TAP Portugal

"The worst airline ever!"

Trip Verified | The worst airline ever! Munich to Lisbon Was the only flight that went ok. I had trouble place finding a place to put my rucksack and the stewardess didn’t care. Lisbon to Newark a horrible flight. They didn’t have any veg or vegan options, apparently you need to order special meals. During boarding, they caught me for additional screening to answer questions and searching our bags and body. After the meal service they forgot to bring drinks to my row. When I asked the stewardess, she said she is busy and didn’t bother to come back. I had to ask another colleague of hers to bring us something to drink. Return flight New York to Lisbon the worst flight ever. The flight was scheduled to depart JFK on the 3/1/22 at 22:00 but due to technical issues or whatever (the staff at the gate didn’t inform passengers about the delay) the flight only took off on the 4/1/22 at 12:46 ish. Due to this, I missed my connecting flight in Lisbon. At JFK, the staff told us to contact staff in Lisbon as soon as we land but unfortunately, there was no staff at all to assist. TAP Portugal rebooked me into another flight leaving to Munich 7 hours later. I was originally going to get to Munich on the 4/1/22 at 16:50 but due to the delay now I would be landing on the 4/1/22 at 23:25. When I asked if they could give me an earlier flight or give me a place to wait at the airport with less crowd, one of the TAP staff said they can’t do anything and I have to wait like a regular passenger for 7 hours. He said “it’s not their fault“. I spoke to another staff and this time after confronting he gave a 16 € food voucher for 7 hour delay. Lisbon to Munich was the only flight that went smooth without any issues.
RouteMunich to Newark via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"One of the worst experiences"

Not Verified | One of the worst experiences I have ever had. Stay away from this company especially during COVID-19, they do not offer any refund nor allow you to reschedule your flight. As many others unaware passengers, I was fooled by the claim that rescheduling was free of charge. Unfortunately, this is not only false, but TAP does not allow you to reschedule your flight either, regardless of additional fees. This means that any booking is lost. Since TAP does not have a working online service and the operators never reply to the phone, refund is not possible even if you have flight insurance. I spent over 8 hours at the phone and it is the same story: the operators do not pick up the phone or redirect you to a loop of other operators putting you on hold for hours. The outcome of this process is the charge on your phone (unless you are using a Portuguese number). You will soon notice a pattern: in the remote event that an operator replies, you are redirected to another one and so on for hours. Be aware of this and do not be accommodating, leave negative feedbacks and let them hear your voice. The scam machine does not stop to that, with very high fees (hundreds of euros) for extra-sized/weighted baggage and shady requirements, the extra fees are around the corner. Although they claim a classic 55x40x20 bag requirement, intentional random contestations are frequent and it will be difficult to prove your case unless you bring a ruler with you. Before booking with them, really consider the chance of being targeted by one of their scam loops and ending up paying more than a high-yield ticket with any other company. Seats are less comfortable when compared to other competitors in the same price range, do not have phone chargers, are very old and quite dirty. The food was plain, but it still gave me an upset stomach. Overall, this is a disastrous company without passenger assistance at any level (online, on the ground, at the phone). Do not book with them in any form: not on their website and absolutely not by agency (this would double the time you need to waste on the phone with no results). Try to skip TAP and jump to other companies when you're searching for a flight: price differences, if any, are illusory. Instead you will get disservice, lose a lot of your time and possibly several hidden fees.
RouteNew York to Rome via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Extremely dissatisfied with this company"

Trip Verified | Extremely dissatisfied with this company. Stay away from TAP at any cost, the price is not worth the disservice. Do not fly with this company during the COVID-19 pandemic since they do not offer any refund for lost flights due to covid positivity. They consider any missed flight a no-show and deny any reimbursement. To do this, they rely on a loop created by the 24h requirement for most COVID tests. They will ask you to send documentation to their email address and they will not provide any reply. When the flight has passed, they will claim it as a no-show and deny refund according to their policy. Be aware and avoid this company, near-bankruptcy does not justify such embarrassing behavior. Flights are very uncomfortable, missing basic elements including phone chargers. The equipment is very old and poorly maintained. Food is poor quality, although not the worst I've had on an aircraft. On-board WI-FI does not work. The staff are unhelpful. The operators often hung up on you in order not to reply or to delay your assistance. As practical example, I spent nearly 3 hours on hold with no useful assistance. The ground staff at the airport is useless: they do not have access to any modification/change of your reservation. The online system is worthless, it does not allow modifications when they are needed, probably due to a precise intent to deny reimbursement. Fees and charges are far above average for extra baggage. A fee is charged for extra size and weight which can potentially add up to hundreds of euros per baggage. Although this information is not clearly accessible on TAP website, it can be found online from other sources. In summary, avoid this company at any cost. There are many other companies with similar prices that offer a better service. Do not book with this company during the COVID-19 pandemic since they do not offer any refund on tickets. Due to general disservice it may also be unsafe and dangerous to travel with them. In the unfortunate event that you have already booked a flight with them, basic survival tips include: do not check-in your bags at the airport to minimize the contact with the staff. Instead, check every bag online and go directly to the gate: due to the poor service, no scales or meters are available at the gate and it's more likely to avoid tricks on the baggage. For COVID-related refunds there is almost nothing to do, be careful not to get it so that they cannot capitalize on your sickness. In any case, communicate with them by certified email with confirmation receipt and never leave a phone call without any email confirmation. As a final note, do not leave any positive feedback on the phone surveys until you have your issue completely resolved (which will most likely never happen). This is a final trick they use to deny you proper treatment and make it result as a positive feedback: when they bounce you around between operators or ask you to call back, leave no feedback or a negative feedback after the call.
RouteNew York to Rome via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2021

"won't refund my tickets"

Not Verified | They changed my flight which wouldn't work for me and won't refund my tickets. I have been on the phone with them for 11 months and every time they say a refund is being processed. Now every time I call its a new excuse. Last excuse was too much time has passed even though I started the refund process or ROR as they call it. Every time being on hold for well over an hour.
Date FlownNovember 2021

"they pleasantly surprised us"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Since Brussels Airlines doesn’t offer business class on the BRU-LPA route we decided to fly business class to LPA with TAP via LIS. After reading many reviews our expectations weren’t high but they pleasantly surprised us. Check in was fast and smooth with on time departures and arrivals. Fresh and clean looking cabin with a curtain between business and economy and seats with a good pitch and adjustable headrest. Crews were great and they did the utmost to please us. Meals were surprisingly good and tasteful and there was no shortage in the wide selection of drinks. We enjoyed the short layover in Lisbon as the TAP Premium Lounge was great and exceeding our expectations as well. My next trip to LPA will definitely be with TAP again
RouteBrussels to Las Palmas via Lisbon

"unbelievably frustrating experience"

Not Verified | TAP Portugal was the worst airline experience I have ever had the misfortune of flying on. Upon arriving at the gate of my connecting flight, two hours in advance, I was told that my American vaccine pass would not work and only EU passes were accepted. I had read every email sent to me, visited the website several times, and even looked up if American vaccine passes were allowed. I was forced to sprint through the airport with the many other people that were turned away and go to take a covid test. The covid test was in terminal 1 (we were in terminal 5). We were then forced to pay $400 to get a test to board the plane. I barely made it back before the gates closed. Many passengers missed the flight. Upon arriving in Portugal (my connecting destination) the plane took more than an hour to de-board. We were then all forced on to buses and driven to the airport which was not a short distance away. By the time I got to my connecting flight, I still had thirty minutes before the flight took off, however, they had shut the doors and didn’t let any of the people from my connection onto the flight as it was already overbooked. This caused me to miss the train I had paid for and my Airbnb check-in time. I went to the help desk as I was frustrated with the situation and all they said was that I could contact them through a link on their website. I never heard back after several attempts to contact them. TAP Portugal also had different rules at different airports. For example: we were required to buy surgical masks as opposed to cloth masks after not having to wear them for several flights. This made flying extremely unreliable and I never knew what to expect. To make matters worse, the Portugal airport is completely incompetent. They don’t give gate information until 90mins before the flight takes off and you have to go through a passport check once receiving that information. This makes it so 100s of people are standing in a line angry and trying to rush to get to their gates because many were missing their flights. People were cutting in line which made other passengers mad. The passport checkers ended up having to calm people down and stop people from cutting in line which made the process twice as long. Also, the airport had several long escalators broken. This gets very frustrating while running through the airport with heavy bags or things like strollers. Overall I would not recommend TAP airline or the Portugal airport to anyone. It was an unbelievably frustrating experience that cost time and money in the end. The entire process felt like a scam.
RouteNew York to Paris via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2021

"no one can tell me where my baggage is"

Not Verified | As a heads up to any people going on a cruise or a boat, 3 people have told me (at the cruise company, airport and hotel respectively) that TAP Portugal tends to lose or delay baggage when traveling internationally (or maybe just whenever). I have to leave on a boat to Grenada in 24h and no one can tell me where my baggage is. (TAP Portugal does not have a baggage phone line, just a complaint/tracking baggage form, which is telling). United can tell me where and when my bag was last scanned but TAP can’t tell me if they even got my bag at all.
RouteNewark to Lisbon via Sao Vicente

"As bad as bad gets"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | As bad as bad gets. Ground support is non existant. I had to wait 2 hours in a queue to speak to the one of only 3 tap employees in the terminal, or this is what I was told. Let's be clear TAP on nov 26th only had 3 staff at their home airport to assist clients, no management at all or so I wad told. TAP uses 99% third party staff at their home airport, Ground Force, if you encounter problems they have very limited power to do anything. Probably it was better they only had 3 staff as 2 of them were very rude. Not just to me but they shouted at people from India like they are cattle not humans, i was offended by their manner. I strongly recommend people avoid using TAP, if you look at my reviews i am more frequently positive than negative but this company had a bad heart and i will not use them again.
AircraftA330-900 neo
RouteLisbon to Sao Paulo
Date FlownNovember 2021

"This airline is unresponsive"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | This airline is unresponsive as most reviews have attested already. My suggestion is you do not contact them 'directly' but instead complain on the online Complaints Book, a legally established citizenship tool in Portugal. If they do not answer you in the mandatory 15 days as they won't, ask for the intervention and send the complaint to the Portuguese Civil Aviation Authority (ANAC). It is very likely the answer will still be absolutely inadequate if not absurd. In that case, ask for the arbitration of the Ombudsman, a State body with constitutional consolidation. You can do all this online. My latest contacts with this airline have been sui generis, they refused to sent me electronic tickets of flights bought in an online travel agency and answered my question two months after a flight saying I couldn't take a TV with me, even though I brought it with no problems. They do not follow rules and aren't compelled to do so, because unfortunately most passengers don't know how to claim their rights.
AircraftA320-200
RouteFunchal to Lisbon

"No customer service"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I don’t know why TAP Portugal offer an online HELP system because they never responded to my emails over a problem which was I inexplicably spelt the surname wrong on a reservation I was making for a friend who was joining me on the above flight. The spelling was only spotted when the check-in online was done 36 hours before the flight. Two emails were sent to the TAP Portugal head office in Lisbon asking for help, no response so I spent 16 minutes in a telephone call waiting for an agent after explaining the problem about the flight which cost 89 euros i was eventually told the name could not be corrected and that a new ticket would have to be purchased .With no other solution i purchased a new ticket which cost 604 euros. This certainly leaves me and my friends with a bad experience of dealing with this airline. No customer service and just willing to rip a person off for a simple spelling mistake. Do Tap ever read these reviews because from what I can see there is a lot of distrust and room for a great deal of improvement in customer service.
RouteFaro to Prague via Lisbon