Spirit Airlines

"The inconsistency is terrible"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Atlanta. I have never had a problem with baggage until now. I have used the same suitcase for every flight but on a recent flight I was made to pay. Several other flyers had bags of the same size and they were not charged. The inconsistency is terrible. The flight attendant informed me it was because my bag had wheels and the others were duffle bags. If you want a CHEAP flight this is the way to go. However don't expect anything but a basic service. Also the flight is packed!
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Atlanta
Date FlownJuly 2020

"I will never use Spirit"

Trip Verified | I brought my mom one way tickets from Puerto Rico to Ohio. My mom is 78 years with underlying conditions therefore I paid for her to sit at the window (21A) this way she wouldn't have anyone sitting on her left side. She gets in the plane and some guy is sitting in her purchased seat and refused to get out of her seat and none of the flight attendants instructed him to get out of her seat. They also were trying to charge her an additional $60 for the same baggage allowed free of charge on other flights. I will never use Spirit for me or my family no matter how cheap because really they're not cheap. I'd rather spend my money on an airline that is honest with their pricing from the beginning and an airline that'll stand up for what is right especially when it comes to our elderly.
RouteSan Juan to Cleveland via Boston
Date FlownJuly 2020

"we weren't able to take this flight"

Trip Verified | Because of the pandemic our hotel and cruise from Florida were cancelled so we weren't able to take this flight to FT. Lauderdale on April 20th. At that time most of the airlines were cancelling the flights. Spirit Airlines had an online form that I filled out to get my refund but I've never received it since then.
RouteSan Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2020

"So much for saving money"

Not Verified | I flew Spirit for the first time today. Like most travelers I try to find the best bang for my buck. After having flown AA from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale I was unprepared for my return flight via Spirit. The check-in process was easy enough but I quickly found that my carry on (which was free with AA) was going to cost me $50 with Spirit. So much for saving money. The boarding process was a bit hectic. They load by zones but it doesn't really matter because I saw several people among the first boarders that were seated in the same zone as I was. One of which had managed to stroll onto the plane with a mixed drink and an open beer. After boarding the plane I discovered that while I was required to wear a protective mask, the 6 foot personal space rule didn't matter in the least. We were packed in like sardines! The staff was adequate but I did notice one steward who never covered his nose with his mask. The seats were narrow and hard. I'm glad the flight was only 2 hours. I don't think I've ever been that uncomfortable on a flight. The pilot seemed very adequate but he seemed to struggle a bit on the landing. To be fair, we did have to circle about 40 minutes to allow a storm to pass but once it was clear he seemed to come in a bit "hot". All in all the money I thought I was saving seemed to disappear once the baggage fees and discomfort was factored in. Spirit will definitely not be receiving any more business from me. I'll just spend a bit extra and feel more comfortable.
RouteFt Lauderdale, FL to Atlanta, GA
Date FlownJuly 2020

"will never again fly Spirit"

Not Verified | I had used my own carry on bag to fly from BWI to TPA. No issue ever. I go back to TPA to fly back hone to BWI and they make me check my bag this time for $65.00 at the gate. This was my own personal item for under the seat. They claimed it didn’t fit. It in fact did. I will never again fly Spirit. The seats suck and so does the service.
RouteTampa to Baltimore
Date FlownJuly 2020

"it was a horrible experience"

Trip Verified | We flew out Friday to go to Orlando Florida. I will never fly with Spirit again. We were delayed 12 times, we were supposed to leave at 2.36, end up not leaving till 3 in the morning. No food or drinks for 10 hours. For my daughters first time flying it was a horrible experience. Every time we fly with them for the last 3 times there has always been a delay. Luckily we used all our credit we will definitely pay more to fly with another airline. Never have a good experience with them. Even on the way back again a delay. So upsetting! If I were you pay the extra money fly with someone else.
RouteChicago to Orlando
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Can't call and speak to anyone"

Trip Verified | Cleveland to Atlanta with Spirit Airlines. Horrible from customer service to being delayed 4 different times. Can't call and speak to anyone. Been at the airport for 4 and a half hours, didn't get offered anything. Big inconvenience.
RouteCleveland to Atlanta
Date FlownJuly 2020

"seats are hard as a rock"

Trip Verified | Spirit Airlines is objectively a pretty terrible airline, but that's what you get for booking at such a cheap fare, so if you're willing to travel light at a low cost, then it's a decent option. The cabin is completely bare bones without even as much as a magazine for entertainment. Even overhead luggage costs extra, and no food or drinks are free. Beware of endless credit card advertisements. Legroom is terrible and the seats are hard as a rock, but it was bearable for a 2.5 hour flight. Any longer would've been a major struggle. BWI and MSP Terminal 1 are both great facilities, even as the latter was dealing with a massive snowstorm on the busiest travel weekend in America (Thanksgiving). Again, objectively bad flight, but decent considering the cheap fares compared to other airlines' holiday weekend fares.
RouteBaltimore to Minneapolis
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Their customer service is the worst"

Not Verified | This was the worst airline ever. The flight was crowded with no social distances at all. I asked workers about people wearing masks only over their mouths but they totally ignored me. They also did not enforce mask staying on the entire flight. People were talking all over the place and they pulled their masks down. I felt totally unsafe. Not to mention their long layovers. I will not fly with them again ever. Spirit is not safe in this pandemic, they could not care less as long as their flights are full. Their customer service is the worst. Are you really saving money if they charge you for everything from seats to a bottle of water. Seats are small and uncomfortable.
RoutePhiladelphia to Cancun, Mexico
Date FlownJuly 2020

"choose another more reputable airline"

Not Verified | I fly this airline at least 2 times a month. I have joined their fair club, etc. The most recent two trips were horrible. The first trip two weeks ago I was forced to pay a baggage fee for a bag that fit the criteria of a carry one, ya know the one you can stow under your seat. $65 I was charged. I called customer service and was told he couldn't verify my story so they couldn't refund or credit me. My most recent trip was just this past monday July 6. I arrived at the airport a little late due to traffic. My flight left at 12:54 and I arrived at the airport at 12:30. You have to check in at least 15 minutes prior to departure. Hum, that's more like 20 minutes I got there. Atlantic city airport is small. I could have gotten right through, but was told I was too late and forced to pay $198 to get on the next flight. Mind you my original round trip flight was not even close to being that much money. Again called customer service who simply sent me Spirit's policy. My family of 10 who frequently fly spirit will no longer do so. We will choose another more reputable airline who will work with their loyal customers.
RouteOrlando to Atlantic City

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]