Virgin Atlantic

"unpleasant and inconvenient process"

(Bangladesh)

Trip Verified | New York to London. I called customer service to inquire about fees for a piece of additional luggage and the agent told me that it would be $100 dollars from JFK to Heathrow. However, when I went to the check-in counter, I was told by the check-in clerk that I would need to pay $200 dollars in luggage fees, despite me mentioning I was told to pay $100 additionally for check-in luggage. Overall extremely unpleasant and inconvenient process - will avoid Virgin Atlantic in the future.
RouteNew York JFK to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2019

"serve too much alcohol to drunk passengers"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to London Heathrow. Flight attandants serve far too much alcohol to drunk passengers! Had to deal with neighbour who was continuously served hard liquor untill blackout. Spilt drinks on me, could barely talk so drunk, Was capable of requesting more drinks. He collapsed on me while blacking out. Could not be immediately roused so drunk. Each time I fly Virgin Atlantic in Premium economy they serve far too much alcohol to my neighbors. Have observed this before on VS flights in Premium economy. Makes the experience quite awful.
RouteLos Angeles to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2019

"Splendid staff and service"

Not Verified | Flew Virgin Atlantic, VS127 on 9 May and back on 29 May. Ancient B747 both flights but very clean and well maintained. Splendid staff, service and above average food. Only slight grouse was back seat entertainment was sometimes unresponsive.
RouteManchester to New York

"Overall extremely unpleasant"

Trip Verified | London to Newark. I found my one way ticket from Belgrade to Newark NJ (with stop in London) through a Google search. I called customer service (only way to buy ticket) and bought a ticket - person was pleasant, however having to call was a bit of an inconvenience as it's difficult to track what was said on phone call. The agent was quick to offer me a $200 upgrade however failed to mention that I would need to pay $100 in luggage fees on the first leg of my flight (as it is a different airline), despite me asking if I need to pay anything additionally for check in luggage. The confirmation email had baggage information attached which confirmed I wouldn't need to pay. However, at the very bottom of the lengthy email, in small writing, it mentioned I may have to pay for luggage if I'm connecting with a different airline. I don't fully understand why I would need to pay extra if I'm purchasing a ticket through virgin, especially since my baggage was going straight from Belgrade to Newark. Overall extremely unpleasant & inconvenient process - will pay extra to avoid this airline in future.
RouteLondon to Newark
Date FlownJune 2019

"feel totally ripped off"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to Orlando. Flew Premium Economy before with VA a number of years ago from London to JFK and it was a fantastic experience so decided as a treat that I would upgrade our flights. There was 4 of us travelling, all adults. Flight 71 outbound 11/5/19 The check in was somewhat cold (personality wise).  We had booked a wheelchair for my daughter as she had a number of back surgeries last year and gets very uncomfortable standing for long periods. When we mentioned it, the woman on the desk looked her up and down and said, why does she need it? There was no smiling or polite conversation, it was actually really poor. Once on the flight we had decent service with regular treats, food, drinks and the wonder wall snacks when we requested them.  Seats were comfy too, we were in 15A, 15C, 16A & 16C.  Our allocated steward was very attentive. On arrival at Orlando had to wait for quite a time for our premium baggage to appear on the turnstile.   Flight 72 inbound Again the check-in was unpleasant, our assistant was very unfriendly and totally ignored the fact that my daughter had requested assistance.  She was having a good day so we let it pass.  At the boarding gate it was very disorganised.  Our seats this time were 14d through to 14g and were not comfortable at all.  They were narrower than you'd expect.  Service was minimal, one drinks round, dinner, 1 tea or coffee round then a breakfast that consisted of half a dozen cubes of melon, 2 raspberries, an awful tasting yogurt and a sweet croissant.  I had to ask for my welcome drink, and my son was overlooked for the after dinner drink.  3 of our party did not sleep but at no time did a steward ask if there was anything they could get us.  We went through to the station and asked for some treats from the wonder wall but were told that the outbound flight had wiped them out!? On the up side, the steward gave us a crunchie from their personal stash.  Went out to station again later, this time for water.  Had to wait over half an hour to collect our bags in arrivals hall in Glasgow?  To sum up, I am totally confused why we paid the same price for our return flight and got economy service at a push?  This was supposed to be a pleasurable experience but it certainly was not.  Absolutely gutted and feel totally ripped off, what a waste of our hard earned money.  Won't make the same mistake again.
RouteGlasgow to Orlando
Date FlownMay 2019

"would travel with them again"

Not Verified | Flight crew were very helpful and professional. Food was nice with a reasonable choice. Aircraft was comfortable with sufficient leg room and good choice of films and games for all ages. We would travel with them again.
RouteGatwick to Florida
Date FlownMay 2019

"Had to pay for each bag"

Trip Verified | Boston to London. We flew as a family booked with our American Express express card. Had to pay for each bag and did not receive full mileage. Very annoyed that they advertise with American Express express under Delta and do this . We will never use them again.
RouteBoston to London

"food wasn’t the best"

Not Verified | Hong Kong to London with Virgin Atlantic. The leg space and food wasn’t the best. The exit rows in front had their seats slanted towards the rear seat making no leg room at all. The food was stale taste and no variety. Sorry for the poor review.
RouteHong Kong to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"Staff were really welcoming"

Not Verified | New York to London Heathrow. Staff were really welcoming when I boarded the A330 plus were really kind. All types of movies. The pre-select food wasn't the best or the worst either. Helped my family also. Please fly this airline
AircraftA330-200
RouteNew York to London Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2019

"Not good enough"

Not Verified | Missed third connecting flight due to poor organisation. Heathrow to Hong Kong to Sydney. Arrived with little to no sleep as the seats are cramped with no leg room or foot rests. Arrived from international flight on tarmac. We alighted the plane down steps. Two shuttle buses connected us to the airport. There was no priority for connecting flights. I had 1.5 hours but the buses, baggage and connections were all late. I was exhausted and due to disorganisation I missed my flight. There was no sympathy or apologies. I was informed I would have to wait another 8 hours in the airport until another flight. I asked where I could refresh but there was nowhere. An elderly couple were granted Virgin Lounge. I asked but was denied. A kind member overheard and invited me as her guest. I had a shower and waited out the 8 hours. Another couple knew one of the staff and were admitted. I was unwell, recovering from a broken foot and was offered entrance if I paid $65 entry fee. Honestly, I would never fly Virgin Atlantic again. 12 hours on a flight with no sleep due to cramped seating (the worst experienced on international) is not good. I had travelled 7 weeks with Virgin and at the end of my journey they could not afford me human comfort due to their lack of organisation. Their explanation was airport congestion. I was ready to collapse. Not good enough and nor did they extend equality in provision of service.
RouteHeathrow to Hong Kong