KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"It was a great flight"

(Sierra Leone)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Freetown. I've become a big fan of KLM lately, having taken them numerous times on long-haul flights in the past year. Once again, they didn't disappoint. I always find their staff are cheerful, upbeat, and clearly enjoying their work; there's a real sense of fun about them, and they're always happy and willing to provide extra drinks. The cabin was recently refurbished, and was stunning: bright, airy and light - it felt really spacious, modern and minimalist. The legroom was spacious, the seats comfortable, and the IFE screens large and crystal-clear. The selection of entertainment was good. I enjoyed the meal - especially the large salad they served, and a pizza shortly before landing - as well as the copious rounds of drinks. The staff were always present and attentive. It was a great flight.
RouteAmsterdam to Freetown
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"have three seats to myself"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Bogotá, such friendly staff and delicious food on board. I always go for the cheapest tickets and I guess this time I was super lucky, my outbound flight was with KLM because I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience. From boarding on time to getting served a meal even when you weren't starving to the stewardess actually remembering how I drank my tea.! I was lucky to have three seats to myself so I could properly sleep, but the great film selection didn't encourage that much.
RouteAmsterdam to Bogotá

"disrespected and offended"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Copenhagen. Although my flight was on time the staff was incredibly rude making the journey a very unpleasant experience. I fly quite a lot, at least once a month, and have never experienced anything quite like this before. Having worked with service myself I am always very carefully to treat service personnel with respect, and in return I expect to be respected as a passenger. After an unpleasant encounter with one of the ground staff in Amsterdam I felt incredibly uncomfortable and disrespected. I was required to check in my hand luggage as the flight was fully booked, as this would mean further delays for me I kindly asked if perhaps would have been possible for me to bring my hand luggage on the flight. The lady behind the counter told me no, without additional expressions such as "unfortunately" or "I am sorry but...". She then threatened to rebook my flight. When I told her that I had already been delayed and that it would not be possible for me to catch a later flight she replied with "that is not my problem". When I told her that I would try to repack my bag, according to her own instructions, she once again threatened to rebook my flight, despite me having told her no once already. She phrased this as a threat rather than a kind suggestion. I understand that she was tired and that her understanding of English was limited. However, I found my self entering the flight feeling incredibly disrespected and offended.
RouteAmsterdam to Copenhagen
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"staff were abrupt and unhelpful"

Not Verified | We flew KLM from Vancouver to Athens via Amsterdam on December 24th and returned on December 30th (in fact I am sitting in the airport waiting for my connection as I wrote this). Overall the airline was on time, food offered was quite good and seats were semi-comfortable. The one big glaring issue with this airline is the ground staff and cabin crew. Ground staff were abrupt and unhelpful when asked a question and cabin crew even worse! I asked a cabin crew for some hot water with lemon slice and she was extremely abrupt and rude. I heard same cabin crew tell another passenger that he would have to wait to go to his seat as she had her drinks cart out (understandable of course and passenger wasn't asking her to move, but patiently waiting his turn); however she asked him if he expected to "jump" over the cart! Each leg of our flight contained a one or two cabin crew who were dismissive and cold - we kept hoping we would meet a friendly crew as we took 4 flights with KLM- but alas no! I was disappointed with the service of the crew as that is a huge part of the passenger's experience.
RouteVancouver to Athens via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"express my deepest disappointment"

Not Verified | Calgary to Khartoum via Amsterdam. I am writing this review not to discuss the flight itself, which was great regarding travel times ground staff and flight attendants. I am to express my deepest disappointment in KLM as a company and how it reacts to solving customer problems. I booked a returning fight from Khartoum to Calgary and was stunned that there is a layover off 22hr in Amsterdam, and with such most airlines offer an overnight hotel stay, but I was amazed when they said they won't offer such facility despite the hefty ticket price, so I am issuing an advice to all African travelers to choose a different airline if you are traveling to and from Africa, just simply choose an airline that cares.
RouteCalgary to Khartoum via Amsterdam

"I can recommend KLM"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Mexico city via Amsterdam. Both legs were on time. Seat pitch on the ATH-AMS sector was average but on the AMS-MEX sector was excellent with plenty of space and a 180 degrees recline. Food was excellent and the service from the FA's was amazing .The whole experience was satisfying, and I can recommend KLM specially on long haul flights.
AircraftBoeing 738 / 747-400
RouteAthens to Mexico city via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"have to go through so much stress"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Lagos via Amsterdam. Issue started from ATL airport. My flight was originally meant to leave at about 8:25 pm today but because they overbooked people on this flight they downgraded me to economy class without my knowledge. I complained to the agent about my seat not being what I booked and paid for. They made me leave that airplane to sort out the issue all by myself. I spoke to one of the KLM agents and showed her my itinerary at the airport gate - who told me they were overbooked while another agent rebooked me on a business seat on another flight leaving tonight at 10:30pm after so much confusion and frustration. I called the customer service number and the Lady was nice but on getting to the lady supervisor on the phone with a three way call, she was rude, insensitive, inhumane to my plight for help after I and my wife explained the situation to her. All she kept saying was my flight was not confirmed and she can not help me even after the gate KLM agent told me it was due to overbooked flight. She went on to say the flight the KLM airport agent gave me would not work because she can not see it on the computer and she refused to talk to the airport agent at any time to resolve the issue after explaining to her the need to...so they could discuss their findings on their individual klm computers. My question to KLM corporate is why do some KLM clients have to go through so much stress and why did they choose me to be downgraded, inconvenienced and embarrassed? I would have appreciated if someone explained to me honestly what was going on instead of some KLM staff especially the supervisor being so so so nonchalant about the situation. However, I would like to commend the last KLM customer service rep my wife spoke to tonight on the phone. He was empathetic and understanding. I am really disappointed with the lady supervisor who did not make any attempt to understand the issue, not to talk about even resolving the issue. I am really disappointed with KLM as a whole and some agents do need to be retrained in dealing with issues at hand. I sincerely hope corporate will look into this matter and find ways to resolve issues like this and more. Overall, my experience today has been my teacher. I will seriously give it a deep thought before booking another flight on KLM for my future travels.
RouteAtlanta to Lagos via Amsterdam

"will be the last time"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Amsterdam. First time flying and will be the last time. Flying out on 23.12.18 flight plan was 14.15 pm they open for boarding at 13.25 already so the voracious was complete at 13.05 already. Then captain announced the will be 10 min delay coz of lot of bags need to be loaded, which is understandable coz of the Xmas time 30 min later captain was announcing again in some other games issues beating around the bush not know what happen, will taking off as soon as possible etc. I am ok of the flight is Delay, it can happen but why boarding us so fast and let us stay in small box with very hot heat and I could not breath.
RouteFrankfurt to Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"wouldn't use this airline again"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Kiev. Just right before boarding - near the entrance to the plane - the KLM personnel took my hand luggage and did not even ask if I needed it in the cabin. My hand luggage was checked-in and sent to the rest of checked-in baggage. All the necessary things were left inside. Everything what I need between 2 flights and during a busines meeting was taken away and will be delievered to the last destination. Qualification of staff - score zero. I wouldn't use this airline again.
RouteAmsterdam to Kiev

"bad service and late"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Rome. Expensive​, unfriendly staff, bad service and late! I chose a more expensive KLM flight for the comfort and service. Flight ended up being operated by Transavia. No problem for that, until the flight personnel said that the aircraft was smaller than expected and full, so they started to randomly check hand luggage, including mine. Of course this was free of charge, but this meant delaying my trip to pick up my luggage destination. Once on the aircraft I saw that the plane was not full at all and the overhead compartments had plenty of free space left. In addition to this, the plane took off and landed late.
RouteAmsterdam to Rome