TAP Portugal

"worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Accra via Lisbon. This is the worst airline ever. I booked for my 75yr old mum who asked for a wheel chair because she couldn't walk at the airport and this horrible airline was insisting that she walks because she did not arrange for wheelchair. Secondly, I booked through a 3rd party because of bad prior experience with TAP Portugal and my mum was stranded at the airport because TAP Portugal claimed she did not book after I had confirmed booking with TAP Portugal 2 times prior her travel date.
RouteGatwick to Accra via Lisbon

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | 11.15hrs flight from Faro to Lisbon (45mins), flight cancelled by airline 45 mins before departure, no one from TAP at the gate to give advice, 2 staff from “ GroundForce” handling agents then had to deal with 165 passengers, many with connections from Lisbon onwards. TAP call centre still says flight is operational just delayed while TAP online says cancelled, passengers rebooked one by one on alternative flights 2 and 6 hours later, 2 hour process to rebook and a further 30 mins to get vouchers for food (Euro 24). Handling agents did the best they could but no TAP representative at the gate to face the music, terrible customer service. To note, many budget airlines service Faro, all seemed to be on time and have airline reps at the gate. TAP, if you want to play in the big league and boast about all your new connections to the USA it is time to lift your game. Yes, flights get delayed but don’t send 3rd party reps to do your dirty work, it has taken 8 hours from check in for a 40 min flight.
RouteFaro to Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"do not expect compensation"

Trip Verified | Faro to Zurich via Lisbon. My flight from Faro to Lisbon on 4th December 2018 was delayed. In consequence, I missed my flight on the same day from Lisbon to Geneva on the same day and had to stay in Lisbon until the 5th of December. I missed a full day of work and had other costs resulting from this delay. On receiving my baggage on the 5th of December in Geneva I noticed that my bag was torn open. Since this incidence 8 months I have sent multiple complaints by email, whereby I attached all the necessary documents and pictures. In addition I have called at least 5 times to inquire about the status of my complaint. Each time I was asked to be patient. My patience has run out.I have encountered many problems in relation to flying but never filed a complaint. I have been consistently ignored by TAP for the last 8 months in a case which is absolutely clear. If you fly TAP do not expect any kind of compensation if something does not go well.
RouteFaro to Zurich via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2018

"staff at gate very unpleasant"

Trip Verified | Lisbon to London. This is my 4th flight and the last - thank god. Both times at Lisbon airport, the staff at the gate are very unpleasant to deal with. Just now I was waiting, the check in pressure me to check my hand luggage. Even though I told them that this is not the first time. Avoid
RouteLisbon to London

"pretty shabby experience"

Not Verified | London to Lisbon. A330 doing a short euro routing in business class and the seats were fine for a 2hr hop to Lisbon but I'd not want to do a long haul overnight flight, seats were way too narrow for me. No entertainment on screens at all, not even route map, crew told me that TAP are not allowed to have any IFE on European routes? Major problem was booking economy flights (not cheap) then purchasing specific seats, purchasing baggage and then bidding for a business class upgrade on the TAP website. Bids both outbound and inbound were accepted but whereas TAP provide for free seat reservations and baggage in Executive Class, they refused to give me a refund for either seats or baggage after my upgrade bids were accepted - they said I could transfer my seat reservation fees to another TAP flight within 12 months. TAP relied on rather vague general terms and conditions, stating that the fare rules of the class you purchased apply even in the event of an upgrade, to refuse a refund. Pretty poor since those T&C's generally relate to itinerary changes/cancellations/pax changes etc. Seems TAP are happy to accept lots of paid add ons to a basic fare and then refuse to accept that the bid for a successful upgrade should cancel all of this out and a refund given. I'm not a frequent flyer with TAP and will be even less frequent after this pretty shabby experience. Once bitten, twice shy, I'd never book seats or baggage again if I was going to bid for Executive Class, but probably not on this route and I'm unlikely to want to fly with them long haul. Word of caution, TAP use the Star Alliance Lounge in LHR - lovely. The TAP lounge in Lisbon is nice, great food etc but is super crowded mid afternoon and the views of the apron are not as good as the ANA lounge next door.
RouteLondon to Lisbon

"Most unhelpful airline"

Not Verified | Lisbon to Ponta Delgada. Most unhelpful airline I’ve experienced. So upset I can’t even begin to explain. Don’t fly with them if you wish to have helpful people getting you on a flight on time. Also don’t trust the “online check in”. Save your money and time and do not use this airline.
RouteLisbon to Ponta Delgada

"Uneventful flight"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Frankfurt. Uneventful flight. As it often happens, the flight was a slightly late, but we caught up on the way. Staff were nice and food was was OK, I do miss the little juice bottles and the Portuguese "salame" cake, though! Check on was nice and swift too.
RouteLisbon to Frankfurt

"No welcome drink"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Lisbon. We pre selected our business class seats on our flight and when we got on the airplane it was not set up as was selected online when selecting the seats, there were no business class seats. They had economy seats with a little more space. No special treatment at all. At check in they switched your seat assignments and then you find out why. Would never spend a dime on upgrades with this airline. No welcome drink.
RouteBerlin to Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"TAP Portugal has been an absolute disaster"

Trip Verified | This was an international flight and what was supposed to be a enjoyable vacation with my girlfriend turned into a nightmare within the first 24 hours. The flight was scheduled to depart from Miami on Friday and arrive in Madrid at 8.35 am, with a layover in Lisbon. According to the pilot, although we were boarded and on the plane in Miami at the correct time, we were delayed about 45 minutes because we were “waiting for a flight plan”. Mind you, the plane was originally scheduled to land in Lisbon in the morning at 5.20 am, with the connecting flight to Madrid leaving only an hour later at 6.20 am. Even without the delay, it would have been damn near impossible to get to that connecting flight before they closed the doors. We had to exit the plane outside of a gate and catch a bus to the terminal, then go through passport check and then go through another round of security. There was no way we would have been able to get through that in time to make the flight, so therefore they sold us an impossible connecting flight. Do not purchase a ticket with a connecting flight with TAP Portugal. Even 30 minutes before we arrived, we politely spoke to flight attendants about our situation and asked if people catching that flight to Madrid could exit the plane first in order to make it on time. The flight attendants were rude and replied that we would have to deal with that problem with the airport employees when we land. Once we landed, because of the delay, there was no time to get to our connecting flight and there were several others (and I mean several as in 20+) on the same plane that also missed their connecting flights, causing a chaos upon arrival of people scrambling to get flights changed. It wasn’t until 8.50 am, 3 hours after landing, that we were serviced and put on a new flight to Madrid. Let me also inform you that we had scheduled and bought a non-refundable, non-exchangable train ride from Madrid at 3.30, which cost us $200. The plan was to spend the morning in Madrid and then head to Barcelona that afternoon. The agent was able to give us a new flight to Madrid, however it was boarding when she informed us this was going to be our new flight so we had to run across the terminal to catch the flight! Before we ran to our gate, we asked the agent if our bags were going to make it and she replied “Yes they will.” We asked her if she was sure and she replied “Yes. I am working on that now.” So we get on the 9.20 flight only to get to Madrid and find out that our bags did not make it on board. Our checked bags had all of our clothing and toiletries inside so now we’re in a foreign country with nothing but the clothes on our backs and our personal items which only contained things like electronics and school work (me and my girlfriend are students). At this point my girlfriend is crying and we are only informed that our bags may get delivered to our hotel. There was no promise on when nor whether it would actually happen, leaving us anxious. Traveling with TAP Portugal has been an absolute disaster and it was my girlfriend's first time traveling overseas. Their employees were rude, the scheduling/planning was unorganized, and there seemed to be nobody willing to help our situation.
RouteMiami to Madrid

"no legroom at all"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | 27 minutes late. Was seated at the very back of the plane, no legroom at all. Flight attendant very rispidly told me to seat down, in front of all passengers, while I was trying to take a blanket as the cabin was freezing cold. There was an emergency on board and the cabin crew acted professionally.
RouteFunchal to Lisbon