Spirit Airlines

"experience was fantastic"

Trip Verified | I originally had American Airlines from Tampa to Philadelphia to State College and then a return flight. Plans change and I didn't need the flight to State College but American Airlines was going to charge me over $450 to drop that off the ticket. I got a $69 ticket one way from Philadelphia to Tampa and it could not have been a better experience. From checking my bag to the crew on the plane to the overall experience it was fantastic. Even the Spirit Airlines employee when we were picking up our luggage in Tampa was very helpful and pleasant. I will definitely be using Spirit Airlines whenever I can as long as these experiences continue.
RoutePhiladelphia to Tampa

"Never again on Spirit"

Not Verified | New Orleans to Los Angeles. Never again would I fly on Spirit. They charged me $65 because the plastic handle on my tiny bag stuck out less than a half an inch past the extremely tiny slot. There was almost nothing in my bag and it fit perfectly. Other passengers bags were clearly packed full and really heavy. So it’s not the weight like they claim it’s just them trying to rip people off and ruin trips. They wouldn’t even give you a free cup of ice. I had to pay for it. Seats feel like concrete and the staff is rude.
RouteNew Orleans to Los Angeles

"airline is a rip off"

Trip Verified | This has by far been the worst airline experience I have ever witness in my 18 years of traveling. The lines were extremely long, the desks were understaffed, the staff was unpleasant, and it was complete chaos. I flew out of Orlando to Boston on a 7:00 am flight and the bag drop line took triple the amount of time it should have. Spirit’s bag weight limit is also 10 lbs under the average and you have to pay if it’s over 40 (whereas most others have a 50 lb limit). It’s such a scam for money and not worth a penny. We nearly missed our flight due to the horrible disorganization. Save your money, this airline is a rip off - if I could rate zero stars I would.
RouteOrlando to Boston
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"how inept this airline is"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Chicago. I cannot believe just how inept this airline is. Not only are the costs necessary to book this flight, but Spirit does not intend to complete any of their booked flights. Today, we attempt to fly into Chicago. Yes, it is snowing there. The other airlines are actually traveling. Flight planned for 3:40. Then moved to 9:50pm. Then moved to 7:57pm. Right now it’s claiming 10:07 departure. Not holding my breath. I’m on the way to the rental counter to get a car and drive to Atlanta.
RouteOrlando to Chicago

"Spirit is truly awful"

Not Verified | Flew Detroit to Denver. I know everyone probably says this but Spirit is truly awful. I really do not know how anyone could fly this terrifying airline. I was dumb enough to think I was saving money. If you sneeze it’s 5$. Then when it takes you 13 hours to get to your destination you have to wait over an hour just to get your bags. All because Spirit doesn’t want to pay for a baggage team so they have to use other airlines. It’s literally mind boggling how they are still in business. And their only compensation is to give you money toward Spirit miles. Never ever will I even think of buying a ticket on this airline again.
RouteDetroit to Denver
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Incompetency pops in my mind"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Detroit. Today I had a 7:35pm flight flying out of BWI arriving in DTW at 9:15pm I arrived at the gate and the monitors assured me that the arriving location was indeed Detroit, MI, when it was my turn to board I gave the gate agent my ticket she scanned the ticket and I boarded the plane. When we landed to my surprise the pilot mentioned that we were in Boston. I was very confused but just thought this might have been the last flight of the day and the pilot was tired and just made a mistake. To my surprise when we deboarded the plane we were indeed in Boston, not Detroit. I am confused how I was able to have my ticket scanned and board a plane to a location that was not my destination? At spirit Airlines can you just purchase a ticket and board any plane as long as it’s a spirit airplane? To make matters worse when I deboarded the plane and tried to figure out how and why I was in Boston when I was supposed to be in Detroit, again my ticket was scanned before boarding the plane, the Boston agents then told me that the gate must have changed and they did not update the monitor? How would a person flying know that the gate was changed if on the monitor it says arriving in Detroit? Again unacceptable? And what’s really mind boggling is how can a person have their tix scanned and allowed to board the wrong plane?!? To “accommodate” me Spirit airline booked me another flight the next day, unfortunately that didn’t do much considering that I had a very very important meeting to attend tomorrow morning at 7am and will not arrive in Detroit until after 8am, causing me to miss out on a very important meeting and big contract! I am livid because of the incompetence at spirit airlines it has cost me thousands of dollars for my start up company! On top of that they provided me with $35.00 worth of food vouchers which was useless because all of the restaurants were closed except for Dunkin’ Donuts, so at this point I am livid and hungry and you all offer is $35 worth of, end of the night, donuts? Unacceptable. To make matters worse the hotel voucher they gave me to the Towne Place Suites Boston, for the night was completely sold out so to my surprise when I arrived at the Towne Place Suite, hungry, tired, extremely irritated, and sad because of me not being able to attend my 7am meeting I was told that they could not accommodate me because they were completely sold out for the night, but wait it gets better, the hotel did have one room available however another guest was given that room also. The room they were placed in slept 4 people (2 Queen Size Beds) and a roll away bed was available if they needed but they wanted 2 rooms so each child could have their own bed. So instead of politely telling them sorry we can’t accommodate you with another room, however we can provide a roll out bed so that everyone can still be happy and accommodated. The operations manager told me that I could not be accommodated because she was giving them the only room that was available so the family was able to get 2 rooms to accommodate the fact that each child wanted their own bed, talk about privileged! Again unacceptable! Why would spirit airline employees give me a voucher for a hotel that was fully committed? Incompetency pops in my mind again! So now I had to find another place to lodge.
RouteBaltimore to Detroit
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"$65 extra dollars for skateboard"

Trip Verified | Oakland to Pittsburgh via Las Vegas. Me and my boyfriend went on vacations from Florida to California and we got a connection flight in Las Vegas. When we were coming back our flight got delayed 5 times and they had to change our connection flight. The solution was send us to Las Vegas then to Pittsburgh and then home (Orlando). When we got to Las Vegas, waiting for our next flight we saw 4 different situations about complaints and bad customer service. The staff in general in that airport is really bad. I never saw anything like that with any airline. After they “handle” the situation with the customer they start talking behind their backs. That’s so unprofessional. It’s like one of the requirements to work for this airline it’s have the worst attitude ever starting with the “supervisor”. We had the same problem twice in the same airport with the same people. We travel all our flights with no problems till we got to that airport. They charge us for $65 extra dollars for my boyfriend’s skateboard and they didn’t let us take it with us into the plane with the promise that we’ll receive the skate at our destination. Guess what?! We never did. The skateboard got stuck at Pittsburgh. Before my boyfriend give them the skateboard he asked many times cause this happened before and they were really rude at him and they didn’t ever heard his concerns or questions. They don’t care at ALL. Not about our money, not about our experience with the airline, not about our questions or concerns. I used to travel with Spirit anywhere but with this experience I’m done. Definitely me and my family aren’t travel in this airline no more. Recommendations: Give your people better training. Specially that group from Las Vegas!
RouteOakland to Pittsburgh via Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"will never fly Spirit again"

Trip Verified | Denver to Baltimore via Chicago. Bucket seats with no padding and horrible customer service. Offered us little options or compensation when they flew us into Chicago and told us we would be stranded there for at least 24 hours. However, the next flight was also out in the evening and would likely be cancelled as well. If they had informed us before we boarded our first flight, we could have stayed happily in Denver. Instead, we had to pay hundreds of dollars to get home from Chicago, and then Spirit only offered to refund us their supposed cost of the second leg of the flight, a quarter of what we paid. I was skeptical when my partner scheduled us flying with them and I will never fly Spirit again after this horrific experience.
RouteDenver to Baltimore via Chicago

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Las Vegas. If you have regular carry on luggage, which is has no problem with any other airlines to take on board, Spirit airlines will charge you for this bag $65. You allowed to have a little purse and little bigger than purse second bag. My girlfriend has to pay $65 for her carry on even it did feet required parameters, only because bag wheels were barely seen outside. Flight staff is very unfriendly irritable and unprofessional. Poor customer service. Airline seats are very uncomfortable and they charge even for water! Sometimes pay cheaper tickets cost you more at the end its exactly about Spirit airlines. If i could rate zero star i would for such a poor and unprofessional customers service.
RouteDallas to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Great value for the money"

Not Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Cali. We are senior Canadians who have travelled a lot internationally so do have some experience with airlines. We found this airline especially good in terms of comfort, smoothness, adherence to schedule and attentiveness of staff. The price was very, very reasonable. In fact we have flown this four hour route probably 10 times now over the years and have never found such a deal. It left precisely on time and we arrived 15 minutes early. The plane itself was very new, very clean and not overcrowded. As mentioned in flight information, no meal was served but anticipating this in advance we were able to bring sufficient carry on food to meet our needs. The luggage taken was minimal, which most seasoned travellers do, so there was no extra charge. The ride itself was very pleasant and without much turbulence. Our take-off and landing were both excellent and we cannot say enough about the courtesy of the staff. They were attentive and very cheerful and this was late in the night. We did request a beverage along the way and it was very reasonably priced. After booking this flight, we did look at reviews and were somewhat apprehensive due to the negativity. Upon closer examination we noted that many were made by individuals who were travelling within the United States itself. It seemed that perhaps many had unrealistic expectations and/or had not travelled that much internationally so had little basis of comparison. We would certainly fly with Spirit Airlines again. Great value for the money.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Cali

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]