Spirit Airlines

"Never will fly Spirit again"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | Denver to San Juan via Ft Lauderdale. Terrible. Spirit cancelled our flight 10 hours prior to departure for supposed weather reasons but all other airlines were flying and it was a nice sunny day in Denver. They would only offer a flight 5 days later or a $1000 refund for 5 plane tickets, which obviously was not nearly close to enough to purchase new tickets for me, husband and 3 children. Spent 50 minutes on hold on every call (about 3 calls with 6 different people) and no one could offer anything better or a real reasonable explanation for cancellation. When asked about other flights they were dubious and gave grey answers. Went to the airport and manager was nasty and unhelpful. A second manager, after 5 hours begging, could only offer replacement flight for 3 days later. Had to stay in Denver. No compensation for hotel, food, ect. Manager would not even waive the checked bag fees for the next flight. Just horrible. Never will fly Spirit again!
RouteDenver to San Juan via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2019

"No compassion or apologies"

Not Verified | I had connecting flight from NY with layover in Detroit and then on to Las Vegas. Flight was late leaving NY, and therefore arrived to Detroit late, which gave us about 5 min to get off plane on to the next plane before flight took off. Knowing this attendants didnt have enough sense to ask everyone to remain seated so passengers could quickly get off plane onto the next one. I nearly had a heart attack trying to run to gate with bags on me. Nevertheless, i just made it, and attendants on the next plane had the nerve to act as if we were someone holding the plane up, so i made the comment, "if it wasnt for your previous plane being late, i would have been here". And of course my bags never made it to new plane, so i had to wait until next day to get them. No compassion or apologies whatsoever!
RouteNew York to Las Vegas via Detroit

"Spend the extra money"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Denver. Spend the extra money, its worth it! My outbound flight was delayed and my return flight was outright cancelled 30 mins before the scheduled flight out! They said a steward never made it and they wont fly short staffed. There were people on this flight that has their flights cancelled 3 days in a row. My boyfriend was on the flight after mine & they delayed it! He had a connecting flight that he was going to miss because of it and when he asked the ticket counter how they were going to fix the problem they told him deal with it when you get there. They only have a couple flights a day. We didnt risk him being stuck in Dallas so we just booked our own flights for the next day with a different airline and got a refund. There were so many people who after 6 hours waiting, still didnt know how they were going to be accommadated. Not a fun beginning or end to a vacation taken for much needed R&R.
RouteNew Orleans to Denver

"worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Akron-Canton to Fort Myers. Less than 12 hours from departure flight was cancelled. I had planned a 3 day beach vacation as a break from work and stress. Needless to say I still took a day off work only because of stress Spirit created. I had to call customer service to request trip cancellation as well as car rental. The hotel was another matter. I was unable to cancel reservation. It was nonrefundable; however luckily hotel worked with me due to circumstances and rescheduled to November with no penalty. At time of ticket purchase I did buy travel insurance only to learn that was for the flight only. Spirit did refund the total ticket price. The hotel and car was not included. Such a rip off! Never ever again will I chose Spirit. I agree with other comments "avoid Spirit at all cost". It really is worst airline ever. They have a limited number of planes and flights. No sister airline to assist with additional flights for those whose flights have been canceled. Poor excuse for airline! If you want uncertainty and disappointment choose Spirit! I wish on survey you could give a "No star" rating! They don't even deserve one star!
RouteAkron-Canton to Fort Myers
Date FlownApril 2019

"I will avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale. Besides the fact that there are fees for everything which really makes you wonder the true savings once you add up your fees, their costumer service is awful. When we checked our bags at our return, the lady at the counter was nasty and started charging us for excess weight for all our bags even thought one was only 2 pounds over. We had the same items than on the way there and we had not paid a fee then but this lady was nickle and diming us. The worst part was that while I was busy dealing with the bags, she took my boarding passes which we printed from home to ensure seats were together since we were traveling with a 3 year old and an 8 year old and threw them away and reprinted them with separate seating. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice the change of seats until boarding and no one was able to help by then. I’ll never trust anyone at checking anymore and I will avoid this airline on my next trip.
RouteBaltimore to Ft. Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2019

"cancelled for no reason"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Minneapolis. Don’t book it though them! Went on vacation & need to be home for class, woke up in the morning to see our flight was cancelled for no reason! There is no other flights through them going on on this date & all other airline prices have gone up since we have to book the day of. Out over $100 each. Not worth an initial cheaper price at all.
RoutePhoenix to Minneapolis

"Delayed the flight"

Trip Verified | Akron to Orlando. I came to the airport at 4:20 Pm like they required, my flight was at 8:50 Pm this people. Delayed the flight and texted me after I was already there and they changed it for 9:30PM after this first delay, they chaged it 20 mins later to 9:50PM and from there it went down every half an hour. Last delay was at 11:50PM we got in the plane and stayed there for an hour when they decided to tell us pilots were leaving because their time fly was expired and they were not allowed to fly anymore. We waited in there for a new pair of pilots to come in and 30 mins later they asked us to get off the plane and run to the other side of the airport, pass through TSA and catch a "new flight". We get to the terminal 81 and we stayed there until 1:10 AM when we finally left the airport. I asked the supervisor if at least they will give us some complimentary water he said we don't have any. I lost my car rental because by the time we arrived at the other airport everything was closed 3:00AM and had to wait there until 6:30 that they reopened.
RouteAkron to Orlando

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. I was travelling with a friend and two babies. Our evening flight was cancelled due to bad weather, (which there was no bad weather at all), out of Fort Lauderdale. The flight was then re-scheduled for 6:00 am the next morning. The airline would not cover our $140 hotel bill nor would they give us any help with food. The next morning our 6:00 am flight was again cancelled. We stood in long lines with two extremely tired and cranky babies and were told the flight crew did not show up. We again stood in line trying to get our flight re-booked for the second time!. They booked me and the two babies for a flight which would entail us waiting in the airport for another 14 hours or paying for yet another hotel bill. Then they told my friend that they could not guarantee he could fly with us and booked him standby. Have you ever tried flying with a tired one year old and two year old alone? We were livid. I don't trust that we will make it out of here together tonight and at this point we are totally stressed and exhausted. To top it off the flight this evening has been re-routed through an out of the way city which will extend the flight time by a couple of hours. Never again will I try to save money by flying Spirit. Book with them at your own risk! I advise anyone reading this to seriously think before booking with this Airline or be ready to possibly hand added expenses and a lot of stress.
RouteSanto Domingo to Ft Lauderdale

"no complaints at all"

Trip Verified | Boston to Ft Lauderdale. Positive experience, problem-free flights; no complaints at all. Flights departed and landed exactly as scheduled. Passing through security in Boston was a breeze. In Ft Lauderdale it was crowded but the lines moved along quickly. We landed a few minutes early on our return flight tp Boston. Friendly crew. No surprises - be an informed customer and know how to avoid unnecessary fees and all is good.
RouteBoston to Ft Lauderdale

"I was impressed"

Trip Verified | I have to say: I was a little nervous flying Spirit Airlines for a last minute business flight from Pittsburgh to Orlando but bit the bullet and went. I have nothing but great tings to say! On the way down, the Captain came out, talked to us, welcomed us, was funny, thanked us, told us how the airlines had let people down in the past and they are aware of it and wanting to make Spirit an airline people trust and want to fly. My go-to is Southwest but I have to say: I was impressed! I told them so on the way out of the plane. On the way home from Orlando, the Captain came out before the flight again and welcomed us. He wasn't as personable but hey, I appreciate the effort. The flight attendants both ways were awesome! No, you don't get food unless you pay but you know that before you get on. And it was a non-stop. Who doesn't love a non-stop flight? Overall, I will travel Spirit again in one split second. The aisles to get in the plane were actually 'wide' so you could move easily thru the plane. And the check in was super easy. Everything was easy. And if you needed help with checking in yourself at the self kiosks, the attendants there were standing by to help you with a smile on their face and a great attitude. So, with their renewed attitudes: do it. You won't be sorry!
RoutePittsburgh to Orlando

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]