KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"online refund service rejected my request"

Trip Verified | I booked the flight via KLM on Nov 18th 2021. Because of Covid issues I tried to cancel. The online refund service rejected my request saying it wasn't a KLM booking. After hours of trying, I finally managed to speak to an agent and explained my situation. She said she would sort. It is now Jan 18th 2022. Not only have I not received a refund, I have received a message saying my flight time has had to be changed. Thus I now know my flight has still not been cancelled. I've tried again to speak to an agent. All I could do was make this request using Messenger. Two days later, I have not had a reply. If you have to use this airline I suggest you book via an agency such as Booking.com. They actioned other cancellations of flights and hotels I had to make in no time at all. When it comes to customer support, KLM are awful.
AircraftEmbraer 175
RouteHumberside to Schiphol
Date FlownNovember 2021

"recommend for sure not to use this airline"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | If I could give 0 stars I would do it. The service is horrible, with no qualified people working. If you are new, please first teach your co worker and after let him serve good and qualified costumer service. Food is terrible too. I will recommend for sure not to use this airline.
RouteHouston to Porto via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"The whole trip has been terrible"

Trip Verified | Absolutely terrible. My flight was cancelled and I was put on another one with a shorter connection time. As with the outbound leg, I had to check-in using the Air France website because the KLM one wouldn’t let me. There was no welcome drink or a pre-meal drink, nothing until the meal service. Even the crew have been told not to talk to the passengers much. In business class the meal was a 1 tray small meal, about what you would expect in economy. The stewardess got me some nut and nibbles so I could feel as though I had had something. You have to use their headphones as they have changed all the connectors to a 3-point magnetic style. I don’t blame the cabin crew, they are just under instructions. I needn’t have worried about my connection as that flight was cancelled as well with the weather, even though others were flying. This was at 7am and they were going to put me on the 4pm flight as the 12.25pm was “fully booked”. When I complained a seat on the 12.25pm flight miraculously appeared. On the plane the seats to my right and left were empty. On the way out not long after the meal finished all the crew disappeared and I had to go back to economy to find someone to get a me glass of wine and she said the rest had probably gone to bed. What if there had been an emergency? The whole trip has been terrible as far as the KLM flights were concerned and after 31 years and Platinum status that was my last trip with them as I have had enough.
RouteBangkok to Newcastle via Amsterdam

"a very relaxed trip"

Trip Verified | Another good job by KLM. Booked a few days before departure, so price was rather high. But we got the Embraer 190 which is one of my favourites because of the 2-2 seating and the legroom. The latter was even better on the outbound flight, since we got an emergency exit row without paying for it. Qr-checks at Schiphol rather straight forward nowadays, so no long waiting, but it was a quiet Wednesday evening between Christmas and New Year. On time flight, two drinks, a rather dull cheese sandwich and a brownie and an early landing in Valencia made this a very relaxed trip. Inbound flight pretty much the same. Disembarking at Schiphol rather slow, since taxiing takes quite a long time. This - combined with a bus transfer - takes 40 minutes (from landing to terminal). Valencia was much better: we were in the terminal within 20 mins after landing.
AircraftE190
RouteAmsterdam to Valencia
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"intended to take the second leg"

Trip Verified | First, the second leg of my flight was canceled, and rescheduled to a day later. This would be ok except I would have a 24 hour layover in a city where I cannot leave the airport due to covid rules. I missed my first flight and figured they would reschedule me no problem, because on their website they said they have flexible policies for booking due to covid; that was a lie. I called customer service who then told me to call back the next day and hung up on me. I called again, got another person and was hung up on again. Finally I booked a flight with another airline; £175 later! I called customer service once more to let them know I still intended to take the second leg of my flight which was still scheduled next day. They said I have to pay another €125 as a rescheduling fee! In addition to this they said a voucher or refund was not an option either! People miss flights all the time, and they had 3 flights I could’ve easily been rebooked to THAT day but wasn't!
RouteBristol to Split
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"they always invent some new checks"

Trip Verified | KLM are bad. That’s my 2nd flight and they always invent some new checks, don’t give you important information about gates or destination terminal. It’s very confusing. Last time they made us run to our transfer, although they knew we would not get it (they didn't even load our baggage to that flight). Amsterdam airport staff are extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. The food is horrible, worse than any other company I have flown with.
RouteBerlin to Dubai via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"most stressful traveling experience"

Trip Verified | I am very disappointed in the service provided by KLM. They did not show any concern for my first flight arriving late and making me miss my connection flight. What is worse is how they then charged me for another PCR test that I have taken already. The employees are not even sure of the directions they give you and ultimately they waste more time and extort as much from you as they can. This has been an eye-opening experience that I will never forget. After this, I will never fly KLM Royal Dutch airlines again. This review is not hostile but rather a reminder of one of my most stressful traveling experiences.
RouteLagos to Detroit via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"saying that we can't change our seats"

Trip Verified | My partner and I changed our seats during the flight (from 36 A and B to 40 D and E). Row 36 was completely full, instead, row 40 was empty. We did it because I wasn't feeling very well, I am pregnant and was nauseous so wanted to be closer to the lavatory. The flight attendant approached us by literally saying: "What is your story?". He did not let us explain anything and just kept saying that we can't change our seats without his permission. My partner kept said "We are sorry, we apologize", all the people around turned to see how this man is yelling at us. He wanted to send us back but in the meantime, someone else sit on our seats. I understand our mistake about asking permission to move to another seat, but his reaction was aggressive.
RouteAmsterdam to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2021

"I will not fly ever again with KLM"

Trip Verified | Outdated check in processes and software. KLM app is not working. Despite their email saying it is a seamless process with a digital boarding pass, it is impossible to get a digital pass. I had to wait through the 25’ drop off queue to get my pass printed. The Hungarian airport staff is rude and aggressive and unhelpful as well. There is no “check in here” link in any of the emails I received before the flight but those are full of unrelated information that you get lost by it. Those emails are absolutely useless. Once I found a link it brought be to the Air France home page instead of KLM’s. Astonished how bad they are. Also, the requirements for check in are so absurdly long and overwhelming, you need to upload all kind of documents and information even about your arrival day covid test, even though you have not had yet the results. Then the questions were asked again when I received the boarding pass. when arrived at Amsterdam for Transfer, there is an useless self transfer service, I would have expected that the airline would have aligned their flights, but no! The bus dropped me at the other end pf the airport from my gate to London, but I also didn’t know which gate it was as there were no board with flight information where the bus dropped me. I had to run through the normal terminal and queue for passport control again! this is unbelievable, if there wouldn’t have been one guard with a good heart and let me in front of the queue, I would have missed my transfer flight. I was sweating like a pig as I run a mile to the gate. There I told the airport crew that this is such a bad organization and I almost missed my flight. She arrogantly replied by asking: “but you didn’t did you?!” What a disgusting attitude! And I just read the negative reviews after my bad experience. I will not fly ever again with KLM.
RouteBudapest to London via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Didn't load my luggage in Amsterdam"

Trip Verified | Didn't load my luggage in Amsterdam. Found out in Las Vegas. Had no hand luggage or anything since they forced me to check it in Munich. Was stranded with nothing for an entire day. They didn't help at all. When I finally got my luggage it was damaged and the inside of my suitcase destroyed. No compensation but the run around. Never again!
RouteMunich to las Vegas via Amsterdam