KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"you may not get your money back"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | I booked with KLM a flight to from Dammam to Buenos Aires as it was a shortest one available with only once stop on the way. 24 hrs one way or so. Later KLM cancelled the flights and even didn’t let me know – I only learned this occasionally as checked the reservation online. Immediately I asked for refund of 12,600 Saudi Riyals that I paid. KLM processed half of the refund reasonably quick and I received it in 5 days, the other half was pending for another 4-5 days and then I received an email saying that 35% of it will be credited as a travel voucher. I never requested this travel voucher and want my cash back in a form I paid it. Looks like KLM tries to enforce me spending $ with them again for another trip that I don’t want. I do not recommend anyone dealing with this airline as they steal your money and try to sell their vouchers that I personally do not need and hate this sort of offers. Think twice before paying them anything as you may not get your money back.
RouteDammam to Buenos Aires via Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2024

“Very bad service”

Not Verified | Very bad service, bought 2 tickets but our seats are far away from each other. Nobody could help us and this is for an 12 hours long flight. The airline did this on their own not informing us and surprised us on the airport and could not fix anything. KLM = Budget and bad.
RouteAmsterdam to Mexico City via Mexico
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"ever helpful and attentive"

Trip Verified | Dublin to KLIA via Amsterdam. Service was great in both short haul flights (Dub- Ams return part) and this review is mainly on the Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur return leg. On the way out the meal was excellent and I especially noted how good the beef rendang dish was. However there was something that shocked me on the KL809 flight. During the breakfast service the stewardess that was serving dropped the tongs used to serve bread rolls on the floor (next to my seat) and nonchalantly picked it up and served the rest of us with this! This unfortunately marred what would have been a perfect trip for me. Is there no basic policy re cleanliness and hygiene or am I missing something here? Other than that blip the rest of the trip was top notch, a special mention for the cabin crew on the return flight KL810. Great service, ever helpful and attentive and no incidents like on the outbound flight. KLM is a great airline and I will definitely be using them again but I hope they can address the issues that I highlighted which to me should be something that no passenger should have to point out. This is just common sense, I wouldn't use something I have dropped on the floor like this on myself never mind serving customers, please take note (hence I couldn't give 5/5 for cabin staff service)
RouteDublin to Kuala Lumpur via Amsterdam

"an awful experience"

Trip Verified | Very unpleasant experience. They had trouble during my check-in. After 1h30 of waiting in front of the counter, they ware able to issue me a new ticket so I had to seat separated from my family. The adventure is not over, they lost two out of our three checked-in luggage, those remained somehow in Amsterdam and we have landed in Washington DC. After additional time lost to check the status of the lost luggage, we have finally got those, delivered around midnight the next day. Staying awake with the jet lag was again not pleasant. We had to spend extra money on buying some clothes our first day of vacation. It was an awful experience. And last thing, do not purchase on-board internet on those old planes, it is a waste of money.
RouteBasel to Washington via Amsterdam

"Cabin Crews were good"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to New York flights were both on-time. Long layover at Amsterdam but didn't matter much since I got access to Aspire Lounge No. 41. Cabin Crews were good. Captain kept us updated especially with the AMS-JFK where there was a light earthquake that hit New York as we approach the city which fortunately didn't disrupt the flights.
AircraftA330/Boeing787
RouteRiyadh to New York via Amsterdam
Date FlownApril 2024

"Premium Economy section was outstanding"

Trip Verified | The best long distance flight experience I’ve ever had. The Premium Economy section was outstanding. I’m 6’7” and definitely need the extra legroom and was extremely comfortable on KLM. The seats were wide and nicely padded. The entertainment screens were large and the selection was good. Likewise the food selection was excellent. Most importantly, the flight crew was over-the-top outstanding as we we were initially greeted by name, and served flawlessly throughout the flight. I will seek out KLM for all future international flights.
RouteAmsterdam to Chicago
Date FlownApril 2024

"not want to reimburse anything"

Trip Verified |The KLM return flight from Liberia (Costa Rica) to Amsterdam was changed into San Jose to Amsterdam. The reason they gave was: work on the Liberia runway. This was indicated well in advance (4 months). However, I was told that it was okay to accept the proposal and receive a refund for the costs incurred after the holiday. Because I had planned and booked a roundtrip by hire car, I had to change a lot of things, which meant I had extra cost. KLM does not want to reimburse anything now, because they have adhered to the legal rules. However, all other airlines departed from Liberia at normal schedules. I still have not received any answer from KLM about the actual reason for the airport change. It looks like KLM was not telling the truth and was only thinking of their own advantage and not the customers. I would appreciate a more customer-friendly behaviour of KLM.
RouteLiberia to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2024

"overbooked flight to Helsinki"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Long flight. Continuation KLM chose in a overbooked flight to Helsinki. KLM choose the last tight chairs for seniors coming with long previous tiring flight from Canada. I saw no possibility to get a proper seat in the plane. Cannot anymore to use a carrier offering this quality service. Changing to some better client caring company.
RouteVancouver to Helsinki via Amsterdam

"extremely disappointing"

Trip Verified | Due to the pandemic, I haven't travelled on KLM for a few years. My memory of the airline was efficient friendly and professional. Unfortunately, on my return trip in February 2024, it was the exact opposite. Both outward bound flights were delayed (I flew via Amsterdam to Accra,) & then my luggage did not arrive in Accra. I immediately reported my missing suitcase at the airport. The missing luggage meant that all my plans for the next day were cancelled , at considerable inconvenience and cost. The next afternoon, KLM emailed that my suitcase would arrive that evening. Back again to the airport, I collected my suitcase. When I arrived back in the UK I filled in the KLM claim compensation form for my missing luggage (a modest amount.) This was denied because the official claimed I 'didn't report my missing luggage when I arrived' This was blatantly untrue. I emailed back explaining that I had reported it. No response. Emailed again. No response. Phoned 2 weeks and spoke to a customer services assistant who told me someone would be in contact. 5 weeks later and still no response. A trip that was nearly ruined and then a very disappointing response to my compensation claim to correct what was KLM's responsibility, has left me with a very negative perception of KLM. Add to that, some off-hand staff yelling at customers to hurry up and board, getting rained on when disembarking from the Schiphol shuttle bus at 6am, my experience has been extremely disappointing.
RouteLondon to Accra via Amsterdam
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Rip off charges"

Trip Verified | Rip off charges like a budget airline. Thought I added three checked bags to our party but had only two. Could have added another online but didn't want to delay people behind us so thought being a Blue member would just do it at the desk. £47.15 one way instead of £19.30 both ways. Will never use again.
RouteSouthampton to Amsterdam