia). At the same time, our phone showed that KLM was still advertising business class seats on the same flight! We tried to book those but KLM's online payment facility failed. We asked the station manager if he would let us pay for those business class seats which were still being advertised online through the customer service desk (remember we had already paid for two business class return tickets). The station manager refused to let us do that and forced us to buy two economy return tickets, for 13,501,200 RP. Our original payment for the two return business class tickets on Dec 21st was 14,340,800 Rupiah (over $1000 USD). To add insult to injury, as we were leaving the desk, we asked for a pass to the lounge to grab a quick drink and perhaps a sandwich (we'd been at the desk now for almost 2 hours). The staff said, 'you are traveling in economy'. During this process, we sent several requests for help via the KLM WhatsApp number; sending them copies of our proof of payment and booking confirmation. They did not respond for almost 2 hours and when they did, they told us that the case had been 'resolved' at the check-in desk, which of course it had not. We purchased business class tickets on Garuda to travel back from SIN. We launched a complaint to KLM. On February 18th, KLM offered us €600 euros compensation each, but on February 19th, we received the following email from KLM customer services agent 'Regarding the Denied Boarding Compensation, the legislation does not apply for trips out of Europe (DPS-SIN). Hence, I must revise what I have previously stated, and I do apologize for that. For those above reasons, this situation does not entitle you to compensation.'
RouteDenpasar to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"wasn't at all what we had booked"

Not Verified | On January 24 we booked a trip on KLM from Bergen, Norway to Barcelona, Spain, for travel on September 2. We booked long ahead of our travel dates to get a good schedule at a good price. Our trip was KLM 1188, departing Bergen at 2:10pm and arriving in Amsterdam at 3:55pm, and KLM 1675, leaving at 4:45pm, and arriving in Barcelona at 6:50pm. We expected to have a nice, leisurely morning before heading to the airport. However, on March 30, we received two emails indicating that our flights had been changed. The first email stated that we were being changed from KLM 1675 to KLM 1681, leaving Amsterdam at 8:35pm and arriving in Barcelona at 10:45pm, making it impossible to make any connection to our final destination. Our layover in Amsterdam was changed from 50 minutes (a little short, but it's what we chose) to 4 hours and 40 minutes. Then, 90 minutes later, the second email stated that we had been changed from KLM 1188 to KLM 1186, leaving Bergen at 11:35am and arriving in Amsterdam at 1:20pm. Now we were not only arriving in Barcelona quite late, but our layover was changed to 7 hours and 15 minutes. This wasn't at all what we had booked, and was the first instance of poor customer support -- and we only chose KLM on Travelocity because it met our needs, not because of a specific desire to fly that airline. Unfortunately, due to other obligations, I studied KLM's flight choices on April 2, three days later, and tried to change my flights at that time. Travelocity assisted at this point, for quite a long time, but ran into problems with KLM. I stated that the first flight was acceptable, but that we'd prefer the second flight be changed to KLM 1673, departing Amsterdam at 2:15pm. This would change our layover in Amsterdam to 55 minutes, and restore the trip duration to something very similar to our original trip. Instead, KLM decided that our original flight was most comparable (in price or class) to a flight leaving at 6:05am! They would only change our tickets to KLM 1184 leaving Bergen at 6:05, and KLM 1669 leaving Amsterdam after a 2 1/2 hour layover. (And, they charged a few dollars per ticket, extra, for the privilege of this horrible start time, and longer trip.) I was informed after the fact, by Travelocity, that I should have contacted an airline within a day of being notified of unacceptable flight changes (and I'll do so in the future!), but this wasn't my highest priority in those few days. What's most irritating, however, is that not only did KLM somehow think that changing a trip duration from less than 5 hours to more than 11 hours was "reasonable", but that the final resolution of moving a flight from 2pm to 6am was all that was offered. I'd heard that KLM was a decent airline, and we'll find out for ourselves in September, but this customer experience makes it very unlikely that they'll get our business for any of our future travels.
RouteBergen to Barcelona via Amsterdam