KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"Customer service is very poor"

Trip Verified | Customer service is very poor. I attempted to purchase cabin baggage and after 3 attempts to call I was told I must wait and purchase at the desk on the day of my flight. They would not provide me with a price either. Upon arrival at the airport for my flight I was quoted a price of 95 Euro for 23kg. I would not have taken an extra bag if I was provided this price before traveling to the airport. There needs to be better customer service where a customer can be provided with this information ahead of time. By taking this additional cost into consideration it would have been much more affordable to travel with a different airline that allowed cabin baggage at an affordable price. I will not be flying with KLM again.
RouteDubai to Cork via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"changed to we will ignore passengers"

Not Verified | KLM waited 2 1/2 hours for delayed passengers to arrive 1 by 1. 90 passengers cost us 2 1/2hrs. No water and no changes made for connecting passengers. In 8 hours. The purser mocked saying crew don’t organise taxis either. Dumped passengers in Vancouver. No ground crew. It was survival of the fittest. The usual ‘can do’ attitude of KLM was changed to we will ignore passengers. 2 1/2 hr delay was a cost avoidance exercise by KLM corporate to get a full plane. Crew/captain did not ask us to give priority to connecting passengers for exiting. Captain praised the crews non existing efforts to secure alt flights.
RouteAmsterdam to Vancouver
Date FlownApril 2022

"Very bossy and annoying"

Trip Verified | Only one counter open for baggage drop off, thus long line. We reached baggage line 100 minutes before boarding and still in the line when boarding time started. None of the staff were courteous enough to take passengers ahead who's boarding time has started. We had to run with kids and not sure if we will make the flight through security. Gate staff behaving as if it is our fault they had one counter open to take baggage. Lot of anxiety, passengers from back jumping in front, passengers from later flights telling us what to do. Very bossy and annoying. mismanagement. Incompetent staff thinking we just made it as if it was our fault.
RouteSan Francisco to Mumbai via Amerstdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"I am still waiting for my baggage"

Trip Verified | Until this time, I had too many flights without any problems. However, the last KLM experience was horrible for me. 21st June, I had a flight from Mexico City to Frankfurt am Main via Amsterdam. Because of the 1 hour 45 minute waiting time in Amsterdam, everything was looking good for me. I went to Mexico City airport 3 hours ago because of the precaution of some long waiting times, but check-in and baggage drop transactions were extremely quick. I am really appreciative for that. However, when I went to gate for boarding, boarding had not started. We have waited so long and after 1 hour 30 minutes from original departure time we have departed. When we were in flight, the hostess announced please check your e-mail, sms or mobile application for the connecting flight update. When we landed in Amsterdam, of course my other Frankfurt plane has gone and KLM checked in for a soonest Frankfurt flight for me and for this flight they gave me sky priority. Because of the sky priority, I had also tracking bags section in mobile application. When I tried to track my bag, there was only one notification for check-in, after that nothing happened. I had understood that probably they lost my baggage. After we landed to Frankfurt am Main, I have waited for my baggage and it did not come. I went to lost baggage desk and she said to me my baggage is still in Amsterdam and in 1-2 days we are going to send your baggage directly to your home address and because of the 1-2 days situation I was happy. But, currently I am still waiting for my baggage and I need to go to another country tomorrow morning. My personal care products, some of my medicines and other important things are in that luggage and currently, I am really in bad situation. I have never forget this horrible experience.
RouteMexico City to Frankfurt am Main via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"awful customer service experience"

Trip Verified | There is unfortunately no way to give zero stars for the experience I have had with KLM. Flight was late arriving to Geneva and I was supposed to fly to Ghana from Amsterdam so missed my connecting flight. There were no flights that day so had to fly the next day. I was told in Amsterdam I would get a refund for the delay and also had to take a covid test as the one I had would have no longer been valid, which I was also told I would be reimbursed for. This was on 10 Dec 2021. After following up regularly I was told each time that my claim was being processed which I now know was a not the truth as on 10 June I received a message saying "Thank you for your communication dated 11 December 2021. I regret the unintentional delay in responding to you". Today I received a response saying "the flight was delayed due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft as a consequence of adverse weather conditions", without further explanation, and as such I was not entitled compensation, or refund for the covid test which on the KLM website would be considered as "unforeseen expense"(which you could claim for). I am highly confused as to what the adverse weather conditions was. They simply sent this one line after 6 months of my follow up without providing any evidence even though as per the EU air passenger rights it says "To be exempted from paying compensation, the airline must prove that: i) there is a link between the extraordinary circumstances and the delay or the cancellation, and ii) the delay or cancellation could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken." KLM are unfortunately complacent, they are very comfortable in delivering awful customer service experience. Avoid this airline at all cost because they do not care.
RouteGeneva to Accra via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Stay away from KLM!"

Trip Verified | The flight from London was late so we missed the connecting flight to Washington DC. When we landed, I got a text saying I had been rebooked on another flight that left in 9 mins from when we landed. I got off the plane and tried to find the flight and gate for the new flight but it was not on the screen. I literally had to walk 15 minutes before I could find any KLM staff members. They would prefer you just use a self transfer kiosk. Well, I went to the kiosk and it froze. I tried to go to another kiosk and it said I was still logged on. I’m frantic thinking my flight leaves soon, and there’s literally no one to talk to. I asked staff from other airlines where can I find any KLM staff. Finally found a place and of course there’s no one there. Nor at the next place. Only the third desk and there’s about 100 people in line with the same frustrations as me! No real line, no directions. There’s only 2 people trying to help 100 tired, stuck, angry people. The staff were super lovely and tried to be helpful but it was obvious KLM is trying to save money on staffing. Anyway, my flight is rebooked to 26 hours later and there’s no other airlines that KLM work with that go to DC? In addition to this, the seats on the plane have no leg room and don’t recline. Stay away from KLM!
RouteLondon to Washington DC via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"baggage will probably not show for several days"

Trip Verified | Flight delayed, not a big problem. Connection time tight with an other klm flight. Baggage did not follow. One week without baggage. Return to Montreal with no baggage. They have a long delay to answer on help lines. Please wait 24 hours the bag is on the way they said, day after day. Now baggage will probably not show for several days. There is no reason why the delivery could not be done after 24-48 hours. They confirmed many times that they had my bag in hand. I will avoid this airline as much as as possible.
RouteMontreal to Stockholm via Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"KLM managed their delays quite well"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Flew KGL-EBB-AMS-CPH with KLM 15-16 June 2022 on A330-300 and Embraer aircrafts. Check-in online did not work – likely due to summer-overload of passengers in Amsterdam which causes disruptions and delays on the entire route-net. However, the check-in KGL was quick and hassle-free. Access to KLMs 3rd party Pearl lounge was granted due to my Flying Blue gold card. The lounge is well supplied, but of sparse offerings. The arriving aircraft in Kigali came in 1 hour late. The KLM staff called all passengers to gate; after wasting an hour in the gate they came back to the terminal and lounge due to further delays: the aircraft had got another, now technical problem (a clogged engine filter?), which they manage to fix in the airport. However, this added to the delay by another 2 hours. The now 3 hours’ delay followed us the whole way to AMS where most passengers eventually lost onwards connections. All entering and exits to aircrafts were by foot and stairways. Onboard, flights were full, haven’t seen this since before the pandemic. KLMs flight crews onboard are in general patronizing and surly, but they managed well. Food was surprisingly good, seems improving with 3 hot meal options for dinner. Hot snacks provided before landing. Managed to sleep 3 hours on the longhaul. IFE worked wel with individual, tiny screens with movie choices. Headsets provided. WiFi not working? In Amsterdam it took 45 minutes to vacate the aircraft which was taxied to a remote area of the airport. Huge queues in Amsterdam due to summer peak and staff shortages. I was fairly lucky to be rebooked on next AMS-CPH flight departing 2-3 hours later. Lounges in AMS are good, spacious and modern. Despite the delays the last flight and arrival in Copenhagen went well and smooth. CPH airport is a breeze. My inscribed luggage arrived to perfection, despite rebooking, delays, and transfers. In conclusion KLM managed their delays quite well. For the modest ticket price paid (500 EUR t/r), one can’t complain a lot
AircraftA330-200 / E190
RouteKigali to Copenhagen via Entebbe / Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"KLM had provided the best customer support I have experienced"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | We have flown with KLM from Budapest to Amsterdam in June 2022. The aircraft had a computer malfunction before taking off therefore the flight had to be cancelled. We were notified and rebooked to a flight for the following morning within 30 minutes. KLM had provided the best customer support I have experienced with an airline so far. We applied for a refund which was handled within 3 working days and the refund was transferred to my bank account within 2 weeks. The whole experience was great, I am very satisfied with the support they provided.
RouteBudapest to Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"I will never use KLM again"

Not Verified | Booked a flight Toronto - Bucharest via Amsterdam in April 2022. Few days before we left KLM canceled our morning flight from Bucharest to Amsterdam and forced us to get a flight one day earlier with a night over in Amsterdam to catch a next day original flight to Toronto. That forced us to sleep a night in Amsterdam and short the trip in Romania. I called KLM support and was assured that once I take the deal I will be compensated for the hotel, cab and food in Amsterdam if I fill a compensation claim upon the return. We filled the claim which got turned down due. On the evening we got to Amsterdam the baggage handlers were in strike causing a total mess in the airport with cancelled and delayed flights. I will never use KLM again: poor in flight service, poor logistics, poor customer support.
RouteBucharest to Toronto via Amsterdam