Virgin Atlantic

"Vast improvements are needed"

Trip Verified | Check-in, Security and Boarding were all reasonably efficient. The Virgin Atlantic aircraft interiors are always pleasing and welcoming with the nice mood lighting. Unfortunately the seat is not very welcoming. Something about this seat makes it feel very uncomfortable and cramped, even for an economy seat. The flight got off to a bad start when the IFE completely stopped working, and unfortunately never started working again for the rest of the flight. This happened whilst halfway through the safety demonstration, causing the crew to have to suddenly scramble to perform a manual safety demo. The crew were outstanding, and really made this flight. Without their friendly and professional attitude, the experience would have been poor. They tried their best to get the IFE working whilst also creatively coming up with ideas for entertainment e.g. drawing competitions and quizzes etc. A really great team! Food was terrible! This airline has sadly lost it's classy image. Having a great brand is not enough! Vast improvements are needed.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Boston
Date FlownJune 2019

"not provided the service advertised"

Trip Verified | I purchased an upper class seat with Virgin Atlantic, and when I was not provided the service as advertised, the customer service agent had this to say: “I must advise with respect the meals and drinks we provide to our customers on our flights are complimentary and does not form any part of the cost of the ticket to fly with us”. Instead of being offered a travel voucher or something nice for the inconvenience, you are berated as though it is somehow an imposition to ask for what is advertised when you booked; go figure! Virgin refused to do anything to assist in the matter, and finished me off with an empty apology.
RouteLondon to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2020

"chooses to impose outrageous penalties"

Not Verified | In this time of hardship and a world wide pandemic, Virgin chooses to impose outrageous penalties, unless you booked in March 2020, what about us the people that have tickets and vacations planed since last year? The pandemic is now a heartless company. They would rather fly ghosts planes creating fuel emissions that damage the economy by wasting fuel and leaving a much contaminated air pollution behind at least give the world a break at least in this time of trouble. BA, Lufthansa and all other mayor important airlines waived the penalties, look around you. Everyone will remember this moment in which you chose money as oppose to profits. As we travelers have seen what you truly are.
RouteMiami to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2020

"kind and lovely staff"

Trip Verified | New York to London. Virgin Atlantic are the best. Extremely kind and lovely staff. The food was amazing especially the wine, the plane was new, amazing in flight entertainment.
RouteNew York to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"kind and very hospitable"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Tobago with Virgin Atlantic. The cabin crew were exceptionally kind and very hospitable. The flight number was VS097. I forgot to notify the airline of my food allergies in advance yet the stewardess made every effort to provide me with meals that were vegetarian and would not get me sick. Thank you so much again.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Tobago
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"never had such a poor treatment"

Trip Verified | Paid for a 5pm direct flight from San Francisco to London. Had seats with my wife assigned and vegan meals ordered. Our flight got cancelled. We where rerouted the next day with a 9:00 am flight to LA, with a 4 hour layover to a connection flight to London. Called USA Virgin Atlantic customer service, was on hold for 90 minutes, till my phone died. Tried again later that evening and No one answered. The next day, we got up at 4:00 am because we had to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight, had no breakfast and when we checked in at the counter we found out that we where seated separately on both flights and that our vegan meals where canceled. In LA I called customer service who could not fix anything, due to the “system” not allowing him to do so. He was arrogant, telling us to contact ground staff to see if they could get our seats together, and advised us to buy our own meals at the airport. Furthermore, he said that we should be grateful that we are returning home the next day. Ground staff did get us two seats together, but we did not have vegan meals. On the airplane the flight attendant was kind to find us food that we could eat from other meals. Never had such a poor treatment from an airline before in my life!
RouteSan Fransisco to London
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"could not fault the service"

Not Verified | A wonderful Crew. London Heathrow to New York JFK. Flew Economy on the 13th and 17th January. I’ve never flown with Virgin before, but definitely will again! Honestly could not fault the service, all staff were friendly, helpful, attentive and lovely to talk to, my whole group felt the same! The food was really good also and so was the on-board entertainment. Will be definitely flying with Virgin again.
RouteLondon Heathrow to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"a good experience rather than great"

Trip Verified | Flew on the VS26 at 08.05 in Premium Economy. Arrived at JFK T4 at 05.30 and no queues at Premium bag drop, so processed very quickly having already checked in online. My original pre-reserved seat was honoured so no problems. I was able to go through the SkyPriority TSA fast track security lane although there was still quite a queue, but I've had far worse out of JFK. Boarding started around 7.10 and when I got there I was able to board via the priority line with only one passenger ahead of me so that was great. Once onboard a choice of water, juice or Prosecco was offered fairly soon whilst still on the ground. We departed on time and were airborne within 20 mins. Shortly after the seat belt sign was switched off the cabin service manager came to find me, as a Silver card flying club member, to introduce herself and welcome me back on board, which was a nice personal touch and did not happen on my outbound journey. The service did seem to take a long time to get going, seemed like an hour after take off. This was the light meal first, breakfast of Bircher muesli and a hot bacon (or cheese and egg) roll, with tea and coffee but no bar service. After the breakfast trays were collected back in the crew just seem to vanish for a couple of hours. I'd have expected there to have been a couple of drinks services. All there was in the empty galley was a few biscuits, chocolates, bags of sweets and a rather lonely large bottle of water. I thought this lack of service was poor. Later on about 2 hours from London they came around with a bar service and pretzels, then about 30 mins later was the main meal with wine offered. Like my outbound flight the food quality and quantity was good and on a par with BA and AA in Premium. The seat was comfortable with a decent recline, so I was able to relax whilst watching a movie. The IFE whilst functionally fine with a relatively large screen, does not in my opinion have great choices of movies. The flight landed early and even though I was through immigration very quickly as a UK passport holder, my priority bag was already on the belt when I arrived, which was great. Overall a good experience rather than great due to the average inflight service.
RouteNew York JFK to London Heathrow
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"this was a good experience"

Trip Verified | London to New York JFK. Flew Premium Economy on VS025 20:05 departure from LHR T3. Checked in online and my pre-reserved seat was honoured. I needed to check a bag and when I arrived in the terminal circa 17:20 I was pleasantly surprised that there was no queue at the Prem bag drop desks. Very quickly processed and on my way through the airport security. I boarded quite close to departure so there was no queue at the gate albeit I did see there was a priority boarding queue. Once onboard I was quickly offered a choice of water, orange juice or Prosecco. The prosecco was good! Airborne around 25 mins after departure from the gate. The service started about another 30-40 mins later. This was drinks and pretzels followed reasonably soon afterwards by the meal. The meal was good quality and quantity. I had pre-ordered mine online and this was honoured although I was even offered the choice to change if desired. (I was about half way through the cabin). Tea and coffee followed and more drinks available if requested. The seat is comfortable. It feels very wide and has decent recline and a foot rest. Having flown on other carriers in this cabin I would describe the seat as better than BA and AA but not as comfortable as Norwegian. The IFE I thought was average; plenty of choice, but a lot of it not great. About 90 mins before arrival we were served afternoon tea, consisting of sandwiches and scones and a macaroon with tea and coffee although drinks from the bar were available on request. The crew were efficient and friendly. On arrival my bag was immediately available, but I had spent over 30 mins in the Immigration hall. Overall this was a good experience in line with my expectations for Premium Economy.
RouteLondon to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"absolutely not worth the fare"

Trip Verified | London to Havana. First time on Upper Class, and somehow it fell quite short. Did not like the seating config - though sat together, we were a long way apart as is the case for alternate rows. Lounge at LGW all table service - nice staff, quality of breakfast absolutely dire. Once aboard, despite it's reputation, I struggled to find anything to interest me on the IFE. Food was very grim - beef on the outbound was like chewing a doormat, and I dislike the way they serve drinks ready poured from the galley as opposed to miniatures most airlines dispense. Drinks were not strong either. On the return, my earphone jack only worked in one ear so I was stuck with a tablet with much less choice and a tiny screen. Again, food and drink poor. Crew both ways were OK without being standout, very bumpy for most of the return but not a word from the flightdeck the whole time - something frequent but still nervous flyers like us find reassuring. All that was said once landing was "hope the turbulence didn't trouble you too much". Idiotic to serve breakfast without putting the lighting back up and when it was so choppy it was difficult to keep it all on the table. Sorry Virgin, absolutely not worth the fare.
RouteLondon to Havana