Spirit Airlines

"unhelpful and extremely rude"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Las Vegas. Fool me once shame on me. If you are looking for a quick commute flight, about an hour, with 1 personal item, and flight attendants that are rude then this is the airline for you. We paid for our bags at the kiosk, only to be pulled at the gate while boarding to be told we must pay $60 per bag and ended up paying $65 each bag. While waiting at the gate there were 2 people screaming at the gate attendants. One person’s seat was double booked and they couldn’t get on the flight. The other person they were trying to recharge for their bag, just like they did to us! As if it was bad enough to pay $50 at the kiosk your made to pay an additional $65 at the gate? So $115 for a carry on bag? Get real Spirit! Should have known the kiosks were bad when it took us 20 minutes to use them! Service attendants are unhelpful and extremely rude! Never flying Spirit and will tell everyone I know to never fly with them. I could write a book about how bad of an experience this was.
RoutePhiladelphia to Las Vegas

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Ft Lauderdale. Horrible customer service. Spent an hour on runway inside the airplane. Due to technical issues they couldn't open a door for an hour and they took us to the other gate and finally let us out. Called customer support cause was running late for work and they said that on behalf of Spirit everything was right. Departure was on time and landing was on time and that they have no report about any issues and hung up on me. Do not fly Spirit Airlines unless you have no plans to be anywhere in close 2 days after the flight.
RouteLas Vegas to Ft Lauderdale

"Everything is extra"

Trip Verified | Denver to Fort Lauderdale. Everything is extra - $55 a carry-on, 40lbs check in luggage limit is extremely low. You choose your seat, its extra. Seat don't recline. By the time you pay for everything you are paying the same price for a worse flight.
RouteDenver to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownOctober 2018

"cheap poor service airline"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Las Vegas. First of all we paid $265 extra for luggage. Last time I flew a checked bag was $25, Spirit charged $50 for each bag. On the way to Las Vegas my son carried his suitcase on- no hassles. His suitcase was 18x 10 x 6. Small. On the way home as we were boarding the gate attendants were randomly pulling people out of line and making them pay $65 for each bag. I was furious. Many people were walking on with bigger bags than my son’s with no problem. Why the extra $15 charge at the gate?? What a racket. There are those stupid metal bins to “test” your bag. Beware, if it doesn’t fit in the top small bin, you’re paying. No coffee, water, cookie, cracker on a 3 and a half hour flight unless you want to pay $4 for each item. A bag of M&Ms was $4. Really? Checking in at both Detroit and Las Vegas was a catastrophe. Mass confusion, no one knew where to go or what line they should be in. Probably 20-30 people in each line like cattle, and unsure if they were even in the right place. No direction from anyone. And of course you have to check your own self in at really slow kiosks. (No one to help you there either- you’re on your own Good luck) After landing to I called to inquire about the shake down at the boarding gate- more “excellent customer service”. You can’t even speak to a real person. I tried different prompts and couldn’t get anyone to talk to. I did get some kind of message saying I could pay $25 to speak to someone about booking another trip. Good one Spirit- I’ll never fly you again and will be sure to share my experiences with your lousy cheap poor service airline. The flight attendants were nice- that is the only good thing I can say.
RouteDetroit to Las Vegas

"cheap deceptive airline"

Not Verified | We booked a flight to Miami in February 2018 the flight was canceled by Spirit due to bad weather which made us miss our cruise ship. Spirit issued us a credit for the round trip flight $520.60 and told us we had 60 days to use it. I tried to book a flight but spirit did not list flight into February 2019 so I called and was told the credit was good as long as a book a flight before and fly by February 2019. Today I tried to book a flight and was told my credit expired, they have a 60 limit on credits. You will never see me flight this cheap deceptive airline again.
RouteBoston to Miami
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"dropped the ball big time"

Trip Verified | Aguadilla to Orlando. Disappointment how Spirit Airlines just decided to change our flight time from 7:30am to 5pm. I understand 30 minutes to an hour delay for controled maintenance, but 9.5 hour delayed is unacceptable. Spirit Airlines has dropped the ball big time, they are not worth purchasing flights as it seems they don’t care about their customers at all. I will not be flying with Spirit Airlines ever again.
RouteAguadilla to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Don't waste time, energy or money"

Trip Verified | Oakland to Los Angeles. Don't waste time, energy or money using this airline! My boyfriend & I are taking his mother & his two sons to Disneyland. We chose Spirit because of the flight times & price. We get to check out & they tried to up-sell you a ton of add on' & I noticed we didn't have assigned seats. We're taking an 8 & 9 yr old so it's important we sit together. It's $7/person to select a seat, so another $35, but the return trip is $14/person, so we just spent $105 on seats. Annoying. I got an email 2 days before our flight saying we didn't buy bags. What?? I went online & it's $40 for each checked bag and $45 for a carry-on! And your bag can't weigh more than 40lbs. Not sure why they assume people can take a 5 day trip with just a "personal item the size of a laptop bag or purse to go under the seat in front of you". We had to pay $240 just for bags and had to combine them & still make sure we were under 40lbs. Today, the day before our flight, I get an email of an in-flight menu, snacks & drinks aren't included in the ticket price. Our flights ended up costing $345 more.
RouteOakland to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Denver to Fort Lauderdale. Erroneously chose to fly Spirit Airlines due to them having a direct flight to my destination for a decent price. Flight started to be delayed shortly before expected arrival of passengers to then be canceled all together. Website was difficult to use and kept trying to change the return leg which was not affected (as of yet). When trying to find a solution with customer service rep tentacles over the phone, they were difficult and patronizing. I’m more than capable of typing in my own name and confirmation. They were not able to have any other flights except something arriving over 28 hours after the original time. If I was to take a different connection with a long layover in a different city I could have arrived only 14 hours later, but Spirit Airlines would not accommodate a change such as this because it would be two separate flights. I offered to use the credit from to canceled keg towards one of these other “multi city” trips to be told they would expect 4 times the original payment to cover the changing destinations on short notice. I spent over an hour on the phone with two agents and also a supervisor. I would say I will never fly with them again, but they didn’t even give me the opportunity to do so. (It will not allow me to rate a 0 unfortunately)
RouteDenver to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownOctober 2018

"will never fly Spirit again"

Not Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Asheville . I am normally not one for negativity, "You get what you pay for", right? Well I fly a lot, and have flown every budget airline out there, I am accustomed to the bag fees, and unbundled fare mentality, and actually enjoy that, as I travel for work, alone, and I am a light packer. I flew with Spirit many times prior to marriage and moving away from an airport that was serviced by Spirit, so you can imagine my excitement when you started service through my home airport, That said, I have never had such a terrible experience with any airline, or quite frankly, in day to day life, The employees on both flights were inconceivably rude, one of which snatched my drink out of my hand, another scolded the entire plane like we were toddlers over the loud speaker about putting our phones on airplane mode. All of this was excusable, Again, this is a budget airline. I'm not paying for good employees, but what really set me over the edge, and what truly gave me the drive to make sure, as a staple in the community, that everyone knows never to fly with Spirit out of Asheville when they can fly Allegiant who are friendly, caring, and accommodating, even though they have the same "add-on" fee and budget mentality. I arrived for a flight out with a 9 and a 2 year old out of Fort Lauderdale, 90 minutes prior to my flight. My app, and calendar generated boarding passes from OAK to IAH which was not my flight. (I'm flying from FLL to AVL) upon arrival to the airport, I tried from many agents to try to get help correcting this problem, I I was then bounced from agent to agent, no one knew what to do, finally, I'm sent to the kiosk again to check in and now its too late and they want to charge me $400+ to change my flight to tomorrow, We are 1 minute late for check in, due to the fault of your company, and have no bags to check and the line for security is <10 people long, but I am now out the cost of a rental car, another hotel room, and have two exhausted and extremely disappointed children waiting an extra day to get home. I chose to purchase flights for cheaper than rebooking these on Allegiant and will never fly Spirit again. Not an ounce of compassion, and the customer service number continually blamed me for not checking in 45 minutes prior to departure, and could not grasp that I was there and had checked in prior, that this was by no means my fault. I really hope to hear back, but doubt I will considering the level of customer care displayed by this company.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Asheville
Date FlownOctober 2018

"never fly Spirit Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Houston to Newark. Worst Customer Service Experience. We booked and paid for 2 large seats 8 months in advance only to show up to the airport and be told that our seats were double booked and sold to someone else. Then be told by the agent that the person who our seats were sold to had not only not checked in for the flight yet but that he had not yet paid for the seats because his credit card was declined (too much of his private information to share with me). Then they brought the Supervisor over who didn’t even come speak to us and appeared to have NO clue what she was doing (in way over her head). She just whispered to the agent to tell us that there was nothing they could do we were basically screwed. So to Be clear: When I checked in for my flight I was told by the agent that the seats I booked and paid for 8 months in advance, were given to someone else who had not yet paid for the seats or checked in. How in the world does that make any sense? Not Only were my seats booked and paid for 8 months in advance, I was there, checked in and seats were paid for all while the other person wasn’t there, wasn’t checked in and hadn’t paid for the seats but the seats still went to them? It was the return flight of a round trip! Who doesn't show back up for their return flight? Especially on upgraded tickets booked 8 months in advance! How could these idiots resell our upgraded seats on a return flight of a round trip booked 8 months in advance? I cannot believe this is at all possible! Then when we get to the gate, they announce the flight was oversold by 7 seats! So 7 people missed their flight home. Just an awful airline. I’ll never fly Spirit Airlines again and will share this terrible experience with all of my friends, family, employees, customers and all colleagues to ensure that everybody I know and they know will never fly on this incompetent airline. Spend a few extra bucks and fly a better airline, don't make the same mistake I did!
RouteHouston to Newark

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]