TAP Portugal

"Still fighting to get my money back"

Trip Verified | Purchased the tickets December 2019. Airline now requires a Covid-19 test with the results not older than 72 hours. I called dozens of places and no test results are available with less than 8 days and even that, is not a guarantee. So due to the current situation I am unable to provide these tests at the point of boarding, still the company does not refund the money and only gives me 6 months to postpone the trip, which are not enough for me to reschedule. I called all available contact numbers in the net, and none answer the phone. Extremely disappointed. Can't believe a company of this size would work like this. Still fighting to get my money back.
RouteBoston to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2019

"there is no social distancing"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | When we had to book the flights their website was not working properly because it was telling us that the booking was confirmed but no confirmation email was sent nor money was taken from our card. When we tried to call them it would take hours for them to answer and the hang up right away. When we finally made it to book the tickets when the server got back we received a mail 4 days before the flight that we were supposed to present a negative Covid-19 test that was taken in the 72 hours prior the flight (almost impossible to do). So it made our pre flight situation horrible, only for us to get to the airport and hear one of the desk guys telling a man in line next to us "your test was taken more than 72 hours ago so it shouldn't be ok but you gonna be fine don't worry they might just make you do another test when you land eventually". We finally make it on the Aircraft where there is no social distancing. So my girlfriend and I decide to go sit in the back where there were 7 rows empty and there was one of the steward standing there that told us it was fine and started chatting with us. Literally a minute later the other steward comes towards us and starts yelling at the other guy asking him why we were sitting there in the back, and then turns to me and tells me that we have to move forward. When I tell him that that sounded pretty weird because there is always people sitting around the plane and that we weren't feeling comfortable with the situation due to cover-19 he told me "if you keep acting like this I am gonna go call the captain and you can go do your social distancing outside of the aircraft".
RouteNewark to Milan via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2020

"the worst customer service"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I booked a flight with TAP Air in mid-June, with departure date on July 9th from NYC. I booked it to finally be able to fly back to my home country, Italy, after being stranded in the US due to travelling restrictions for about 3 months. On July 6th, only 3 days before departure, TAP Air has a new rule and sends an email saying that those who do not have proof of a negative COVID-19 test, administered in the prior 72-hours, will not be allowed to board. As you can imagine, asking someone in New York not only to get a test so quickly, but also to have the results in time - with lab facilities experiencing extreme delays - is ridiculous. On the day of my flight, I am of course not allowed to board and am given zero empathy from the company, they just don't care that they gave me three days to get a test result in the one city in the United States that has been hit the hardest. I then have to spend the next day on the phone, as the wait time for their customer service is roughly 40mins to 1 hour, only to be told I can change my plane ticket by paying 300$ for the change of ticket. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They put in place a rule after I bought my ticket, enforced it with no comprehension or logic behind it - they said they are aware of testing limitations in nyc but that's the rule regardless - and I was forced to pay a massive surcharge on top of the very expensive tickets I had purchased a month prior. I travel, or used to travel, quite frequently and this is by far the worse airline I have ever come across. Please do not book with them.
RouteNew York to Rome via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2020

"don't care about their customer"

Not Verified | I am extremely dissatisfied with the way TAP Portugal handled my refunds for cancelled flights. I contacted this airlines multiple times, submitted requests and complaints regarding my cancelled return flight from Boston to Madrid. It's not only very difficult to connect with them, but even after a long wait on the phone, and finally chatting with the customer service representative (who promised to send my refund in a month) It's two months and I still don't have my refund. They don't explain, don't reply, and don't care about their customer. Not sure if I want to fly with TAP AirPortugal in the future.
RouteBoston to Madrid via Lisbon
Date FlownApril 2020

"flight was almost empty"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Ponta Delgada to Lisbon. The flight was almost empty so I was able to rest with the help of the two following chairs. Ended sleeping almost all flight. The young cabin crew as usual are interactive and nice. Nothing served onboard except for tea, coffee or water.
AircraftA320neo
RoutePonta Delgada to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2020

"helpful with rebooking us"

Trip Verified | Alright, we booked before Covid-19, initial flights got cancelled, it was a bit of a hassle to get new flights but whenever we spoke to a representative things were fixed. There are some things that they could have done better, like email us that our flights were cancelled in the first place. Sure, but when we went to rebook our flights we called their headquarter phone number (which can improve a little also) and they were very helpful with rebooking us to new flights. Seriously I understand that many holidays and weddingtrips have been canceled but no-way you can take it out on the airline. They are to blame for the booking system (which probably dates from 1980) and they could have emailed us about the cancellation of our initial flights. But did we just forget that there is a pandemic going on? They're doing their best, they rebooked our flights and they saved our holiday. So not going to complain.
RouteAmsterdam to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2020

"the worst I’ve ever experienced"

Trip Verified | To be honest, I’ve never flown with TAP Air Portugal because my flight with them was canceled due to COVID, but I have spent over 3 hours on the phone/on hold with them so far, which roughly translates to half of a trans-Atlantic flight, I suppose. And I feel that this time we’ve spent together is enough to justify this negative review. The long and short of it is, when I bought my tickets with TAP Air Portugal, I opted to pay an extra ~$100 for a refundable flight, and—despite that, and after waiting a month and a half—I still have not received my money back from them. Even if you purchase a cancellable flight (again, for more money), canceling through the website only grants you a flight voucher (good for one year only). In order to request a cash refund, you need to call them (nowhere was this mentioned when I bought my ticket, by the way; I had to call them to figure out this nugget of information). The phone number listed for the airline in many places is no longer in service; there’s a different number you need to call. Each phone call requires 30-60 minutes of hold time. I’ve been randomly disconnected from these phone calls multiple times. Most damning, each time I call, I’ve been told contradictory information. When I called on May 2nd to cancel my flight and ask for a refund, I was told that my request was submitted. Awesome. When I called back on May 18th, wondering why I hadn’t received it yet, I was told (for the first time) that I should wait a month to expect my refund, so I would have it by June 2nd. Then, when I called after June 2nd, again wondering where my refund was, the rep I spoke to tried to inform me that I hadn’t requested the refund until the 18th (even though the previous rep had confirmed that I requested said refund on the 2nd). This new rep also told me that I should wait a month to a month and a half beyond May 18th for my refund. The one consistent across all the reps I’ve talked to is that they won’t lift a finger to provide me any extra information. I’ve requested email messages to confirm what we’ve discussed. I’ve requested reps’ extensions in case I get disconnected (see above). Nothing. Whenever I hang up with a rep, I have to rely on their word that the information they've provided me is accurate. And at this point, I have little faith in that. In short, their customer service is some of the worst I’ve ever experienced. I understand that COVID is probably making things difficult for them to provide refunds promptly. However, I would be much more understanding if the company were open and transparent with me, instead of using misinformation as a delay tactic. I also believe that there are probably a lot of individuals out there that need the value of their flight refund much more than TAP Air Portugal right now. I’d definitely recommend steering away from TAP Air Portugal if you might need to cancel or rebook.
RouteWashington to Marseilles via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2020

"uncharming and aggressively ironic"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Funchal to Lisbon. TAP now offers a semi-low cost service, offering tea and coffee and you buy a sandwich by 6 euros if you like being robbed. However they still sell their products with catering included. Cabin crew is lucklustre, uninspired, uncharming and aggressively ironic. The life jacked wasn't beneath my seat but on front of it. For 260 eur one way domestic route of one hour 20 minutes it's a sad service. Plane could be cleaner but I think they will use more the Embraer 190 to Funchal. Is excellent for the route and airport. Great legroom. Have in attention God forbid you have to contact them. They dissuade your attempts.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteFunchal to Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2020

"the airline is unresponsive"

Trip Verified | After arrival in Cabo Verde our luggage was missing. No representative of the airline was present and I was never contacted by one, too. We were not provided any information about: (i) delivery date of the luggage; (ii) contact information; and (iii) refund options. We had to buy the most necessary items (clothes, etc.) on our own expense. On the return flight I tried to clarify the situation in Lisboa. After waiting 40 minutes in a cue, a highly unfriendly TAP representative informed me that all refund claims need to be made online. Without further information provided by the representative I finally found the necessary information online. After more than 3 months and repeated phone calls (average waiting period about 30 minutes) the status is still pending and the airline is unresponsive.
RouteZurich to Sal Island (Cabo Verde) via Lisboa
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"managed to deceive me"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Today I went to the TAP website to find out about my trip back to Brazil, I was surprised because the company canceled my flight and did not warn me. I contacted them via skype, as I currently live in Dublin, the first agent after 40 minutes attended me, super attentive but could not solve my situation, suggested that I buy a new flight from Dublin to Lisbon because this was the route canceled. I went on the website to look for and I didn't find flight 872 that left Dublin. I called the company again, the 3 agents disconnected the Skype call in the middle of the conversation. On the fourth attempt the very kind agent gave me a solution, we can change the date, ok, I will transfer it to the responsible sector. A man came to me whose name I don't remember, first he, according to him, did a search on the company's system, and informed me that it was more viable for me to get a ticket voucher and buy a new ticket in cash, I told him that I had no interest in the voucher, as I would lose one of the connections that I would make from São Paulo to my city Florianópolis. When I informed him that I would not use the voucher and would like a free solution, as I had already lost the right to use the connection from São Paulo to my city, he found a solution, I can send him to São Paulo July 3rd, great I accept, he removed my two checked bags that I paid for, it was a scam that the Tap company managed to deceive me bilaterally, I do not accept these conditions I demand that my luggage return to my boarding pass.
RouteDublin to Sao Paulo via Lisbon