TAP Portugal

"The worst airline to fly"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | The worst airline to fly. From lost luggage and when returned weeks later, my bags were damaged. No apology. Still waiting for my refund for the toiletries and clothes I had to purchase.
RouteLisbon to Funchal
Date FlownJuly 2022

" force me to put my bag in the hold"

(Brazil)

Not Verified | To begin with their own website messes up our booking so we arrive 11 hours later than what we actually booked. We then spend almost 4 hours to get through to their "customers service" that the asks for 60 euros to correct the mistake they made. We decline to pay for their mistake and end up taking the flights they gave us. The flight is one hour delayed to begin with. You cant choose your own seats so we are squeezed on a four seat row. My food was not edible. We arrive in Lisbon airport where we go out of the plane just to spend 30 minutes waiting in a bus on the runway before it goes to the gate. Lisbon airport is probably the worst airport in the world. No organization at all, rude staff. To get the stamp in your passport I was in line for almost 3 hours in a line. Our next flight to Copenhagen is after a 10 hours wait. They force me to put my bag in the hold and even tried to make me pay for it even though it met all the specifications needed. I ended up not paying but had to wait an additional hour for my bag in Copenhagen. On this last flight you have to pay for water. The legroom is little and the seats are like rocks.
RouteSão Paulo to Copenhagen via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I will never be flying TAP again"

Not Verified | I will never be flying TAP again. I flew from FAO to Lisbon and then onto JFK. At FAO at the check in desk the lady asked me if i wanted to check my 2 carry on bags for free. I told her i will only check the 1 carry on since it was free. She did not weigh either of my bags. We land in Lisbon. About to board our flight and the lady tells me to weigh my carry on. It’s 5 pounds over what a carry on bag is supposed to be and i need to now pay €125. What?? That is absolutely ridiculous. The staff at FAO should of weighed all our baggage and made this clear. Boarding was an absolute nightmare and completely unorganized. Everyone was nasty and clearly didn’t want to be there. Needless to say. I will never be flying TAP again
RouteLisbon to New York
Date FlownAugust 2022

"TAP just gets worse and worse"

Not Verified | TAP just gets worse and worse. Their booking system is confused and designed only to rip customers off. Forget using Star Alliance points with them for upgrades as they simply don’t accept them however long in advance you try - I tried 2 years without success. This is a very poor reflection on Star Alliance as a whole and they really need to grip TAP’s dismissal of other Star Alliance points clubs. Check in at Lisbon couldn’t be worse even for Business Class where queues are long and staff rude. The flights themselves are almost always late and they go cheap with gates so expect to be as far away as possible and probably via an overcrowded bus. Business class onboard is akin to an average economy class - poor food and absolutely no service from the cabin crew,don’t bother asking for a drink - they don’t like providing drinks outside of meal times and their response will be rude. And finally baggage handling - I think the worst I have come across. An awful airline that is ripping its customers off and simply doesn’t care. Ryanair is much better!
RouteLisbon to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"real issue was the flight was 2+ hours delayed"

Trip Verified | I flew TAP on Sunday, July 31, 2022 from Lisbon to Toronto on TAP257. I had flown TAP before and had sat in Economy in the Emergency row to get a little added leg room for an additional fee in June 2022. I wanted to try Business Class on this return trip as I laid over in Lisbon after flying Emirates to Asia and back through Dubai on July 30, 2022 to Lisbon. The flight itself was okay. The Business Class was subpar comparatively. Food was about the same as in Economy. The configuration is 2-1-2 aside seating in Business. The legroom was awful and suggest avoiding the single berth seats. Ingress and Egress was less than 10 inches. The foot wells in single berth Business are tiny and cramped. There are no armrests and your arms rest on metal "pods" (which are the foot wells for the twin seat berths). The real issue was the flight was 2+ hours delayed. They loaded us on to Buses 20 minutes after boarding had commenced which held about 60 folks each to move us to the Aircraft which was parked out by a maintenance hangar. Covid protocols be damned it looked like by TAP. The Bus I was on (first one) had graffiti all over it and no working Air Conditioning. We sat under the gate waiting to be ferried for 30 minutes in 30C+ temperatures on the tarmac on the bus it hit 33C as packed as we were. The then moved us to the aircraft. The buses sat in the sun next to the aircraft for 45 minutes with no Air Conditioning and doors closed for another 45 minutes. The bus driver got off while we were forced to stay on the bus. Temperature in he bus hit 37C. We all had masks on (Covid protocol) restricting breathing and when my heart rate hit 130BPM after about 30 minutes on the sweltering bus on the tarmac next to the plane, I decided it was time to act for my own health. I moved to the rear exit and pushed the emergency release and got off pulled down my mask on the tarmac to breathe and slow down my heart rate. I was greeted a few moments later by the ground handler and bus driver (who had been walking around enjoying the fresher air all of that time) at the rear of the bus and I asked if they understood how negligent TAP was being by locking seniors, children and adults on a packed bus for over an hour. They whined at me that they were just doing what they were told to which I said, you are being incompetent and I offered to show them the recorded temperatures and my heart beats on my Galaxy watch. With the rear door open some folks joined me on the tarmac and I was happy to at least get a little airflow onto the bus for those that stayed on the bus. About 15 minutes later we were told to board the aircraft (stairs). When I got on I was greeted with a half small cup of warm water and an apology as were the other passengers. 2 hours+ after the scheduled departure we were taxiing to the runway for our flight. Pilot came on and apologized for the delay and said it was "uncoordinated" events between the ground staff and flight crew that caused the issue as the plane had technicians on it when the boarding was started by the ground crew as the aircraft had just come out of maintenance. No other apology. I don't blame the flight crew.
AircraftA321NEOLR
RouteLisbon to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2022

"canceled my flight not even 12 hours before"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to fly but airline canceled my flight not even 12 hours before and re booked me onto a new flight that was already full and when I got to the airport to check in I was unable to and denied boarding. I was on line with an agent for over 40 minutes and no results. had to end up spending money out of pocket towards bus and Uber rides at least 100 extra dollars to get to another airport to take the next flights through a partner airline.
RouteSeville to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"our baggage never made it"

Trip Verified | On July 22 at 3:55 am we boarded the flight from Lisbon to Tangier. Little did we know that we would lose their baggage. We waited a few hours in Lisbon only to realize our baggage never made it. We filed a claim with Ground Force (the company TAP outsources these claims to) and the customer service from both companies has been horrible. Myself and others from the flight have been emailing and calling every day confused how they could lose hundreds of bags at once and have zero tracking / zero idea about where they are. We even sent a friend to the airport in Tangier to search. Neither company seems to care about the situation & I’m shocked they’re still in business with such an awful reputation. Either take your items as carry on or don’t use TAP at all.
RouteTangier to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"we still have no luggage"

Trip Verified | My husband and I traveled to London for a 14 day Anniversary cruise. When we arrived at the airport in Miami we were informed that our flight was delayed, but not to worry that we had plenty of time to make our connection in Lisbon. We specifically asked to change our connecting flight to make sure we did not have any issues. The ticket agent in Miami said that was not necessary, that we were going to make our connection because the terminal was very small in Lisbon. He omitted to say that you need to take a bus from the tarmac to the terminal. Needless to say we missed our connection. We were put on another flight to London and assured by the ticket and gate agents that the bags were on our flight. Upon our arrival in London we discovered that our bags were not on our flight and they had no idea where they were. To make a long story short we are on the 5th day of our cruise and we still have no luggage or any contact from TAP Airlines.
RouteMiami to London via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"stay away from this nasty airline"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Barcelona via Lisbon. This is the worst airline I have come across and I have traveled a lot in my lifetime. Their customer service is outrageous. Their on board staff is rude and I feel like they went out of their way to provide extremely poor quality meals. They lost my luggage, when I reached Barcelona from San Francisco, it was missing. I made an online report, I could not stand in line cause about 39 people, one of the airport staff said had their luggage missing on my flight alone, the line was long and it would be too late for me to travel to my hotel late at night, they suggested I make an online complaint. My luggage reached there according to TAP after 5 days, I couldn't pick it up, I was already on a tour to Portugal. I requested them to drop it to my residence in Sacramento area. They refused and they said it's not their responsibility. It took hours of being on hold to finally get in touch with them. They said ask the airport to drop it off. When I called the airport, they said they are surprised this airline is still in business. They have had many many complaints. They have "misplaced" a lot of bags and it's their responsibility to deliver it to customers home, not the airport. I have made several attempts to get my luggage, now they tell me they can't find it at all. Please stay away from this nasty airline.
RouteSan Francisco to Barcelona via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"worst airline I ever dealt with"

Trip Verified | TAP Portugal is the worst airline I ever dealt with. On July 6th I traveled this airline from Dulles to Lisbon i missed my connection due to flight delay. They scheduled my family and i to stay in Lisbon for 24 hours to catch another flight. We could not do that because we were heading to Paris the next day. So they put us on a Paris flight, but when we got to Paris we had no bags. I was missing bags for 3 days before my cruise in Barcelona. My Godfather was missing his bags for 11 days. He got it once he returned from the cruise. We also flew TAP coming back from Barcelona to Dulles on July 17 they have lost 2 bags, still no answer to where they are. TAP do not really communicate with their customers you have to email a complaint . Have not gotten call on resolution or compensation. You can do what you want but do not say I did not tell you.
RouteWashington to Lisbon