Spirit Airlines

"will not refund our money"

Trip Verified | A friend booked flights for my wife and me. We are unable to take the flights due to a sudden and unexpected death in the family that caused a financial hardship. I am being told that we can only receive a credit for a future flight and we will be charged $100 each. We cannot afford to pay for flights we will not be taking plus $200. They are taking my money and I will likely never use the tickets. The flights are not until the middle of April. This is a two month lead time to cancel. It is unacceptable that they will not refund our money. I have flown on Spirit before. They signed me up for something that allowed us to save. The following year they charged my card for dues. I had not used them to fly for that year. They did not tell me that my subscription was in fact a subscription, nor did they give me the option or instruction to cancel.
RoutePhiladelphia to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2018

"worst flight I’ve ever taken"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Las Vegas. The worst flight I’ve ever taken. This is the last time I fly with Spirit Airline. The staff are really rude and the customer service at its worst. Don’t even like to hear customer complaints.
RouteDallas to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to L Guardia. I must say that after hearing horror stories from friends I was quite nervous to fly spirit, but I was pleasantly surprised. The stewardesses were super sweet, they really went above and beyond to accommodate me and my 2 little girls. I appreciated their kindness and wanted to give them a shout out. I should add that we sat in the big front seats, was awesome and spacious.
RouteFt Lauderdale to L Guardia

"airline is the worst"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Atlanta via Minneapolis. This airline is the worst. I was unable to check in online the day before the flight and therefore had to pay an extra $10 for my checked bag at the airport. I was told that I could get a credit if I call in and have them investigate if I actually tried to check in. Do not fly this airline, horrible service.
RouteNew Orleans to Atlanta via Minneapolis
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"small seats, no leg room"

Not Verified | Seattle to Las Vegas with Spirit Airlines. Cons: small seats, no leg room, small eating tray, seats don't go back, charge for food and drink even water, flight was late, sat on the runway once we landed, over advising, charges for bags regardless if you check it, charge to pick a seat. Pro: customer service is ok but never really talked with them.
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"First and last time with Spirit"

Trip Verified | Houston to Orlando. Much better off flying American Airlines. Never in my 32 years have I been charged for a carry on. Spirit is deceptive making you think they are a deal. After paying for the carry on, it’s not much less than American Airlines, which is much more comfortable and more direct flights. First and last time with Spirit, easy decision.
RouteHouston to Orlando
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Bottom of the barrel airline"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Las Vegas. Bottom of the barrel airline. Booked through Expedia in haste. Paid for a small carry-on bag that actually fit in their free "personal item" metal cage. I inadvertently signed up for some spirit club ($60) and they refused to refund my money after cancelling within days.
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"will never fly spirit again"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Hartford via Ft Lauderdale. I booked a flight within 6 days of the flight, tried to cancel the ticket within 12 hours for a refund or even a decent voucher. Couldn’t do either, 60 days is the voucher and a refund isn’t possible. They charge you a fee for a 135 dollars if you want to switch flight. Or if you go to the app and try to book another flight for cheaper they try to charge me an extra 120, for a flight that’s 150. I canceled my membership with them and I will never fly spirit again.
RouteTampa to Hartford via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"last time flying Spirit"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Atlanta. This was my first time on a plane and all I can say is this will be my last time flying Spirit. I had to pay $65 for my small suitcase. I was told it was too big just by them looking at it, but after I paid I see everybody else walking up in line measuring their bags then getting on the plane. How can they know my bag is too big if no one said I could measure it. On the way back home I measured my bag. It fit, but I was charged $55 at that point. They said my bag won’t fit under my seat. But it fit in the measurement. Im confused on the policy and I feel like my money was too for no reason. Not only that, an empty felt like it was ok to walk up in my face just to repeat the same thing another employee was already telling me. When she couldn’t get her point across, she yelled out for them to cancel my flight. They didn’t, but I’m sure employees don’t supposed to walk up in customers faces just to get their point across. I’m not obligated to listen to you repeat what I already heard.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I will never fly Spirit again"

Not Verified | Oakland to Las Vegas. I was charged $65 for a carry on, without asking me if my carry on fits their size threshold. At the counter the staff did not even put my carry on in the basket to see if it fits. She saw I have a carry on and she said $65. It did not sound right at all. When I arrived at my destination, I approached the counter asking what happened, the lady took my carry on and placed in in the size basket and it fit right in. She said "why were you charged" I said I do not know. I was given a number to call. My trip was for only 24 hours stay in Vegas for a funeral. The next day when I arrived back to Oakland CA. I approached the same staff at the counter asking why was I charged with out fitting my carry on, She said "sorry sir, we were too busy and hectic". She asked me to speak to her supervisor at downstair departure main counters. I spoke with the supervisor, he fit my beg saw it was fitting. He said to allow him to speak to the employee in the back door inside their office. He came back saying the employee said I had a different bag the day before. I told him that she at her counter just told me she was sorry and she was hectic and mistakenly charged me, and now that I am not before her she says I had a different bag? The manager told me to email customer support to recover the charge. Which I will, and I told him if this to lie to me again, and just to brush me off I will come back to his counter. After emailing back and forth and sending the pictures of my bag inside the carry on fit basket, they said the handle of my beg was slightly higher than the line. They refused to reimburse the charge. I felt completely ripped off. I will never fly Spirit again.
RouteOakland to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2018

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]