Swiss Intl Air Lines

"the contract is for them to get me to my destination"

Trip Verified | Our flight got delayed in Zurich and when we got to Athens we missed our connection to Santorini because we landed after the connecting flight departed. It was 11.45 pm and with small kids in the family we had to spend the entire night at the airport. This happened because any Swiss Air airline personnel we asked gladly passed the buck saying the next personnel we speak to will know how to help us. No one helped at the departure gate, the flight crew, at the arrival gate, and the counter at Athens was closed for the night. After spending around 7 hours once the counter opened we were able to get onto a flight. To those who say I am wrong about complaining because I should have read some unknown terms where the airlines is a point to point connection, let me ask them if they read their entire apple or microsoft contract or read terms for most of the products they buy. If I have purchased flights from an airline the contract is for them to get me to my destination and not leave me stranded. Sadly that's what Swiss Air did. There isn’t any way for me to get my money back or complain a different way I simply have my opinion and I intend on using it fully.
RouteZurich to Santorini via Athens
Date FlownJune 2022

"worst airline I have ever flown with"

Trip Verified | They cancelled our flight home last minute, sent us a rebooking confirmation, and we thought all would be well. When we showed up to the airport, we found out they attempted to book us on a full flight, we’re denied, and we were never informed. Then the service person at the desk told us we have to call Swiss for help while they chuckled and scoffed. Once we called I was on the phone for over an hour trying to find a flight that was anywhere close to the one I booked. They wanted to take us from a direct flight to a flight that would take over 14 hours to go from Spain to Germany. After being hung up on twice and placed on an eternal hold we were met with attitude and told we would not be compensated for the hotel, the extra charge for my parked car, and our pet sitter. I made sure to moderate my frustration as much as possible, since it wasn’t the fault of the person on the phone. This is by far the worst airline I have ever flown with, and I will never fly with them again. I suggest no one reading this does either. Stay away from Swiss airlines.
RoutePalma de Mallroca to Stuttgart
Date FlownJune 2022

"not giving me my cancelled tickets refund"

Not Verified | Worst everything, I was told to cancel and book a ticket again due to wrong name. And when I do so (within 24 hrs) they are not giving me my cancelled tickets refund.
RouteBoston to Mumbai via Zurich
Date FlownApril 2022

"Refused to refund even a fraction of the ticket"

Trip Verified | $5300 business class ticket BOS-ZUR-BKK. Forced to sit in coach because they were overbooked. Refused to refund even a fraction of the ticket price, not a penny. Literally fraudulent.
RouteZurich to Bangkok

"Appalling customer service"

Trip Verified | Appalling customer service. I arrived two hours before takeover to discover Swiss Air had five desks for all their flights. I was on a midday flight to London. After two hours queueing, and one protest visit to the front of the queue (to be told by an unhelpful desk clerk), I was told my flight had closed. A couple to my left were told the same and were incandescent. Desk clerks couldn’t care less. Told me to go to the sale stand for Swiss Air who offered me a flight in the evening. Had to book easyJet home, far better organised check in took 10 minutes. Swiss refused me a refund. I spent an hour waiting on the phone got through to a Swiss Air agent and the line went dead. The airline is run like Ryanair not a scheduled air carrier. Fly with anyone else and don’t waste your hard earned money with this sham of an organisation.
RouteGeneva to London
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I am so impressed by Swiss"

Trip Verified | Remarkable flights. To start, I have only paid $130 euro promo fare for one way ticket to Montreal. For the price, I get a lot more what I could have imagined. CDG to Zurich, flight was on-time, boarding went smooth, plane was spotless. My only complain about swiss would be that as other regional airlines like Air France etc, they do not provide any complimentary coffee tea on their European routes, nevertheless, we were given a bottle of water and small bite-size swiss chocolate. Zurich to Montreal, on time flight, spotless plane, I get to choose a seat with extra legroom, free of charge. Bottle of water, then followed by little snack and soft drinks service then after an hour in the air, lunch was served, 2 choices and I went for Thai rice, the meal was amazing, warm bread roll, fresh salad and creamy caramel mousse with cheese and butter. An hour before landing, cheese snack with ice cream and choice of drink was offered which is more than what you expect on any transatlantic route. Over all, I am so impressed by Swiss and will defiantly fly with them again!
AircraftA320 / A330
RouteParis to Montreal via Zurich
Date FlownJune 2022

"the staff are stretched beyond thin"

Trip Verified | Company has really slipped as of late. Used to be that the slightly higher pricing was worth it for the higher than average service, however now it's clear the staff are stretched beyond thin (not their own fault), there are new convoluted classes and policies that are borderline predatory and seating refits to smaller, less comfortable seating for long haul routes (this last 12hr leg was a seat I would have expected on a max 3hr route). It seems likely this airline is in a death spiral as it's not better than a no frills, yet they're still charging as if nothing has changed. On my last trip, I was force downgraded due to overbooking, given "compensation" that was nowhere near the cost difference and then, in more words, told to shove it in follow up by customer service, as they're not subject to regulatory oversight for ch-non EU routes. At this point I'm actually hoping they go bankrupt so ZRH is forced to support alternative carriers.
RouteZürich to San Francisco
Date FlownMay 2022

"Few years ago SWISS used to have much better meals"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | This company can overbook your flight, and you won't get a seat that you paid for. I booked a flight almost one month in advance, via "GotoGate" website. Paid a full price and got a confirmation. Than I arrived to luggage delivery in the airport two hours prior to my flight, I was informed that I don't have a seat as the flight is overbooked. Why me and not some other person? It's a really bad experience: I was on the "standby" list sitting in the airport and worrying, until the last moment not knowing if I'll get back home on time or be stuck in Zurich. They tried to look for volunteers to switch to another flight and get 400 eur compensation. I got lucky that someone didn't show up in the last moment, so I got a seat just at the last minute. Also, the quantity and quality of food went down. Few years ago SWISS used to have much better meals. Now you get few spoons of cold pasta, small cheese, small piece of ham, one bun and tiny cake. I remember the time it was twice the size.
RouteZurich to Tel Aviv
Date FlownJune 2022

"Friendly service and decent food"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Johannesburg on Swiss via Zurich. I had originally booked to fly two weeks previously but had been informed that the flight had been cancelled a couple of weeks before departure. The rebooking process had been pretty stressful due to extremely long wait times when calling the airline's customer service center in Tokyo. I was on hold for at least 40 minutes. After rescheduling I noticed that the ticket was printed with my name in the wrong order which was partially my fault as I had booked the ticket on the Japanese site and in Japan they put names in the opposite order. I called up customer service again, was on hold again for 30 plus minutes again and spoke to a very unhelpful person. I was told that I would need to pay 3500 yen (about $30) to change this. The woman on the phone was rude and unhelpful. I was on the phone for an hour in total. This was not a free phone number so not only did I have to pay to change the ticket but also for a 2 long phone calls. The flight was scheduled to leave Narita at 11am and when I woke in the morning I had received a message saying the flight would be departing 40 minutes late. Check in was smooth and quick and the ground staff were efficient and polite. The plane was perhaps 60% full. Due to the closure of Russian airspace the plane flew east over Alaska which means the journey to Zurich was about 15 hours long. The seat was comfortable. Full complimentary drink service was offered with pretzel bites. The first meal was one of the better economy meals. I chose the Japanese chicken and rice, the rice was well cooked and not dry and the chicken was flavorsome. This was accompanied by cold soba noodles, a matcha dessert and roll and cheese. The second meal was pretty terrible, a veggie bake thing which resembled a split white sauce with some random veggies (one bite was enough). This was served with a carrot and lentil salad and some fresh fruit both were tasty. Snacks were available in the galley through out the flight. The flight attendants were friendly and polite. The entertainment system was easy to use and had an adequate selection. After a 4 hour hour layover in Zurich I took the fight to Johannesburg. Much the same experience. Friendly service and decent food. The main meal was rosti potatoes with chicken in a tasty sauce with a salad, caramel mousse and bread and cheese. Breakfast was small but fine, a croissant with jam, a piece of cheese and a yoghurt. Both flights were smooth, the food was decent, the staff were friendly, the cabin was clean and the entertainment system was adequate and easy to use.
RouteTokyo Narita to Johannesburg via Zurich
Date FlownMay 2022

"Not an airline I will use again"

Trip Verified | I booked a Swiss air ticket. Flight was operated by Edelweiss Air. Swiss allows 2 checked bags on this trip AYT/ZRH/CUN. At check in in Antalya the agent stated only one bag allowed, I had to argue with him and supervisor told him 2 bags ok. When check in agent stated only one bag allowed he first said $ 50 each extra bag. Then changed it to 75 Euro. Suggested cash payment before credit card. Gave me a boarding pass only to ZRH, When I questioned about the ZRH/CUN boarding pass he lied and stated the boarding pass was valid for both legs. It was only the small receipt, not an entire boarding pass and I had to get a boarding pass for the ZRH/CUN in Zurich. The flight I booked for the ZRH/CUN leg was a direct flight (LX8024), instead it was changed to LX8026 with a stop in Havana Cuba. Food was awful. Not an airline I will use again
AircraftA320/A340