TAP Portugal

"shambolic on the ground"

Trip Verified | London to Faro via Lisbon. TAP are pretty good in the air but shambolic on the ground. All four flights were relatively punctual on clean, modern aircraft. The crews were friendly and efficient, and provided a free snack and drink on the longer sectors. However TAP brought our connecting flight to Faro forward by an hour and didn't tell us. We only discovered when inputting flight details into the car hire booking three weeks ahead of departure. When we contacted TAP their attitude was: 'Whoops, didn't we tell you.' The upshot was we had to take a much earlier flight from LHR which disrupted our accommodation and ground transport plans to the tune of £140. TAP would not consider compensation as it was more than two weeks from departure, even though they had not clocked the change! On the way home we had checked in online, but we still had to queue for the best part of an hour at the bag drop. And, as at LHR, they had difficulty in locating our pre-paid golf clubs on their computer system. Additionally, they completed the boarding process for both the Lisbon and LHR flights far earlier than was necessary, leaving us cooped up at a crowded gate in Faro and standing on a bus at Lisbon for half an hour as they removed the incoming luggage and cleaned the plane. We have used TAP a few times before and have two upcoming trips to Portugal. Their prices are fair and the in-flight experience is fine, whether I can face the hassle of dealing them again.
AircraftA319 / 320neo / 321neo
RouteLondon to Faro via Lisbon
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"lowest of a low budget airline"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Sao Vicente via Lisbon. TAP turned regular economy seat into substandard even with comparison to low budget airlines, so that the regular now can be branded as EconomyXtra. It is sad how TAP in the last few years transformed from one of the best European airlines in economy into the worst. They narrowed their regular economy seats just to make a visible difference between so called EconomyXtra and Economy – and really make passengers suffer – without even get an extra space for more seats in economy. The catering hat shrank so much that someone will not even notice when it will disappear completely. Our flights from Vienna to São Vicente via Lisbon and back were more or less on time, cabin crews more or less fine, however seating is for such long flights more or less unbearable. Unfortunately, for São Vicente airport TAP is more or less the only option. It's hard to understand their policy: They are letting passengers changing seats between Economy and EconomyXtra (so, why paying for Xtra?), on the other hand they intentionally seat two passengers under the same reservation number in totally different parts of the cabin expecting to pay for seats together (despite more than a third of the cabin being empty). Approach lower than the lowest of a low budget airline, however with the price far from being low. Will avoid them in the future whenever possible, despite being a regular loyal passenger of TAP Portugal for years.
AircraftA321/A319
RouteVienna to Sao Vicente via Lisbon
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I wouldn’t book with them again"

Trip Verified | A day before flying from London to Rio via Lisbon I was called up to 6 times by someone in Brazil trying to sell me business class tickets! Initially I was worried thinking the call was to notify me of an urgent last minute change but it was just call after call, every 5 minutes to ask if I wanted to upgrade from economy, at a fee. In addition to these calls I was also receiving emails. These emails asked me to bid to upgrade my tickets (starting bid was 500euros)! If I was successful I would get the upgrade at whatever price I bidded. Is this normal?? Is this allowed? When boarding the flight in London to Lisbon (first leg of the trip to Rio), the process was efficient and the plane was empty! We were lucky enough to get premium economy anyway when we checked in online (at no extra cost)! Lisbon to Rio was okay. It was packed and I will say the economy seats weren’t comfortable but I was in the middle of a 4 seater row for a 9 hour flight. The food was actually terrible. There were a few times we had to flag the hosts down for a drink as we were quite thirsty. I had a turkey pasta dish. Snacks included bread and cheese. Only wine and beer available as alcoholic beverages. Thankfully this plane had a USB port for charging and a decent monitor for movies/ shows/ games. On the way back to London same sales call issue. Luckily my mobile contact number they had was rejecting calls so any calls to push upgrades to me didn’t come through to me but my friend on the other hand, kept having to reject incoming calls from TAP airlines who were trying to sell upgraded seats again (she got charged for answering the first call by the way). The plane from Rio to Porto (9 hours + journey) was an old one and didn’t have a USB port. They didn’t provide blankets or pillows on this long haul flight from Rio to Porto (it was cold by the way)! The food wasn’t nice but was better. I had rice with a meat. In Porto, we rushed from the plane to catch our connecting flight back to London (the gate number isn’t clearly written anywhere by the way. Just one screen in front of a coffee shop). We boarded the plane and surprisingly there wasn’t a USB port (that’s 14 hours travelling with no charging options) luckily I had my emergency charger pack with me so I could book my cab once back in London. My flights were cheap but I wouldn’t book with them again. The service just wasn’t good enough for me to do so. I hope someone from TAP reads this to look into how often their sales department reach out to people as I’m pretty sure I didn’t ask to be suffocated with unreasonable offers via email and phone calls.
RouteLondon to Rio de Janeiro via Lisbon
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Flight was almost empty"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Funchal. Flight was almost empty which although not reflected on the ticket price was a very nice and calm morning journey with very attentive cabin crew and a good sandwich. Thanks for the gentle wake up before landing. TAP product is good with the exception of the odd inconsistency and their absurd expensive flights to and from Madeira.
AircraftA321neo
RouteLisbon to Funchal
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"not a single good thing I can say"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Lisbon. Don’t get fooled by the price. There is not a single good thing I can say about this airline. I should have read others’ reviews. The whole thing was a disaster from the booking to when we landed. I first booked a flight on their app and it was canceled after a few minutes without any notice. The website and this app sucks!!! I called them and they told me I have to book again which I wish I had used this opportunity to run away far, but I didn’t. So I booked another flight and this time they asked for some documentation before final reservation and I was in the state of “not knowing” whether my flight is finally booked or not. I called them 3 or four times and each time they put me on hold for a long time. Finally after 4 hours I received the confirmation. Then at the airport they made me to pay €180 for a hand luggage that was only about a kilo heavier. I had a connecting flight and the first flight landed with a delay which caused me a lot of stress and I had to stay behind a huge line because of the short time I had for the second flight. The food was meh and the service was meh. On top of all these great things the second flight departed late too.
RouteVienna to Lisbon

"Worst service ever"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | 19 Dec 2019 me and my wife had a business class trip booked with TAP Air Portugal from Copenhagen to Las Palmas via Lisbon. Due to the late incoming flight to Lisbon, we missed the connection flight to Las Palmas. We went to the transfer center and the woman who “helped” us said that there was no way we could go to Las Palmas that day – and the TAP Air Flight the 20th December between Lisbon and Las Palmas “are already overbooked” she said. I showed her two different ways to go to Las Palmas from Lisbon the same day – “we don´t cooperate with those airlines” she said. (What a customer oriented airline TAP is.) So she put us on a trip Lisbon-Porto 12.00 (in Portugal) and then Porto-Madrid in Spain 21.40 in the evening (arriving midnight in Spain due to different time zones). Almost 9 hours at the airport in Porto. But she refused to book hotel to us in Madrid. The morning after we were booked on an Iberia flight from Madrid to Las Palmas departing 08.40 in the morning My luggage was the left in Lisbon – it arrived to out hotel in Gran Canaria 61,5 hours after check in at Copenhagen airport. In Porto we went to the TAP counter in Porto. There was a man and a woman in the counter – and no queue, only us there. More uninterested people you have to look for. They couldn´t care less! They also refused to help us to book Hotel and transfer. Finally me and my wife had to book a hotel by ourselves at Madrid airport! We arrived at Las Palmas airport almost 24 hours late – and my luggage arrived 2,5 days late. Summary: Worst service ever when in need, both in Lisbon and in Porto – and now, at the Service center where we claim compensation for our expenses. Suddenly, they stopped answering our emails.
RouteCopenhagen to Las Palmas via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2019

"such a bad experience"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Porto to Munich. What is supposed to be a 2 hours flight became a whole day lost due to departure delay after departure delay after departure delay ( 3 hours so far and still counting, hope I ll take off by tomorrow). No information ahead, no updates, nothing. Even when flying with low cost airlines I never had such a bad experience.
AircraftEmbraer
RoutePorto to Munich
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"the worst traveling experience"

Trip Verified | Boston to Barcelona via Lisbon. This was by far the worst traveling experience i have had. Our flight from Boston was cancelled on the night of the flight. After waiting for a long time to board, the airline representative simply told us the flight had been cancelled due to aircraft malfunction. We were told that we could wait in line to be re-routed. While we were waiting (for hours) and before we were able to speak to anyone, the airline announced that they could not help us anymore that we needed to go home and to call the airline, a number in Portugal to get a new flight. Once we finally got through we were offered a flight leaving the following day but not even from Boston, but Newark (3.5 hours away by car) when we asked if they were going to pay for our transportation they pretty much laughed in our face. But that wasn’t the end of the nightmare, they gave us a flight that now had an additional stop over in Porto with another flight to Lisbon before finally arriving to Barcelona. So we rented a car, at our expense, and travelled 4 hours the next day to Newark. While boarding the new flight, we were told that we needed to check our carry-on luggage, even though it met the necessary requirements as to size etc. we were pretty much forced by the airline employees to check the luggage, i felt i was in a fourth world country, third world doesn’t begin to tell the story. We had to cancel a road trip to Bilbao that we were planning to do the same week and lost the museum tickets we had bought weeks in advance because we no longer had time. We were traveling with our three daughters (twins 10 year old and a 13 year old). So we finally arrived in Barcelona Sunday at 5 pm instead of the Saturday morning arrival we had planned, completely exhausted and with a sick child. Almost two days of our vacation gone! So if you think you will be saving a few bucks by flying with TAP Portugal, think again! The experience turned out for us as the most expensive and uncomfortable flight we’ve ever taken. Our first and last TAP flight!
RouteBoston to Barcelona via Lisbon

"Service was attentive"

Not Verified | Excellent business class product on this short Lisbon to London route. One of the few routes within Europe that receives a proper business class with their A330s often operating. Service was attentive and the food was good. Lounge in LIS was busy but the food and drink options were acceptable.
RouteLisbon to London
Date FlownAugust 2019

"The food was tasty"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Funchal to Lisbon. The food was tasty, tea served was perfect. In terms of seat confort it couldn't be better. Nice that they reintroduced the full curtain on executive. A big thank you for noticing my lost bag on the overhead compartments after I asked for help at the lost and found section and for alerting me of the duty free products that had fallen as I was leaving the aircraft.
AircraftA321neo