Sunwing Airlines

"rude and impolite response"

Trip Verified | I have booked a flight on March 31 for a round trip from Vancouver to Toronto for May 24 and return on June 02 and i paid it off full on the day of booking. Just a week before my flight on May 17 i got an email that this flights (Flight 802/807) are cancelled and you have choice to reschedule it to June 07 or get refund of your money that will take 7 business days to return to my account. .I had to be in Toronto on May 25 so i was not able to reschedule it. Suppose that if you want to get a ticket from Vancouver to Toronto just a few days of your flight it cost you fortune since i could get the same ticket two month ago that i booked Sunwing Airlines with half price. I called several times to convey my issue and concern but i only got a very rude and impolite response from the agent without any explanation and said this is what it is and go do whatever you want.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2018

"will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to St. Lucia. Our flight to St. Lucia was supposed to leave at 11 am. The flight was delayed due to mechanical issues with no updated departure time given. Sunwing offered food vouchers for the food court which was nice but there was probably 300 or more people on the flight. We all had to line up to get these vouchers from the few Sunwing staff that were working. They then told us the flight would be delayed until 10:30 pm that night. They offered hotel vouchers for those who came from out of town. Again we had to wait in line for these. It was pure chaos. None of the staff seemed to know what was going on or how to deal with the situation. This delay threw off the entire beginning of our trip. We were exhausted after being up for 24 hours straight and we missed an entire night at our resort. Sunwing did offer us $200 vouchers for the inconvenience but when we went to use these we found out they had to convert them to USD and that we could only use 65% of it towards an excursion on our trip. The plane we flew back on was dirty, the AC stopped working at one point, the seatbelt lights and reading lights did not work at all and we were not offered a meal even though the flight was over dinner time. I have no idea how this airline is still in business and I will never fly with them again. Spend a little more money and fly with another airline!
RouteToronto to St. Lucia
Date FlownMay 2019

"refuse to compensate us"

Trip Verified | My wife's friend is getting married in Toronto in May of 2019. Upon hearing the news, we booked the most value flight we can find online. We thought we scored a deal with Sunwing for $700 (after fees, taxes) for both of us. Flight leaves Vancouver for Toronto on May 18 and return on May 27. A couple of weeks ago, early May, Sunwing called and said our return flight was cancelled. They gave a full refund and a $100 voucher as compensation. We did managed to find a more expensive return flight but still within our budget. Sunwing assured us that the Vancouver to Toronto is still on. Two days from our departure date, Sunwing called and now says our Vancouver to Toronto flight was cancelled. They offered a next day flight but we would miss the wedding reception. I told them that was unacceptable yet they refuse to compensate us the difference with a competitor flight. Not only that, they didn't even offer another $100 voucher for the inconvenience. The agent refused to give anything and the manager was even less helpful. They were just stone cold and probably laughing at our misfortune behind the phone. We're now paying for a much more expensive last minute flight to get to Toronto, have to book another night at a hotel, and additional day of car rental.
RouteVancouver to Toronto

"worst experience travelling"

Not Verified | We had the worst experience travelling with this joke of a airlines. We were coming home from vacation, from Punta Cana. We boarded the plane along with other 300 people. First of all, it wasn't even a Sunwing plane. Sunwing uses old planes of airlines that went out of business. Very old plane, you realize as soon as you enter it. We took our seats and plane started to move to depart, all the sudden, the lights were off and AC stopped working. Everybody on the plane went silent, 20 min later pilot informed us that the generator wasn't working, it stared to get hot on the plane. 20 more min and pilot said that problem was fixed and we can fly to Toronto now, we took off, and 15 min into the flight, pilot announcted that we were returing to Punta Cana as the navigation wasn't working. We returned to Punta, sat on the tarmac for 3-hours, pilot was scrambling to figure out what to do. After hours of waiting we had to leave, collect our luggage, and go to a hotel for the night (after literal hours and hours of waiting, to get off the plane, go thru customs again, collect luggage, board a bus to a hotel) It was a nightmare. We returned home following day and I will never fly with Sun Wing again.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto

"No customer service"

Not Verified | Upgraded to business class and was very pleased with the seats. Older but lots of leg room. Food is good no issues at all. On the way to Punta Cana the service was okay, on the way back I was shocked. No customer service at all. We were delayed an hour and I understand that happens but nobody told us why or what was going on until people started to get upset. Didn’t offer water or anything and it was very hot. I was at the front and the flight attendants all just talked to each other the whole flight ignoring people. I had to ask for water 3 times at one point and they just said okay then not get me any. No smiles, no how are you? Just rude! Maybe Sunwing should have a talk to their employees about customer service as a lot of people get high anxiety when flying and they should be very understanding and polite! I did enjoy the planes layout as it was 2 seats only so you didn’t have to sit with a stranger. Also no movies both ways, first time I’ve ever been on a plane and not have a show or movie to watch!
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"old planes with terrible service"

Not Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana return. Flight there - plane turned around after 20 mins. Everyone unloaded and we didn't get on another plane for 6.5 hours. Delayed for an hour for the return flight. Then sat on the plane for an additional hour. Yet again engine problem. I have to stop typing because we're getting off. Without time to explain further, I'll just add old planes with terrible service. What a joke of an airline.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownMay 2019

"not reimbursed us for the seats"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. We will never use Sunwing Travel again! We were forced to pay for another seat the following day due to my son contracting salmonella at Sunwing's resort. The aircraft had empty seats and we where promised by a Sunwing representative that this will not be an extra cost because we purchased insurance. This was all scam as they billed us for the seats anyway and kept hiding behind their policy and have not reimbursed us for the seats. Shame on you Sunwing, I will never use your services again.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownMay 2018

"delay for 6.5 hrs"

Trip Verified | Miami to Toronto. First time and last time we will fly Sunwing. Flight delay for 6.5 hrs. and despite their knowledge did not robo call passengers to notify. We were freezing. I asked Sunwing Rep for blanket. She said no. Waiting 7 hours and freezing. Voucher was for 1 restaurant located outside so had to go through security again to get fed. Another delay was announced. Be transparent Sunwing.
RouteMiami to Toronto

"they are unreliable "

Not Verified | Our 3rd trip with Sunwing. The staff onboard were not the friendliest but the turbulence was bad and there were a lot of people that liked to use the bathroom right when the carts were in the aisle, so I get it. Our return trip was like our last, delayed. We checked out at noon and found out our flight was delayed from 21:00 to 00:50. Our bus was suppose to leave the hotel at 18:00 but changed to 2050. We checked out so couldn’t pay to keep our room (overpriced) Sunwing offered no explanation and no compensation, as usual. This is our last trip with Sunwing, they are unreliable and don’t care about their paying customers.
RouteOttawa to Varadero
Date FlownApril 2019

"last time flying with Sunwing"

Not Verified | Toronto to Miami. Terrible, there were technical difficulties which was fine, but we were stuck on the tarmac for 3 hours. Then they told us we could immediately get on a new airplane, and that we would load immediately. As we were getting off the plane, they told us it would take 2 hours. Those 2 hours became 4 hours and the line would not do anything to ensure we reached our destination on time. They made no effort to help us find another flight or reimburse us in any way. Not to mention that the company then left us sitting at the gate for more time. They then escorted us to baggage claim as there was nothing to be done. From there we waited another 2 hours, and they managed to lose our luggage, made us walk to the other side of the terminal twice, before finally finding our luggage. This was our first and will definitely be our last time flying with Sunwing.
RouteToronto to Miami