TAP Portugal

"forced me to get a voucher"

Trip Verified | The airline has cancelled my flight 3 times and forced me to get a voucher refund. Since it’s almost impossible to contact the customer service I agreed. Last time they said they would add 20% to the ticket price but in fact I received only half of the value of my reservation. It looks like they did not refund fees I paid for extra luggage, seat reservation and fast track. I was trying to call them but every time they hang up on me. No one replies to emails or online complains.
RouteLondon to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2020

"I don't recommend this company"

(Ukraine)

Trip Verified | I got the message about cancelling the flight and proposition to request a refund. I completed this booking cancellation procedure at the site though I haven't seen the sum of the refund at the end of the cancellation procedure. But I assumed refund should be in full since TAP Portugal cancelled the flight. But I got the voucher for 10 times less sum without any explanations! I tried to contacted them by phone, skype, site, email, facebook, registered 3 complaints - not a single answer. I don't recommend this company.
RouteLisbon to Kyiv via Berlin

"Very frustrating experience"

Trip Verified | Very frustrating experience overall, I will avoid using this airline in the future. Impossible to get response from their website, I tried calling to their skype, phone, writing in facebook, as well as filing official complaint in their website 2 days ago - still no response. Their website doesn't allow me to update my booking, though I tried several times - it gives various kinds of errors (for example error page when I pay for luggage, already did all operation and the last page should appear saying that all done - it just shows certain non-user friendly error; or sometimes I get pop up windows on their website with API error 500, and so on). Because of this I missed the chance to pay for the luggage 30 euro, and now have to pay 45 euro - and even that actually still doesn't work, in some new peculiar way. Both website and support are the worst airline experience in my life so far (I travel often, and I am work in software engineering - so I know typically how to accomplish simple operations on websites).
RouteMalaga to Faro via Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2020

"Customer service is null"

Not Verified | Customer service is null, price too expensive, the phone lines are dead, they only care till they got your money. After that good luck, spend hours trying to get someone to help you, and and then finally when you find someone to talk to you he won't help you because they won't do anything to give you a money back or to rebook the tickets nothing. They are purely interested in taking your money.
RouteLondon to Lisbon
Date FlownMarch 2020

"TAP has become a lowcost"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | On the service point of view, TAP has become a lowcost. The flight was on time, cabin cleaning was acceptable, the crew satisfactory. However, the base prices are extremely expensive and you get nothing in return if you don’t pay extra. Unreasonable, and it is for a last resource airline.
RouteParis Orly to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2020

"aircraft was a bit dated"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | The flight was slightly delayed from its original times, but announced days before. The aircraft was a bit dated, with no usb ports or extended trays, but the staff were very nice and attentive.
RouteMadrid to Lisbon

"Staff really attentive"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Madrid. A very nice flight. Very few people (roughly 50% capacity). Staff were really attentive and made sure people were comfortable, even though no service was provided, given the circumstances. The aircraft was a bit old.
RouteLisbon to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2020

"could only issue a voucher"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to fly on 1 August from Lisbon to Sao Tome and back on 8 August. TAP Portugal had announced with great fanfare the resumption of flights to Sao Tome (STP Airways is already flying the route each Friday morning at 0600 am since early July). On 24 July I was informed by SMS that my return flight on 8 August was moved to 6 August. This not being acceptable, I was able to change this to a return on 13 August. On Thursday 30 July I traveled from Amsterdam to Lisbon (after having done my PCR test for entering Sao Tome) and upon arrival I received an email that for Corona-related reasons, my return flight on 13 August had been cancelled. In fact all flights to and from Sao Tome in August (other than my flight to Sao Tome on 1 August) had been cancelled. Finding this situation very strange, I contacted TAP by Phone (I have Gold FF status so a dedicated line where people pick up the phone) and asked for a conformation that the fight on 1 August was indeed going ahead because if not, I could still take the STP flight on the next morning. I was assured that the flight was still going ahead that it, as well as the return flight of 2 August, were still open for booking, so nothing to worry about. When I tried to check in on Thursday night through the TAP App, it mentioned that also my 1 August flight had been cancelled. I had not received a message by SMS or email. When I called, the cancellation was explained as a result of the fact that the Ghana borders are still closed for international travel (they have ben for months, and I do not believe that there had been any expectation recently that they would be opened any time soon). In fact, TAP Portugal had already cancelled the flight in the afternoon (before the time that I spoke to the person who told me that you could still book the flight). Due to the timing of this information, I was unable to take the STP Airways flight on Friday morning. What made the situation however even more surreal is that when I asked TAP to refund my ticket (which was around EUR 1100 and which I had partly paid with a voucher of around EUR 110 I had received in connection with another cancellation the rest being paid the credit card), they informed me that they could not refund the cash element and could only issue a voucher for the full amount of the ticket due to the applicable conditions. They are however unable to point out where in the conditions it says so. An interesting way of having the clients fund their business by selling tickets for non-existing flights for cash and then providing vouchers in return. A kind of ponzi scheme. They do of course also argue that the cancellation of the flights is COVID 19-related and has nothing to do with operational issues.
RouteLisbon to Sao Tome
Date FlownAugust 2020

"nothing happens in the end"

Not Verified | Purchased tickets for my aunts with my credit card, but I received an email that the booking will only be confirmed after validation, if no validation takes place the tickets will be automatically canceled. This validation could only be done in person at a TAP ticket counter. In addition to the credit card issue in the email, it said that one of the ticket issuance had failed. I was unable to take them to the airport and do the validation. So I immediately contacted TAP by phone to explain the situation and they assured me that I would get the full refund because the validation would not take place. The next day the amount was debited from my credit card. I immediately called TAP again and indicated that I did not go through the site to cancel these tickets, they then entered the cancellation for me. After I bought tickets through Tix, I called Tap again to explain the situation and proof that I had bought the tickets which were 54 euros more expensive than TAP. They assured me again that I would get a full refund. A few months later (huge delay by Corona) I get the message that I would have to pay 300 euros per ticket for cancellation, while that was not mentioned before, the tickets would be automatically canceled and TAP assured me that I would get everything back. I have been talking to them weekly since March 10 to get the remaining amount back, but it is not getting along. I get confirmation every time that I get it back, but nothing happens in the end. In the past few weeks, when I call they hang-up after 38 minutes, so it is no longer available by telephone.
RouteAmsterdam to Praia
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not cooperating with customers"

Not Verified | Venice to Newark via Lisbon. This is the one airline in the world that is not cooperating with customers given the the COVID 19 Pandemic. They are sticking to their "no refunds policy" despite the unprecedented disruption. I booked this flight well before COVID19 existence and simply attempting to push the trip out till March next year. the costs will be >600 Euro or I can choose to cancel and get nothing back. The 3 other airlines I am working with have all given me the ability to rebook with ease. This was my 2nd and last experience with TAP.
RouteVenice to Newark via Lisbon