Sunwing Airlines

"extremely intoxicated behaviour"

Not Verified | We arrived to the airport the date of Feb 6 2020 to board our Sunwing flight leaving from Montego Bay to Toronto Our initial flight was scheduled to leave at 3:50pm and arrive in Toronto at 8:00pm. As we got there around 2:00pm, we were not notified of any delays as we entered through security/customs. (I had "text and email alerts from Sunwing" that NEVER once notified me of any updates and changes.) Upon arrival into the terminal we were told our flight was delayed. But no one had a reasoning as to why it was. It was about a 3 hour delay. We waited for the time frame that they posted would be our boarding time, to only find out that it was delayed AGAIN! Every time we spoke to people, they had different answers on the reasoning of this. (either the flight we were supposed to be on had to be used for another flight, the flight is delayed flying in, or the flight was experiencing "mechanical issues". Time kept ticking by, and as it went over the 3 hour mark where we are supposed to be compensated for this extensive delay with a food voucher, the Sunwing staff was incapable of giving us real answers and helping us understand the issues that were occurring. We had to legit BEG for these food vouchers of $15. Whats great about Montego Bay airport Is that the airport officially closes at 5:00pm. This means no one can leave to reenter security, all the restaurants close as all the flights are typically done and out by that timeframe. It was well over 5:00pm and we were still waiting for food vouchers to be released. We did receive the vouchers until 7:30-8:00pm! By that time nothing was open. We were the only people in the airport. We sat there. Waiting for updates. Absolutely nothing. At 8:45pm was the first real update on what was going on. The flaps on the plane were defective. They all refused to let us leave the airport, to stay a night somewhere and get the next flight in the morning. Their grand idea was to make us wait to arrange an empty plane from Cuba, gather last minute staff for that flight and fly to Montego Bay to get us and take us home. Of course, you can only imagine how long that would take. Our flight continued to get pushed back more and more "11:45pm" they promised we would be boarding. Thats over 8 hours waiting in an empty airport with no food, they did not provide any water. You can only imagine the amount of families and older aged people on the plane who had to sit around for this time frame with little to no updates and zero care.. During this long and dreadful wait, there were patrons on our plane who got into their duty free purchases. One gentlemen was extremely intoxicated by 11:45pm. Dancing around, singing to the top of his lungs, causing nonsense, disturbing people's space. Of course no one was around to monitor his behaviour except the other drunk friends he was with. As we were boarding the plane after midnight, I had let the flight attendants of the his extremely intoxicated behaviour. Which mind you, is extremely illegal to board a plane when you are this drunk. They thanked me for letting them know of this occurrence, and proceeded to let him on the flight? I wish they would have even taken initiative to at least talk to him about his behaviour as it was extremely disrespectful to the other patrons on the flight that had to deal with him the rest of the way home. We were supposed to be home at 8:00pm on Feb 6, and did not get into Toronto until Feb 7 at 5:30am
RouteMontego Bay to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Everyone was stressed, frustrated and annoyed"

Not Verified | 3 hour delay for no reason given. No apology from crew for the 3 hour delay. Sticky and dirty trays which I used wipes to scrub and clean. Rude flight attendants: not polite, speak with a rude tone, rushing through while people are waiting to use the washroom. Continue to close the blind making it uncomfortable to use the washroom, while waiting for the washroom, flight attendants continued to close the blind and speak about cutting off the use of the washroom so they can finally bring the carts through (which took them 1.5 hours to even offer water and no one was waiting for the washrooms for over 45 mins during take off and stable elevation). Not a good choice of dinner. Who eats sandwiches for dinner? Luckily we purchased dinner at Punta Cana airport. Headphones purchased weren't working. No movie playing. When leaving Toronto and arriving into Toronto, we had to leave the terminal in the freezing cold with no coats to get on a shuttle to take us to terminal 3. I wish we had been mentioned this before we booked with Sunwing. It was a horrible experience. Everyone was stressed, frustrated and annoyed.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"experience was absolutely horrendous"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. Would not recommend Sunwing at all. If you can go with another airline do so. Customer service is the last of their priority. No one to help you when you have a problem. Delay, delay delay. No one knows what’s going on . Always the same excuse (maintenance) We had an issue with a massive delay, their resolution was a $15 voucher. Which was to be used within the airport. When we tried to use it, it was only applicable to one store which had already been closed. Then again, no help, no service. Their resolution was to make things worse. We’ve travelled with Sunwing before and it has been acceptable but this experience was absolutely horrendous No point in the headache when there are others out there. Again would not recommend!
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not offered any compensation"

Trip Verified | Ixtapa to Toronto. Our flight was delayed over three hours on February 20th. The ground crew in Ixtapa kept telling us that they had maintenance issues with the plane and had to turn around and go back to Toronto. When we finally boarded the plane I asked the flight crew about the maintenance delay with the plane. They said that was not true but in fact the previous crew was over the hours they are allowed to work so therefore the Halifax crew was called to work this flight. Too bad Sunwing in Ixtapa couldn’t be more forthcoming with their answers. We were not offered any compensation at all for the delay.
RouteIxtapa to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I will never fly Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Varadero. We flew out Saturday jan 18 of 2020 only to be delayed five hours out of Hamilton airport was to arrive at 7pm but landed at 1230 am then we get through customs go to retrieve suitcase not there. Then when we were to fly back home we were to land at 12 midnight but it was 3.30 in the morning, so overall eight hours lost plus suitcase for three days. Put in a compensation report to sunwing they reply back is no compensation. I've never experienced such bad service. I will never fly Sunwing airlines again.
RouteHamilton to Varadero
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"last time we fly with this airline"

Trip Verified | Although you sign up for flight alerts you never get them. My husband and I live 2 hours away from the airport, and I always check online to save time but it never fails, flights with sunwing are always delayed. Boarding was a nightmare, my husband and I go on vacation once or twice a year, and this is definitely the last time we fly with this airline. We always fly from terminal 3, but this time, without any warning we were packed like sardines onto a shuttle bus and driven to a part of the airport I never new existed, and kept there waiting. Back from our two week vacation in Puerto Vallarta, our flight was late again. We were picked up from our resort at 5 PM just minutes away from the airport, our flight started boarding over 4 hours later, by then I had already made up my mind I would never fly with Sunwing again. When I checked our luggage I was told it was over the allowed weight by about a kilo or so, I asked If I could pay for the Elite Plus seats which allows extra weight, he said no, and charged me $156 extra, $78 for each bag. seats on the plane are uncomfortable, retrieving your luggage at the airport takes hours. When we fly with other airlines our luggage is there waiting for us when we're done checking in. I would give this airline the rating of minus one if I could.
RoutePuerto Vaĺlarta to Toronto

"staff were amazing"

Not Verified | Recently flew Sunwing from Montreal to Santa Clara Cuba with Sunwing for an all inclusive vacation. Flights were all on time and staff were amazing. We also had to move from our resort due to power issues in Cuba and the Sunwing Rep , Milvy made it a very easy ordeal.
RouteMontreal to Santa Clara
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"an out of date airline"

(Cayman Islands)

Trip Verified | Toronto to Montego Bay. Terrible airline and won't fly with them again. Tickets and website say you can check in on-line but it wasn't working when I tried. No option to check in or choose seats. They warn you that tickets will have to be printed, no electronic tickets. In this electronic age, this just isn't acceptable. We live 2hrs from the airport so leave early not knowing what the weather/drive would be like. I had downloaded the Sunwing app and also signed up for alerts from Pearson Airport. As we arrived at the airport I got notification from Pearson that our flight was delayed an hour but nothing from Sunwing. We couldn't check in at the kiosks and had to go to the desk where I got attitude from the agent. Sunwing is supposed to fly out of Terminal 3 but we find out that we actually have to take a shuttle from T3 to "infield concourse". Basically no man's land. We check it out and are told by staff not to go over until 1 hr before our flight because it's small and doesn't have much there. Sounds logical. We find out at that point that our flight is further delayed another hour. In talking to others at the airport on the way home, we find out there were $20 vouchers provided for the late flight from Toronto but it was only announced once in the "infield concourse". So we didn't hear it because we were in the main terminal as we were told to stay there. As it was, the only options to spend the $20 vouchers was overpriced junk food and grab and go because there are no other food options at the infield concourse. When we finally depart it's over 2 hrs from our original flight time. Seats are uncomfortable and lacking in padding. In flight entertainment consists of re-runs of sitcoms. We arrive in Montego Bay very late.... and our checked baggage is no where to be found. There were at least 5 others who also did not receive their luggage. The attendant in MB was in no hurry to help even though it was late and people were frustrated. He would only help one person at a time. We did eventually get our luggage late the next day. A horrible start to our vacation. On the way back to home, our flight was also late leaving but no info provided at all. The flight wasn't full but the seating didn't make any sense. Some rows had 2 people crammed in them while others only had 1 person on in them. The flight attendants wouldn't let people change seats. Back to no man's land and onto a shuttle bus back to T3. It's clear that Sunwing is an out of date airline who has been exiled from the mainstream operations at Pearson.
RouteToronto to Montego Bay
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"trying to forget this trip ever happened"

Trip Verified | Flew from Toronto to Cancun Feb 6th 2020. worst travel experience in my life. I will never travel with Sunwing again and will warn anyone and everyone about this airline. Our flight was delayed 2.5+ hours as we were stuck on the plane for this duration all that was offered was one tiny cookie. I forgot my phone on the plane and informed Sunwing ASAP about this. The only response I got from Sunwing was we're looking into this. Emailed throughout the week to me. They responded on the day before we were to fly out that they don't have it and to check with Toronto Pearson lost and found. Once we arrived we asked a Sunwing rep at baggage where lost and found was and she just pointed and said that way. We asked a Toronto Pearson security guard he then informed us that lost and found is closed but that we can file a claim online so I go online to find out that I need contact the airline for items lost on the plane. So I've been running around in circles trying to get an answer. Since we got to our resort extremely late and we had a long day of travel we were unable to attend the meeting the next morning. I checked daily looking for our rep who I never found until the day before our departure. Since we had a private transfer I asked the time for our pick up and was given the wrong time. On our return flight, I got up before the plane was moving just after we boarded to go to the washroom. The flight attendant at first refused and said I couldn't use the washroom. Then I was given attitude and was told that I need to move fast because we are leaving now. I moved quickly. I get back to my seat and we haven't moved, we're not even close to moving. She had zero issues letting the 10 other people who went well after me. Then come the drinks and coffee she fully ignores me asking for a drink when her cart reaches my row serves A, B, C, D, skips E and serves F. and rolls the cart away. I have so much more to say about this horrible experience but because it was an absolute nightmare I'm trying to forget this trip with Sunwing ever happened. My advice pay the extra and fly with WestJet or Air Transat. They are worth spending the extra money!
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Awful, awful, awful experience"

Not Verified | Cancun to Toronto with Sunwing Airlines. Awful, awful, awful experience. Major delays on both ends of travel. Pick up from hotel was over an hour late. More than an hour to get luggage back when at Pearson. Never fly with this airline. So terrible.
RouteCancun to Toronto