Flair Airlines

"Can’t say I’d book again"

Not Verified | Toronto to Calgary. First time flyer. Flight delayed 8.5 hrs, no given reason. Lots of long faces around here. Vacation negatively impacted, less fun and more cost. Can’t get my rental car, do activities today, or get to the ski hill tomorrow thanks to this blunder. To top it off it was $90 to pack my bag and snowboard. Can’t say I’d book again.
RouteToronto to Calgary
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"definitely fly Flair Air again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Calgary via Winnipeg. My family had a wonderful experience with Flair Air. Despite snow falling in Toronto, the plane left on time to Calgary. Staff were friendly, lots of leg room, no problems checking in and no problems with our luggage. Flying back to Toronto from Calgary a week later went just as well. Again, cold snowy weather did not cause any delays. We packed food for the flight and downloaded Netflix movies on our devices. No need for on-flight entertainment. We will definitely fly Flair Air again.
RouteToronto to Calgary via Winnipeg

"Highly recommend Flair"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Calgary via Winnipeg. A great experience from start to finish. All legs of my flight from Toronto to Calgary were not only on time - they were early. All the staff were super friendly, helpful and professional. They took safety more seriously than other airlines I have been on as well. The planes were all clean and there was a good range of snacks and drinks for purchase on each flight. Seats were leather and very comfortable and there was plenty of legroom. The only (minor) gripe I have is the shuttle bus you have to take to a far away gate at Toronto airport, but that is a small price to pay for the huge savings compared to what the other airlines wanted to charge me for this trip. Highly recommend Flair - give them a try!
RouteToronto to Calgary via Winnipeg

"Most bizarre experience"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Most bizarre experience ever: My father and I were booked on F8766 on 19 February Phoenix/Mesa Edmonton. Not only was the flight two hours late to depart (10 pm) but there was a sudden, unscheduled stop in Palm Springs which none of the passengers knew about until it suddenly landed. It was unbelievable. People were in shock. When we asked why the stop, the airline crew said they had to pick up passengers who had been stuck there since 7.30 am. People blurted out 'is this a bus?'. This incident with the protracted flying time and uncertainty, threw my father (who was turning 90 two days later) into a state of anxiety which only increased as the plane sat on the tarmac for hours, further delayed by an elderly passenger who soon after boarding, had a sudden medical condition (probably from having had to wait at the Palm Springs airport for most of the day due to another Flair mess up). We finally arrived in Edmonton to minus 20 degree temperatures at 5 am. My father was extremely anxious the whole time, and has remained so ruining his 90th birthday party, which I flew to Canada for from my home in Sri Lanka. I am now delaying my stay in Edmonton to care for him as such, when I requested the airline today to cover my flight change, they gave the lamest, poorest excuse I have ever heard, that the diversion (which was clearly deliberate and sneaky on their part as none of us were advised before or during departure about the Palm Springs diversion) was 'beyond their control' - I wouldn't even call what they said an apology - the minimum expected - nor of course any cost consideration (for me it was the principle to request). I work for the United Nations and as such have been living and travelling internationally, including in many weird places on small airlines, for more than 30 years. But I have never experienced anything of this sort and would not expect this experience in Canada, my home country. I had welcomed a low cost airline option in Canada which was long overdue but it is not worth it - certainly not at this kind of cost to people's health and wellness.
RouteMesa to Edmonton
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"100% recommending them "

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. I was really skeptical with having to take Flair Airline for my birthday trip from Toronto to Vancouver (heading to Whistler.) After reading a ton of reviews I took the leap and my husband and I flew with Flair Airlines. Amazing experience! We got to the airport - checked in, boarding passes printed prior to service, bought baggage ahead of time as well. (This alone saves you ($20 for printing boarding passes at home, $140 buying baggage ahead.) READ THE FINE PRINT even in the emails they state to buy baggage ahead half the reviews on this site is how they charge for baggage! It isn't that bad my husband and I brought 1 carry on, 1 personal item and 1 checked bag. All in round trip no hidden fees was around ($830) WHICH IS A STEAL !! As for the flight itself the staff were friendly, very knowledgeable. We had a 40 minute layover in Edmonton to allow people who were flying to Edmonton to get off and the people flying from Edmonton to Vancouver. So efficient and quickly done WE LANDED 40 MINUTES EARLY!! The price of food is relatively good (we brought our own snacks) but bought 2 Tall boys of Heineken for $16.00 ! I could not have had a better experience with them. I will 100% be recommending them to friends and family. So pleased to know we have a trusted airline in Canada to fly!
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"a great trip especially for the price"

Trip Verified | We booked a 1 week return trip to Palm Springs to go visit my parents and the Flair trip was really good. (Especially since for my wife and I it only cost $500, where as WJ was $1600). We left at 1:45pm on Saturday on time, the check in staff were very friendly and helpful and the flight attendants were as well. The plane wasn't very full so we had an entire row to ourselves. The plane left on time and the seats were very comfortable with almost a little more legroom than WJ or AC (We were in row 4). Landed in Palm Springs and our bags came out in no time. The return trip was 1 hour delayed due to weather in Edmonton (the inbound flight). The airport staff kept us updated and boarded us as soon as they were able. The inflight crew was great again and so were the seats. Again we had an entire row to ourselves and so it was a great flight north. Once we arrived we only waited maybe 2-3 min before our bags came down the belt in customs. I have to say that since you have to pay for overhead bin space and not many people did as you could easily just put it under your seat, the boarding and deplaning was way faster than WJ or AC. All in all a great trip especially for the price. When you go on a super budget discount airline you can't expect much and I was impressed overall by the experience. I will fly Flair again. I know there is a lot of bad reviews, but like any airline it depends on the day and whats happening with the weather. Good job Flair! I was impressed!
RouteEdmonton to Palm Springs

"inexperienced crews"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Palm Springs. Terrible flight. We were suppose to land in Palm Springs only to be diverted to Las Vegas because the pilot was not experienced enough to land in low cloud or raining condition. Then we had to ride a bus for 5 hours from Las Vegas go Palm Springs airport. Not a word from an airline representative, not even a complimentary meal along the way. Lessoned learned is you get what you pay for. Cheap flights = cheap airline = inexperienced crews
RouteEdmonton to Palm Springs

"Horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. February 9, 2019. Flight out of Toronto was scheduled to depart for 7am, with boarding at 06h15. At 7am we still had not boarded and had not received any announcements fro the gate crew. A few minutes after 7am, the gate crew announced “unscheduled maintenance of the plane, we will update you every 15 minutes”. Two and a half hours later they were still repeating the same message and they still provided no information regarding the nature of the problem, any approximate time when we could expect the flight to be leaving, whether the flight would be cancelled, if we should make other arrangements, nothing. The gate crew knew nothing, they didn’t know what the issue on the plane was. They could not provide any number to call for updates or any help. I called the customer service number from the website and they told me according to their systems the plane was still showing as scheduled to depart at 7am, this was at 10am! Through customer service I had my flight cancelled, and rebooked with Westjet at a large extra cost with their next available flight at 4pm. On the phone again with Flair customer service, the agent said their policy is to not provide money for flights rebooked with other airlines. She said they have a new plane arriving and leaving at 12 noon (this is 5 hours past the scheduled departure time). As we waited for our Westjet flight, we watched the flight information board to see if the Flair flight would in fact leave at 12 noon. At almost 1230pm the flight board updates to say the Flair flight is now delayed till 2pm (7 hours past scheduled departure). A few minutes after 2pm, the flight info board showed that the flight had been cancelled. On the phone with Customer Service with Flair, I was told by customer service they don’t have a complaints department and she had no idea if or when anyone from the company would respond to my complaint. In fact the woman was quite antagonistic, there was no feeling of them trying to help me at all. A couple days later, I called back to Flair customer service to see if they could provide some refund for the extra 800$ we had to spend to leave the airport that day and they said they will not provide a refund. The only option they provide is to book the next flight with Flair Air. In this case, that flight was leaving at 07h00 the next day, but we didnt have anywhere to stay and didnt want to take the chance of another 7 hour delay and cancellation with this airline. Horrible experience.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never fly Flair Airlines again"

Not Verified | Las Vegas to Winnipeg via Edmonton. Well we had a great week. Snagged a great deal for a week in Las Vegas and took it. On the way to Las Vegas we had a scheduled layover in Edmonton that ended longer than expected. Flair Airlines had initially informed us that it was a crew rest issue, then it was that they were waiting for a co-pilot and the stories kept changing. Initially our flight was to be a direct flight from Winnipeg to Las Vegas and return but 11 days before departure they notified us that we would be going to Edmonton due to a change in the winter schedule (only to find out that they had not sold as many seats as expected). The layover of 3 hrs ended up being 5 hrs plus. Arrival at the Macarran International Airport was just as chaotic. The flight crew didn't say anything and the gate crew only mentioned that we could pick up our luggage at carousel 25, no terminal number or which shuttle to take. Many of the passengers including us ended at the wrong location and had to back track. Now for the return flight, this is where it really got frustrating. Prior to packing and leaving we get an email that there would be a 1.5 hr delay. It was assured that the connecting flight would be held for us. This was again stated very clearly at the gate that we would have our connection flight to Winnipeg waiting for us. Again every excuse about the delay. From what was conveyed to some travellers was that there were about 45 passengers connecting. Keep this in mind that there were 45 passengers deplaning, having to do a 5 minute walk to the customs hall, clear customs, wait at the wrong carousel that the agents had announced though it was minor, to exit customs and lug our baggage to the Flair counter who appeared to be unaware of our situation (in retrospect their doe eyed response most likely due to the plane preparing to leave without us), to then just clear screening to have final call be announced. That was just wrong, we had to run to the gate, others contemplated running in their socks from screening to make up time. No one took their time, we didn't even have time to take a washroom break unless you were waiting for your luggage in the customs hall. There were no agent to answer questions at the customs reception, passengers were given the impression that their luggage would be transferred to the connecting flight. I had to inform a select group sitting next to us in Las Vegas that we would have to hump our luggage to the check in counter. They confirmed this with the gate and were also angry that this was not being relayed to the rest of the passengers. The travel was an adventure and an example of how not to succeed in business. After reading other complaints we will never fly Flair Airlines again.
RouteLas Vegas to Winnipeg via Edmonton
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"My experience was very good"

Trip Verified | Abbotsford to Calgary. Just returned home from Calgary after 4 days. I read the reviews for Flair after I already booked . Based on the majority of reviews I was quite concerned i had made a bad choice. My experience was very good. Both segments were on time with regards to departure times.All staff i dealt with were courteous and friendly.. people need to understand this is a low còst carrier , they have the company policy regarding baggage and other services on their internet site. Yes they are rigid about charging for oversized or overweight dags. However, don't complain because you have to pay for things that you may have gotten away with on previous flight . I paid less than half what westjet charges for the same flight. I am sure Flair Air does need to address how they deal with the issues raised by others regarding delays. I am also sure we need Flair to succeed. They are what will keep other airlines from inflating their fares without consequences.
RouteAbbotsford to Calgary