Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

Worst airline service I have had. Their own flight delays forced me to miss connections (their own connections). I had to stay overnight at a hotel in FLL at my own cost. A group of 10-15 dissatisfied customers went up to the supervisor to ask for help or some coverage of hotel fees and he said there was nothing he could do. Staff at the gates in LGA and FLL and flight attendants were very unfriendly and some were even rude.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flew to Vegas with my family (10 of us) it was my first time flying with Spirit I was always used to a 50 lb limit on our checked bag but with Spirit it was 40 so that was $50 bucks each way not including the $30 each way for the checked bag to begin with. $10 for each reserved seat so I could sit with my husband which I had to upgrade coming home to $18 a seat because on the way there we were so cramped our knees were literally touching the seat in front on us for 5.5 hours. I have never been so uncomfortable on a plane. Then when I asked for a water the flight attendant told me it was $3 and they do not accept cash. My tickets were roughly $650 after all the up charges it came to about $866. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am not sure how this airline stays in business except for people like me who have never flown with them before - I booked my trip at the last minute to see my first grand child. I went through Kayak who promotes them greatly. The fare was very good and I have flown SW Airlines and understand the cheap airlines. In total my flights were over 5 hours delayed - cheap and you get what you pay for!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Feb 15 2014 I flew from ORD to LAX. The flight was the first one of the day. After 5 hours delay we boarded the plane and were told that a credit of $100 was going to be issued to us for a future reservation. I never received anything. I called Spirit and asked for the voucher number. Now the amount is $50! The customer service told me to call the airport and complain to them because the airport is responsible for issuing those vouchers. The customer service is terrible. Never again unless I really have no choice I rather spend more money than use Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Most of the other reviews spoke about extra fees and late flights - which we also experienced in our flights from FLL to/from Montego Bay Jamaica. Our biggest complaints are about the poor quality of the flight attendants. On the flight down after everyone was all settled into their seats suddenly a passenger was told to move to the middle seat between myself and another passenger even though plenty of empty aisle seats were available nearby. When I asked why he couldn't take 1 of those seats we were told by a rude flight attendant "those aren't zone 1 he needs to sit there to balance the weight - and we're all waiting for you to move so he can sit there and get the flight moving". Later on the same flight my wife asked the attendant what the flight number was (in order to complete immigration form) and the response was "it's on your boarding pass" - even the passengers nearby commented on the rudeness. On the return flight today as we were boarding our flight a passenger was putting his bags right over our bulkhead seats - when my wife asked him if he could move them down a row as we needed to put all of bags in the overhead bin - he pointed to the 2 rows of crew bags on his side and asked the crew if it was ok to put his bags where he did - the crew response was "you can put your bags anywhere she doesn't have a right to ask you to move them". Their response was catty and unprofessional. We paid extra for the front seats but with the crew bags blocking the bins the benefit of being up there was minimized. To make matters worse the crew allowed a passenger to board without a proper passport and sloppily went through the safety checks during the flight. As for us we will never fly Spirit again the low fares are a mirage after the additional fees are factored in and the horrible customer experience we had on both flights was appalling.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Did all my homework knew the rules about additional charges figured all the whiners just had not understood how Spirit Airlines operates. So after my wife and I spent hours shopping to find a bag that fits well within the 12x14x16 dimensions identified on their website for the free carry-on they charged her $100 that we can ill afford at check-in this morning. You're trapped there at check-in because you have to fly and they nail you with the punitive at-the-gate check-in charge even though you are in compliance. They make it just about impossible to reach a live human being. I don't care how inexpensive they are. This really feels like they are being intentionally deceptive.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Worst customer service! I clicked checked bag instead of carry on when buying my flight and they charged me an additions $70 at the gate on top of the $30 I had already paid. They told me that was the only other option was to not get on the flight. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I booked two flights from Phoenix to Cancun. On the flight back from Cancun to Phoenix we had a connecting flight in Florida. There was no weather issues but the plane arrived an hour late in picking us up from Cancun. By the time we arrived in Florida their connecting flight had already left. We went to the Spirit customer service desk and were told they couldn't get us another flight home for additional 3 days! Even though it was the airlines fault that they missed their connecting flight they refused to pay for any hotel expenses. Just like any other person we couldn't wait another 3 days to go home because we had to work. We ended up paying $200 for the hotel expenses and $600 to get a flight home from another company. The airport lobby was completely full of upset customers in the same scenario because of Spirit's bad customer service. The customer service agents were so obnoxious and could care less about what was going on. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight from Atlantic City to Ft Lauderdale was fine. Coming home was a completely different story. We arrived at the airport 6 hours prior to our flight because we were returning from a cruise ship. The airport was a total nightmare. I had to print our boarding passes at the kiosk but at 8.50am it showed my 2.50pm flight was already delayed until 4.36pm. No real reason since there was no weather between Florida and New Jersey. Then we had to get in the "fast bag drop" lane and wait 45 minutes. I think they need to reread the dictionary to determine the meaning of fast. The entire time we were waiting for our flight the boards at the airport continued to show our flight was "on time." They cancelled another flight and didn't update that one either. We were leaving out of the same gate and around take off time I saw multiple people for the cancelled flight going up wondering what was going on with their flight. Yet their website was updated. So why the lack of communication with the airport? We were getting ready to board and of course they're oversold and need 2 volunteers fast forward a few minutes and we're on the plane and "boarding is complete." Then a flight attendant comes on and says they need one person to give up their seat. 20 minutes later and after the passengers are all getting antsy a different one comes on and says they need someone to give up their seat. Some good Samaritan finally gives up her seat it was ridiculous that we were held hostage so some woman could get a seat that was rightfully someone else's. Never again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spend a little more money on another airline because Spirit is a rip-off. Charges for everything won't even give you water for free. My husband and I had a 10.30pm flight from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. All Spirit flights were delayed that day - we didn't even board until midnight. The staff didn't seem to care about the delays just laughing and joking with each other in front of their stand as everyone waited and sat on the floor crowding the hallway. The plane bathroom smelt. Go with a more reliable airline instead of Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]