KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"staff at the airport were terrible"

Trip Verified | Hugely disappointed with KLM at Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport. Flying with them was fine, but the staff at the airport were terrible. I arrived at the airport 2 hrs pre-departure, plenty of time considering I had checked in online and wasn't checking a bag. The queue to check-in/get my boarding pass was a disaster - not moving for 40 mins, and then at a snail's pace for another 45. Every passenger seemed to have a problem & huge delay, but more consequentially, the staff were just slow, and far, far too relaxed. There was no organisation of the queue or the time being taken. Eventually I went to the neighbouring line, supposed to be for another flight, where the staff I dealt with started to produce my boarding pass (all I needed!), but got distracted and left me. Another one finally gave me the boarding pass, and at this time all my delay margin had been used up, and I had to run through control and to the security at the (distant) gate, sweating, breaking my carrier bag, creating the worst possible start to a long, multi-stop journey. Every individual staff member I dealt with at the check-in desk was: rude, unhelpful, completely apathetic whether I caught my flight or not, unprofessionally having relaxed conversations with colleagues while ignoring passengers - all who were anxious directly because of them. The system itself must also be questioned where slower, bag-dropping passengers are queuing with those already checked in and are not expecting such a slow line. A group of kids ahead of me in the queue - who caused much of the delay - were fast-tracked to the gate, I wasn't given that option despite being behind them, and barely told which direction to walk in (getting a scoff when I asked). Again - the staff on board - fine, efficient and friendly and the service is good, and the pilot's communication excellent. But Belgrade's check-in staff - with their incompetence, unprofessionalism and lack of regard, caused massive stress, and ruined my day.
RouteBelgrade to Dublin via Amsterdam

"Delightful experience!"

Not Verified | Delightful experience! Great polite and very attentive flight Crew. Comfortable first class seats. Great variety and quality of meals and snacks. Interesting wine and spirits menu. If KLM can do this so well, why can't any American lines manage this level of commitment to customer service?
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteChicago to Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"took my small Samsonite hand luggage from me"

Trip Verified | Budapest - via Amsterdam - to Aberdeen. The departures and arrivals were punctual, the flights were smooth and pleasant -- would have been pleasant but there were stressful because of the other conditions. Already at the check-in desk in Budapest they took my small Samsonite hand luggage from me saying that the flight was fully booked and my boarding pass contained a label 'Hand baggage not guaranteed in cabin'. It is a small 2-wheeled suitcase, I have been using it for years, it has never been taken from me. That is, it was not prepared for this kind of transportation (it was not locked, for example). Of course, the flight was not fully booked at all, approx. 70-80% of the seats were occupied, and there's a lot of free luggage space in the cabin. Then the worst part ensued: it was an almost one-hour waiting in a aprrox. 150m-long queue at the gate D8 (the queue stared at D2) with the passengers of UK flights for checking our documents (covid tests, passenger locator forms, etc.). We were not informed at all about what would happen when the time of closing gate was coming. One of the few helpers from KLM told me that there's no any guarantee that I could reach my flight to Aberdeen. In the 45th mintue of my "sojourn" in this queue I got the first sms from KLM, that my flight's gate was closing... Finally, when I was already sure that I missed my connecting flight, another helper of KLM cried around for passengers to Aberdeen then we (approx. 15-20 of us) had to run after her to the gate. It was absurd. I arrived in Aberdeen exactly 24 hours ago, but my suitcase has not. Allegedly it arrived on the board of another KLM flight yesterday afternoon in Aberdeen, I haven't got it yet, I don't want to imagine its condition after this journey.
AircraftB737-800 and a smaller one
RouteBudapest to Aberdeen via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"worst flight of our lives"

Trip Verified | It was without a doubt the worst flight of our lives. Comfort is something you won’t find flying KLM. I had a back and neck pain after flying 8 hr in a seat and full airplane without much space to move around. We were literally seating shoulder to shoulder. We couldn’t even use the entertainment center to help because it never worked properly. Cabin crew was so rude I even avoided going to the bathroom unless extremely necessary. And they changed one of our flights without informing us. I just found out because I had to fill out our plf and had to check the information for the form. When we call it was a ping pong game trying to find out who could help us. A nightmare. A complete nightmare. Never again. I just prefer stay at home if I have to deal with them again.
RouteAtlanta to Amsterdã
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"experience was very positive"

(Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Not Verified | I was prepared to the worst, but my experience was very positive. The check in was very fast, the crew on the plane were very kind qnd professional. The interior of a plane was spacious and clean. They offered sandwiches and various beverages. My flight from Amsterdam to Bordeaux was delayed 10 minutes and I got a notification on my phone number and via email. I think that the price of the flights were far below the service we got. I feel confident about this company and I will surely be flying with them again.
RouteSplit to Bordeaux via Amsterdam

"seats were tiny"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Kiev. KLM is terrible, avoid at all costs. You must pay a crazy price for checked luggage and the price associated is higher than what is listed in the fine print. The seats were tiny and uncomfortable and the food is garbage. I would gladly pay another airline more just to avoid.
RouteAmsterdam to Kiev
Date FlownJuly 2021

"lied to by a KLM representative who I put my trust in"

Trip Verified | KLM put me through a real ordeal earlier this August. I had booked a flight to visit my family in Canada a month before my travel date of August 12th 2021. I started to prepare all the necessary documentation required for my entry to Calgary, Canada. Closer to the date of my departure, I had yet to receive my approval from the IRCC Canada to be able to enter the country. Wondering if I should postpone my flight dates, I called the KLM helpline, they were unable to give me any information and informed me that only the airport would be able to give me accurate information as to whether I could fly or not. After being told that I could get a full refund if they do not allow me to board the flight due to the COVID restrictions, I would be able to get a full refund on my full purchased ticket. With this information, I packed my bags and headed to the airport with plenty of time to spare, in case anything were to go wrong. Once at the KLM check-in desk, at the Dubai Airport, I handed all the documentation I had and the KLM representative started the process of printing the boarding passes. I interrupted him and mentioned that I did not have the approval from the IRCC which was stated as a requirement on their "travel doc" site. He assured me that I would not need it, I told him to please check for me to make sure, because I did not want to be stranded anywhere, he got up of his seat and proceeded to a team leader or a manager on duty and then assured me again that I would be able to fly and would not have any issues transiting through Amsterdam or entering Canada. With this information, I was very relieved and informed him that I was not prepared to fly today as I thought that that would be a requirement, but just for the sake of trying I decided to get the information first hand at the airport. He then mentioned to me that there was not a problem because I have all the other documentation which are important except for the approval which is fine. Long story short, once I arrived at my point of transit Amsterdam, they did not let me board the flight to Calgary, and informed me that I needed the IRCC approval to get on the plane. Completely distraught and disappointed, I took the next flight back to Dubai, leaving an hour later. That was how I spent my entire day, was lied to by a KLM representative who I put my trust in, and stuck on a plane for over 13 hours with over 5 hours of layover. When I decided to take up the matter with KLM customer care, they admitted to their mistake but still refused to give me a full refund for my full ticket flight that was completely wasted. I spent a total of AED 4,955 for the flight which was not returned. I then had to spend a lot more money trying to book a last minute flight to Calgary with another airline once the approval came out. I have never been more annoyed and insulted with KLM's deceitful actions. I definitely would not recommend KLM to anyone, solely because of their customer care.
RouteDubai to Calgary via Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2021

"it was a pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Positives: well-maintained planes, friendly and professional crew, very convenient transfer at Schiphol airport, extremely comfortable refurbished seats on Boeing 737-800, opportunity to order ‘Economy Plus’ seats for just €18 with lots of legroom. Drawbacks: abysmal online ticket booking system (card was processed yet booking confirmation and ticket were not generated because ‘payment was pending by bank’. Eventually had to hang on the customer service phone line for 20 mins until they had to charge my card again to confirm the booking), no hot food on a 3-hour flight (just a sad-looking cheese sandwich was provided), extremely expensive even for last minute booking (£600 one-way). Despite the drawbacks, overall, it was a pleasant experience and I would be happy to fly KLM again subject to attractive pricing and that their booking systems are fixed.
AircraftE-195 / B737-800
RouteLondon City to Moscow via Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2021

"still trying to change a flight"

Not Verified | I am still trying to change a flight on KLM which is to take place next week. Because of a previous cancellation of a flight by KLM, I cannot change the flight online and have to use the customer service. The KLM customer service is totally overwhelmed. I tried the UK service. They just hang up saying to many inquiries. The Swiss line does not replay. The Dutch line does not take calls in English language. Unbelievable, I have never had such a bad customer service experience !! I doubt that I will be able to change the flight before it actually takes place next week. In that case I may have to reclaim the lost fare.
RouteLondon to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2021

"check-in was extremely slow"

Trip Verified | We were pleased to fly an airline that obviously tries to help its stressed customers, in COVID times. At all levels, we were helped. However check-in was extremely slow, because most of customers were connecting to USA in AMS, and their Covid documentation was complicated. KLM should have dedicated a counter to pax not going to USA, or not connecting. It took us exactly 70 min to drop off our luggages.
AircraftE175