KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"Complete lack of response"

Trip Verified | Honestly the worst flight experience of my life. Not only were we delayed over 3 hours, but they kept us on a plane in the summer with a/c malfunction while heat blasted the cabin to 100°F, for an hour. Everyone was covered in sweat and felt faint from the heat while they made us stay and wait while they tried to fix it. I am young and even I had a headache, I can’t imagine an elderly person being able to breathe in those conditions. Complete lack of response to a dangerous situation. They seriously wanted to put that plane in the air. They handed out tiny cups of water and apologized. Then finally had us get on another plane. Not to mention they checked our carry on luggage because they ran out of room. Do not fly with KLM. Nothing but trouble.
RouteAmsterdam to Munich
Date FlownJuly 2019

"so insulted and humiliated"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Bangkok. I have never been so insulted and humiliated as on my recent flight after 29 years of long haul travel. Everyone has their plan of dealing with time zones and jet lag etc. Mine is to have the meal, watch a movie, a decent length sleep and wake 2 hours before landing for breakfast. It is a plan that has served me well. I had a glass of wine with the early nibbles and when the stewardess came with the starter she asked if I wanted anything else to drink as if most people would be happy with 1 glass of wine in a 10.5 hour trip. Mind, apart from bringing the food, we didn’t see much of her apart from a quick walk through very occasionally but eyes upwards so no-one could ask her to do anything. After the meal I sat quietly finishing off the film with some wine. 45 minutes before sleep time I asked for a glass of wine to help me get off to sleep at a strange time. I was just sitting quietly watching a film. The purser came with the glass of wine and said, and this is in business class, “this is not a free bar and I have been told you have had enough wine and you won’t get any more”. You can’t begin to guess my astonishment, treating me like a drunkard when I am one of the best, most polite people you could ever meet. Insulting and humiliating doesn’t really begin to describe it. During breakfast the purser tried to apologise saying he had got it all wrong but I wasn’t interested, the damage had been done.
RouteAmsterdam to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2019

"best described as adequate"

Not Verified | Dublin to Sandefjord via Amsterdam. First leg of the flight, DUB-AMS, was operated a plane from Stobart Air, with a KLM crew. Upon check-in, I was informed of a 25 minute delay but that I should be able to make my booked connections. However, at the gate, the delay just kept getting longer and longer. As I was standing around, I received an email informing me that my flight would not make the original connection to CPH and that I had automatically been re-booked onto another flight, however this meant I would miss my rail connection to Sweden. The gate staff were not able to do much, as they were only local Irish contractors and not KLM staff. The delay was progressively made later and later. The flight was almost 2 hours late and was causing great stress and worry for me about being stranded in CPH. Only suggestion was to see the transfer desk in Amsterdam, who were helpful and professional. I asked if I could be rebooked onto Oslo, but initially they said it was booked out. They had only been looking at OSL and did not even consider TRF, until I suggested it. It was a very late flight option but it was better than everything else presented to me. The delayed DUB-AMS Stobart Air flight was best described as adequate. It was quite obvious that the air crew were thrown together and were disjointed in their operations. However they were very professional in their appearance and interactions with the passengers. The AMS-TRF flight was a proper KLM flight, on the same plane type. The aircrew were much better than the first, most likely because of working together before. Thankfully so, to ease my nerves from the first leg.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteDublin to Sandefjord via Amsterdam

"it was a great flight"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Lima, it was a great flight enough legroom and great service! The food was good we got enough drinks in 12 hours. The movies where all new movies, just came out of the cinema. Great flight good experience.
AircraftBoeing 777-300er
RouteAmsterdam to Lima
Date FlownJuly 2019

"have started avoiding KLM"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Stavanger to Alicante via Oslo in April 2019. For many years I have been flying exclusively with KLM just because they were the most helpful with nice crew and customer service. After this flight I have started avoiding KLM as much as possible. I simply called customer service to ask about the luggage condition for the ticket I booked online. The lady on the phone told me she has no information and told me to go and read on the website. I asked where on the website and how do I know that what I read there is applied to my ticket? Again, She said she has no information and everything is on the website. I called the complaints line and perhaps the same lady answered because I explained the situation and she said they cannot offer help for each individual and all the info is online. I just do not understand why they cannot find info about a ticket that I already booked. How hard it can be. It feels like KLM somehow in the past few years has replaced the helpful and nice crew with a cheap and rude one.
RouteStavanger to Alicante via Oslo
Date FlownApril 2019

"cheaper than budget airlines"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta. Once again, KLM was cheaper than budget airlines on this date. Friendly crew, good selection of movies but once again tasteless food (just a wrap) given.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Jakarta
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I was not able to board the flight"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. My friend and I have had an appalling experience with KLM. Due to an emergency, I was not able to board the flight on that day. In response to this, an employee at the KLM counter had helped us made another reservation on next day. However, when I had arrived at the KLM counter, the KLM employees told me that there were no seats available. Therefore, I have no choice but buy another ticket with other Airline. I worried KLM will cancel my flight for returning ticket. So I contacted KLM, and they promised me that they will have a seat for me but I need to pay some penalty. However, KLM didn't achieve what they guaranteed. When I arrived KLM counter, they told me it was fully booked. I talked to Manager, she told me that what HQ promised to you is not our business.
RouteJakarta to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2019

"cheaper than budget airlines"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. Surprisingly, KLM was cheaper than budget airlines on this date. Despite the short distance flown, there was a hot meal (tasting awful), personal movie screens and 23 kg checked-in luggage allowance. The main complaint might be the boarding process. Zones made no sense, with 90% of passengers in Zone 5.
RouteJakarta to Kuala Lumpur

"I would fly KLM again"

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Amsterdam. Our flight was delayed due to a tyre requiring change. We had to disembark but the plane was ready for take off about 1.5 hours later. On flight meal is a sandwich plus one round of drinks for the 2 hour flight. The seats were comfortable for the 2 hour flight, staff were very friendly and professional. Despite the delay, I would fly KLM again.
RouteStockholm to Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2019

"impressed by the service"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Rome to Buenos Aires via Amsterdam. I was impressed by the service, quality of the aircraft, cleanliness and food. There was just an hour and 15 minutes transit time in Amsterdam but in fact due to a delay leaving from Rome the transit time was reduced to only 40 minutes. Despite this I made it to my flight and even my suitcase made it to Buenos Aires as normal which was a pleasant surprise.
RouteRome to Buenos Aires via Amsterdam