TAP Portugal

"pay extra and go non stop"

Not Verified | Miami to Manchester via Lisbon. We arrived in Miami to find out we had to pay over 120 dollars each to check in one piece of luggage. Maybe this was my fault because when I was on the website it showed one free and I assumed this was the check in piece. I may have misunderstood but it surely wasn't clear. To have to pay that much for one piece of luggage is outrageous. I was then told it was because of the ticket I booked. I asked him how I would know next time and he said some of the 3rd party sites don't disclose this. Ok great start. So then the flight in Miami was delayed because of weather. When we got to Lisbon we missed our connection flight to Manchester. I get it things happen but this was the second negative. My husband was going to see his mother in the UK that he hadn't seen in 6 years and we were supposed to arrive in Manchester at 10am and ended up arriving after 5pm and still had a 2.5 hour drive. Long story short we ended up having to spend the entire day at the Lisbon airport. The connection flight was supposed to leave at 6.30 am or so and ended up leaving after 3pm. We were given lunch vouchers for 8 or so Euros. We were exhausted and had to sit in the waiting area the entire day. The flight from Miami to Lisbon was tight. We are both tall so had our knees smashed into the back seat. The way back was a much better plane with more leg room and no delays, but the way over taught me to just pay extra and go non stop rather then try and save money we ended up paying for with luggage both ways and precious time. So no won't do that again. Also when I got home and saw an email from them to take a survey, I clicked on it only to show it expired. That is why I found another way to voice this. I would have gone thru them if they gave you more then a few days to do the survey.
RouteMiami to Manchester via Lisbon

"Absolutely dreadful experience"

Not Verified | Absolutely dreadful experience to which I will not use them again. Left London on the 1/6/19 to Lisbon, waited in departures only to find that the flight was delayed for an hour. This gave no time at all to make our connecting flight in Lisbon to Funchal. When I spoke to the ticket agent at the terminal they said it might be a possibility that you won't connect in Lisbon, but have to take it up with them when you arrive. Arrived in Lisbon missed the flight, went to transfer desk no help what so ever rude not pleasant at all. Asked if they will accommodate us in a hotel until the morning, they stated it won't be possible as we don't have hotel accommodation available. Only snack voucher and new boarding card provided. Staff were not helpful but very quick to deviate off the subject and say we are closing speak to the staff in the morning. I used to fly TAP all the time and they were good then. Now well forget it, it's not worth the stars they been given at all. Also another good old trick TAP uses they always blame the weather when we know that the weather has nothing to do with there bad service. Courtesy goes along away to value a customer clearly non was shown that day. Lastly I flown a lot with other European airlines for less hours and the inflight food given was far superior then TAP, airlines like Swiss and Lufthansa are the best in my eyes.
AircraftA321 / A320
RouteLondon Heathrow to Funchal via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"Truly a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Marrakech to Hamburg via Lisbon. Worst service ever! After boarding on time for flight 1453 to Lisbon, we were sitting in the plane for one hour. After some time I was wondering why we are still not flying... then the plane pulled out towards the runway but we had to stop again and then we had to get off the plane due to technical problems. back at the Terminal no one told us where to go nor what is going to happen. Finally we found out that the flight is suppose to leave from another gate so we went there but still no one gave us any Information.. so around 150 people randomly went to the personal sitting at the gate asking for a status and connection...which was a mess as they got stressed and all the passengers were stressed and annoyed and it was really hot after 5 Hours and a few lies from the Personal about no other flights or seats being available and not being provided with food or drinks, we were transferred to the next and last flight to Lisbon with a few other pax. The plane had at least 10 empty seats. Of course we missed the connecting flight to Hamburg. in Lisbon we were told that they didn’t have a room from their contingent of hotels but I said that I am not leaving without a hotel as everything was totally booked out or expensive. So they ended up finding a room for us, they also told us we would get on a flight at 12.10 the next day to HAM via FRA. Another couple who also had to go to ham was miraculously able to get transferred to the flight at 8am on Sunday. So we tried to check in on Sunday and again we had problems. Our reservation was cancelled so they put us on a flight at 6pm to HAM. This made us travelling for more 30 hours and a delay of 24hours at our final destination. We have experienced cancellation and delays in the past but never was I treated so badly. In Hamburg we then found out that our luggage got lost, even though we always received confirmation that the luggage was put on the flight they booked for us. Truly a nightmare
RouteMarrakech to Hamburg via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"The flight was on time"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Porto. Great flight with TAP Portugal from Barcelona to Porto. The flight was on time with early arrival. Being the last flight of the day (11pm) and a Tuesday the plane wasn't full.
RouteBarcelona to Porto
Date FlownMay 2019

"light snack was provided"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Excellent flight with on-time departure and arrival, and the captain spoke to passengers during the middle of the flight. Only a light snack was provided (and no drinks) but it seems reasonable given short duration of the flight (1 hour) . I received a text message the day before the flight saying I could check in my hand luggage for free, and decided to do so. There should be USB ports in every seat and not just for the higher economy fares.
RouteLisbon to Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"rude and disrespectful"

Trip Verified | My sister and I booked our tickets from JFK to Athens via Lisbon back in December of 2018. After our first couple of attempts to complete the purchase with TAP Air, we were denied the flight, as our card did not go through. Moments later, we received a call from TAP Air asking if they could help us finish our booking, and so we did, and I regret it now. Our flight ended up being a connecting flight with a 14 hour layover in Lisbon between our flights from JFK and ATH. Trying to get on our second connecting flight from Lisbon to ATH was a disaster. Our flights were canceled two hours before we flew out and neither airline would help fix it but rather they kept sending us back and forth between airlines, as they continually blamed it on each other, before TAP finally gave us a new flight, only for an entire day later. We said no, as we had other flights we had to catch the next day, and had to put up a stink before they finally rebooked us for our original flight. They were extremely rude and disrespectful during the entire process, creating a very unprofessional reputation. I will never book through either airline again.
RouteNew York to Athens via Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2019

"swapped to older business class"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Lisbon. Our aircraft on 13th May was swapped to one with their older business class. As a result my wife's and mine seats got separated. Ground crew was able to shift seats around so that at the end we were seated together. Boarding civilized, flight left and arrived on time. Even old business class angled lie flat seats allowed for good night sleep. Service on the ground and in the air was absolutely flawless. What distinguished this flight was its superb crew.
AircraftA330-200
RouteToronto to Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2019

"clear immigration and board on time"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Toronto via Lisbon. Due to late incoming flight our plane left Berlin late allowing only for a 30 minute transfer time in Lisbon. Ground crew in Lisbon waited for us with instructions as to how reach plane in Lisbon on time, crew on Berlin flight gave us valuable connecting information. As we had experienced on our incoming flight - ground crew and in flight crew of TAP great. Attentive without being overburdening, helpful, friendly. What amazed us most was the fact that within the short 30 minute transfer time - even though the flight from Lisbon to Toronto left on time - we not only managed to clear immigration and board on time, even our checked bags made it onto the flight.
AircraftA320 / A330-200
RouteBerlin to Toronto via Lisbon

"Not happy with TAP"

Not Verified | Paris to San Francisco via Lisbon. Very high baggage fees and No hotel voucher for an all night 12 hour layover! Not happy with TAP. The bag fee for 1 checked 20 kg.bag was 80 USDon an International flight. I have never paid such a huge bag fee for same this bag on any International or Domestic flight. Also,most airlines provide a hotel room and meal voucher if the airline has more than an 8 hour layover (it was a 12 hour,all night layover in Lisbon). TAP does not provide either
RouteParis to San Francisco via Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2019

"recommend the new business class"

Trip Verified | I can recommend the new business class in the new A330NEO. Staff seemed to be motivated. The catering out of Lisbon was fantastic (Welcome drink with nuts, Appetizer, Salat/Soup, Main meal, Dessert, Chocolat, quick snack prior to land). I cannot understand other customer's complaints about TAP staff. I found most of the flight attendants (senior on longhaul) are efficient. Great value for money due to relative low prices they ask for business class.
AircraftA330NEO