Spirit Airlines

"Will never fly Spirit Airlines again"

Not Verified | Will never fly Spirit Airlines again. They call it one of the cheapest airlines, make sure you know the scale next to the Kiosk is not accurate yet the scale at the counter to check in your bags is what you pay. We had to pay an extra 30$ for 5lbs, will never fly with them again. Their seats are so close to the seats ahead, my husband is 6’3” and was pretty much touching the seat in front of him, luckily I bought his ticket closest to the aisle.
RouteDetroit, MI to Sarasota, FL
Date FlownAugust 2020

"so many bad experiences"

Trip Verified | I have had so many bad experiences with Spirit Airlines and August will be the last time time in my life to ever fly with Spirit. I have been asking for my refund till date they haven't solved my issues yet, bad customer service and I was charged $65 for a pocket book, I could not believe it,. Also i was forced to pay for a seat while trying to checkin online to and from my destinations while during purchase i chose random seats. Will never refer anyone to fly with Spirit Airlines they are a big mess. Bad business i need my money back.
RouteBaltimore to Chicago

"A comfortable flight"

Trip Verified | Houston to Orlando. The pilot kept us notified of expected bumpy weather which I did appreciate. A comfortable flight with a short duration of about two hours. Boarding was fast and swift. We did get a snack I think. I traveled with under the seat luggage. It was an early morning flight and airport was not busy.
RouteHouston to Orlando

"a nice short flight"

Trip Verified | Have a nice short flight with Spirit Airlines from Orlando up to Newark New Jersey. The usual budget travel and I traveled with under the seat small bag. They had scanners for tickets which moved people along quickly. The pilot kept us informed of developments. He included warning about keeping the seat belt on since we might get some bumpy weather.
RouteOrlando to Newark

"help customers like me"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | For some reason I was unable to print my boarding pass with my TSA pre check and Yanel or Janel from Luis Muñoz Marin Airport in PR was so professional and help me with that just want to thank him for taking his time to help customers like me to get everything right on time.
RouteSan Juan PR to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownAugust 2020

"warn everyone to avoid this airline"

Not Verified | Absolute worst. If I could give zero's across the board, I would. Overcharged for baggage, flight delayed several hours, changed from direct to a lay over. Staff was rude and unprofessional. The seat was so short it cut into the back of my thighs and my legs kept falling asleep. Stuck me in a middle seat and the man sitting next to me dumped his beer in my lap. Attendants couldn't be bothered to give me anything to clean up. It didn't help I was returning home from a family members funeral. The process for a 5 hour flight took over 12 hours. Never again and I warn everyone to avoid this airline, in fact avoid Delta, that's who I booked with, nowhere was Spirit Airlines mentioned, so I felt swindled. I couldn't post a review at the time of this flight which was Feb 2018.
RouteCleveland to Seattle via Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"No consistency at all"

Trip Verified | I have used the same suitcase for every flight but on a recent flight, I was made to pay. No consistency at all. I was also told that Spirit no longer accepts bandana masks and encourages to buy a regular mask in the gift shop next to the gate. Again, no consistency, they should notify their passenger before the scheduled flights that they change the rules A flight attendant was braiding her hair, during the entire flight, using a stainless steel coffee pot as a mirror, really unpleasant to watch. Never again. Flying next week with United.
RouteTampa to New Jersey
Date FlownAugust 2020

"The inconsistency is terrible"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Atlanta. I have never had a problem with baggage until now. I have used the same suitcase for every flight but on a recent flight I was made to pay. Several other flyers had bags of the same size and they were not charged. The inconsistency is terrible. The flight attendant informed me it was because my bag had wheels and the others were duffle bags. If you want a CHEAP flight this is the way to go. However don't expect anything but a basic service. Also the flight is packed!
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Atlanta
Date FlownJuly 2020

"I will never use Spirit"

Trip Verified | I brought my mom one way tickets from Puerto Rico to Ohio. My mom is 78 years with underlying conditions therefore I paid for her to sit at the window (21A) this way she wouldn't have anyone sitting on her left side. She gets in the plane and some guy is sitting in her purchased seat and refused to get out of her seat and none of the flight attendants instructed him to get out of her seat. They also were trying to charge her an additional $60 for the same baggage allowed free of charge on other flights. I will never use Spirit for me or my family no matter how cheap because really they're not cheap. I'd rather spend my money on an airline that is honest with their pricing from the beginning and an airline that'll stand up for what is right especially when it comes to our elderly.
RouteSan Juan to Cleveland via Boston
Date FlownJuly 2020

"we weren't able to take this flight"

Trip Verified | Because of the pandemic our hotel and cruise from Florida were cancelled so we weren't able to take this flight to FT. Lauderdale on April 20th. At that time most of the airlines were cancelling the flights. Spirit Airlines had an online form that I filled out to get my refund but I've never received it since then.
RouteSan Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2020

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]