TAP Portugal

"Amazing service, crew and food2

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Dusseldorf. Amazing service, crew and food. Very personal service, clean aircraft and the food were amazing for a 2.5-hour flight. Could not have wished for anything more. It was a really cheap flight and competitors like KLM or LH were 4x the price and TAPs service was comparable if not better!
RouteLisbon to Dusseldorf

"Extremely rude staff"

Not Verified | Lisbon to London. Extremely rude staff who demanded we check our hand luggage in. We deliberately booked not to check our luggage due to time constraints but were forced to check it in despite it meeting the bag requirements. This delayed us - the woman on duty was extremely rude - the fact that the flight was overbooked was the fault of the airline but she made it seem it was our fault and we were penalised. Another told us that our hand luggage would be given priority and therefore offloaded first. This was not true. The overhead compartments had room to accommodate more carry-ons. This was handled extremely badly and those of us who were delayed (the flight was late departing by about 1 hr, too). If the airline has made a mistake and overbooked, we should not have to be rudely bullied into checking in our luggage. Instead of persuading us or giving us an incentive, we were giving marching orders rudely rather than treated like passengers.
RouteLisbon to London

"Horrendous service"

Not Verified | Newark to Accra via Lisbon. Horrendous service with this airline. Paid $2,500 for 2 intercontinental round trip tickets from New Jersey To Accra. A day before the flight they let us know that no checked bags are included! Who does that? We were told it would be $92 per checked bag each way so a for 2 bags for 2 passengers that would $736 extra. But as if that wasn't bad enough when we actually went to check in online 24 hours before the flight the price had changed to $120 per bag each way. Which is an extra $1,000 for two checked bags when every other airline gives 2 free checked bags. In addition, all the people I spoke to on their customer service line were exceptionally rude and condescending. I've never received such terrible service.
RouteNewark to Accra via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2019

"On board service was efficient"

(Myanmar)

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Rome via Lisbon. From check-in to luggage delivery, everything went smoothly. Luggage came out very fast in Rome and virtually I walked from the gate to the carousel and waited <5 mins and I was able to walk out of the airport. JFK-LIS sector: Only downside is that there is no lounge at JFK. On board service was efficient. Dinner service began right after airborne. Food was tasty and pasteis de nata was served as dessert, which was a nice Portuguese touch. By the time the first in-flight movie was done, the dinner table was cleared as well. Was able to sleep a solid 3 hours on lie-flat seat which was comfortable. Amenity kits was sufficient if not fancy. The morning breakfast service was a light meal instead of full breakfast and which was sufficient as had dinner a little over 3 hours ago. LIS-FCO sector: It was delayed a little over an hour which were not communicated until close the actual boarding time. Nice snack was served on board. All in all it was a nice journey.
RouteNew York JFK to Rome via Lisbon

"horrendous customer service"

(Brazil)

Not Verified | Alicante to Amsterdam via Lisbon. Absolutely horrendous customer service and website! I've flown TAP multiple times in the past. I have no issues with the flights, the food or any of these other variables. Flights have generally run normally as other airlines. However, every time I get into a small issue, I can never fix it. Most recently I attempted (am still attempting) to buy a ticket and instead of saying my card was declined and telling me to try again, the website said "Booking confirmed, card did not work, call this number to pay". Stupid me decided to call instead of scrapping that reservation and doing another one. It's been 4 days on the phone and I still haven't managed to pay for this reservation. I've tried cards (over the phone - which I should not have done!!!) and most recently was told I could pay via invoice. I was promised to receive an invoice 2 days ago which still hasn't come. When I call Customer Service, I select "Payments" but always end up in "General Assistance" which cannot process my payments and thus have to redirect me to payments, which usually means hours on the phone. Also, they always take 5-10 minutes to find my reservation, which for some reason, I can find online in a few seconds. But why didn't you just scrap this reservation and buy a new one? Well, of course, since I entered the black hole, prices have gone up significantly, and I am not willing to pay the current price for the trip. And yes, I'm on the phone as I write this.
RouteAlicante to Amsterdam via Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2019

"worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Accra via Lisbon. This is the worst airline ever. I booked for my 75yr old mum who asked for a wheel chair because she couldn't walk at the airport and this horrible airline was insisting that she walks because she did not arrange for wheelchair. Secondly, I booked through a 3rd party because of bad prior experience with TAP Portugal and my mum was stranded at the airport because TAP Portugal claimed she did not book after I had confirmed booking with TAP Portugal 2 times prior her travel date.
RouteGatwick to Accra via Lisbon

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | 11.15hrs flight from Faro to Lisbon (45mins), flight cancelled by airline 45 mins before departure, no one from TAP at the gate to give advice, 2 staff from “ GroundForce” handling agents then had to deal with 165 passengers, many with connections from Lisbon onwards. TAP call centre still says flight is operational just delayed while TAP online says cancelled, passengers rebooked one by one on alternative flights 2 and 6 hours later, 2 hour process to rebook and a further 30 mins to get vouchers for food (Euro 24). Handling agents did the best they could but no TAP representative at the gate to face the music, terrible customer service. To note, many budget airlines service Faro, all seemed to be on time and have airline reps at the gate. TAP, if you want to play in the big league and boast about all your new connections to the USA it is time to lift your game. Yes, flights get delayed but don’t send 3rd party reps to do your dirty work, it has taken 8 hours from check in for a 40 min flight.
RouteFaro to Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"do not expect compensation"

Trip Verified | Faro to Zurich via Lisbon. My flight from Faro to Lisbon on 4th December 2018 was delayed. In consequence, I missed my flight on the same day from Lisbon to Geneva on the same day and had to stay in Lisbon until the 5th of December. I missed a full day of work and had other costs resulting from this delay. On receiving my baggage on the 5th of December in Geneva I noticed that my bag was torn open. Since this incidence 8 months I have sent multiple complaints by email, whereby I attached all the necessary documents and pictures. In addition I have called at least 5 times to inquire about the status of my complaint. Each time I was asked to be patient. My patience has run out.I have encountered many problems in relation to flying but never filed a complaint. I have been consistently ignored by TAP for the last 8 months in a case which is absolutely clear. If you fly TAP do not expect any kind of compensation if something does not go well.
RouteFaro to Zurich via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2018

"staff at gate very unpleasant"

Trip Verified | Lisbon to London. This is my 4th flight and the last - thank god. Both times at Lisbon airport, the staff at the gate are very unpleasant to deal with. Just now I was waiting, the check in pressure me to check my hand luggage. Even though I told them that this is not the first time. Avoid
RouteLisbon to London

"pretty shabby experience"

Not Verified | London to Lisbon. A330 doing a short euro routing in business class and the seats were fine for a 2hr hop to Lisbon but I'd not want to do a long haul overnight flight, seats were way too narrow for me. No entertainment on screens at all, not even route map, crew told me that TAP are not allowed to have any IFE on European routes? Major problem was booking economy flights (not cheap) then purchasing specific seats, purchasing baggage and then bidding for a business class upgrade on the TAP website. Bids both outbound and inbound were accepted but whereas TAP provide for free seat reservations and baggage in Executive Class, they refused to give me a refund for either seats or baggage after my upgrade bids were accepted - they said I could transfer my seat reservation fees to another TAP flight within 12 months. TAP relied on rather vague general terms and conditions, stating that the fare rules of the class you purchased apply even in the event of an upgrade, to refuse a refund. Pretty poor since those T&C's generally relate to itinerary changes/cancellations/pax changes etc. Seems TAP are happy to accept lots of paid add ons to a basic fare and then refuse to accept that the bid for a successful upgrade should cancel all of this out and a refund given. I'm not a frequent flyer with TAP and will be even less frequent after this pretty shabby experience. Once bitten, twice shy, I'd never book seats or baggage again if I was going to bid for Executive Class, but probably not on this route and I'm unlikely to want to fly with them long haul. Word of caution, TAP use the Star Alliance Lounge in LHR - lovely. The TAP lounge in Lisbon is nice, great food etc but is super crowded mid afternoon and the views of the apron are not as good as the ANA lounge next door.
RouteLondon to Lisbon