Virgin Atlantic

"kind and very hospitable"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Tobago with Virgin Atlantic. The cabin crew were exceptionally kind and very hospitable. The flight number was VS097. I forgot to notify the airline of my food allergies in advance yet the stewardess made every effort to provide me with meals that were vegetarian and would not get me sick. Thank you so much again.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Tobago
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"never had such a poor treatment"

Trip Verified | Paid for a 5pm direct flight from San Francisco to London. Had seats with my wife assigned and vegan meals ordered. Our flight got cancelled. We where rerouted the next day with a 9:00 am flight to LA, with a 4 hour layover to a connection flight to London. Called USA Virgin Atlantic customer service, was on hold for 90 minutes, till my phone died. Tried again later that evening and No one answered. The next day, we got up at 4:00 am because we had to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight, had no breakfast and when we checked in at the counter we found out that we where seated separately on both flights and that our vegan meals where canceled. In LA I called customer service who could not fix anything, due to the “system” not allowing him to do so. He was arrogant, telling us to contact ground staff to see if they could get our seats together, and advised us to buy our own meals at the airport. Furthermore, he said that we should be grateful that we are returning home the next day. Ground staff did get us two seats together, but we did not have vegan meals. On the airplane the flight attendant was kind to find us food that we could eat from other meals. Never had such a poor treatment from an airline before in my life!
RouteSan Fransisco to London
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"could not fault the service"

Not Verified | A wonderful Crew. London Heathrow to New York JFK. Flew Economy on the 13th and 17th January. I’ve never flown with Virgin before, but definitely will again! Honestly could not fault the service, all staff were friendly, helpful, attentive and lovely to talk to, my whole group felt the same! The food was really good also and so was the on-board entertainment. Will be definitely flying with Virgin again.
RouteLondon Heathrow to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"a good experience rather than great"

Trip Verified | Flew on the VS26 at 08.05 in Premium Economy. Arrived at JFK T4 at 05.30 and no queues at Premium bag drop, so processed very quickly having already checked in online. My original pre-reserved seat was honoured so no problems. I was able to go through the SkyPriority TSA fast track security lane although there was still quite a queue, but I've had far worse out of JFK. Boarding started around 7.10 and when I got there I was able to board via the priority line with only one passenger ahead of me so that was great. Once onboard a choice of water, juice or Prosecco was offered fairly soon whilst still on the ground. We departed on time and were airborne within 20 mins. Shortly after the seat belt sign was switched off the cabin service manager came to find me, as a Silver card flying club member, to introduce herself and welcome me back on board, which was a nice personal touch and did not happen on my outbound journey. The service did seem to take a long time to get going, seemed like an hour after take off. This was the light meal first, breakfast of Bircher muesli and a hot bacon (or cheese and egg) roll, with tea and coffee but no bar service. After the breakfast trays were collected back in the crew just seem to vanish for a couple of hours. I'd have expected there to have been a couple of drinks services. All there was in the empty galley was a few biscuits, chocolates, bags of sweets and a rather lonely large bottle of water. I thought this lack of service was poor. Later on about 2 hours from London they came around with a bar service and pretzels, then about 30 mins later was the main meal with wine offered. Like my outbound flight the food quality and quantity was good and on a par with BA and AA in Premium. The seat was comfortable with a decent recline, so I was able to relax whilst watching a movie. The IFE whilst functionally fine with a relatively large screen, does not in my opinion have great choices of movies. The flight landed early and even though I was through immigration very quickly as a UK passport holder, my priority bag was already on the belt when I arrived, which was great. Overall a good experience rather than great due to the average inflight service.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNew York JFK to London Heathrow
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"this was a good experience"

Trip Verified | London to New York JFK. Flew Premium Economy on VS025 20:05 departure from LHR T3. Checked in online and my pre-reserved seat was honoured. I needed to check a bag and when I arrived in the terminal circa 17:20 I was pleasantly surprised that there was no queue at the Prem bag drop desks. Very quickly processed and on my way through the airport security. I boarded quite close to departure so there was no queue at the gate albeit I did see there was a priority boarding queue. Once onboard I was quickly offered a choice of water, orange juice or Prosecco. The prosecco was good! Airborne around 25 mins after departure from the gate. The service started about another 30-40 mins later. This was drinks and pretzels followed reasonably soon afterwards by the meal. The meal was good quality and quantity. I had pre-ordered mine online and this was honoured although I was even offered the choice to change if desired. (I was about half way through the cabin). Tea and coffee followed and more drinks available if requested. The seat is comfortable. It feels very wide and has decent recline and a foot rest. Having flown on other carriers in this cabin I would describe the seat as better than BA and AA but not as comfortable as Norwegian. The IFE I thought was average; plenty of choice, but a lot of it not great. About 90 mins before arrival we were served afternoon tea, consisting of sandwiches and scones and a macaroon with tea and coffee although drinks from the bar were available on request. The crew were efficient and friendly. On arrival my bag was immediately available, but I had spent over 30 mins in the Immigration hall. Overall this was a good experience in line with my expectations for Premium Economy.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLondon to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"absolutely not worth the fare"

Trip Verified | London to Havana. First time on Upper Class, and somehow it fell quite short. Did not like the seating config - though sat together, we were a long way apart as is the case for alternate rows. Lounge at LGW all table service - nice staff, quality of breakfast absolutely dire. Once aboard, despite it's reputation, I struggled to find anything to interest me on the IFE. Food was very grim - beef on the outbound was like chewing a doormat, and I dislike the way they serve drinks ready poured from the galley as opposed to miniatures most airlines dispense. Drinks were not strong either. On the return, my earphone jack only worked in one ear so I was stuck with a tablet with much less choice and a tiny screen. Again, food and drink poor. Crew both ways were OK without being standout, very bumpy for most of the return but not a word from the flightdeck the whole time - something frequent but still nervous flyers like us find reassuring. All that was said once landing was "hope the turbulence didn't trouble you too much". Idiotic to serve breakfast without putting the lighting back up and when it was so choppy it was difficult to keep it all on the table. Sorry Virgin, absolutely not worth the fare.
RouteLondon to Havana
Date FlownNovember 2019

"experience with Virgin was so bad"

Trip Verified | London to Boston. Terrible experience. Seats are so close together that it was actually painful to sit there for 7+ hours. When we boarded the plane, it was so hot it made my wife nauseous, and we just had to endure until take off. Then the TV screens in the seats were barely functional, very difficult to navigate and use. I used to fly Virgin frequently but after this experience I will give my business to their competitors. My experience with Virgin was so bad.
RouteLondon to Boston
Date FlownDecember 2019

"never fly with Virgin again"

Trip Verified | I will never fly with Virgin again. They changed my flight 3 times before I was to go from Atlanta to London on the 26th December 2019. They took me out of premium and into economy delight. I informed them that it was unacceptable. On the day of my flight back to London. I had a 45 min lay over. I reached the desk in 30 minutes from getting off my earlier flight. They closed the gate and would not let me on even though I still had 25 minutes before take off. I was put on an economy Delta flight. I did not get my money back for the premium ticket. Horrible experience.
RouteLondon to Atlanta
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I could recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Washington to London. Friendly, helpful, and responsive crew. On my outbound flight, I was so exhausted that I felt sick, but crew treated me kindly and quickly. Fortunately, I got feel better soon after taking anti-sick pills and oxygen mask. I would like to thank cabin crews from VS22 on Dec. 14 concerning this. Foods were good for economy, though not great. I usually don't use inflight entertainments, but I liked the selection of boarding music. I booked with economy classic, but paid extra for economy delight for outbound and exit row for return. The former was an older version of seat, which is a bit out-of-date from today's standard. A newer seat in the return flight was very comfortable, and I suspect this was the case if it had not to be exit row. I enjoyed my flight, and will come back again. While general service quality may not be comparable to five-star airlines in Asia, I could recommend this airline at least when you have to cross the Atlantic.
AircraftA330-200
RouteWashington to London
Date FlownDecember 2019

"never recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | London to Delhi. The airline offers economy light tickets to long distance travelling passengers which means they are not allowed to carry baggage unless paid separately. Passengers are also not allowed to choose seat prior to travel unless paid separately for this service too. Their agents like Opodo do not make this clear enough to passengers at the time of selling tickets to them. It often comes as bad surprise to travellers. Opodo does not like to take the ownership of cheating by way of misinformation. This affects the airline reputation and people like me will think several times before travelling by this airline again. I was female traveller and was forced to sit between two male passengers on a small seat, putting me in very uncomfortable and awkward position. I would never recommend this airline to anyone this was my first and last experience with them.
RouteLondon to Delhi