TAP Portugal

"seat pitch is very tight"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Helsinki via Lisbon. For me these were the most uncomfortable and painful flights ever. Flying 50+ flights a year this was my 1st and last booking with TAP Portugal. Boarding procedure was complicated and not very effective from passenger's view. On the 2nd flight passengers were rushed to the air bridge to wait for the plane to get ready. After about 15 minutes of waiting people started slowly move into the cabin. Onboard the plane the main issue for a tall passenger like me (I am 1.92m / 6' 3") was the complete lack of legroom on TAP Portugal's A320 fleet. The seat pitch is very tight on these planes. Airline also forces all the passengers to keep their hand bags under the seat in front of them which adds up to the lack of space (they were very strict about the policy). Sitting in an extremely tight space with absolutely no possibility to move my feet for nearly 5 hours was pure torture for me. On the other hand people with large hand luggage were allowed to use the overhead compartments leaving more legroom for their feet. This means traveling light is not advised on this airline. No IFE of any kind available. Both flights were on time and the food served on the second leg (the first leg was short so no food service really needed) was ok. However my experience was just horrible and painful. I will never ever fly TAP again and I'll encourage all my friends to avoid TAP as well.
RouteMadrid to Helsinki via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"how much they improved"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Lisbon. I had nightmare experiences with them in the past, but I'm positively surprised on how much they improved. First of all, both flights left on time and arrived on time. This is granted for most airline companies, but with TAP it was always a gamble. Crew was very pleasant, the cabin is the standard in European flights, including a power and USB outlet. There's also a tablet holder in the front seats. However, what impressed me the most was the meal was really tasty, wasn't expecting such a good meal.
RouteVienna to Lisbon

"They lost our luggage"

Trip Verified | Nice to Faro via Lisbon in August 2018. They lost our luggage and we received no help finding it, no communication from them to us. Our holiday was ruined. We had to contact them for information but they constantly told us they knew nothing about the luggage. We found our luggage by ourselves (it had never even left the original airport!) We put in a claim for toiletries and clothes we had to buy without our luggage. They now four months later are still trying to avoid paying the refund. They are saying they never received a tracked and signed for letter with original receipts. They are the worst airline I have ever had the misfortune to fly with, the worst customer service I have ever had. Avoid a lot of stress and do not fly with them.
RouteNice to Faro via Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2018

"don't respect their passengers"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Rome to Lisbon via Faro. I have had to fly TAP often because my family and I visit my parents in Albufeira, and from Rome they practically have a monopoly (along with Alitalia) on flights to Faro. In all the years that we have flown, we have always had problems (delays, confusion, rude staff, etc.). Yet, never as bad as this time. The flight from Rome to Lisbon arrived late, and because of this we (family of four – two minors) miss our connecting flight (always TAP) to Faro. After a chaotic experience in Lisbon airport we were told by TAP personnel that notwithstanding the late hour, TAP is unable to help us find somewhere to stay that night, and that the next TAP flight available is going to make us arrive in Faro some 15 hours after we were meant to! But the TAP personnel did say that we would be reimbursed for our overnight expenses to the tune of about 90 EURO each. To do this we must follow a procedure which they described. Though with difficulty we managed to find somewhere to stay, and followed their procedures exactly as told. Our delay of course created a number of personal problems, but that is to be expected with a 15 hour delay to a 45 minutes flight which leaves numerous times every day - such a long delay is completely unexpected. Anyway, four months after the fact I received an email stating that they won't reimburse us because "we don't qualify" for compensation. So, my conclusion is: I will never fly TAP again as they clearly don't respect their passengers, and I strongly recommend others to look for alternatives.
RouteRome to Lisbon via Faro
Date FlownAugust 2018

"less canceled flights"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Funchal. Their recent modifications to catering and cabin crew now friendly disposition made me decide to review them with a good catering. Food on board is of very good quality and healthy with flight attendants particularly pleasant. Less delays and less canceled flights are something to note too. The recent administration should maintain this course. It is however very unfortunate the excessive prices for some domestic flights of less than an hour and a half where there is a near commercial monopoly of TAP, particular to and from Madeira.
RouteLisbon to Funchal
Date FlownDecember 2018

"using very old A330-200"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro. At the time when TAP is advertising its new A330-200 NEO, they are still using very old A330-200. I was unlucky to fly on one of these. 4 movie channels in loop on an invisible microscopic screen. Lie-flat dirty bed with a very strong bad smell. Food was nice (fish) that I could previously order on their website (new ). However some FA were rude, and refused to serve cheese AND fruit, because they had full house. Suddenly I felt bad. Note they did not respect basic rules and served wine during 10 hours to 2 gentlemen already drunk entering the plane who laughed and shouted all the time. It should be forbidden to airlines to advertise a brand new plane (A330 NEO) when they only have 1 unit,. Nearly deserving an action.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLisbon to Rio de Janeiro

"a clear improvement"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Marseille to Lisbon. I have been flying this route regularly. There is a clear improvement in check-in attitudes, punctuality, food and beverages, and even in FA attitude. Prices have slightly been increased too, despite Ryanair competition between both cities. But I strongly believe that same competition has compelled TAP to offer a better product, where she had a true monopoly.
AircraftE190
RouteMarseille to Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2018

"very poor customer service"

Trip Verified | New York to Dakar via Lisbon. Terrible service! They charge excessive prices for luggage. I was charged $120 for 1 luggage (not additional luggage). This info was not on my confirmation ticket, or any of the 100 emails they sent me prior to the flight,so i found out about the $120 fee when i arrived for my flight! They said I was charged because I bought a discounted ticket. So they charged me $120 on my only luggage for trying to save $30 on my plane ticket? Also very poor customer service. I would not recommend this company to anyone!
RouteNew York to Dakar via Lisbon

"a great experience"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Lisbon. Booking was very simple and I got a great deal for this trip, paying about 8€ more than the cheapest low cost airline would had costed me. Online check in was fairly simple. Ground crew was very nice, a shame they didn't spoke any Portuguese but that is ok, and they gave me priority because I had no cabin bags, which was nice. Boarding was very simple and fast. The crew met us with a smile and the airplane was clean. Nice seats with enough shoulder room, typical of an Airbus and very good pitch for a economy class flight. We departed on time. Very nice flight, no turbulence at all. The crew was helpful and nice and speedily served a nice meal. Nothing fancy but it was made with nice tasting and fresh ingredients. A nice wine, a very nice piece of Portuguese chocolate salame, a simple but fresh sandwich with rye bread and a coffee. You couldn't ask for much more. We arrived ahead of time and unboarding was super fast. I think there was no wifi and no onboard entertainment but enough e-books and e-papers were provided at check in. All in all, a great experience, an enjoyable flight and an amazing price!
RouteBarcelona to Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Worst service ever!"

Trip Verified | Miami to Stuttgart via Lisbon. Worst service ever! I will never fly again with TAP AIR. In January 2018 I booked a flight with TAP AIR from Miami via Lisbon to Stuttgart. When I was about to check-in in the airport of Miami, I was told that my booking is not in their system. After what felt like a few hours of investigation, the staff told me that this happened due to a system error from TAP. The money for the flight was nevertheless deducted from my bank account, after I made the booking. I was not offered a new flight, thus I had to stay another day in Maimi and book a new flight the next day which was twice as expensive. I immediately issued a complaint at their complaint management. However, ever since (it’s been over 7 months now) each time I reached out to them in order to check the status they just kept telling me to wait because my complaint was not processed yet. Today, I wanted to check once again the status and my complaint was deleted from their system. I really have no words for this disrespectful service.
RouteMiami to Stuttgart via Lisbon