KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"I had very pleasant and smooth flights"

Trip Verified | By now I board KLM flights with high expectations and, once again, I had very pleasant and smooth flights. As the customer you feel in very goods hands, brand-new spotless aircrafts on both segments, thoughtful hygiene measures, decent food and drinks. Yes, it used to better in the past, and the entertainment is limited, but with all the logistics and extra-costs these days I am just super thankful that KLM goes out of its way to make short and long distance travel possible again. With many airlines still mostly grounded and in coma, the world oldest running airline is, once more, an air pioneer, at least for us in Europe.
RouteBerlin to Curacao via Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Somehow I did not expect much"

Trip Verified | 3rd time on KLM flight, 2 times flew on City Hopper with unpleasant experience and this time on World Business. Decided to try their long-haul flight and it turned out different from my last experience, although on this flight there was 1 person out of many who's still have that attitude. It make me wonder if there is difference between city hopper and world business cabin crew's quality or is it just service inconsistency? Somehow I did not expect much based on previous flight experience with them. One item on the menu was not enough to cater its business class passengers, therefore I had to choose another option. Perhaps because of the ticket booked on the same day of departure. Unlike any other airlines I have flown on, the food on this flight were served in little tiny portion but tasty. Should there be any chance to fly them in near future, would give it another try to experience other crew and service to another destinations.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteCuracao to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2021

"The flight attendants did not seem happy about doing their job"

Trip Verified | I flew with KLM from Mexico City to Zurich via Amsterdam. I will go over my thoughts about the experience point by point: (1) Both the Mexico City and KLM have a mask requirement, so obviously I was wearing one, and also I had additional masks in my hand luggage. However, KLM's ground staff in Mexico City asked me if I had a mask (ignoring that I was very obviously wearing one), and when I asked to clarify, they incorrectly claimed that KLM requires FFP2 medical masks to be worn. While I did have such a mask with me, KLM does not actually have such a requirement (see https://www.klm.nl/en/information/faq/airport-on-board). In challenging times such as the COVID pandemic, it is more important than ever to know the rules and to be respectful to customers, which KLM didn't do. (2) The aircraft interior on both flight legs (Mexico City to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Zurich) looked tired and old. The flight attendants did not seem happy about doing their job. (3) KLM Crown Lounge 25 in the Amsterdam airport had a sign that it was closed at 2 pm. My flight arrived at 3 pm and I had a connection time of almost 6 hours. (By the way, the airside hotel YOTELAIR did not have any short term stays available, and Aspire Lounge 26 only allows access three hours before a flight.) As a result, I had to walk around the airport and sit in crowded areas, which is not good in terms of social distancing. (4) On the flight leg from Amsterdam to Zurich, I was given a hand sanitizing gel only quite a while after the meal and the drink, making it useless. Overall, considering Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is also not as attractive as it used to be, I will avoid flying with KLM in the future.
RouteMexico City to Zurich via Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2021

"supervisor and staff were so rude and arrogant"

(Namibia)

Trip Verified | I wanted to check in for a flight from Johannesburg to Amsterdam. Telephonically KLM had confirmed that a study visa will be sufficient to enter the Netherlands under Covid restrictions. At the check in counter, to my genuine surprise, they rudely and arrogantly tell me that I am not entitled to check in because a study visa is not sufficient. The supervisor and staff were so rude and arrogant, I will never fly with this airline again!
AircraftBOEING 777-300ER
RouteWindhoek to Amsterdam via Johannesburg
Date FlownMarch 2021

"I have never seen less"

Not Verified | There are so many things to day about KLM, the oldest passenger airline in the world. It has kept the same quality for many years, and it is a great representation of Dutch efficiency and thrift. So many reasons to fly them, so many reasons not to as well! But today, I want to rant about one thing: the KLM “entertainment” system. It is indeed entertaining to see a major airline with this ridiculous selection of TV and film choices. Imagine you have flown any airline at all (ok, not Ryanair, but you know what I am talking about!): you probably get a system with at least 5-10 comedy, and as much Drama and Lifestyle and Docu options, usually a full season. Then you get at least 5-7 full “box sets” (entire TV shows). I have never seen less. For films, by my count the average is 50-70 films, with about 5-10 new films, and staples like Harry Potter or ET and things of the sort. Now, we have KLM’s entertaining system: Two episodes of of TV comedies. I kid you not. Two single episodes! Three episodes of Drama shows. Three full seasons (season 2 of the Handmaid’s Tale!). Four episodes of “lifestyle” Five episodes of “docu” (incl two KLM promotionals!) Films: 30 films total, including “children’s programme” featuring a ridiculous KLM aircraft, Docus, promotionals, etc, the highlight of which is Benjamin Button! There is not a single film that a blind man doing sentence in a dark cell in Burkina Faso had not seen. I mean, how many people want to see Yogi Bear? I am glad I have an ipad.
RouteAmsterdam to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Loyalty doesn't always pay off"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Das mag tausend gute Erfahrungen geben, aber wenn man selbst betroffen ist, und das nun schon mehrmals, und das kann eben sowieso jedem jederzeit passieren, ist man verloren. Keine Hilfe, hirnlose Verweise auf Ihre Internetseite, keinerlei persönliche Hilfestellung, das alles im Ausland, bei dem nicht immer stabile Wifi Verbindungen vorhanden sind. Schade, jahrelang gerne KLM geflogen, demnächst werden wohl andere mein Geld kriegen um ihre Gesellschaft und ihre Arbeitsplätze am Leben zu erhalten. Auch PanAm war mal toll, wie so viele andere. Warum man daraus nicht lernt, wird sich mir nie erschliessen. Aber nicht meine Gesellschaft, nicht mein Arbeitsplatz. Treue zahlt sich eben nicht immer aus. Demnächst dann statt Service und einstiger guter Erfahrung nur noch Ticketkauf beim billigsten Anbieter. Beschissener kann auch dort der Service nicht sein und vielleicht gehöre ich dann da zu den tausenden, die auch mal gute Erfahrungen machen. - That may be a thousand good experiences, but if you are affected yourself, and have done so several times, and that can happen to anyone at any time, you are lost. No help, mindless references to your website, no personal help, all of that abroad, where stable WiFi connections are not always available. It's a shame, I enjoyed flying KLM for years, soon others will probably get my money to keep their company and their jobs alive. PanAm was great too, like so many others. Why you don't learn from it will never become clear to me. But not my society, not my workplace. Loyalty doesn't always pay off. Soon, instead of service and what was once a good experience, only buy tickets from the cheapest provider. The service couldn't be poorer and maybe I'll be one of the thousands who have good experiences.
RouteAlicante to Amsterdam via Guatemala
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I would not fly with KLM in the future"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight through Delta in October 2020 to travel to Amsterdam, Netherlands. When I booked the flight I was told to contact KLM to request a bassinet seat since I was traveling with my infant and I would be flying with KLM. I contacted KLM and was assigned economy seats for the flight to Amsterdam. I was also provided with the seat assignments in economy comfort for the return flight to New York. In October KLM informed me that I would need to pay for my husband's seat on the return flight as it was economy comfort and I made that payment. I was not informed at that time that I also needed to pay for my seat assignment. When I arrived at the airport in January for the return flight to New York and checked my bags I was told that I needed to pay 100 euros for my seat, at that time I had no opportunity to then change my seat assignment because that was the only bassinet seat available so I paid the 100 euros. KLM did not inform me about payment for a seat that I was assigned to and then I had no choice but to pay for the seat assignment because I was already at the airport checking in for my flight. I should have been informed in October when I was told that I needed to pay for my husband's seat assignment. I contacted KLM when I returned to NY and they responded weeks later stated that I could not be reimbursed because I wanted to sit next to my husband? My complaint was never understood and they only apologized for taking two weeks to respond to me. They also stated that "Fares are dynamic in nature and not guaranteed. They may change quickly depending on various factors like the period of travel, seats availability, the destination, as well as the number of passengers trying to book that particular fare at the same time. The fares may increase or decrease as per the availability." Fares increase and decrease before purchasing a flight and if there was a change in the cost of my flight I would have been notified. This experience is very disappointing since the KLM staff at the airport and on the airline were great but the customer service before and after have guaranteed that I would not fly with KLM in the future.
RouteAmsterdam to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Crew very friendly and helpful"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This is a very difficult time for airlines where everything has been cut back. Fortunately the customer service remains of a very high standard and both flights with this airline were extremely pleasant. Crew very friendly and helpful. Aircraft clean. Food service on short haul was good considering this was a short flight. On the longer flight the cut backs are evident but you get a dinner snack pack and a tasty breakfast when you arrive. The dinner appetizer was a hot very tasty pizza slice. A great idea. So thanks to those making the best of a tough period and for keeping your customers happy. I understand it is not easy.
RouteMilan to Bangkok via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Both legs of my flight were pleasant"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Communication with KLM help center is painful (be prepared!) mostly due to enormously long lags in their answers, but eventually I managed to arrange my flight with a pet. The check-in was extremely thorough and took an hour while all the docs were shown, filled, signed and doublechecked. The staff in Manila is very helpful and attentive, as well as flight attendants along the way. They checked my cat (once even on their own initiative, heartfelt thanks to the flight attendant with a Russian blue cat). Both legs of my flight were pleasant, non-turbulent, with soft landings. Special appreciation to that delicious spinach pies. They did my long flights a lot easier. The set of multimedia was not that bad, too. But getting earphones upon an explicit request is a somewhat strange experience. Drawbacks: economy is quite costly, well over market.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / 777-200
RouteManila to San José via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2020

"their service and hospitality was truly amazing"

Trip Verified | For my initial flight, I flew one of the COVID-19 pilot test flights with three different stages of testing. I was glad to hear KLM and their SkyTeam Alliance was offering something like this to make travel safer and to lessen the quarantine time once you arrive in the Netherlands. The cabin cleanliness and quality was excellent but it was their service and hospitality that was truly amazing. It was my first international flight and I was flying alone. I unfortunately discovered I get severely motion sick. All the other flight attendants were especially attentive and kind. The entire flight they made sure I had every possible comfort down to an extra pillow or another blanket, soothing tea and ginger sodas, crackers, and were even kind enough to provide me with a motion sickness medicine. I’ve never seen such genuine care and wonderful hospitality on both my outbound and return flights. My return flight was much busier but the crew was still just as kind and attentive, if busier.
AircraftBoeing 747-10 Dreamliner