Flair Airlines

"the negative reviews are valid"

Not Verified | Vancouver to Edmonton. Upon checking in, I was told my 90 minute flight would be delayed for 5 hours. I asked the woman at the gate if I was eligible for a refund, as I needed to book with a different airline. She told me this was not a problem and that she had issued my refund, to expect it in about 7-10 business days. 4 weeks later I had not received any money, so I spent an hour on hold with customer service, and was unable to get through. I sent in an online request (as they recommend this on their site for any customer service issues). They responded and apologized and let me know they were looking into it. Have not heard back from them since, with multiple emails sent from me to try and connect. It has now been almost 2 months, and I cannot get ahold of this company at all. Please beware that all the negative reviews are valid.
RouteVancouver to Edmonton
Date FlownJune 2019

"I had absolutely no problems"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Edmonton. I had absolutely no problems with this airline. My flight left and arrived on time both ways and the crew were very friendly on both flights. I would most definitely fly with Flair Air again.
RouteToronto to Edmonton
Date FlownJuly 2019

"absolutely livid with this airline"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Toronto. I am absolutely livid with this airline and I will never fly with them again. My fiancee and I need to travel to Quebec for a medical appointment. We decided to make a trip out of it and visit my best friend in Toronto for two weeks and drive to Quebec for the appointment. We booked our travel tickets through Flair Airlines. There was a change in my fiancee's university exam schedule and we found out we had to move our plane tickets. When I called them to do this, I was put on hold for 50 minutes before my call was answered. I am a teacher, so I have summers off and I phoned at a time where many people would be at work. When my call was finally answered, I couldn't understand anything the agent on the phone was saying. She constantly made mistakes while I was talking to her and she had zero customer service skills at all. Because we are travelling for a medical appointment, it is very important that we get there for a specific date/time. They had no flights that could accommodate our schedule and we are being forced to go 2 days later. When I expressed my concern with their service and with this entire process, she said nothing and changed the subject. She then quoted me that the charge would be $133 per person. I chose to only change one ticket, as it is my best friend and I could simply spend the extra week with her while my fiancee stays home to write his exam. She also told me she could "not guarentee" how much it would actually cost to change the ticket, as she could only give me a quote and not the real price. Huh?! How is it that I am calling you, with my credit card in hand, saying I will make this change now, and you cannot tell me what it is going to cost until you submit the irreversible changes?? That is absolutely ridiculous. When she hit the "change" button, the price magically jumped to $188. She told me that the charges were because of "tax". I live in Alberta and the tax rate is 5%, meaning tax should be no more than $10 on a $200 purchase. This purchase wasn't even for $200, so there is no way that was adding up. When I questioned her on it, she noticed that I had been "mistakenly" charged for the $15 change fee that isn't supposed to apply to ticket change requests. She then put me on hold for 15 minutes while she called to get support to change that. She could not explain where the rest of the charges came from and when I tried to question her, she answered every single question with "would you like me to proceed with these changes," regardless of how many times I asked her to explain it to me. Eventually, as we didn't have a choice, I paid it out of frustration. In total, the call with her trying to get a simple time change applied took an extra 27 minutes, meaning it took almost an hour and 20 minutes to do something that should have taken no more than 5 minutes. After reading everyone else's reviews, I feel lucky this was the only issue I've had so far. Now, we are terrified that my fiancee's flight may get cancelled at the last minute (which we have seen has happened to other people) and the medical appointment is for him. This is a specialist appointment we have been waiting for for several years and it cannot be moved. I am at a loss to explain the amount of stress and upset this has caused us and I will never fly with Flair again.
RouteCalgary to Toronto

"It’s a farce"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Halifax to Toronto. The flight started out with a one hour delay. It turned into two, but we were boarded. We were then told to get off the plane. Since then, they kept saying it would depart in half an hour. It’s now been six hours all in all, and they won’t tell us that it’s cancelled. Some of the passengers waited all evening yesterday - for the same plane, with the same technical issue - and it was eventually cancelled. They don’t make announcements, people take turns at asking and are told, that the staff don’t know when the plane will be ready. It’s a farce.
RouteHalifax to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2019

"loss for words and soon money"

Not Verified | Edmonton to Kelowna. I am currently at this moment about to lose my entire fare for a flight I have been trying to change since yesterday morning. I have submitted 2 fast track forms from their website to change my flight. I am aware of the $125.00 charges to do so, this isn't an issue for me. The website says that once the form is submitted you will receive an email that confirms your change and to then view the changes made in the "YOUR TRIP" folder online. I have recieved nothing. I then tried to call the customer service number listed on their website. I was greeted with "The number you have reached cannot be completed as dialled". I am at a loss for words and soon money.
RouteEdmonton to Kelowna
Date FlownJuly 2019

"service was extremely poor"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Calgary. Originally I chose to fly with them because the cost of the flight was very low, but in the end, it has cost me more money and stress than any flight I’ve ever taken. My incoming flight was cancelled and rescheduled to a new flight a day and a half later then what I booked. The airline did not notify me of this change. I found out when I went to check in online for my flight 24hours before departure and saw that the flight was leaving a day and a half later. Cutting my trip short, costing me money in accommodations and altogether ruining my plans for those two days. I called the airline to discuss this and they said there was nothing they could do. They offered to cancel and refund my flight all together but that is beside the point because I still have the intentions of taking this trip! The only other option they said was to change my return flight to 2.5 days later then I planned on returning, which is also fairly useless because I planned my trip around specific dates for a reason. According to Flair, there were “no other available flights” whatsoever. After being thoroughly disappointed by the conversation with the Flair agent, I hung up and waited until I could do the online check in for my flight. Upon filling in the online check in, I see that they are trying to charge me for a carry on bag. Apparently this was in the fine print when I booked the ticket - which I did not see. Also, on every flight I have ever taken, the carry on bags have been free. I had to pay $35 for a carry on bag, which now tacks on an additional $70 to my flight fee for the trip, along with the wasted money for arriving a day and a half late. I called a second time to talk to someone about the situation. I discussed my previous phone call about my flight getting cancelled and rebooked without notification and then the fact that I have to pay for my carry on bag as well. The agent explained the rationale behind charging for a carry on and fuel costs and cabin space. I told him I understood however I was dissatisfied because of all these out of pockets expenses I now have from arriving a day and a half later and having to pay for a carry on. He transferred the call to a “financial assistant“ of some kind - whom I waited for for nearly 20 minutes. After explaining my situation to her she simply says “no ma’am, there’s nothing I can do”. Refuses to offer any sort of compensation, compromise or any assistance whatsoever. After being on the phone another hour with zero help at all, I hung up the phone. For return trip home, I checked in online for my flight 24 hours prior and on the form I fill in 1 carry on bag for the $35 fee. I complete the check in and arrive the next day at the check in counter and the woman informs me I have not paid for a carry on bag. I discuss that I did indeed put 1 carry on bag for $35, just like I did on the way here. She looks and me and just says no. I tell her again, the process I took when booking it and am not sure why it did not work. She now says I must pay $50 for a carry on bag! At this point I am absolutely fed up with the service but I remain polite and calm and tell her that this airline has been absolutely horrible to deal with and hand her my credit card. She does not say anything to me at all, offer any apology or sympathy or understanding. The customer service was extremely poor. They would not accommodate or reimburse me in any of the situations. Nor did they display any genuine regard for the situation.
RouteVancouver to Calgary
Date FlownJuly 2019

"avoid this low cost airline"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. Please avoid this low cost airline if you value your time and sanity. The delay was known already a day before the departure as the airline kept sending email with updated time of departure. When I arrived at the airport everything seemed to be fine. Right now, they’ve announced the 3rd delay which is already 4.5 hrs. You get $10 voucher for food and non-alcoholic beverages for hours and hours of your time. Also note that their call centre operates only 9-5 so you won’t be able to get hold of anyone. And the funniest thing? It’s not even cheap.
Date FlownJuly 2019

"the worst level of service"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. Flight was originally scheduled to depart at 3pm PST. I arrive at airport 1.5 hrs in advance as required. Display board shows flight delayed 1.5 hrs to 4:30. (By the way you have to pay extra to get text notifications). One hour later, it now shows another delay to 6:30pm. At 5:50pm board gets changed to show a further delay now to 7:30pm departure. Unbelievable! Speak to gate agent and when asked why another delay, they say originally due to mechanical issues. Am told plane is in Edmonton and currently in air on way to Vancouver. When I asked why we are only told of another delay now, they say “ this is the information ground control gives us”. This is the worst level of service ever. I thought I saved $400 buying a last minute ticket to Vancouver vs Air Canada or Westjet. Turns out not getting to Toronto until 2am and no sleep to work tomorrow isn’t a good deal at all. This is the 2nd time I’ve flown Flair. First time had major delays due to mechanical issues. I should have learned my lesson the first time. This will be the last.
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Flight was delayed by 12 hours"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. Worst Airline and service ever. Flight was delayed by 12 hours because they said crew had to rest but this seems to be a normal excuse so that they don’t have to pay compensation due to passenger safety. Then when we finally boarded 12 hrs later aircraft had changed and so did our seating. It was absolute chaos.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2019

"don’t care about your time"

Not Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. We arrived at the airport for our flight scheduled to depart at 3:00pm. We were told that the flight was delayed until 8:00pm. When we arrived for our 8:00pm flight we were told that the flight was now delayed until 10:45pm. I noted that the new rules meant we should receive $125 per passenger for the delay and they advised the new rules only come into effect on 15JUL2019. Instead of stepping up to do the right thing, they gave us two $10 vouchers for food. They seemed completely unsympathetic and didn’t offer any alternative options. I wouldn’t recommend that anyone ever fly with Flair Air as they don’t care about your time.