TAP Portugal

"my luggage did not travel with me"

Trip Verified | Booked business class flight, Manchester to Lisbon. Flight was good, only 20 mins delay, however my luggage did not travel with me and TAP Portugal cannot locate the case and now want me to travel onto Boston for a three week work secondment with no case. TAP Portugal will not allow me to return hone, change or delay my Boston trip without forfeiting my ticket cost. The customer service has been quite appalling not to mention extremely upsetting. I cannot believe a supposedly international airline can treat people in this way. I so wished I had read the TAP reviews before booking my flight.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteManchester to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"terrible treatment received from their employees"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | On June 30 my TAP flight 433 from Paris to Lisbon was delayed 3:30 hours and because of that, we missed our connecting flight with the same airline to JFK (New York). In addition to the terrible treatment received from their employees in the terminal, they sent us to customer service where we waited our turn for 5 hours to tell us that they had no more vouchers available for hotel, food or anything for us. In fact, at that time (11:30 at night) we were informed that the claims of the suitcases had closed and we could not look for them, therefore, they left us without any clothes or anything to spend the night. We were 5 people with 3 different reservations where we had an older person and a diabetic person who uses insulin with medication in their bags and their employees responded that it was not their problem. They literally closed the door of the customer service in our face and a manager began to scream to all the people there that was not their problem and were solved. We had to pay, for hotel, food, and transportation among others. Our flight on July 1 TAP 433 from LIS to JFK was delayed more than 3 hours. The worst service they’ve ever given me in my life, they gave it.
RouteParis to New York via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"not received a reply to any of my e-mails"

Trip Verified | The flight we took from Amsterdam Schiphol departed 3.5 hours late (23:00 instead of 19:30). The lounge closed at 20.00, leaving us in the terminal for 3 hours and TAP staff was nowhere to be found. The delay resulted in missing our onwards flight, spending the night in Lisbon and made us miss the first day of our holiday. Two and a half months after filing a complaint and asking for EU compensation I still have not received a reply to any of my e-mails.
RouteAmsterdam to Lisbon
Date FlownApril 2022

"another lie to tell customers"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Tenerife to Chicago via Lisbon. Me, my Czech girlfriend (USA) and our baby (Czech/US) were traveling with TAP Portugal from Tenerife to Chicago. First we spent more than hour on check-in in Tenerife, because the guy there told me, that my ESTA is not linked to their system, even though it was valid, which can be checked on official US government website. He kept saying, that they have problem with my ESTA and cant give us boarding passes to Chicago. After more than an hour we got at least boarding passes to Lisbon and were able to fly there with a promise, that he talked to the TAP staff from Lisbon and they will print our boarding passes there, since he can't do it, because he's not official employee of TAP, just an external work force. When we got to Lisbon, we immediately contacted TAP staff at information, after 20 minutes of checking my ESTA the guy told me, that we should just go to the gate, they know about us and print the boarding passes for us there. We finally got to the gate, more than an hour prior the department, but were told, that they can't give us the boarding passes. It took about 5 people running around with our passports for an hour, handing them one to another, when finally the plane departed and we weren't allowed to board it. At the end, they gave us back ONLY 2 PASSPORTS! So I told them, they had 3, which finally they found it and gave it to me. The fault was on their part (their system), which they accepted. At the end the woman told us, that they could have printed our boarding passes but they didn't have enough time to do it. I don't understand, 5 people were running around, investigating my ESTA, which would take 5 minutes, and they didn't have time to print our boarding passes?? That was outrageous! So we were stuck at the airport with a 7 month old baby, just sitting on the floor for hours before they gave us new flight without any consultation about transfers etc. We didn't get even enough vouchers to cover the cheapest meal and we didn't get our bags back. We could get them, but the guy said, that it would take another 2-3 hours and it was already way past our baby's bed time, since we spent at the airport almost 7 hours of dealing with TAP staff. They told us, that if we won't take our bags, they will arrive to the final destination with us and as you can guess, when we got finally to Chicago, our bags weren't there. So we didn't have a baby stroller, baby car seat or clean clothes 2 days for our baby while on the way and than another 2 days of waiting for bags in Chicago. At the airport we asked the women at the gate if we can get a confirmation from her, that they didn't let us board our plane because of their system failure and she assured us that she will give it to us at the end. As you can guess it was just another lie to tell customers in order to not make them angry and at the very end when we were tired and worried about our baby, she told us that she actually cant do it and we have to contact them via website. It was nearly 10pm, baby was really tired and uncomfortable, so we just didn't want to deal with it anymore and left. After more than a month of filing complaint, we haven't heard back from TAP. If you fill complaint there's just a limited amount of things you can upload, so we could not upload and claim all our expenses.
RouteTenerife to Chicago via Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2022

"The worst airline by far"

Not Verified | The worst airline by far. They are very old school and still make you wear a mask on the plane. They made me weigh my small carry on bag and made me pay $125 because it was over weight apparently by 2kgs. On top of that they were late and made people wait for for over an hour at the check-in area. There was no one to take peoples’ bags, we were all just standing there. There is 0 communication from the airline and they rip you off. As a side note, there was water dripping on my leg on the plane that was coming from the AC. Very disappointed, never flying with this outdated airline ever again.
RouteLisbon to New York
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I will never fly with TAP again"

Not Verified | Flight booked from Amsterdam to Málaga via Lisbon, only 1 hour transfer time. Just to be sure, I called whether that transfer time would be sufficient "no problem sir, the next flight is usually waiting with a small delay". You guessed it because of the problems at Schiphol such as no driver available for the push-back car, missed our slot and left almost 2 hours later. During the landing I switched on my mobile to look on flight radar for our next flight to Málaga, which was just taking off at that moment. After the gate there was a lady from TAP with a new boarding card for the flight the next morning, 9 hours later and some consumption vouchers. Unfortunately they couldn't offer us a hotel stay because all the hotels were occupied. We had to see for ourselves whether we could find a hotel and afterwards declare the costs via the website. Finally found a hotel not far from the airport, €200. Didn't really sleep because of a pop concert right in the courtyard of the hotel. Arrived on time in Málaga the next morning. Declaring hotel costs and delays (€300 pp) is very difficult. They are difficult or impossible to reach by phone. And how long it will be before we get our money back (if we ever get it back) no one can tell us. I will never fly with TAP again. Vlucht geboekt van Amsterdam naar Málaga via Lissabon, slechts 1 uur overstaptijd. Voor de zekerheid nog gebeld of die overstaptijd wel voldoende zou zijn "geen probleem meneer, de volgende vlucht blijft veelal wachten bij een kleine vertraging". Je raadt 't al vanwege de problemen op Schiphol zoals geen bestuurder beschikbaar voor de push-back wagen, ons slot gemist en bijna 2 uur later vertrokken. Tijdens de landing m'n mobiel vast aangezet om op flight radar te kijken naar onze volgende vlucht naar Málaga, die op dat moment net opsteeg. Na de gate stond er een dame van TAP met een nieuwe boardingcard voor de vlucht de volgende ochtend, 9 uur later en wat consumptie bonnen. Helaas konden ze ons geen hotelovernachting bieden want alle hotels waren bezet. We moesten zelf maar kijken of we een hotel konden vinden en naderhand via de website de kosten declareren. Uiteindelijk een hotel gevonden niet ver van de luchthaven, €200. Niet echt geslapen vanwege een popconcert precies in de binnentuin van het hotel. Volgende ochtend optijd aangekomen in Málaga. Declareren van hotelkosten en vertraging (€300 pp) gaat zeer moeizaam. Ze zijn telefonisch niet of nauwelijks te bereiken. En hoelang het gaat duren voordat we ons geld terug krijgen (als we het al ooit terugkrijgen) weet niemand ons te vertellen. Ik vlieg Nooit meer met TAP.
RouteAmsterdam to Málaga via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2022

"the worst i have taken so far"

Trip Verified | First, the flight was 3 hours late from nyc to Lisbon, which happens. Second, when we arrived in Lisbon we missed the connecting flight because they post gate numbers about 20 minutes before the flight a takes off. by the time we reach the next flight it was too late. Third, they placed us in the next flight to Toulouse, but because we missed the connecting flight out of no where the company cancelled my returning flight a few minutes later. Thank god, i had the presence of mind to check my email to see it. Fourth, I had to get back to a long line to fix the problem. The desk person who was very nice, didn't understand why they did that but managed to fix it. Fifth, my luggage didnt follow me even though while i was rebooking the next flight, they guaranteed me it was going to be in my flight. I called all the numbers to try to locate my luggage and every time i spoke to someone they gave me a new number to call. They don't even transfer you, they give you the number you have to call. Most of them take about 30 min to pick up. Finally, its been 5 days and i'm still waiting for my luggage. i keep checking the online checker but i get the same message every single time. I am very worried because their site says that they usually manage to locate a luggage within 72 hours. Overall, this company is the worst i have taken so far and i travel twice a year for the past 25 years.
RouteNew York to Toulouse via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2022

"TAP disappointed at every step of our journey"

Trip Verified | Avoid this airline unless no other option is available. From the initial reservation experience online to the impossible process of trying to get a customer service representative on the phone to correct booking and billing mistakes, TAP disappointed at every step of our journey. Both on ground and in flight staff is dismissive at best and outright insulting at worst. None seem to have had even the basic training in customer relations. The airplane was fine, and relatively new, but very basic. No frills here. Otherwise, TAP truly succeeded in making the travel part of our holiday miserable. This is truly a very poorly run airline.
AircraftA321 Neo
RouteWashington Dulles to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"canceled my flight about an hour before we were set to take off"

Not Verified | Do the world a favor, and let TAP go bankrupt. They canceled my flight about an hour before we were set to take off, and did not even have any staff members in the terminal to give us information or a new flight, so now I am stuck in Madrid with no information, no refund, and no way to get home. No response from TAP Portugal, or what to do next. Their staff are arrogant and will feed you false information just to ward off angry customers. The world does not need this airline, do not ever book flights with TAP.
RouteMadrid to Washington DC
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I will never fly TAP ever again"

Trip Verified | I will never travel with TAP Air Portugal ever again. Nothing to do with the canceled flight & the delay, but everything to do with the response from the airline, the lies at the airport to keep us quiet, the treatment we received and the lack of communication. Our initial flight out of EWR to AMS with layover in LIS: flight cancelled and 0 communication from airline: not a text, a phone call, an email. I was lucky to find it out before leaving for the airport because I just googled if the flight was delayed and it showed it was canceled. TAP rebooked us without ever even informing us of the canceled flight or of the different options we had. On the way back, the initial leg AMS to LIS was delayed. The flight attendant told us that we would have about 40 min to go through customs and get to the gate. by miracle we are able to reach the gate, boarding passes on hand, that they were still boarding passengers. we were group A and TAP was boarding group B. Once we get to the front of the line to scan our boarding passes we are told that they canceled our tickets and gave our seats to other passengers. Why? No response. Then they place us as Standby passengers at the end of the line of Standby passengers and we do not make it onto our flight. we are stranded in Lisbon even though we made it to our gate. The staff there was very dismissive. they gave us voucher for the hotel and dinner and booked us on another flight the following day. they told us we would get compensated for the missed flight and not in the form of a voucher but cash. once home we try to get it and we were told we can only get travel vouchers. no thank you. I will never fly TAP ever again.
RouteNewark to Amsterdam via Lisbon