Sunwing Airlines

"not given what I paid for"

Not Verified | Toronto to Cancun. Paid for Elite Plus and since they overbooked my seats, I was given another seat which was broken with the leg rest permanently up, going against all safety regulations, not to mention not given what I paid for. Leaving the resort, the shuttle bus did not show up until 1.5hours after the designated time. Meanwhile, no communication was made to the passengers about the delay and when we called from the resort, they lied to us saying first the bus was running late, then it broke down and then it would come at 8:40 am and showed up at 9 am. We arrived at the airport by a miracle, being the last ones to board the plane. When I asked Sunwing via social media what their policy was regarding "delayed buses" (because we strongly believe they just forgot about us and simply did not schedule a pick-up), they said "we do our best to get the transfer bus there as quickly as possible and try to keep passengers informed on what's happening through the destination representative at the resort" Love the world "try", not to mention there was no representative in sight at the resort. In fact, their competitor representatives were all advising us to take a taxi because we would miss our flight. Looking at their social media accounts, I've seen that many people had to indeed pay out of their pockets for a shuttle transfer to the airport because the buses were simply a no-show. Very unprofessional and should not be able to offer all-inclusive packages when they cannot live up to the expectations and required responsibilities.
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2019

"never fly with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Varadero. Will never fly with Sunwing again. This was my 3rd trip down south in 1 year and the worst ever. 1 week before we were set to leave on a direct flight we were advised our return trip would have an extra stop, adding 3 hours to our travel home. Second, our departure from Toronto was delayed 2 hours and on our return to Toronto we were again delayed 3 hours. We had book a huge suite for our arrival home and only got to spend 4 hours in it. Really frustrating. Get it together sunwing.
RouteToronto to Varadero
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | To start, a week before my trip I got a notice that my flight into Cayo Coco is delayed by 9 hours and was offered $50 coupon (4 passengers on booking). The check in assistant didn't print my wife's ticket and I had to go back to get it printed again. I asked about my voucher and was told it would be at the gate. Gate agent said the flight was never delayed and that she doesn't know anything about a voucher. She gave me a really hard time talking to her manager who also said would not be able to come down to talk to me or get me a voucher even though I had an email stating I should be getting one. Gate agent was rude and told me she's not authorized to tell me her name and kept covering her badge. She told me I have to talk to booking to get my voucher. While talking to booking I was told that I can only make a complaint after my trip. Finally the gate agents manager requested that I go outside security to go and request a voucher. With 20 minutes to boarding I told her that I've had enough of being put through all the runaround and I'm not missing my flight. The agent was adiment about getting my name so I told her that im done and if she wants my name she will have to give me hers, she refused. Seats were terrible, my butt still hurts till today, and the headrest was digging into my shoulders as it was too low for a guy that's 6'4". Never again, I would not recommend this airline or the products they offer.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco
Date FlownMay 2019

"cancel flights on short notice"

Trip Verified | I understand that Sunwing "charter" can cancel flights on short notice (note terms and conditions permit any schedule changes up to 12-hours prior to flight). However, this should be a rare event (as reliability for most airlines is important). If it's too frequent it makes their schedules and bookings are effectively meaningless (but if you as a customer want to change your flight you pay a massive cancellation fees). Only book with this airline if you are OK random and substantial schedule changes. What is not OK is for Sunwing to cancel flights and not tell either their own customer service staff or customers immediately. When contacting their customer service agents they pretend/think/believe flights are still scheduled (eg. YVR-YYZ JUune 7 7, 2019). Contacted customers service twice and both times stated flight was still going - despite cancelled prior to Monday May 20. You have to then demand the customer service staff check and tell them you know the flights been cancelled before they will double check the status with Sunwing flight services/scheduling directly. At which point they confirm - yeah flight has been cancelled. It appears as though, Sunwing wont contact customers until the last minute - see other complaints (4 days prior to flight) where it is possible that Sunwing knew well before that time that the flights were cancelled / changed / rescheduled already.
Date FlownMay 2019

"never book with them again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. Just don't bother. Booked at a reasonable price back in March. Supposed to depart Toronto at 8pm on Sunday May 26th. Today, Wednesday May 22nd, they phoned me to cancel our flight. Four days before with no explanation. They said they could reschedule is for the next available day, the 30th, 4 days later! We had to be back in Vancouver for work so obviously this wasn't going to work. They gave us a full refund, but at this point four days before departure, flights are at least three times as much. Now we have to pay at least an additional 700 dollars out of pocket. No help from customer service. Said they couldn't offer us anything more. Well that's ridiculous. If they really wanted to keep us as customers they could pay a little extra, knowing that we have to pay all that money now ourselves in order to make it back to Vancouver. They may have saved themselves a couple hundred bucks in the short term but I will never book with them again.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownMay 2019

"rude and impolite response"

Trip Verified | I have booked a flight on March 31 for a round trip from Vancouver to Toronto for May 24 and return on June 02 and i paid it off full on the day of booking. Just a week before my flight on May 17 i got an email that this flights (Flight 802/807) are cancelled and you have choice to reschedule it to June 07 or get refund of your money that will take 7 business days to return to my account. .I had to be in Toronto on May 25 so i was not able to reschedule it. Suppose that if you want to get a ticket from Vancouver to Toronto just a few days of your flight it cost you fortune since i could get the same ticket two month ago that i booked Sunwing Airlines with half price. I called several times to convey my issue and concern but i only got a very rude and impolite response from the agent without any explanation and said this is what it is and go do whatever you want.
Date FlownAugust 2018

"will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to St. Lucia. Our flight to St. Lucia was supposed to leave at 11 am. The flight was delayed due to mechanical issues with no updated departure time given. Sunwing offered food vouchers for the food court which was nice but there was probably 300 or more people on the flight. We all had to line up to get these vouchers from the few Sunwing staff that were working. They then told us the flight would be delayed until 10:30 pm that night. They offered hotel vouchers for those who came from out of town. Again we had to wait in line for these. It was pure chaos. None of the staff seemed to know what was going on or how to deal with the situation. This delay threw off the entire beginning of our trip. We were exhausted after being up for 24 hours straight and we missed an entire night at our resort. Sunwing did offer us $200 vouchers for the inconvenience but when we went to use these we found out they had to convert them to USD and that we could only use 65% of it towards an excursion on our trip. The plane we flew back on was dirty, the AC stopped working at one point, the seatbelt lights and reading lights did not work at all and we were not offered a meal even though the flight was over dinner time. I have no idea how this airline is still in business and I will never fly with them again. Spend a little more money and fly with another airline!
RouteToronto to St. Lucia
Date FlownMay 2019

"refuse to compensate us"

Trip Verified | My wife's friend is getting married in Toronto in May of 2019. Upon hearing the news, we booked the most value flight we can find online. We thought we scored a deal with Sunwing for $700 (after fees, taxes) for both of us. Flight leaves Vancouver for Toronto on May 18 and return on May 27. A couple of weeks ago, early May, Sunwing called and said our return flight was cancelled. They gave a full refund and a $100 voucher as compensation. We did managed to find a more expensive return flight but still within our budget. Sunwing assured us that the Vancouver to Toronto is still on. Two days from our departure date, Sunwing called and now says our Vancouver to Toronto flight was cancelled. They offered a next day flight but we would miss the wedding reception. I told them that was unacceptable yet they refuse to compensate us the difference with a competitor flight. Not only that, they didn't even offer another $100 voucher for the inconvenience. The agent refused to give anything and the manager was even less helpful. They were just stone cold and probably laughing at our misfortune behind the phone. We're now paying for a much more expensive last minute flight to get to Toronto, have to book another night at a hotel, and additional day of car rental.

"worst experience travelling"

Not Verified | We had the worst experience travelling with this joke of a airlines. We were coming home from vacation, from Punta Cana. We boarded the plane along with other 300 people. First of all, it wasn't even a Sunwing plane. Sunwing uses old planes of airlines that went out of business. Very old plane, you realize as soon as you enter it. We took our seats and plane started to move to depart, all the sudden, the lights were off and AC stopped working. Everybody on the plane went silent, 20 min later pilot informed us that the generator wasn't working, it stared to get hot on the plane. 20 more min and pilot said that problem was fixed and we can fly to Toronto now, we took off, and 15 min into the flight, pilot announcted that we were returing to Punta Cana as the navigation wasn't working. We returned to Punta, sat on the tarmac for 3-hours, pilot was scrambling to figure out what to do. After hours of waiting we had to leave, collect our luggage, and go to a hotel for the night (after literal hours and hours of waiting, to get off the plane, go thru customs again, collect luggage, board a bus to a hotel) It was a nightmare. We returned home following day and I will never fly with Sun Wing again.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto

"No customer service"

Not Verified | Upgraded to business class and was very pleased with the seats. Older but lots of leg room. Food is good no issues at all. On the way to Punta Cana the service was okay, on the way back I was shocked. No customer service at all. We were delayed an hour and I understand that happens but nobody told us why or what was going on until people started to get upset. Didn’t offer water or anything and it was very hot. I was at the front and the flight attendants all just talked to each other the whole flight ignoring people. I had to ask for water 3 times at one point and they just said okay then not get me any. No smiles, no how are you? Just rude! Maybe Sunwing should have a talk to their employees about customer service as a lot of people get high anxiety when flying and they should be very understanding and polite! I did enjoy the planes layout as it was 2 seats only so you didn’t have to sit with a stranger. Also no movies both ways, first time I’ve ever been on a plane and not have a show or movie to watch!
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto