TAP Portugal

"very rough and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | The TAP agents checking in are very rough and unprofessional. I was mistreated with getting checked in and had me move items from my personal bag to my carry on and made me weight my jacket, and at the end made me pay $140 because I did not move 3 pounds from my personal bag to my my carry on. Makes no sense since we are bring the same weight to the plane. I do not care about the money, their roughness and lack of customer service has me scratching my head. I fly a lot across many airlines in US and international and never got this sort of treatment. I do not recommend TAP to anyone
RouteBoston to Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Food was subpar at best"

Trip Verified | I can’t begin to describe how much of a nightmare this airline is. First of all they will force you to check your baggage even if it’s just a carry on for smaller flights and even then there wasn’t enough room in the overhead compartments. Clearly states online that the weight limit is 10kg and they don’t give you any issues whatsoever on any connecting flights until you’re on your flight back home literally 30 seconds before you board the plane and tell you if you don’t pay the overweight fee they will not let you board the plane. Lady literally got confrontational with me and in my face when I tried to show her on their website where it says the weight limit and was yelling at me and then told ME to calm down. Multiple people were annoyed because they did the same thing to them. There was no organization whatsoever. We sat next to a bathroom that one stewardess said was broken, one said was occupied and then eventually one realized was just simply locked. We had to deal with telling just about everyone on the plane over half the flight that the bathroom wasn’t working only for them to continuously step on our feet trying to get to the other side of the plane to use the other bathroom. Food was subpar at best and they few drinks they did give you were literally 4 oz each. Movie selection was limited. DO NOT GET ME STARTED on the seats. Each time I had people in my seat and leg room because it was so crowded. If I didn’t have my partner sitting next to me to lean on to I would have had a massive panic attack. I’ll NEVER fly this airline again it tainted a trip to Rome that was gorgeous and completely ruined the mood every time we had to board one of their planes.
RouteMiami to Rome via Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2022

"plane old but in good condition"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Flight on time arrived early, plane old but in good condition. Very nice crew asking if we need something else. Fantastic flight.
RouteMilan to Lisbon

"Uncaring and hostile"

Not Verified | 4 flights booked from London to Sao Vincente (return) via Lisbon. Second leg of the first flight cancelled the day before and rescheduled 15 hours later. Had to book a new initial outgoing flight on another airline to avoid 17 hrs sitting in Lisbon airport. TAP customer service agreed to refund initial flight. Did not happen. Presented for 2nd flight only to be informed at check in that this flight had been cancelled by the customer service agent following the previous call. Fortunately was able to get on to this flight last minute. Two days before return, unable to check in. Contacted TAP from Sao Vincente. 48 mins later at £2per min, I was informed that both return flights had been cancelled as I had been a "no show", despite the advisor confirming their records were showing that I flew with them only 9 days prior. Flights reinstated. First return flight delayed and connection missed. Was told TAP would put me on another airline if available. When asking for a transfer (now back in Lisbon), the advisor at check in laughed at this suggestion. TAP rebooked me on a flight the following evening - notified of this by text 1 hour after landing back at Lisbon. Luggage could then not be found. Ground Force confirmed that the luggage had arrived safely and had been returned to the luggage belt at arrivals. 3 hrs later, no bag. Told to return the next morning. No food, water or hotel options offered this entire time. Had to rebook an earlier flight on another airline (almost at the cost of the entire initial booking) and pay for a hotel room. Next morning, informed bag was missing and "probably" still in Sao Vincente. Bag located and arrived at Heathrow 2 days later. The only thing worse about this charade, was the behaviour of the majority of the TAP staff I encountered. Uncaring and hostile doesn't even begin to describe some of these interactions. If this sounds like an enjoyable way to spend your time and money, please continue and book with TAP!!
RouteLondon to Sao Vincente via Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2022

"eliminated our upgraded seats"

Not Verified | Terrible TAP! This is the 4th time we have flown with TAP Portugal and it is the 4th time that TAP has eliminated our upgraded seats without notice, after we paid for them. Then they said, at the airport, “there is nothing we can do. You can call TAP to lodge a complaint.” When we checked in they would not allow our check in because we didn’t have the credit card used for purchase readily available, even though we had our passports, printed ticket confirmations, receipts, and other credit cards: all proof of identity. Nothing sufficed. No one helped us. We asked if the agents would call TAP to help and they said they couldn’t. We would have to go to the web. There were no TAP offices at Madrid Terminal 2. This is the fourth time with terrible service.
RouteMadrid to Recife via Lisboa
Date FlownNovember 2022

"they make flying too complicated"

Not Verified | I have flown with TAP a few times and each time they make flying too complicated. They say it is for our security and benefit but they are inept and their web site is terrible. To manage your ticket you must have your reference number and name, but then they send you a pin number to access your ticket online. But there is a delay when they send the PIN numbers and when you enter them they don’t work. Then you have to call TAP and they offer excuses. This all takes extra time. They also randomly change and cancel your upgraded seats, after you pay for them. They say it is because they booked other people in the seats or over sold a cabin. But when you show them your confirmed seats on a receipt at check in they simply say, “we don’t have those seats anymore. Someone is occupying them. You can call TAP for a refund.” This is awful service. It has occurred three times. They don’t offer to make accommodations or upgrades. Nothing.
RouteLuxembourg to Oporto
Date FlownAugust 2022

"food less elaborate than before"

Not Verified | TAP has been my go to airline for flights to Portugal. The airline has competative business class fares and service is ok. I have flown with them dozens of times always in business class and usually it's fine. The first flight from AMS to LIS was delayed by over an hour because "transportation did not show up at the hotel to pick up the crew, who stayed there overnight". Its the first time I heard that excuse and quite troubling what the background of that probably is. Amsterdam has excellent taxi service that could have kept all this limited to a 10 minute delay, unclear why it took hours and no-one including gate staff was informed. Flight otherwise okay, okayish breakfast tray, seating tight (no empty seat next to you on EMB aircraft) Empty seats in business class were filled with crew on standby tickets who then received plenty of laughs and service from the crew. Lounge in Lisbon closed without prior message from TAP: terrible. Voucher (10E) provided but pretty useless at overcrowded Lisbon Airport. Flight to Funchal on new A321 with fantastic intercontinental seating in business. Full flat beds, full entertainment. Very impressed with the hardware. Flight delayed by almost 2 hours. Good hot meal, wine trolley and quick ok service, empty seats in business again filled with airline staff on stand by tickets. Remote handling at Lisbon is not very premium friendly. Return flight from Funchal over an hour late. TAP's app completely usesless as it does not update you on anything. Flightradar gives you all the info that TAP doesn't. Lounge at Funchal closed without prior message to us the passengers, voucher provided. A319 offers a more sparse business class cabin. But again a full hot meal, best crew out of an otherwise awful team of FA's. In general TAP's crew misses communication skills and a bit of flair, but on this flight we got some personality: great. Last flight LIS to AMS again with A319. Flight on time. Business class full with upgraded TAP staff. Good hot meal. All meal trays by TAP in business look good, I miss pepper and salt, seems that has been eliminated for cost reasons, food also less elaborate than before. Wines in business are really rough, but local, so that part is appreciated. No additional service by crew, who sat in galley doing nothing and make every single announcement sound extremely depressing. on time arrival in Amsterdam.
AircraftEMB 190 / A321 /A319
RouteAmsterdam to Funchal via Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2022

"deliberate way to earn some extra cash"

Not Verified | Had to pay an extra fee of more than the cost of the trip itself for slightly overweight hand luggage. I have never encountered something like that and it seemed this was a deliberate way to earn some extra cash as the scale was rolled in pre departure. Plus the crew was very rude about it, while I calmly asked if something was possible to correct this issue.
RouteLisbon to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2022

"do not fly TAP Portugal"

Trip Verified | My experience with this airline has been an absolute nightmare. My wife and I made 3 reservations from Chicago > Lisbon, Lisbon > Barcelona, and Madrid > Chicago starting Nov. 14th through Nov. 23rd. My wife was unfortunately diagnosed with a tumor and needs emergency surgery, which is on Nov. 17th (overlaps with our trip) so I called TAP Portugal and that is were the nightmare started. First and foremost when you call their customer service line be ready to be placed on hold for at least 1 - 2 hours and prepare for calls to be disconnected after the 2 hour mark. The first time I called I was told to send the doctors letter to their document email, which I did. After not hearing whether the document was approved, which why would it not be approved if the doctors letter specifically states my wife has a tumor and can't travel, I called TAP Portugal who informed me the tickets have been suspended and I would NOT be charged a penalty fee once we rebooked. My wife and I then looked to rebook our trip in April of 2023 and while attempting to rebook our trip with another representative they tell us that the doctors letter was not approved because it did not specifically state my wife had an "oncological disease" therefore a penalty to rebook would be applied. I was honestly appalled but we had the doctor send an updated letter stating the words "oncological disease." We called the day after we sent the updated letter and once again I was on hold for roughly 2 hours then the call disconnected. It's worth noting that I was frustrated throughout my conversations with TAP Portugal but not once was I unprofessional prompting to be hung up on. I then send them an email explaining how unprofessional their customer service team have been and the lack of communication/empathy from the airline. I informed them about the new trip we would like to rebook via email and still to this day I have not heard from anyone. Yesterday I called a representative to confirm if the letter had been approved and to rebook our trip ...bonce again I was on the line for 2 hours while Mark, who has been the most helpful representative out of anyone I have spoken to, attempted to help rebook our trip. While attempting to rebook our trip Mark informed us we would have to pay a total of $1000 on top of what we already paid due to the difference in cost. That same flight he was attempting to book for us in April was much cheaper a couple of days when I requested a phone call but of course I never received a response so after a couple of days later the prices of those flights increased. It doesn't make sense why we would need to pay a bigger difference if the lack of communication is stemming from the airline. To put the cherry on top, after informing the agent at this point we want a voucher or a refund he was speaking and the call disconnected. I cant' explain how terrible this experience has been. We are already dealing with my wife's health and this has made the experience even worse. Unfortunately, I still have not heard back from TAP Portugal. Save yourself the headache, time, and stress and do not fly TAP Portugal, you will regret it.
RouteChicago to Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2022

"intention to charge people wherever able"

Trip Verified | TAP Portugal demonstrate an intention to charge people wherever able. They weighed and measured every single person’s carry-on luggage on entry to the plane. The addition of a last minute decision to check everyone’s carry-on after a certain point as they had run out of space, created an additional layer of chaos. This created a chaotic, disordered loading of the plane, and a late departure. I will not be flying with them again. Outside of the issue with luggage, the staff were great.
RouteLisbon to Toronto