Sunwing Airlines

"Never been so cramped"

Not Verified | Kitchener to Punta Cana. Staff were great but sorry Sunwing will never fly with you again until you make more space on your seats! Never been so cramped on a plane ever and I’m not very big!
RouteKitchener to Punta Cana
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"flight home was another nightmare"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Cancun return. We booked our vacation with Sunwing 4 adults and 8 children ages ranging from 13,10 and 2 twin babies 1. They boarded us on our flight to Cancun leaving us on it for over 2 hours at the airport while they de-iced it before we even took flight - making a 3hr45min flight a 6.5hr flight without even providing us with a meal to feed our children but forcing us to purchase overpriced wraps. Our flight home was another nightmare. Sunwing boarded us unto plane platform leaving all passengers trapped in the tunnel as there was no plane to load onto due to a fuel leak - the ignorance we received from the staff that never once bother to explain what and why we were trapped in a tiny tunnel they wouldn’t return our boarding passes so we could cancel and book any other flight home. The food was terrible, no space whatsoever, they didn’t turn any shows on until flight was 3/4 over.
RouteToronto to Cancun

"completely disorganized"

Trip Verified | I did an all-inclusive family trip to Cancún, Mexico from Toronto, Canada. Hands down the worst service I have ever had with an airline. The return flight was a complete mess, from the resort pickup (which is provided by Sunwing) - the bus was late about 50mins. At this point in time, many are starting to get hungry as it is close to 6 PM. No one wants to leave for fear that the bus shows up and we are left behind. At the resort it is stressed by Sunwing representatives that you have to be in the lobby for pickup, the bus will not wait for you and if pickup is missed you have to find your own way and pay yourself. With the bus being almost an hour late, all of us could have gone to grab something to eat for free while still at the resort with our wristbands on. Many people, myself included checked out early from our rooms thinking the bus was going to pick us up on time. I could have had the room longer and had my 80-year-old grandma who was travelling with me be more relaxed, instead of checking out early and waiting in the lobby and for hours. Upon arriving at the airport to check-in some Sunwings employees started to inform people that our flight was delayed an hour and 45mins and then other employees not informing any of us at all. I had overheard this at the counter beside where I was checking in and luckily the lady checking in was from my resort and she said “Hey! Did you just here this? The flights delayed over an hour!” I asked the guy who was checking me in at the moment and he then said “Oh yeah it’s late” (as if this isn’t something important). At the gate, many people still had no clue the flight was delayed and said no one told them when they checked in. After seeing a plane land around the time our original flight (9:40 PM) was supposed to depart, all of us thought okay it’s on time. We’re going to go home on time. Employees at the gate then informed us that this plane is picking up passengers to go to Montreal instead and that we had to wait till 11 PM when another plane would be coming. More and more passengers started to complain that the employees then started telling us different times of when we will be departing. Everyone got fed up and we asked for a manager we were told the manager would be coming in 5 mins, 20mins past and then we were told the manager isn’t there but a supervisor said he would come. No one came for another 10mins, then a random Sunwing employee came and proceed to lie as well. Then finally she said a plane is in the air and it will be here at around 11:30 PM and we should be taking off at 12:30 AM. At this point we have been here at the airport several hours, stores are closed and there’s nothing for us to buy. Some passengers asked for food vouchers but we were told they were not approved to give any out to us. If we wanted we can send in a complaint online to Sunwing. A fee other things happened but long story short, the plane was up in the air at exactly 12:38 AM and we arrived in Toronto at 3:54 AM. After waiting for luggage, going through customs and taking a taxi, I arrived home at around 5:20 AM. Resulting in calling into work at 7:30 AM to say I won’t be coming in due to this delayed flight, thus losing a day’s worth of pay. Will never ever fly Sungwing again and definitely do not recommend flying them either. Their customer service is absolutely horrible and they’re completely disorganized! They’re a complete mess, save your time and money and fly with a better airline!
RouteCancun to Toronto

"all-round bad organisation"

Not Verified | Montreal to Puerto Plata. Delayed 11 hours, short of staff and just all-round bad organisation. Sat on the plane for 3 hours after 5 hours delayed in the airport only to be moved back to the airport for another 3 hours. Will not be booking with them again.
RouteMontreal to Puerto Plata
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"delayed for roughly two hours"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. This flight was delayed for roughly two hours to depart and arrived one hour and forty minutes late. At the same time, there was a lack of communication from the airline to passengers including myself. We were not informed of the situation until minutes before the scheduled departure time. Further, it was very difficult to experience genuine care from any of the cabin crew.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"I will never fly with Sunwing"

Not Verified | Orlando to Toronto. Our experience with Sunwing was terrible. The flight was delayed for almost three hours after we were all boarded. It took over an hour for the baggages to come out, and the baggage carousel number is even wrongly informed. We had another flight scheduled five hours after the scheduled arrival time, but we only had two hours left, and Sunwing refused to help us transfer the flight or do anything to make up. I will never fly with Sunwing.
RouteOrlando to Toronto

"wonderful experience"

Not Verified | Toronto to Cayo Coco. We flew out of Toronto on Christmas Eve December 24th / 2019 destination Cayo Coco. Our flight was excellent. The flight staff were humorous and engaging. Provided exceptional service. Considering it was Christmas Eve and I'm sure there were a million other places the staff would have preferred to have been than working, they maintained upbeat attitudes and made our flight to Cuba a wonderful experience.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco

Sunwing Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Cancun to Vancouver. I booked a Sunwing vacation package, for a 2-week trip December 11-25, 2019. This was a last minute trip, booked on the Monday and departing that Wednesday to a vacation in the Mayan Riviera. I upgraded to the Premium Elite Plus package. Ample leg room, although the seat support brackets for the row in front meant that my aisle seat had a more narrow area under the seat in front of me for leg room and fitting a purse. Seemed like a newer plane on the return flight but same set up for space under the seat in front of me. I found the flight crew on both the departing flight and returning flight to be extremely professional and friendly. Bathrooms kept clean and well stocked. Inflight entertainment a joke, but I knew that ahead of the trip. Brought a book to read instead. Flight departing arrived on time. Flight returning to YVR arrived almost an hour ahead of schedule. Flight crew offered beverages and food for purchase twice each during the flight. The snacks on the Bistro menu for onboard purchase are good. However, I do not recommend the Tex Mex Chicken wrap. Mine was dismal, tortilla shell mushy, and the cold taste of the wrap itself unappetizing. After two bites, I put it in a garbage bag. One of the flight crew noticed it when collecting garbage, and later informed her flight supervisor and he immediately processed me a refund. I wasn’t expecting a refund, it was only $10.99, but was a very nice gesture. I just wrote it off to airplane food. I have to wonder that if this wrap was served warm if it may have tasted better. I heard the pizza was tasty. Found the return flight super hot and stuffy. The 2 Elite plus seats next to me on the return flight were not occupied. The flight attendant noticed that and moved “two young kids” (his words) to them as they were in the exit row middle of the plane. Luckily they were teenagers but the girl in the middle seat didn’t seem to have any regard for being on a plane and me being next to her, and spread out so much and leaning on her tray table to rest she kept flipping her hair all over my tray table and in my drink. Or when sitting up, at times she was well over the arm rest space and in my area. She appeared to be maybe 13 and the friend moved with her was 15. I later learned their moms are friends and they were all travelling together. If moving ‘young kids’ as the flight attendant mentioned, it may have been more pleasant to consider not placing two ‘young kids’ within the Elite Plus seats. I am sure a few adults near their original seats could have swapped. And why were they assigned seats in the exit row in the first place if they were not an adult and allowed to sit there??? Just saying. My Sunwing package included airport/resort transfers. The transfer from Cancun airport to the resort took a while for the last few passengers and then departed. Only a 15 person van so nice not to have numerous drop offs. My return transfer from Grand Sunset Princess Resort to the airport was excellent. Pick up was a few minutes early and we were dropped off at the airport 20 minutes prior to being allowed to check in for our flights. Pick up at the resort was almost 4 hours before the flight departed. Only 10 people in our transfer to the airport, and no additional stops after I was picked up. Overall another happy experience with Sunwing. I know what I am getting up front and for this experience (I don't expect an Air France experience), overall they exceeded my expectations.
RouteCancun to Vancouver
Date FlownDecember 2019

"knew what to expect with a budget flight"

Trip Verified | We have flown Sunwing before, so knew what to expect with a budget flight/hotel package to Huatulco from Vancouver. I opt for the premium seats, paying an extra $50 each way, which gives a bit of leg-room in the bulkhead, and to be near the washroom. But be warned that if you have an aisle seat, you will be constantly jostled by people using the facilities. If you get a window seat, you have to climb over your seat mates and hope they are nice people who don’t get annoyed at you stepping on toes, banging knees, or doing some creative choreography to not end up in their laps facing them. And then you have to go through the tiny galley, where the flight attendants are scrambling with meal and drink service. Let’s face it, this is a flying sardine tin, and changing in the tiny closet of a bathroom (in or out of weather-appropriate clothing) requires the skills of Houdini. (My husband quipped, “.. not enough room to change your mind, let alone clothes.”) On this trip home, we had to drop off passengers in Victoria, before a very quick flight to our final destination, Vancouver, 11:OO pm (1:00 am Huatulco time). When landed, the passenger count was off for some reason, and had to be recounted about 4 times. Flight attendant was snarky when I asked if a resolution was being worked out, and that she didn’t have an answer and I should take my seat. We missed our takeoff slot during this mishap, so what should have been an expedient unloading of Victoria passengers and very quick flight home landed us in our airport hotel about 2:00 am (4 am Huatulco time). Not terrible in comparison to other delays I’m reading about with this airline. They need a major improvement on their menu and execution of said menu. My husband was sitting across from the child from hell and his parents. This kid had screamed his way through the airport, prior to boarding, and they wound up on our flight. My sympathy for the parents dissolved when a passenger and the dad almost came to blows before the flight attendant intervened. Later, upon take off and landing, Dad refused to buckle the 4 yr old into his seat, and got into an argument with the flight attendant, who technically could have thrown them off the plane, and wish she would have. The kid calmed down, for the most part, for the rest of the flight. However, when we were delayed in Victoria, my husband moved up to sit with me and chat. When he returned to his seat, the child was sitting in it. The child had smeared gum under my husbands shoe, and it was ground into the carpet, no doubt under the watchful blind eye of his parents. I realized in the end that the flight attendant’s patience had been wearing thin all along, and bear her no ill will. I also realized that the crew’s start to Christmas Day wasn’t ideal either. Then our luggage was delayed. My conclusions: 1). Flying during the busy holiday season can be less than perfect. Things that cause delays are somewhat mysterious to us civilians, and may be based on facts that we aren’t privy to—although they could keep us better informed. 2). Wider aisles and wider seats are desirable, but if you buy a bargain package, don’t expect luxury. 3). Passenger behaviour and personal foul-ups may also be the cause of delays.
RouteHuatulco to Vancouver via Victoria
Date FlownDecember 2019

"They treat customers worse than cattle"

Trip Verified | Camaguey, Cuba to Toronto, Canada. Never fly Sunwing, the worst airline in Canada and probably in the world. They treat customers worse than cattle. They will not take your luggage to your destination because they carry cargo, and have no space for customers’ bags. Of course you find out about it after arrival. Right now we are stuck in Camaguey, Cuba because those greedy crooks changed the departure time from 11.10 am to 18.10, added 2 extra hours for an unscheduled stop over, and on top of that the plane is late 3 hours. It may still be further delayed. Instead of arriving in Toronto at 14.10, right now it looks like we might arrive at 2.30 am at the earliest the next day. That is over 12 hours after the scheduled arrival. It is unbelievable that they can get away with it as it happens with them all the time.
RouteCamaguey, Cuba to Toronto, Canada