Sunwing Airlines

"never fly with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience, would not recommend Sunwing as a tour operator for All-Inclusive holidays. Trying to be creative in saving money, Sunwing started combining flights from Toronto to two different destinations (although the TripCentral web-site, were we bought our vacation packages showed 'Direct flight') - in our case they detoured us through Los Cabos before dropping off in our final destination of Ixtapa (Los Cabos and Ixtapa are almost 2 hrs of flight apart). We had to go through the customs in Los Cabos, collect our luggage and go through the whole check-in routing again. Normal flight that should take 5 hrs, took 9-10 hours instead, and for that time it would have been easier to fly to Europe. The crew only gave us soft drinks during the whole ordeal and as a bonus - tiny packs of cookies during the second leg of the journey. Due to lack of time in the interim destination they did not clean seats properly and the magazine pocket of my seat 28F contained traces of snacks from the previous passenger. On the way back fellow-passengers who flew from Toronto to Las Cabos via Ixtapa, had to disembark at Ixtapa, go through all that jazz with customs/luggage/check-in and in addition customs took away all the goods bought at the Duty Free in Toronto and charged them penalty. Instead of taking responsibility, Sunwing crew blamed Mexico customs. As far as I my family concerned, we will never fly with Sunwing again.
RouteToronto to Ixtapa

"didn't like the food"

Not Verified | Dartmouth to Cuba. The staff were very professional and welcoming. There is absolutely no leg room so on the return flight I purchased 'Elite Plus". More leg room but it did not improve the 'arm' space. What I really didn't like was the food! The pizza and smoked meat were disgusting. I find it hard to believe that an airline of this size can't find a decent food caterer.
RouteDartmouth to Cuba
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"overpriced and rip you off"

Trip Verified | Punta Cana to Toronto. Sunwing delayed our flight with (no reason given) for 12 hours, the entire day lost. To try to make up for it they gave $100 vouchers to each passenger. I was travelling with my 2 children. Since then, I booked one big sunwing package to cuba (hoping to redeem the vouchers). They make you make the reservation first, then say they'll refund you the voucher value. I was under the impression that I'd get $300 back, but because my 8 and 2 year old were not on the trip, they only refunded me $100 back. Now again I booked through sunwing, a hotel (to try to redeem the remaining 200$, as I spoke to someone from sunwing who reassured me that they'd be redeemed). Again, I was tricked into placing this new reservation with sunwing, and they are denying the vouchers. Bottom line is, Sunwing is overpriced and rip you off, they trick you into spending more money with them, looking for any excuse to not honor vouchers given for their own mistakes. The whole point of the vouchers to begin with were to try to make the customers/travellers compensated for losing an entire day and in the end it turned out to be just a scheme to get you to spend more money with them. I travel very often and have never left a bad review for anything, me taking the time to write means I don't want anyone else being ripped off and tricked by this company. They have no pride, fairness or desire in creating customer loyalty or satisfaction. I would definitely never book through or with them again, and not recommend it.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"next time our trip will be booked with someone else"

Not Verified | Flight was 2 hours late to get to Punta Cana. Flight was an hour late to board in Punta Cana. Trying to get any help in Punta Cana from Sunwing, they ignore us because they can’t speak our language. Then on the plane, no entertainment at all. Last trip with another airline, there was a movie on to help with my stress of flying. They ran out of food so we had to eat crackers instead of an ok meal. Then at the resort, we were harassed for tours, over and over even after saying no again and again by the same Sunwing people. And then going to Grand Memories resort, we got told we could not be on the beach area because it was reserved to Royalton. So next time our trip will be booked with someone else. Flight attendants on plane all look grumpy coming back from Punta Cana.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Old plane, cramped space"

Trip Verified | Saskatoon to Punta Cana. Old plane, cramped space, in flight entertainment was a few episodes of Big Bang Theory and Fresh Prince of Bel Aire? Put screens in each headrest and lose a row of seats. The food is pretty blah and on the way back they took a detour for more fuel because they "accidentally" overloaded the plane. Added about 3 hours to the flight. The Dominican Republic charges 20$ US (only payable in cash) to leave the country, reputable airlines include it in the price so you don't have to scramble to the extortion oops I mean currency exchange while an entire jet has to wait for you. Spend a bit more and have a nice flight with someone else.
RouteSaskatoon to Punta Cana
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"would never recommend Sunwing"

Trip Verified | Paid for direct flight January 27, 2020 from Santa Clara to Saskatoon. Flight delay of 2 hours Arrived at airport. When boarding began heard from other passengers that we were going to Montego Bay. When in Montego Bay pilot stated we will be going to Windsor Ontario to fuel up. Arrived in Saskatoon at 4:40 in the morning nearly 6 hours late. Sunwing does not give customers accurate information and provides very poor service. We would never recommend Sunwing. Buyer beware!!
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RouteSanta Clara to Saskatoon
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never fly with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | I am almost in too much pain from having to use the unavailable washroom to write this review. We are currently refuelling in Hamilton because the flight has been overloaded. I am a medium to small size woman, and there is inadequate leg and arm room around my seat. They played the same old episode of Big Bang theory on our flight to and from Punta Cana .. come on! I will never fly with Sunwing again.
RoutePunta Cana to Saskatoon

"will definitely avoid"

Trip Verified | Flew yesterday from Punta Cana to Hamilton and had an exhausting day with multiple delays. They claimed de icing was the issue, yet it was above freezing with rain in Hamilton so that wouldn’t really make any sense. The worst part was after finally boarding, they went full throttle with the engine to take off and then the plane stopped. It was a terrifying experience. We thought something was wrong with the plane. The pilot let us know that they had forgotten two passengers and we had to go back to the gate? We were almost in the air! Not sure how these passengers could have missed the flight with all these delays to begin with. The apologized but we had to wait another 45 mins at the gate and we not compensated in any way for yet another not only inconvenience but very nerve wracking experience. I’d like to add that in the southbound flight my husband and I ordered food that’s apparently from a chef? The food was so nasty. His wrap was freezing cold and when we asked the flight attendant if it was supposed to be cold she just said, yes, in a snarky tone and kept moving. I will definitely avoid flying with Sunwing in the future.
RoutePunta Cana to Hamilton
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Worst flight I have ever taken"

Trip Verified | Flying back from Miami to Toronto. Boarding time was 11.20, waiting and nothing was told to us, boarded at 12.20. Apparently there was a snow storm in Toronto and a 3hr flight turned into a 6hr flight going to Hamiliton and sitting on the plane for over 2hrs. Mind you our flight was to land at 3pm. No food was offered to us, only one small cookie and water. Hungry and frustrated for hours sitting on the plane, stating it was gonna leave to Toronto every 15 minutes and never did. Once landed in Toronto around 9pm, had to take a shuttle to customs and baggage claim. Once customs was done, getting our baggage was a hassle. 3 times they told us different areas to pick up luggage, waiting and waiting, my luggage was no where to be seen, finding my luggage in a totally different area, then told. Worst flight I have ever taken and worst experience getting my luggage.
RouteMiami to Toronto

"bait-and-switch marketing"

Trip Verified | Our experience on Sunwing Airlines (Toronto-Ixtapa-Toronto) was a microcosm of many of the other disparaging reviews on this site: bait-and-switch marketing, leading to itinerary changes that turned what was supposed to be a 5-hour return leg into an 8.5-hour endurance test; sudden "mechanical issues" resulting in plane-changes on both legs after boarding; appallingly crowded check-in conditions in Ixtapa that required passengers to line up outside in the boiling sun; decrepit, horribly uncomfortable cabins; food shortages; furious passengers whose luggage had been lost — the list goes on. Sunwing is just plain bad. It makes Aeroflot of the 1980s look exemplary. Spend a few hundred more and save yourself tons of aggravation. As one irate fellow passenger put it: "The first time it's Sunwing's mistake. The second time it's mine."
RouteToronto to Ixtapa