Spirit Airlines

"never fly with them again"

Not Verified | Portland to Las Vegas. We choose our flight when we selected it we ended up with a different return flight. Guess what we have to pay more to change the time and it was 15 mins later and $100 more. Next to get me and my partner seated next to each other $70 each, each way. they wouldn't give us a pair of seats a month in advance to sit next to each other. I suggest pay that initial $200 and you'll enjoy your flight much more with a different airlines. I'll never fly with them again. Reason giving a 2 out of 10 we did land.
Aircraftairplane
RoutePortland to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2019

"Not attentive at all to other passengers"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Houston. Horrible flight! Air conditioner was not working on one side of the plane, had to keep windows closed the entire flight. The flight attendants in the front were talking so loud about their personal business for the entire flight! Not attentive at all to other passengers, just laughing and chatting loudly. Other people around were trying to sleep and couldn’t because of their disrespect for the passengers. Never again will I use Spirit Airlines.
RouteCancun to Houston
Date FlownJune 2019

"It is a discount airline for a reason"

Trip Verified | 6/9/19 flight was delayed from New Orleans (even though we had a plane) - the reason given by the gate agents was that they were waiting on a crew. In fact, the gate agent told me he didn't want to announce over PA system because he knew people "would go nuts." They eventually announced that they were waiting on a crew, flight delayed and within 30 minutes the flight was cancelled. By now, it's 7.30 pm and no available flight that night or the next day to accommodate my schedule. Had to spend the night in New Orleans, eat and Uber without any compensation by Spirit. They refunded the ticket but I had to spend $575 to get home on Southwest. Claiming it was because of weather, the gate agents sheepishly couldn't give any vouchers for anything. I will never fly on Spirit and urge others to do the same. It is a discount airline for a reason. No customer service and very poor handling of a sold out plane. The gate agents basically told everyone what was really happening and then "corporate" sent the email saying the flight was cancelled for "weather" related reasons. So disappointing.
RouteNew Orleans to Los Angeles

"stranded in Vegas"

Not Verified | Myself and 14 others are stranded in Vegas because our plane left early. I came in from Indianapolis. Was supposed to transfer on this plane and take it to San Diego airport tonight. Now all of us have to spend the night in the airport they will not give us any rooms or any food. I am a single girl and this is unacceptable. Spirit Airlines said it was related to bad weather which is absolutely a lie, the weather is absolutely perfect, their plane left early. Unbelievable, we are all outraged. Do not fly Spirit Airlines.
RouteIndinapolis to Las Vegas

"Even charged for water"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Detroit. On the way there I was spilled water from a passenger from behind and lots of it. On the way back was worse I was spilled again from a child in front and two other passengers in the same row left because of it. The child also was hitting me from in front on the head and screaming almost the whole flight and a few more in close vicinity screamed as well. I paid $43 US for my checked luggage to and from and on the way back it was slightly over 40lbs so they charged another $30. The ticket agents were incredibly rude and nasty. My carry on was the exact measurement except the wheels were about an inch so they charged another $65. Even charged for water. My daughter is five and sat there quietly and I have flown with her when she was a baby and worked very hard to keep her quiet. I should have taken photos of the mess from that child in front of us.
RouteAtlanta to Detroit
Date FlownJune 2019

"first leg of my trip was awesome"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Atlanta. First flying with Spirit and after reading all of the negative reviews, I was sure we had made a wrong choice to fly with Spirit. I was wrong. Once reading the Baggage requirements, We decided to pay for only two checked bags. My family of 5 (including 3 teenage girls) were able to safely pack everything into two bags without going over the weight limit. Unlike previous comments, the flight crew was very courteous and even engaging during the entire flight. Landed in Atlanta early and our bags were waiting for us when we arrived a baggage claim. So far the first leg of my trip was awesome. Will let you know about the return.
RouteLos Angeles to Atlanta
Date FlownJune 2019

"charge you for hand luggage"

Trip Verified | Houston to Detroit. They charge you for hand luggage and they charge 49 dollars for luggage. They sell even water on the plane and you have to pay for snacks, very expensive.
RouteHouston to Detroit

"attendants were amazing"

Not Verified | On June 4th, I flew from Raleigh Durham to Orlando on Spirit Airlines. At first I was hesitant, because of what others have said about the airline, but I took a chance! It was my daughter's first time flying so I wanted it to be a good experience for her. I fly frequently for work so it didn't make me no never mind. The entire flight was GREAT! We had the first seats on the plane, my daughter had an exceptional first experience and the attendants were amazing! We were on Flight 321 to Orlando and Mark and Venus were the best. They were friendly, attentive, very professional and made just overall great!
RouteRaleigh Durham to Orlando

"They are a rip-off"

Not Verified | Orlando to Pittsburgh with Spirit Airlines. They are a rip-off. The charge online for baggage when you book is supposed to be $26. When I got my credit card, they not only charged $30 for the bag but again charged for my seat which I had already paid the travel agent for. I also had to pay for a drink of water. By the time I paid for all the extra's, I paid more than if I had flown a decent airline. The crew were nasty to anyone who was not in first class. No help at all. The seats were so crowed, a 5'4" my knees were hitting the seat in front. My husband who is 6' had to sit sideways. No inflight entertainment at all.
RouteOrlando to Pittsburgh
Date FlownJune 2019

"customer service is horrible"

Not Verified | New Orleans to Las Vegas. This has been the worst experience I have ever had in 25 years of flying. My first flight was delayed 5 hours and my flight home was delayed 2 hours and then I was charged $65 to go home with the same bag I flew out with for free! The staff is poorly trained and the customer service is horrible!
RouteNew Orleans to Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]