WestJet Airlines

"WestJet was accommodating and empathic"

I recently had to make a change to an existing flight due to a death in my family. WestJet was accommodating and empathic. They switched my flight, finding me the best price. Offered me a bereavement discount and no charge on my luggage. They also told me that should I need to extend my flight they would waive the change fees.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"crew very friendly and accommodating"

Very pleased with both the outbound and return WestJet flights. Both flights were at inconvenient times (very late at night and very early in the morning); plus the outbound one was 1.5 hours late due to pilots arriving late from a connecting flight, so we arrived in Moncton at 2:00 am! Nevertheless, the flight crew on both legs were very friendly and accommodating, the seats were comfortable with exceptionally good legroom (better than I've experienced on several transatlantic flights), and the planes seemed in good condition. The outbound plane had individual IFE screens, but they were tiny and I didn't bother. The return plane was newer and didn't have any screens. I wouldn't hesitate to fly WestJet again for flights up to 3 hours.
RouteToronto to Moncton
Date FlownAugust 2015

WestJet Airlines customer review

Cabin is ok, flight crew were nice but definitely not professional. During the safety demo they flight attendants were joking around. I understand they want to make the flight enjoyable and stress free, there is a time to be a clown. I am a frequent flyer thought I would give WJ another chance but sadly this will be the last time. This airline is not made for the seasoned flyer but for someone who rarely flys. The announcements in the terminal for boarding are way to long and it feels like they are like to hear there own voice. Paid extra for the "plus" seating. It was a bit worth it but you get what you pay for. The flight was excellent, very smooth. Also when doing the meal service please cut back on the jokes and stop trying to be "buddy buddy" with everyone. WJ should talk to their employees about this "toilet paper game" they have going on. Very unprofessional. Would I recommend this airline to others? Yes, for none seasoned travellers and no for people going on business travel it is just too rowdy at times.
RouteToronto to Calgary

WestJet Airlines customer review

Flight to Toronto was delayed 4 hours for unknown reason and the two preceding flights on the same evening were cancelled entirely. On the return flight from Toronto to New York the flight was cancelled due to thunderstorms. Other flights to New York with other airlines were simply delayed. Had to stay overnight in a hotel (not paid for as the cancellation was attributed to weather). The 7 am flight was then also cancelled the following morning, ostensibly due to issues with air traffic control. The next flight at noon left 1.5 hours late as the pilot was coming from another plane.
RouteToronto to New York
Date FlownAugust 2015

WestJet Airlines customer review

Once again very pleasant experience flying with Westjet. Ground staff and flight staff kind and helpful. Flight from Winnipeg to Toronto was delayed for an hour and passengers were informed of the delay at all times. Clean aircraft, generous legroom and comfortable seats.
AircraftBoeing 737-600 and Boeing 737-700
RouteWinnipeg to New York-LGA via Toronto

WestJet Airlines customer review

Flew WestJet across the pond from Glasgow to Toronto with a stop in Halifax. Flight was on time, smooth and overall very pleasant. Ground staff were friendly, flight attendants were as well and the Captain who came out to make a welcome aboard announcement from the galley.They have Seatback TV which isn't available until you reach Canadian airspace so they play free movies as well. Food selection could be better but overall good value for the money.
RouteGlasgow to Toronto

WestJet Airlines customer review

Westjet deliver an acceptable standard of service at a reasonable price. I wouldn't say they are exceptional. Rather, you get what it says on the box. Staff are always reasonably friendly, unlike some other Canadian flag carriers. Gate staff often have a joke for the passengers as they board, cheesy, but OK. I don't like the move towards having to buy food on planes, but the food they served was decent, although as with all airlines, pricey. The planes are starting to look a little tired with the seats being "well worn". Overall, I would say the airline neither made or ruined the travel portion of our vacation.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteToronto to St Lucia
Date FlownApril 2015

WestJet Airlines customer review

No delays to or from Puerto Vallarta. Unlike Sunwing the trip before. So you don't get a meal free, but you get much better service. We have flown with WestJet on three other flights to Mexico, only one time was there a delay, but we were given a food voucher and kept up to date,unlike SW. Do think they should make everyone put carry ons in the sizers like Air Canada is doing! We will continue to use WestJet.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta Mexico
Date FlownDecember 2014

WestJet Airlines customer review

This is my third time using Westjet and it will be the last, all three times have been a horrible experience, but this last time has been an absolute disaster. Our flight to New York was scheduled for 4:15 pm - while waiting it was announced that the flight will be 10-15 minutes late, on the plane the pilot announced that we will be another 15 minutes late and 20 minutes later he announces that we will be departing at 6:15. We were given permission to leave the plane but to be back by 5:30. At 5:30 we were told that the flight has been cancelled and to go to the desk at the gate to be put on another flight. At the gate we are told 30 minutes later that there are no flights to New York for the rest of the day. Back through customs after an hour of waiting in a line that was hardly moving we are told to get out of the line and call Westjet to re-book the flight for the next day. Called Westjet and told that there is a flight at 8:25 to New York, after the manager says all flights are cancelled. The customer service rep on the phone says to me I can book you on the 8:25 flight but there is no guarantee that it wont be cancelled. We were expected to wait another 2 hours and to find out whether there is a flight or not which is the best they could offer. I asked for a refund so I can book with another airline and which is refused saying that it was not their fault it was La Guardia Airport that cancelled the flights. I rebooked my flight for the next morning at 7:00, which meant another $100.00 for cab fair ($50.00 each way) and waking up at 4:00 am to get to the airport by 6:00. A flight that takes one hour started with me leaving my home at 2:30 pm and reaching New York at 9:20 the next morning.
RouteToronto to New York

WestJet Airlines customer review

From the moment our trip started it has been disappointment after disappointment. First, it took us 21 hours to make it from Abbotsford to our destination, Saskatoon (normally a 3.5 hour trip). Yes, there were issues with the weather, but on top of that WestJet canceled flights and we had to wait for late crew members. Well, on our way back home we missed our flight because of two minutes. The flight was supposed to leave at 5.45 and we got to the gate door at 5.37. Our boarding time was 5.05 and we got to the airport at 5. I did the online check-in, but even though my son is only ten-years-old I could not send his boarding pass to my email address or print at the kiosk, resulting that I had to go to a check-in desk in Saskatoon (which made us late) and deal with a very rude WestJet employee. Instead of trying to be helpful, all she did was lecture me that I was late and that I was probably going to miss my flight. I explained about the boarding pass issue and asked if she could help to expedite our way through the security line so we wouldn't miss our flight. Her answer was "you got here late and you have to wait like everybody else. There's nothing I can do". As we were finishing going through security they called my and my family member's names. We ran and made it to the gate two minutes after they had closed the airplane's door. I couldn't believe that knowing that we were coming they closed the doors anyway. This was the worst airline customer service I have experienced.
RouteSaskatoon to Abbotsford via Calgary