Sunwing Airlines

"not offered any compensation"

Trip Verified | Ixtapa to Toronto. Our flight was delayed over three hours on February 20th. The ground crew in Ixtapa kept telling us that they had maintenance issues with the plane and had to turn around and go back to Toronto. When we finally boarded the plane I asked the flight crew about the maintenance delay with the plane. They said that was not true but in fact the previous crew was over the hours they are allowed to work so therefore the Halifax crew was called to work this flight. Too bad Sunwing in Ixtapa couldn’t be more forthcoming with their answers. We were not offered any compensation at all for the delay.
RouteIxtapa to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I will never fly Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Varadero. We flew out Saturday jan 18 of 2020 only to be delayed five hours out of Hamilton airport was to arrive at 7pm but landed at 1230 am then we get through customs go to retrieve suitcase not there. Then when we were to fly back home we were to land at 12 midnight but it was 3.30 in the morning, so overall eight hours lost plus suitcase for three days. Put in a compensation report to sunwing they reply back is no compensation. I've never experienced such bad service. I will never fly Sunwing airlines again.
RouteHamilton to Varadero
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"last time we fly with this airline"

Trip Verified | Although you sign up for flight alerts you never get them. My husband and I live 2 hours away from the airport, and I always check online to save time but it never fails, flights with sunwing are always delayed. Boarding was a nightmare, my husband and I go on vacation once or twice a year, and this is definitely the last time we fly with this airline. We always fly from terminal 3, but this time, without any warning we were packed like sardines onto a shuttle bus and driven to a part of the airport I never new existed, and kept there waiting. Back from our two week vacation in Puerto Vallarta, our flight was late again. We were picked up from our resort at 5 PM just minutes away from the airport, our flight started boarding over 4 hours later, by then I had already made up my mind I would never fly with Sunwing again. When I checked our luggage I was told it was over the allowed weight by about a kilo or so, I asked If I could pay for the Elite Plus seats which allows extra weight, he said no, and charged me $156 extra, $78 for each bag. seats on the plane are uncomfortable, retrieving your luggage at the airport takes hours. When we fly with other airlines our luggage is there waiting for us when we're done checking in. I would give this airline the rating of minus one if I could.
RoutePuerto Vaĺlarta to Toronto

"staff were amazing"

Not Verified | Recently flew Sunwing from Montreal to Santa Clara Cuba with Sunwing for an all inclusive vacation. Flights were all on time and staff were amazing. We also had to move from our resort due to power issues in Cuba and the Sunwing Rep , Milvy made it a very easy ordeal.
RouteMontreal to Santa Clara
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"an out of date airline"

(Cayman Islands)

Trip Verified | Toronto to Montego Bay. Terrible airline and won't fly with them again. Tickets and website say you can check in on-line but it wasn't working when I tried. No option to check in or choose seats. They warn you that tickets will have to be printed, no electronic tickets. In this electronic age, this just isn't acceptable. We live 2hrs from the airport so leave early not knowing what the weather/drive would be like. I had downloaded the Sunwing app and also signed up for alerts from Pearson Airport. As we arrived at the airport I got notification from Pearson that our flight was delayed an hour but nothing from Sunwing. We couldn't check in at the kiosks and had to go to the desk where I got attitude from the agent. Sunwing is supposed to fly out of Terminal 3 but we find out that we actually have to take a shuttle from T3 to "infield concourse". Basically no man's land. We check it out and are told by staff not to go over until 1 hr before our flight because it's small and doesn't have much there. Sounds logical. We find out at that point that our flight is further delayed another hour. In talking to others at the airport on the way home, we find out there were $20 vouchers provided for the late flight from Toronto but it was only announced once in the "infield concourse". So we didn't hear it because we were in the main terminal as we were told to stay there. As it was, the only options to spend the $20 vouchers was overpriced junk food and grab and go because there are no other food options at the infield concourse. When we finally depart it's over 2 hrs from our original flight time. Seats are uncomfortable and lacking in padding. In flight entertainment consists of re-runs of sitcoms. We arrive in Montego Bay very late.... and our checked baggage is no where to be found. There were at least 5 others who also did not receive their luggage. The attendant in MB was in no hurry to help even though it was late and people were frustrated. He would only help one person at a time. We did eventually get our luggage late the next day. A horrible start to our vacation. On the way back to home, our flight was also late leaving but no info provided at all. The flight wasn't full but the seating didn't make any sense. Some rows had 2 people crammed in them while others only had 1 person on in them. The flight attendants wouldn't let people change seats. Back to no man's land and onto a shuttle bus back to T3. It's clear that Sunwing is an out of date airline who has been exiled from the mainstream operations at Pearson.
RouteToronto to Montego Bay
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"trying to forget this trip ever happened"

Trip Verified | Flew from Toronto to Cancun Feb 6th 2020. worst travel experience in my life. I will never travel with Sunwing again and will warn anyone and everyone about this airline. Our flight was delayed 2.5+ hours as we were stuck on the plane for this duration all that was offered was one tiny cookie. I forgot my phone on the plane and informed Sunwing ASAP about this. The only response I got from Sunwing was we're looking into this. Emailed throughout the week to me. They responded on the day before we were to fly out that they don't have it and to check with Toronto Pearson lost and found. Once we arrived we asked a Sunwing rep at baggage where lost and found was and she just pointed and said that way. We asked a Toronto Pearson security guard he then informed us that lost and found is closed but that we can file a claim online so I go online to find out that I need contact the airline for items lost on the plane. So I've been running around in circles trying to get an answer. Since we got to our resort extremely late and we had a long day of travel we were unable to attend the meeting the next morning. I checked daily looking for our rep who I never found until the day before our departure. Since we had a private transfer I asked the time for our pick up and was given the wrong time. On our return flight, I got up before the plane was moving just after we boarded to go to the washroom. The flight attendant at first refused and said I couldn't use the washroom. Then I was given attitude and was told that I need to move fast because we are leaving now. I moved quickly. I get back to my seat and we haven't moved, we're not even close to moving. She had zero issues letting the 10 other people who went well after me. Then come the drinks and coffee she fully ignores me asking for a drink when her cart reaches my row serves A, B, C, D, skips E and serves F. and rolls the cart away. I have so much more to say about this horrible experience but because it was an absolute nightmare I'm trying to forget this trip with Sunwing ever happened. My advice pay the extra and fly with WestJet or Air Transat. They are worth spending the extra money!
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Awful, awful, awful experience"

Not Verified | Cancun to Toronto with Sunwing Airlines. Awful, awful, awful experience. Major delays on both ends of travel. Pick up from hotel was over an hour late. More than an hour to get luggage back when at Pearson. Never fly with this airline. So terrible.
RouteCancun to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I will never use Sunwing again"

Not Verified | My husband and I flew from Sudbury to Cuba in December 2013. I was 26 weeks pregnant. We had an early flight from Sudbury so we got to the airport early. Well of course our plane was delayed and we were provided with a lunch voucher since we had to wait that much longer. We were supposed to arrive in Cuba at 5:00pm. We eventually got picked up by a large 1/4 full plane from Sudbury, got flown to Ottawa, had to get off the plane at the Ottawa airport, and wait for them to get boarded onto the plane. It was approx 11:00pm at this time and we were stuck in the waiting area at the airport. Again, keep in mind that I was 26 weeks pregnant and they didn't provide any sort of meal or meal voucher since lunch time. We finally got everyone boarded in Ottawa and took off. Once we were in the air we were offered their generous champagne for the champagne flight! (about 2 oz of alcohol?). Around 2:00 am we were served food. In a nutshell, I waited from lunch until 2:00 am to be offered any sort of food on this trip. We finally arrived at the resort at 5:00 am (12 hours later than expected. Luckily the resort was top notch (Royalton in Cayo Santa Maria) and offered 24 hour food. Sunwing is disgusting with how they treat their passengers. No explanation for these delays and never a response to the many emails I sent. I will never use Sunwing again. We usually travel 2x/year.
RouteSudbury to Cuba
Date FlownMarch 2019

"really horrible travel"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Cancun. That was really horrible travel with this airline, 2 hrs delay when we had a flight to Cancun, more than 4 hrs on the way back to Toronto. So unorganized and unprofessional. We usually go vacation 4 times a year and the first time flight with Sunwing but never ever again travel with Sunwing, worse experience ever, feeling really sick and exhausted, I missed my workday because of the delay.
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"never fly with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience, would not recommend Sunwing as a tour operator for All-Inclusive holidays. Trying to be creative in saving money, Sunwing started combining flights from Toronto to two different destinations (although the TripCentral web-site, were we bought our vacation packages showed 'Direct flight') - in our case they detoured us through Los Cabos before dropping off in our final destination of Ixtapa (Los Cabos and Ixtapa are almost 2 hrs of flight apart). We had to go through the customs in Los Cabos, collect our luggage and go through the whole check-in routing again. Normal flight that should take 5 hrs, took 9-10 hours instead, and for that time it would have been easier to fly to Europe. The crew only gave us soft drinks during the whole ordeal and as a bonus - tiny packs of cookies during the second leg of the journey. Due to lack of time in the interim destination they did not clean seats properly and the magazine pocket of my seat 28F contained traces of snacks from the previous passenger. On the way back fellow-passengers who flew from Toronto to Las Cabos via Ixtapa, had to disembark at Ixtapa, go through all that jazz with customs/luggage/check-in and in addition customs took away all the goods bought at the Duty Free in Toronto and charged them penalty. Instead of taking responsibility, Sunwing crew blamed Mexico customs. As far as I my family concerned, we will never fly with Sunwing again.
RouteToronto to Ixtapa