KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"Service was strange"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Curacao with KLM. Experienced a slight delay to the flight, which was explained at least. Boarding was swift. Problems started shortly after takeoff, our entertainment system didn't work, must have been the whole row as the guys next to us wasn't working either, this continued for around an hour and a half, the call bell didn't work and no flight crew came near us during this time. It was eventually fixed. The entertainment system itself wasn't great quality, sound was awful and picture was poor (to be expected on these aging jets). But it did the job. Service was strange. For some reason they stated service to rows behind us instead of just starting at the bulkhead, so the 2 rows in the middle bulkhead most have been last to be served by some margin. The food was great, just what I needed and more than I was expecting. The crew themselves seemed very friendly and seemed to enjoy their job which is a major plus, just didn't understand why they started meal service 2 rows down instead of at the front. Mostly enjoyed this smooth flight, aside from some problems that we encountered unfortunately.
RouteAmsterdam to Curacao
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"an asset to the airline"

Trip Verified | Denpasar to London via Singapore. An old school cabin with very dated food. The Staff though on all four of our KLM flights were exceptional and an asset to the airline. They made it a great experience. We had damaged luggage on return but don't know which leg it was from. Air France have got the quirks but they've got nothing on KLM when it comes to looking after people.
RouteDenpasar to London via Singapore

"Extremely bad service"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Washington. Extremely bad service from KLM Ground and air staff. Their computer systems are outdated and they haven't updated the latest visa on arrival countries for Indian passport holders. I was refused a boarding pass even though I showed them the new rules as published by UAE government. After an hour they issued me a boarding pass to Amsterdam and told me to fight it out in Amsterdam. It was either this or miss the flight. The food and service was average and the look you get if you order an extra coffee is priceless. The IAD-AMS route flies old planes which have the 3 pin attachment for headphones. I was lucky on both my flights to get a seat with loose headphone attachments which meant only the left earpiece worked. On my final leg, KLM managed to tear the bottom of my bag and I haven't heard a word from them and I have complained on mail, website and facebook. Took this flight as it was the cheapest option in December. I do regret my decision now.
RouteAmsterdam to Washington

"Overall reasonably happy"

Not Verified | Bristol to Atlanta via Amsterdam. Nothing either good or bad to say about the experience. Everything seemed to function smoothly including the crew. Tight 50 min connection in AMS, but still made the connecting flight with time to spare. Although huge I always the AMS is a very efficient airport. I didn't think too much of the food, but was also not the worst I've ever had. FA's seemed happy even though it was a NYE flight. They came with champagne to help celebrate the new year somewhere over Canada, but at the Dutch midnight hour. Overall reasonably happy.
AircraftE175/ Boeing 777
RouteBristol to Atlanta via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"I will avoid flying with KLM"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Cape Town. Flight was fine. Food is always poor. Staff is less friendly than other major airlines. Once you sign up for their Flying blue program, prepare for spam. They will use multiple different email addresses and require you to cancel each one separately. After having cancelled all newsletters (and waiting for 2 days as described), I still receive emails. Then, try and cancel your Flying blue program. Until recently, you still had to send a paper letter to France in order to stop the program. KLM provides multiple options for contact, all which are unresponsive and slow. Multiple people have called and waited for hours for urgent matters. They respond quickly on their facebook page in order to save face, but continue to tell customers to private message them, which is terribly slow. I will avoid flying with KLM and Air France again, even though I was a loyal customer.
RouteAmsterdam to Cape Town
Date FlownNovember 2018

"service is not the best"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Atlanta. It was a good flight with good legroom, food and IFE. But the service is not the best for Economy. KLM have a little selection of music and movies.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 ER
RouteAmsterdam to Atlanta

"avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Amsterdam. Please avoid this airline at all costs. In the past month, my fiancé and I have travelled by air on two occasions, both including KLM. The first occasion consisted of 2 KLM connections and one IcelandAir. During this process, my checked in luggage was misplaced for two whole weeks. When it finally arrived after I travelled to Sweden, I checked the baggage tags and realised it never made it to Iceland at all (meaning one of the first two flights messed up: both KLM. They put the onus completely on IcelandAir (which is fine) and made no customer service attempt to help the customer (not fine). Now, today: we awoke for an international flight 4 hours before it departed, and found an email notifying is that our flight had been cancelled and that we'd been put on an 'earlier flight'. The flight's checkin closed the same time we woke up. Rude awakening to say the least. Our travel agent couldn't help because KLM had confirmed the tickets without getting our input, nor even attempting to contact us directly. Mind you, our notification came in at 12.30am (from our travel agent), and when we arrived at the airport, the ticket staff grilled us asking us 'why we were checking in so late.' (and this was after explaining the situation). In my experience: KLM operate in bad practice, lose baggage, and point the finger at others every chance they get. Again, please reconsider using this airline if you can help it.
RouteStockholm to Amsterdam

"Plainly dissatisfied"

Trip Verified | London to Amsterdam nothing special, Amsterdam to Mumbai a wonderful flight crew, biz section full. Aisle seat, comfortable weird indent on left side armrest, food awful, a smoked salmon/Thai salad? Mashed potatoes with green beans and two pieces of truly overlooked fish, no Dutch cheese lots of info about new cuisine. Crew there with drinks etc no interesting snacks and Dutch snacks can be superb, do not fly for food but expected better. Return flight on 6th January was transferred to Jet airways as KLM was over booked, seats face aisle so had two screens flashing away all night but got some sleep and only half a breakfast delivered. Lounge in AMS was packed so no food here and flight to London was super cold sandwiches. The crew to London were great. Plainly dissatisfied.
RouteLondon to Mumbai via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"We will avoid this airline"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | My wife and I flew from Jakarta to Atlanta with KLM. When I booked the flight it was nowhere mentioned that we would stop in Kuala Lumpur, as happened when I booked the flight from Amsterdam to Denpasar, that included a stopover in Singapore. That is not honest for such a “serious” airline. Therefore, in both flights we “lost“ around one hour and a half because of those stopovers. Besides, KLM’s system seems to be that of a third class airline since I was never able to change seats even though the system was inviting and “allowing” me to do it. Food in the Jakarta- Kuala Lumpur leg was indeed awful and in the rest of the trip was just bearable. After boarding the plane for the leg Amsterdam - Atlanta we observed something that was “strange”: the cabin crew in the back part of the plane did not show any interest in helping passengers solve their seat and hand luggage problems. The two crew ladies were very happy chatting aloud between themselves and showed no concern for the passengers. Poor service! We had’nt flown with KLM since a long time ago. We will avoid this airline as much as possible. In flight entertainment, movies in particular, is very limited. They have a limited and poor assortment of films.
AircraftB747
RouteJakarta to Atlanta via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"booking still not in order"

Not Verified | Geneva to Vancouver via Amsterdam. I initially booked this over the phone and then the trouble started, 10 one hour expensive internationals calls, each time with a different agent who had no clue about the previous call to fix payment issues, errors etc. 2 months later a day before the flight booking still not in order, more errors, promised to fix things not lived up to etc. KLM never again for me. They need to learn first what a client is.
RouteGeneva to Vancouver via Amsterdam