Spirit Airlines

"never been treated so rudely"

Trip Verified | Portland to Las Vegas. We purchased our tickets for our anniversary on August 2 2018 to fly out on October 16 2018. We fly with my service animal Lola so, when purchasing our tickets I checked we have a service animal and called Spirit Airlines to check on specifications. I was told I needed to provide documentation from my doctor on his letterhead. Arrived at the airport and was checking in and handed the rude lady my documentation. She automatically had an attitude saying our policy changed on the 15th of October you have to pay $110 for your service animal. At first I was nice and explained that I purchased my tickets on Aug. 2nd and she said policy changed just so rude. I said it was BS and she was ready to kick me off of the plane. I have never been treated so rudely in all my life. Plus they want you to pay for your seat your baggage a soda and on and on. You better believe that all you get is a piece of paper saying you can get on the plane and you pay for the rest. I was afraid to go to the restroom. Thinking I would have to pay for it. God forbid if the oxygen masked dropped you would have to swipe your credit card for the oxygen.
RoutePortland to Las Vegas

"she kept making faces"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | Orlando to San Juan. On my way back to Puerto Rico, traveling in flight #801 (12:44pm) Orlando to San Juan PR. I had a very bad experience during check in at the counter. There were five of us & the kiosk wouldn’t check us in, so we went to the counter where an agent assisted us. She was visibly in a very bad mood, making faces and visibly disgusted with having to check us in. We were very confused with the checked bag prices and the airline check in process, since it is different from other airlines and this was our first time flying This airline. I’m proficient in english, but I speak with an accent, I don’t know if that’s what was bothering her, or the fact that she had to explain to us how the whole system works. I gave her both my husband’s and my passport and she only returned mine. Then she started asking for my husband’s and I told her I had given it to her, she said she didn’t have it, but immediately noticed it was there on her counter. She gave it back to me, and when I took it, she said visibly disgusted, “Ma’am I would appreciate if you don’t grab things away from me”. I didn’t understand what was she referring to. So when she returned the credit card & I took it, she repeated the same thing, but visibly more disgusted. My daughter told her that we didn’t mean to be disrespectful, but she kept making faces. We ended up paying $335.00 for 5 checked in bags & 1 carry on bag. All of them under 40 pounds. We were finally checked in & I walked away from the counter, found a woman who said she was the supervisor and explained everything to her. I told the supervisor that since the Airline check-in process is so different from other airlines, they should have people in the counters that are more willing to explain to customers the whole process. Also, since Orlando is an international airport they should have agents that are more patient with customers whose primary language is not English. She didn’t write my name or anything, so I don’t think she’s going to do anything. The airplane was filthy.
RouteOrlando to San Juan

"staff was very rude "

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Chicago. I have always been a proud supporter of Spirit Airlines. However, after my most recent flight with spirit I do not feel passionately the same. A staff was very rude and antagonizing towards me and my husband and our pet. She embarrassed us and made us all feel like a nuisance. I withdraw my investments with Spirit Airlines and I will also encourage my colleagues to do the same based upon this horrible customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2018

"3 different delay emails"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Las Vegas. Horrible! I'll never fly with Spirit Airlines again. Sent me 3 different delay emails got to the airport and the flight left on time. The planes are poor, not comfortable at all.
RouteDallas to Las Vegas
Date FlownOctober 2018

"cares nothing for their passengers"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Detroit. A blatant grab for money. Every aspect of the process has an extra charge, or a new fee for ‘better’ service. However the staff were incredibly rude. At 4 am when I arrived, exhausted and bewildered (as I rarely travel) I was yelled at by the people working at check in. Three times they lost patience and raised their voices to a yell, I want to say scream but I don’t want to be melodramatic. I was clearly embarrassed, confused, and blushing. These people had zero empathy and were cruel and humiliating. Every Spirit Airlines employee I encountered was at the very least cold, and at the most aggressively disrespectful. I really feel that Spirit cares nothing for their passengers. They want only to make money, and it’s very clear. I will not ever ride with them again, I would rather pay for the privilege/human right of human decency. Seats are also tiny and uncomfortable.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Detroit

"seats were uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Denver to Chicago. The seats were uncomfortable, we were unable to recline whatsoever. I feel like this airline functions by posting low ticket prices and then Nickel and diming passengers for every conceivable purpose from bag check to basic amenities, snacks, or even seating.
RouteDenver to Chicago

"No problems"

Not Verified | Great trip with wife and grandkids. No problems. Fly Spirit Airlines at least 2 times a year. Had a wonderful 7 day vacation. 1 backpack each. If you know what you are doing it works great and you save lots of money. Quit complaining and start enjoying life.
RouteArlington to Baltimore
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not worth the lower price"

Trip Verified | San Juan to Orlando. This was the worst customer service I've ever received. We arrive at the airport after getting off of a cruise only to find out the ticket will not open for about 2 hours. So we are forced to wait at the ticket counter until their shift starts. When we call customer service to ask why our email says "make sure to arrive at least 2 or more hours before your flight " but they won't open until they feel like it. We were told "it's a generic email!" Well the way obvious and not helpful at all. Then I was told of I paid extra I could get some fast pass through security. It never worked for TSA and then the rep said if we wanted that reimbursed "fill out a form and we will review it." This airline is a joke and not worth the lower price. I guess it's true, you get what you pay for. Never again will we fly this airline.
RouteSan Juan to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

"you get what you pay for sometime"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Orlando. I’ve been flying for well over 20 years this is by far my worse trip due to spirit airlines. I missed first flight and booked the next flight while being charged another $99 per ticket for my family and I. After sitting at airport for 8hrs I was notified by email the plane would be delayed 4hrs then to only get news 20 mins later it was now canceled and no other flights until 2 days later. Had to pay $700 for 3 one way tickets back home. Worse airline I’ve ever used. No WiFi, no tv, no snack and $3 beverages (soda). I was charged $160 for checking just 2 bags. Do not use Spirit. Tickets are cheap but you get what you pay for sometime.
RouteHartford to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

"costs more money than other airlines"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Los Angeles. This is a very basic airline and I 100% agree with the other reviews regarding the additional costs adding up to a regular airline. Our flight was originally scheduled to depart at 4:15 PM and has now been delayed twice. We are currently scheduled to depart at 8:30 pm. This is unacceptable. Never again! Spirit corporate staff, wake up and get a clue before no one flies with your airline. Stop trying to pass off cheap tickets when everything else costs more money than other airlines!
RouteNew Orleans to Los Angeles

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]