Sunwing Airlines

"Disgusting customer service"

Not Verified | Booked a simple weekend trip to Vancouver to see family, leaving Friday evening, returning Monday early morning to avoid missing any work. Sunwing Airlines proceeded to change our flight to extremely early Friday morning and very late Monday night. When called they advised me that we agreed to flight time changes and there was nothing they could do for us. Disgusting customer service, they gave us what they call a "premium" upgrade and were so gracious as to let us choose to sit together on our flights. Word to the wise pay a bit more and book with someone else. I will say it again, never make the mistake of booking with this 'travel' company.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJune 2019

"mismanaged, incompetent"

Trip Verified | Punta Cana to Toronto. If you’re thinking of booking a flight with Sunwing Airlines don’t! They are the most mismanaged, incompetent airline. The flight was supposed to land in Toronto from Punta Cana at 4:15pm today. Rescheduled to 6:38pm. Then on the day of the flight rescheduled again to taking off at 7:30pm landing here in Toronto at 12:30 am Monday morning. Then rescheduled once more... now landing at 1:30am. To say I’m furious is an understatement. It’s like they’re flying a bus and just keep delaying to take on more passengers.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2019

"flight is cancelled"

Not Verified | Toronto to Mexico. Booked my trip 2 months ago with sunwing to Mexico June 1 2019. Departure time 6:15am. We got a call just 12 hours before departure telling us flight is cancelled and can reschedule for the Next day June 2. Fine. But now sitting here wondering what next. So many reviews on here about flight changes, cancellations and inconveniences. Not even sure if I will be relaxed on my vacation worrying about how I’m getting back home! Now that is if the new date and time does not change.
RouteToronto to Mexico
Date FlownMay 2019

"unacceptable to be treated this way"

Trip Verified | Our flight from Puerto Vallarta (PVR) to Vancouver (YVR) has been changed from Sunday 8:15 PM to 7:30 AM (12:45 hours in advance) and this has cause me and my husband to shorter my paid vacation by 1 day. We have been forced to wake up at 2 AM on Sunday morning in order to take the transportation to the airport. It is unacceptable to be treated in this way since nobody has even informed us that the flight has been changed and we've found out the news from other people in the pool. We were very close to miss our flight that day. Therefore , it is the airline responsibility to reimburse us for the time and money lost since our dream vacation has been ruined .
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Vancouver

"delayed for 6hrs"

Not Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. It's one thing to have a flight delayed for 2hrs but to have it delayed for 6hrs and not keeping passengers updated is another thing all together. This is our 3rd trip with Sunwing in the last 4 years and we have not had any complains in the past. The service provided this time was quiet unacceptable especially at the beginning of a vacation that we paid a lot of money for. Still waiting for a "Sunwing Cares" rep to contact me. It's been over 3 weeks. I have family and friends that refuse to fly with Sunwing and have chosen other airlines.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownApril 2019

"not given what I paid for"

Not Verified | Toronto to Cancun. Paid for Elite Plus and since they overbooked my seats, I was given another seat which was broken with the leg rest permanently up, going against all safety regulations, not to mention not given what I paid for. Leaving the resort, the shuttle bus did not show up until 1.5hours after the designated time. Meanwhile, no communication was made to the passengers about the delay and when we called from the resort, they lied to us saying first the bus was running late, then it broke down and then it would come at 8:40 am and showed up at 9 am. We arrived at the airport by a miracle, being the last ones to board the plane. When I asked Sunwing via social media what their policy was regarding "delayed buses" (because we strongly believe they just forgot about us and simply did not schedule a pick-up), they said "we do our best to get the transfer bus there as quickly as possible and try to keep passengers informed on what's happening through the destination representative at the resort" Love the world "try", not to mention there was no representative in sight at the resort. In fact, their competitor representatives were all advising us to take a taxi because we would miss our flight. Looking at their social media accounts, I've seen that many people had to indeed pay out of their pockets for a shuttle transfer to the airport because the buses were simply a no-show. Very unprofessional and should not be able to offer all-inclusive packages when they cannot live up to the expectations and required responsibilities.
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2019

"never fly with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Varadero. Will never fly with Sunwing again. This was my 3rd trip down south in 1 year and the worst ever. 1 week before we were set to leave on a direct flight we were advised our return trip would have an extra stop, adding 3 hours to our travel home. Second, our departure from Toronto was delayed 2 hours and on our return to Toronto we were again delayed 3 hours. We had book a huge suite for our arrival home and only got to spend 4 hours in it. Really frustrating. Get it together sunwing.
RouteToronto to Varadero
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | To start, a week before my trip I got a notice that my flight into Cayo Coco is delayed by 9 hours and was offered $50 coupon (4 passengers on booking). The check in assistant didn't print my wife's ticket and I had to go back to get it printed again. I asked about my voucher and was told it would be at the gate. Gate agent said the flight was never delayed and that she doesn't know anything about a voucher. She gave me a really hard time talking to her manager who also said would not be able to come down to talk to me or get me a voucher even though I had an email stating I should be getting one. Gate agent was rude and told me she's not authorized to tell me her name and kept covering her badge. She told me I have to talk to booking to get my voucher. While talking to booking I was told that I can only make a complaint after my trip. Finally the gate agents manager requested that I go outside security to go and request a voucher. With 20 minutes to boarding I told her that I've had enough of being put through all the runaround and I'm not missing my flight. The agent was adiment about getting my name so I told her that im done and if she wants my name she will have to give me hers, she refused. Seats were terrible, my butt still hurts till today, and the headrest was digging into my shoulders as it was too low for a guy that's 6'4". Never again, I would not recommend this airline or the products they offer.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco
Date FlownMay 2019

"cancel flights on short notice"

Trip Verified | I understand that Sunwing "charter" can cancel flights on short notice (note terms and conditions permit any schedule changes up to 12-hours prior to flight). However, this should be a rare event (as reliability for most airlines is important). If it's too frequent it makes their schedules and bookings are effectively meaningless (but if you as a customer want to change your flight you pay a massive cancellation fees). Only book with this airline if you are OK random and substantial schedule changes. What is not OK is for Sunwing to cancel flights and not tell either their own customer service staff or customers immediately. When contacting their customer service agents they pretend/think/believe flights are still scheduled (eg. YVR-YYZ JUune 7 7, 2019). Contacted customers service twice and both times stated flight was still going - despite cancelled prior to Monday May 20. You have to then demand the customer service staff check and tell them you know the flights been cancelled before they will double check the status with Sunwing flight services/scheduling directly. At which point they confirm - yeah flight has been cancelled. It appears as though, Sunwing wont contact customers until the last minute - see other complaints (4 days prior to flight) where it is possible that Sunwing knew well before that time that the flights were cancelled / changed / rescheduled already.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"never book with them again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. Just don't bother. Booked at a reasonable price back in March. Supposed to depart Toronto at 8pm on Sunday May 26th. Today, Wednesday May 22nd, they phoned me to cancel our flight. Four days before with no explanation. They said they could reschedule is for the next available day, the 30th, 4 days later! We had to be back in Vancouver for work so obviously this wasn't going to work. They gave us a full refund, but at this point four days before departure, flights are at least three times as much. Now we have to pay at least an additional 700 dollars out of pocket. No help from customer service. Said they couldn't offer us anything more. Well that's ridiculous. If they really wanted to keep us as customers they could pay a little extra, knowing that we have to pay all that money now ourselves in order to make it back to Vancouver. They may have saved themselves a couple hundred bucks in the short term but I will never book with them again.
RouteToronto to Vancouver