Sunwing Airlines

"will definitely avoid"

Trip Verified | Flew yesterday from Punta Cana to Hamilton and had an exhausting day with multiple delays. They claimed de icing was the issue, yet it was above freezing with rain in Hamilton so that wouldn’t really make any sense. The worst part was after finally boarding, they went full throttle with the engine to take off and then the plane stopped. It was a terrifying experience. We thought something was wrong with the plane. The pilot let us know that they had forgotten two passengers and we had to go back to the gate? We were almost in the air! Not sure how these passengers could have missed the flight with all these delays to begin with. The apologized but we had to wait another 45 mins at the gate and we not compensated in any way for yet another not only inconvenience but very nerve wracking experience. I’d like to add that in the southbound flight my husband and I ordered food that’s apparently from a chef? The food was so nasty. His wrap was freezing cold and when we asked the flight attendant if it was supposed to be cold she just said, yes, in a snarky tone and kept moving. I will definitely avoid flying with Sunwing in the future.
RoutePunta Cana to Hamilton
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Worst flight I have ever taken"

Trip Verified | Flying back from Miami to Toronto. Boarding time was 11.20, waiting and nothing was told to us, boarded at 12.20. Apparently there was a snow storm in Toronto and a 3hr flight turned into a 6hr flight going to Hamiliton and sitting on the plane for over 2hrs. Mind you our flight was to land at 3pm. No food was offered to us, only one small cookie and water. Hungry and frustrated for hours sitting on the plane, stating it was gonna leave to Toronto every 15 minutes and never did. Once landed in Toronto around 9pm, had to take a shuttle to customs and baggage claim. Once customs was done, getting our baggage was a hassle. 3 times they told us different areas to pick up luggage, waiting and waiting, my luggage was no where to be seen, finding my luggage in a totally different area, then told. Worst flight I have ever taken and worst experience getting my luggage.
RouteMiami to Toronto

"bait-and-switch marketing"

Trip Verified | Our experience on Sunwing Airlines (Toronto-Ixtapa-Toronto) was a microcosm of many of the other disparaging reviews on this site: bait-and-switch marketing, leading to itinerary changes that turned what was supposed to be a 5-hour return leg into an 8.5-hour endurance test; sudden "mechanical issues" resulting in plane-changes on both legs after boarding; appallingly crowded check-in conditions in Ixtapa that required passengers to line up outside in the boiling sun; decrepit, horribly uncomfortable cabins; food shortages; furious passengers whose luggage had been lost — the list goes on. Sunwing is just plain bad. It makes Aeroflot of the 1980s look exemplary. Spend a few hundred more and save yourself tons of aggravation. As one irate fellow passenger put it: "The first time it's Sunwing's mistake. The second time it's mine."
RouteToronto to Ixtapa

"Never been so cramped"

Not Verified | Kitchener to Punta Cana. Staff were great but sorry Sunwing will never fly with you again until you make more space on your seats! Never been so cramped on a plane ever and I’m not very big!
RouteKitchener to Punta Cana
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"flight home was another nightmare"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Cancun return. We booked our vacation with Sunwing 4 adults and 8 children ages ranging from 13,10 and 2 twin babies 1. They boarded us on our flight to Cancun leaving us on it for over 2 hours at the airport while they de-iced it before we even took flight - making a 3hr45min flight a 6.5hr flight without even providing us with a meal to feed our children but forcing us to purchase overpriced wraps. Our flight home was another nightmare. Sunwing boarded us unto plane platform leaving all passengers trapped in the tunnel as there was no plane to load onto due to a fuel leak - the ignorance we received from the staff that never once bother to explain what and why we were trapped in a tiny tunnel they wouldn’t return our boarding passes so we could cancel and book any other flight home. The food was terrible, no space whatsoever, they didn’t turn any shows on until flight was 3/4 over.
RouteToronto to Cancun

"completely disorganized"

Trip Verified | I did an all-inclusive family trip to Cancún, Mexico from Toronto, Canada. Hands down the worst service I have ever had with an airline. The return flight was a complete mess, from the resort pickup (which is provided by Sunwing) - the bus was late about 50mins. At this point in time, many are starting to get hungry as it is close to 6 PM. No one wants to leave for fear that the bus shows up and we are left behind. At the resort it is stressed by Sunwing representatives that you have to be in the lobby for pickup, the bus will not wait for you and if pickup is missed you have to find your own way and pay yourself. With the bus being almost an hour late, all of us could have gone to grab something to eat for free while still at the resort with our wristbands on. Many people, myself included checked out early from our rooms thinking the bus was going to pick us up on time. I could have had the room longer and had my 80-year-old grandma who was travelling with me be more relaxed, instead of checking out early and waiting in the lobby and for hours. Upon arriving at the airport to check-in some Sunwings employees started to inform people that our flight was delayed an hour and 45mins and then other employees not informing any of us at all. I had overheard this at the counter beside where I was checking in and luckily the lady checking in was from my resort and she said “Hey! Did you just here this? The flights delayed over an hour!” I asked the guy who was checking me in at the moment and he then said “Oh yeah it’s late” (as if this isn’t something important). At the gate, many people still had no clue the flight was delayed and said no one told them when they checked in. After seeing a plane land around the time our original flight (9:40 PM) was supposed to depart, all of us thought okay it’s on time. We’re going to go home on time. Employees at the gate then informed us that this plane is picking up passengers to go to Montreal instead and that we had to wait till 11 PM when another plane would be coming. More and more passengers started to complain that the employees then started telling us different times of when we will be departing. Everyone got fed up and we asked for a manager we were told the manager would be coming in 5 mins, 20mins past and then we were told the manager isn’t there but a supervisor said he would come. No one came for another 10mins, then a random Sunwing employee came and proceed to lie as well. Then finally she said a plane is in the air and it will be here at around 11:30 PM and we should be taking off at 12:30 AM. At this point we have been here at the airport several hours, stores are closed and there’s nothing for us to buy. Some passengers asked for food vouchers but we were told they were not approved to give any out to us. If we wanted we can send in a complaint online to Sunwing. A fee other things happened but long story short, the plane was up in the air at exactly 12:38 AM and we arrived in Toronto at 3:54 AM. After waiting for luggage, going through customs and taking a taxi, I arrived home at around 5:20 AM. Resulting in calling into work at 7:30 AM to say I won’t be coming in due to this delayed flight, thus losing a day’s worth of pay. Will never ever fly Sungwing again and definitely do not recommend flying them either. Their customer service is absolutely horrible and they’re completely disorganized! They’re a complete mess, save your time and money and fly with a better airline!
RouteCancun to Toronto

"all-round bad organisation"

Not Verified | Montreal to Puerto Plata. Delayed 11 hours, short of staff and just all-round bad organisation. Sat on the plane for 3 hours after 5 hours delayed in the airport only to be moved back to the airport for another 3 hours. Will not be booking with them again.
RouteMontreal to Puerto Plata
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"delayed for roughly two hours"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. This flight was delayed for roughly two hours to depart and arrived one hour and forty minutes late. At the same time, there was a lack of communication from the airline to passengers including myself. We were not informed of the situation until minutes before the scheduled departure time. Further, it was very difficult to experience genuine care from any of the cabin crew.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"I will never fly with Sunwing"

Not Verified | Orlando to Toronto. Our experience with Sunwing was terrible. The flight was delayed for almost three hours after we were all boarded. It took over an hour for the baggages to come out, and the baggage carousel number is even wrongly informed. We had another flight scheduled five hours after the scheduled arrival time, but we only had two hours left, and Sunwing refused to help us transfer the flight or do anything to make up. I will never fly with Sunwing.
RouteOrlando to Toronto

"wonderful experience"

Not Verified | Toronto to Cayo Coco. We flew out of Toronto on Christmas Eve December 24th / 2019 destination Cayo Coco. Our flight was excellent. The flight staff were humorous and engaging. Provided exceptional service. Considering it was Christmas Eve and I'm sure there were a million other places the staff would have preferred to have been than working, they maintained upbeat attitudes and made our flight to Cuba a wonderful experience.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco