Virgin Atlantic

"entertainment system is extremely outdated"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to New York JFK with Virgin Atlantic. The entertainment system is extremely outdated in comparison with other airlines I’ve used, both in terms of the software (not touch screen, started up too late, etc) and screen resolution (text was unreadable), badly needs an update. Food could also use improvement, I’ve tasted better on at least several other airlines. Food fold-out table is badly designed, the half closer to me was angled down toward me causing my tray to slip if placed there. Seat pocket is too thin/tight to fit things like a blanket. The seat in front of me had an affixed metal box underneath on the left so there wasn’t enough space to horizontally place my carry-on laptop bag. As you can see most of my feedback relates to components of the plane, not as much the service. Overall a 3/10 from me; some changes relating to the above could raise it at least a few points.
RouteLondon Heathrow to New York JFK
Date FlownAugust 2019

"pleasantly surprised by the A330"

Trip Verified | We were very pleasantly surprised by the A330 aircraft operated on this route between Manchester and Boston. Our previous experience with Virgin had been great except for the seat. Where in the old seats you had to stand up and flip the back of the seat over to make the bed now, in the new seat you simply press the button to recline or lie flat. A great improvement. Overall the seat was very comfortable with plenty of leg and storage room. The Upper Class Business cabin was pretty full but the crew were excellent throughout the flight and the pyjamas were very comfortable and amenity kit adequate but in a usefully reusable bag. The pair of real, bespoke Virgin Socks (in addition to the normal flight socks) was a lovely little extra. I thought the IFE selection a bit dull but the unit worked properly and was easy to use. I simply didn't get much out of the offerings available, the screen was also a lot small than the best (Emirates), and they do not let you have the IFE until after takeoff for some reason and disappointing. Food on the main menu was good, the signature burger on the snack menu was a masterpiece and the bacon sandwich and almond croissant for breakfast were great. Overall, when Virgin extends this seat to the rest of their fleet and open their Upper-Class lounge in Manchester, promised for 2020, we will be using them as a preferred option.
RouteBoston to Manchester
Date FlownAugust 2019

"plane is getting long in the tooth"

Not Verified | London to New York. This plane is getting long in the tooth now - and the interior is somewhat passe. The old Premium Economy seat is comfy enough (but nothing like as good as the new version or BA PE seat), but the TV screen is so old that it was completely unusable - couldn't see the picture on it! Silly power plug system still in use. Crew good though and food not bad.
AircraftA340-600
RouteLondon to New York
Date FlownJuly 2019

"they made us very comfortable"

Not Verified | Gatwick to Miami. I was impressed on how wonderful the service was, the plane comfort and the staff was amazing on both flights. For a nine hour flight back and forth from Miami to London they made us very comfortable. They fed us and gave us coffee, water and snacks.
RouteGatwick to Miami

"Absolutely wonderful service"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Heathrow. Absolutely wonderful service. Had recently had abdominal surgery and flight attendants were extra helpful and caring. Missed my return flight due to feeling ill from side effects of treatments and medications and without question, the greeting staff in London helped me change flights and organize a place to stay for the night. They very kindly did not charge me the £200+ for flight change, considering my situation. I felt they really cared for my safety, health, and well-being. I’ve never had a better experience with an airline in my life. This is a top airline with the best staff.
RouteNew York JFK to Heathrow
Date FlownAugust 2019

"meal service was excellent"

Trip Verified | This was my third time flying Virgin Atlantic from Los Angeles to London. In the past, Virgin Atlantic provided complimentary amenity kit in economy class. This time, no amenity kit was provided and I missed Virgin Atlantic's red-colored eye mask. The meal service was excellent. For dinner, Virgin Atlantic gave an option of three different meals (one of which was vegetarian). Dessert was delicious as well. IFE had a fantastic collection of movies. The tray tables on B787-9 were a bit stiff to maneuver and inadequately small. There were several unhappy passengers on my flight because they weren't seated next to their companions. As long as passengers are careful about picking the right economy class product (Light/Classic/Delight), their experience with Virgin Atlantic would be off to a good start.
RouteLos Angeles to London
Date FlownJuly 2019

"didn't get any response"

Trip Verified | London to Delhi, connecting with Vistara to Varanasi. Virgin Atlantic flight was delayed from LHR itself by more than one hour. The staff were giving me wrong information about my luggage transfer at Delhi airport, Even they had given me assurance at London and in the flight as well that my luggage will be transferred at Delhi and you will get it at Varanasi. When i reached Delhi the ground staff started telling me that you have to collect your luggage and it was already 12:20 and my next flight boarding was at 12:50. So we missed our next flight and they told us that we will arrange any next available flight. After 5 hours at 05:00 PM they refused to provide any kind of support or flight or stay, they told us to purchase new tickets at your own and we cant do anything. And now its more than three weeks i am chasing them for resolution of this case but didn't get any response from their customer relation department.
RouteLondon to Delhi
Date FlownJune 2019

"least trained customer service"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to London. Virgin Atlantic has the worst and least trained customer service! Right from their ground staff to the ones in the office who deal with the customers concerns. The ground staff in Johannesburg refused to let me board my flight to London because they claimed I checked in the wrong number of kilos with my luggage. They were extremely rude, and actually took pictures of my passport. I have never seen such outrageous behaviour. I sent in a formal complaint and after several days of silence, i got an email from one of their "customer care" agents and she told me how she has to first get in touch with her colleagues in Johannesburg to get more information. After several days, she came up with the most outrageous story I ever heard. She claimed they sometimes their staff takes pictures of customers documents because they have people on a "red flag" list, and people could possibly be carrying fake passports and want to apply for asylum in the UK - but this behaviour had not been done so in recent years. I strongly urge the head of customer care at Virgin Atlantic to retrain the entire customer service.
RouteJohannesburg to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"unpleasant and inconvenient process"

(Bangladesh)

Trip Verified | New York to London. I called customer service to inquire about fees for a piece of additional luggage and the agent told me that it would be $100 dollars from JFK to Heathrow. However, when I went to the check-in counter, I was told by the check-in clerk that I would need to pay $200 dollars in luggage fees, despite me mentioning I was told to pay $100 additionally for check-in luggage. Overall extremely unpleasant and inconvenient process - will avoid Virgin Atlantic in the future.
RouteNew York JFK to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2019

"serve too much alcohol to drunk passengers"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to London Heathrow. Flight attandants serve far too much alcohol to drunk passengers! Had to deal with neighbour who was continuously served hard liquor untill blackout. Spilt drinks on me, could barely talk so drunk, Was capable of requesting more drinks. He collapsed on me while blacking out. Could not be immediately roused so drunk. Each time I fly Virgin Atlantic in Premium economy they serve far too much alcohol to my neighbors. Have observed this before on VS flights in Premium economy. Makes the experience quite awful.
RouteLos Angeles to London Heathrow