TAP Portugal

“No welcome drinks or snacks offered”

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | 8 hours flight across the Atlantic on a narrow body flying in business class. No welcome drinks or snacks offered, there is a note on the paper menu, saying that if you want a drink, you should ask the cabin crew. After takeoff we got served a full meal of acceptable quality, and then the cabin crew asked to close the blinds, even though it was 14:00, to allow the passengers to sleep, and only came back 1:30 before landing for a light snack, of a unimpressive quality. The seat was all right and the inflight entertainment also acceptable.
AircraftA321Neo
RouteLisbon to Newark
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"worst airline I have ever booked"

Trip Verified | This airline is the worst airline I have ever booked. A shame really because the flight itself was great. The problem was the booking. They didn't give me the flight I booked (I went through customer service chat). Once I noticed I wrote an email, a website inquiry and an instagram message yet they wanted to charge me $1200 to change the flight to what I had booked. Massive mistake on their side. On the way back they canceled my flight and then put me on a flight on Friday, only to find out they screwed up again and put it on a Thursday. They then claimed I missed my flight when I had screenshots of all communications. They deleted the messages on the chat but I have copies. I will be pursing this airline to the highest extent. They wasted a whole day of me calling, chatting, texting. Do not fly with them.
RouteMiami to Munich via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2024

“This was most infuriating”

Trip Verified | I paid good money for an economy plus (a few centimetres extra) seat because of a previous injury. However, the seat did not extend all the way back, thus not getting the extra space on a night flight. (8.30 hours) the steward said there was a seat in economy. Because I was travelling with my partner this did not sound like a solution but more like downgrade. The steward said to contact the customer service for a refund after the flight. I did this in hope to get a refund or compensation. I explained the whole situation and the response of Anna Pflieger was like she wasn't even reading the mail but just typing (copy/paste) standarized sentences and not answering any of my questions. This was most infuriating. Example: Thank you for contacting TAP Air Portugal. We are sorry for the situation you reported. Please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you consider it relevant. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon. Yours sincerely, TFCP - Anna Pflieger Never flying TAP Portugal ever again.
RouteBrasil to Amsterdam via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"very disappointing and frustrating"

Not Verified | Very poor customer service and complaint dept is also unresponsive. We had to cancel within 24 hours after booking, I contacted the customer to understand the refund procedure and I was told they would refund 100%. However, I only received 10% of the payment. I contacted them again, and they further explained that I should have chosen to receive it via voucher. Since then I have trying to contact them for 2 weeks and the customer service asked me to raise another and another complaint, but they never reply. This is very disappointing and frustrating.
RouteSao Paulo to London via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"expensive ticket for a low cost service"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | I paid around 1450 Euros for a return ticket from Vienna to Sao Paulo, total of 4 sectors. The shorter sectors, between Lisbon and Vienna, nothing was served. Just water was "free". The seats were very bad with no possibility to recline not even for 5°. During the long haul sectors, the service was existing but very poor. Poor selection of beverages and the crew more concerned about reading books than actually doing their job. Cabin was extremely cold and the entertainment system was working partially ... sometimes on and off. It was a very expensive ticket for a low cost service.
AircraftA330 / A320
RouteVienna to Sao Paulo via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"not an airline I will consider"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | The problem here was with booking. I was charged $250 for one normal checked bag each for my wife and I, only to find that they were charging me that just for one direction, and that that I would need to pay again for the return flight, despite that the web page said it was 'from Boston to Boston'. The US has a 24 hour rule that allows cancellation with no penalties of any flight reservation within 24 hours. After failed attempts to cancel on the Web and at least 10 phone disconnects, I was able to get an email that I requested a cancellation. They did not notify me that the flight was actually cancelled, so I checked the status of my cancellation today and it said a refund had been issued, but failed to say that they were keeping $250 (not legal in the US). The only way for me to know this to search my credit card activity on the Web. Hopefully my filing a dispute with my credit card will get me the full refund. Definitely not an airline I will consider for the future.
RouteBoston to Milan via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever. I saw the yelling at passengers for taking pictures in the cabin and removing someone else’s blanket from their over their head so that they would pay attention. In my case I was coerced into paying for my carry on which met the weight and size requirement. It even went in the cabin with me. Then when you file a complaint they don’t have call center so no one can take your call. All they say is that it can take months for someone to handle your case. I will never fly with them again. Then my entertainment center wasn’t working properly. When I told flight attendant, she hit it and kept going. It then stopped working again.
RouteLisbon to Miami
Date FlownDecember 2023

"a very uncomfortable situation"

Trip Verified | In their brand new A339, TAP allocated 2 toilets to Business Class passengers. One in the front part of the cabin, one in the back, between Economy and Business (there is however a second one in the back, but it is for ECO passengers). Both toilets occupancy (green or red) are on display. This should theoretically be enough. However on this specific flight we faced a very uncomfortable situation: no toilet. For one reason only: chief purse decided 1to not prevent Economy pax to access Business class backwards toilet (which is usually done stretching a tape) . This resulted in long Economy pax queuing in the center galley. To limit access to front toilet, and galley, as a private zone for her and crew, even when green light was on. All pax started to comment, even with crew, who agreed with us, but do to staff hierarchy confessed their inability to solve.
RouteSan Salvador to Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2023

"I was pleased with the level of service"

Trip Verified | My family and I were traveling on TAP from Amsterdam to JFK, with a transfer in Lisbon. Our flight was delayed on tarmac for takeoff from Amsterdam. By the time we landed in Lisbon there was 20 minutes until our connection. I knew we would never make it because in Lisbon there is a chance you have to take a transfer bus to your connecting gate (which is fine in most circumstances but is tough with a tight connection). But when we exited the stairs from the plane there was man waiting for us with a JFK sign and he whisked us off to a building where there were staff waiting to direct us through passport control. And then after we went through there were more TAP staff directing us back to the man with the van who drove us to the tarmac where our plane was still waiting for us. Not only was that level of our bags made it onto the flight to go home with us. To say I was pleased with the level of service TAP provided is an understatement. I would eagerly fly with them again and would encourage others to do the same.
RouteAmsterdam to New York JFK via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"This airline was very good"

Not Verified | From the moment we checked in at Heathrow to the moment we got back a week later it was flawless. Perfect service, food, timings no lost luggage which we put on at Heathrow and did not have to collect it again until the final destination. The aircraft were modern and well equipped. My only complaint is on the A320 for the short flight, the leg room was poor but I guess you get what you pay for. My advice is when you fly with TAP like any other airline make sure you read the baggage rules, they are straightforward and simple but may differ from other airlines. The hassle I saw other customers having was because they had got it wrong and were trying to blame TAP and the customers were being unnecessarily rude! This airline was very good.
AircraftA321 neo / A320 neo