Thai Smile Airways

"staff was nice and friendly"

(Hungary)

Not Verified | Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani. The airplane looked new and was clean. The cabin staff was nice and friendly and for the fifty minutes journey they gave us drinks abd snacks, and there was some IFE screens also. No delay, no lost bags and the price was the same as low cost aielines.
RouteBangkok to Ubon Ratchathani
Date FlownJune 2019

"no issues at all"

Trip Verified | Udon Thani to Bangkok. I have flown Thai Smile numerous times on this route with no issues at all. The staff for this flight were friendly as always and did two soft drink/juice refills on a short 1 hour puddle jump to Bangkok. Toilets are clean and they serve coffee/tea unless its bumpy. Had an ice cream treat to go along- could have used one of their sandwiches for a mid afternoon flight though! Since they have competition with the other budget carriers, the price is reasonable. Would gladly take them anytime as they fly into the main airport instead of Don Muang.
RouteUdon Thani to Bangkok
Date FlownMay 2019

"a pleasant trip each way"

Trip Verified | We have been flying the Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani route with Thai Smile Airways since 2013. Before that, the route was operated by Thai Airways, who we flew the route with from 2000 to 2012. These days Thai Smile must compete with 3 other local budget carriers. Competition is fierce. Despite that, we had a pleasant trip each way. Journey time is only 1:10, with time enough to serve drinks and a light snack. No hot beverages were on offer. Cabin crew were bright, young, well presented and friendly. Our sole complaint is the temperature of the plane when on the ground at UBP. The cabin was too hot when we boarded the UBP-BKK flight. It soon cooled down once the engines started. Otherwise, great service. Great flight. Good price.
RouteBangkok to Ubon Ratchathani
Date FlownApril 2019

"Thai Smile is great choice"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I have been flying with Thai Smile for a long time and nothing changed this time. We had a departure time change but I still enjoyed it. Great efficient service, flexible and friendly staff. if you are looking for reliable short haul service, Thai Smile is great choice. Maybe the sandwiches could be a bit bigger.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"unpleasant late night flight"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Jaipur. Extremely unpleasant late night flight. Delayed about half an hour pushing back from the gate in BKK. Announcement was made that it was due to loading a “cargo item” and claimed the delay would only be ten minutes. Food looked pretty unappealing so I did not accept it. Most of the flight attendants were pleasant, except for one who was quite brusque, which is pretty uncharacteristic for a Thai airline. The seat cushions were not particularly comfortable, and even though I got an emergency exit row seat (I’m 190 cm tall and always try to get an exit row seat), there was no appreciable difference in legroom compared with a regular airline seat. Quite uncomfortable after a few hours. The absolute worst part about this flight, though, was the cabin temperature! Far too hot! I brought this to the attention of the flight attendants who promised to do something, but the heat remained oppressively high throughout the entire flight. Unable to sleep at all, ended up just spending the four-hour flight sweating in my cramped, uncomfortable Thai Smile prison. An extremely unpleasant experience. Arrived in Jaipur around 2:30 AM feeling absolutely awful. Thank you, Thai Smile! (I’d flown this same route with Thai Smile several weeks earlier, and the cabin temperature was much more reasonable.) I will go out of my way to avoid this airline in the future. Nok Air and Bangkok Airways are far superior choices if they’re available.
RouteBangkok to Jaipur
Date FlownMarch 2019

"you can't earn any miles"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Chiang Rai. Thai Smile started as a budget offshoot of Thai Air, but has become a mess. Staff seem angry (unusual in Thailand), service was poor, food and drinks non-existent. Worst of all, you often do not have much choice but to fly them. And for the terrible experience, you can't earn any miles. Never, ever again.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Rai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"attendants were very friendly"

Trip Verified | Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok. Booked this flight a few months in advance, but was about a month in advance rescheduled to a later time (by about 90 minutes later). While I would have liked to arrive earlier on the time I booked, it had fortunately no consequences for me. The flight attendants were very friendly, however the legroom provided with Thai Smile is significantly less than LCC carriers like AirAsia & Nok Air on this leg. A complimentary snack was provided too and was quite tasty. Unfortunately due to an international departure of our specific plane, we had to deboard the jetbridge via stairs to a bus to be shipped to the domestic terminal which was rather a long ride. Luggage took another good twenty minutes too to arrive.
RouteUbon Ratchathani to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2018

"didn’t like the food on board"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Generally, I prefer to fly on Thai Airways within Thailand, this is due to the fact that they use larger aircraft (widebodies) even on domestic routes. I flew Thai Airways up to Chiang Mai, but due to schedule requirements I needed the first flight to Bangkok so I chose Thai Smile who are fully owned by Thai Airways, but operated with a different style. At check in, there was no exact sign showing where to check in if you’re star alliance gold, but they still checked me in using the business class counter, and very kindly gave me a full row to myself. The lounge opens at 5 am and the flight departs at 6:15. I arrived at 4:50am and was told to wait near the reception (inside the lounge) by a janitor and a receptionist arrived and took my gold card and boarding pass. Do note that only Thai Airways’ own elites have lounge access, as Thai Smile is a Star Alliance Affiliate, not full member. I was first to board the aircraft after people needing wheelchairs, and was directed to my seat. The flight was 80% full although as promised they gave me an entire row. The seat itself is identical to BA on their short haul fleet, except for the fact that the backrest is fabric and not leather. It’s comfortable enough and much better than most slimline seats. Service on this flight consisted of something very weird, one sandwich was full of meat and no vegetables, whereas the other one was mixed veg with mayonnaise. I didn’t like the food on board, but I already ate in the lounge. I definitely feel sorry for the 120+ other passengers on the flight. They do come around with a drinks cart, and I asked for Coke Zero and they gave me a can, whereas they normally just pour it from a large bottle. One thing Thai Smile does well is the packaging in which the food comes in, it’s very chic and practical after the flight, appealing to millennials. I find that the flight attendants on Thai Smile are in the beginning of their careers and the airline itself is very age-selective, so the crew may not be as experienced as Thai Airways or other companies. Nevertheless they will absolutely serve you with a “Thai Smile” pun intended. With a smooth arrival and an actual gate (normally they use air stairs) it was gate to kerb in 10 minutes including a bathroom break. Overall, Thai smile works as an airline, and their route network is quite large regionally and I think they are comparable to airlines like Silkair or JetBlue in the US. I would still avoid them unless Thai airways doesnt fly to the particular destination I need to get to.
AircraftA320 Sharklets
RouteChiang Mai to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Absolutely appalling service"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Shanghai via Bangkok. Absolutely appalling service. Flight way delayed for somewhat reason and I had to miss my connecting. Not only did Thai didn’t want to put me on another available flight, they forced me to accept a midnight flight and wait for 12 hours for it. I was put in what I believe to be a motel with dripping water sound, cockroaches and disgusting sheets. After 2 hours I asked to be sent back to the airport. Thai Smile did not offer to provide any form of compensation for their mistakes and just simply force you to take whatever they think it’s sufficient.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Shanghai via Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Mumbai. One of the worst customer service encountered. I left a small baggage onboard the flight and I called to ask if I could get the baggage from the airport I arrived in. They said yes and I went there to collect it and it was not there. Umpteen calls and they told me that it was now in Bangkok Airport. I contact them to get more information on it and up till now I still cant get my baggage. I called contact centre and they refer me to customer service, who hung up on me when I proposed that someone or another manager could help out in resolving this issue.
RouteBangkok to Mumbai