Spirit Airlines

"crew members weren't very accommodating"

Not Verified | Where do I start! So the airline loads us on flight NK567 when we encountered some really bad weather which caused the 4.26pm flight to be delayed. That wasn't even the worst part, while on board the crew members weren't very accommodating as passengers asked for water while they waited. Some passengers got really restless asking for alcohol and snacks. The crew members were very short and direct when telling them they simply couldn't and wouldn't. I have personally worked in customer service and I could've decreased tension in so many different ways, all this came after sitting on the plane for more than an hour. In my personal opinion when the crew couldn't answer any more questions or when they grew tired they told us they were taking us back to the terminal to refuel, after about 30-45 mins they returned us to the terminal and as tensions again got high they called the cops and security. As the crowd grew angry some personnel gave some answers, "the pilot had maxed out all his time so we need another pilot, it isn't safe for anyone at this point". I wouldn't write unless I felt there was another way. I've been in customer service for 20 plus years and I always try to look at situations and see how I could've done things differently. The ladies were upset and they got loud but I can't blame them because they asked questions and were just told to sit tight and here we are sitting in the airport at 10.03 pm, it's freezing and all the restaurants are closed. People have small children and nobody has offered anything to make things more comfortable for the moment.
RouteHouston to Detroit
Date FlownOctober 2020

"never fly on this airline again"

Trip Verified | I have never flown this airline before - nor will I ever again! We went to look at a university that I wanted to see and we booked a last minute flight - Spirit was one of the only nonstop flights still available and now I know why. This airline is obviously not aware that there is a pandemic at all. They took no precautions for the passengers or crew and piled us in every vacant seat they had. I flew Delta and united also in October and they both took great precautions including, taking temperatures, wiping the seats down, socially distanced passengers and had hand sanitizer everywhere. Spirit airlines was a sardine can. They did not take anyones temperature, nor did they wipe down seats or have sanitizer anywhere. Three people that I saw on the plane did not wear masks and that seemed fine with the airline. On the website they say they have implemented covid regulations but that is not true. They also have an erroneous number on their website (801) 401-2222, should you try to contact them it is out of order and apparently they do not know it and still list it. Do they have anyone the regulates their covid operations? We all live in Los Angeles which is a police state as far as the pandemic is concerned, yet they allow Spirit Airlines to have no restrictions at all. I wish the governor could see this flight I was on - he'd be disgusted and hopefully slap them with a fine. If I don't get Covid after taking this flight then I must have the best immunity system in the world. It is literally a petrie dish of infection and they don't seem to care. They need regulation so that they make it safe for their passengers during this pandemic. I don't think they are aware or care that there is a pandemic, they are just selling cheap flights. Also the flight is the worst ever - crammed in, no wifi, movies or any food but that is not what bothered me it was the lack of concern over covid. I will never fly on this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Nashville
Date FlownOctober 2020

"airline is doing nothing to compensate me"

Trip Verified | As of now as I write this review, I have not actually gotten on my flight with Spirit Airlines. I booked a flight on Spirit for the first time to travel to the Dominican Republic. I have a service animal that needs approval, so I submitted my documents well ahead of the deadline for travel. I was told I would get a response within 2 business days. I did not hear from them until the third day, when they sent me an email to check in to my flight which listed my service animal. I was able to check in. In the afternoon I received an email saying they were looking for passengers to accept vouchers to change flights because they were over booked. Therefore, I should not be surprised when that night, after business hours, I received another email saying that they were denying my service animal because I didn't submit my documents, even though I had a confirmation email from the airline saying they had received the documents. I submitted them again. They didn't respond until after it was too late to get on my flight. My reservation was rescheduled three times, and it was another two and a half days before they finally approved my service animal. In addition, I now have to fly in to a city an hour and a half away from my actual destination, and the airline is doing nothing to compensate me for what they caused.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Santo Domingo
Date FlownOctober 2020

"They made our family feel unsafe"

Not Verified | During our flight, there was a passenger that never wore a mask, not at any time on the flight. Repeatedly, the flight crew served this man 3 alcoholic beverages. They had ample opportunity to address the fact that he was not wearing a mask with him, and could have denied him the ability to purchase alcohol. Instead, they served him 3x. My issue is not with the serving of the alcohol, but rather that there was not a single person on the crew that stood up and made the man wear a mask, nor took any other measures about it. Passengers all around us were commenting on the fact that this passenger was not wearing a mask. No one felt safe. An older Air Force Veteran was seated directly in front of the passenger and asked that he put on a mask. The passenger said "What's your problem? You believe all this bullshit?" Furthermore, I witnessed the passenger go to the bathroom in the back of the plane 3x where the other flight crew was sitting in unoccupied seats. They didn't say a thing to him. They laughed with him when he passed as he took his long beard and covered his face (laughing) and they joined in the fun. Are you kidding me? You openly laugh with a passenger without a mask on and watch him go to the bathroom 3x and do absolutely nothing. We were travelling with my children, one of which is too young to wear a mask at only 16 months old. How is it okay, how is it safe for us to fly? They promised us as a company that their standard was to require masks to be worn. No exceptions. Yet they don't. After the flight, as we were disembarking, I said to one of the flight crew, "How could you be so complicit as to let that man not wear a mask the entire flight?" to which her response was "He had one on and would take it off. What could I do about it?". He did not have one on. Not at any point. Not when he went to the bathroom, not when he sat in his seat, not when he stood up before the plane was even done taxing (not once, not twice, but three times), nothing. How does your Flight Crew have NO answer to a passenger that won't put on a mask? Delta is openly banning passengers like this from ever flying again and, on record, has landed planes in flight to address people like this to show a firm hand, severe consequences. Spirit's team does nothing. They sit in the back of the plane and laugh with him. We will never fly Spirit again. They made our family feel unsafe. They made other passengers feel unsafe.
RouteFt Myers to Detroit

"staff super unfriendly"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale. If you want people to wear a mask over their nose turn the air own. Flight attendants rudely talking amongst theirselves telling people pull up mask over nose. Also staff super unfriendly.
RouteNew Orleans to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownOctober 2020

"The worst airline I have ever flown"

Trip Verified | The worst airline I have ever flown. Cheap flight for a last minute trip, gone wrong. During COVID you would expect clean seats, fresh scent, and less people. That is not the case. Flight attendants are rude and unprofessional. Flew here with a purse and a backpack, on the way back they made me pay $70 for a purse at the gate. Want a cheap flight but be screwed over by baggage fees and possibly get Covid? Then fly Spirit.
RouteCharlotte to Orlando
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"never be flying with them again"

Trip Verified | Worst airline I’ve ever experienced. I bought a round trip flight to Miami for $75 and after multiple confirmation emails once we were at the airport to come home, our flight was magically cancelled and the confirmation emails were from other companies and we had to pay $400 to get on our own flight!. After calling multiple times to talk to a real person beyond the concierge and “manager” they hang up on us every time we bring up what happened. After posting about it on Facebook they reached out and still no help at all. Couldn’t even provide proof that I cancelled my flight. I will never be flying with them again.
RouteFt. Lauderdale to Dallas/Ft Worth
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Nobody knew what to do"

Not Verified | The worst airline in history. I have an 8yr old son who has cerebral palsy and cannot sit on his own or walk and we were not allowed on our flight because of this. They said they did not know how to accommodate us with him being over the age limit to sit in my lap but also if he got a ticket that it was a flight risk if he couldn’t sit on his own. Mind you I called before the trip and after the trip to make sure that we didn’t have this problem being as it was his first time flying and his birthday. Nobody knew what to do because they said our situation was “unique”.
RouteAtlanta to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Worst Airline in the whole world!"

Trip Verified | Worst Airline in the whole world! Spirit advertises themselves as being a cheap airline. Well, breaking news, they are not! Traveling from Houston back to Maryland on September 7th, I was charged $65 for my son's carry-on luggage. A child small luggage. The manager-on duty was really unprofessional and rude. I called the customer service line to complain about the rip-off, supporting my claim with pictures, but the only answer I received was some nonsense explanation. By the way, there was another female passenger who was also charged $65 for a small duffle bag, which was her only luggage! Unbelievable!
RouteHouston to Baltimore
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"refused to wear their masks"

Trip Verified | I was on flight NK2878 from San Diego to Detroit. The family that was in the row in front of us should never be allowed to fly again. Not only did they on multiple occasions, break FAA regulations, they endangered the lives of everyone on that aircraft due to the lack of respect for CDC guidelines. They refused to wear their masks for the duration of the flight, disregarded direct orders from Spirit crew members about wearing face masks and staying in their seats on 6+ occasions, they were literally climbing over the seats, touching other passengers not in their party, and wore their seatbelt and were in their seat for a total of 30 minutes out of the entire 4 hour flight, despite orders from the captain and crew members to remain in their seats with their seatbelts fastened. The woman who was assigned to seat 10A also disregarded direct orders from Spirit employees by not wearing her face mask and encouraged the family in row 9 to disregard orders from Spirit crew members saying quote, “what are they going to do, throw us out of the plane?” When we finally landed, Spirit crew members did not execute social distancing disembarkation practices, so everyone was crowded around trying to get off the plane. Our flight out to San Diego a few days prior set a level of expectations for safe and comfortable flying during this pandemic, but this flight made my husband and I never want to fly on Spirit again due to the lack of concern for CDC guidelines and FAA regulations and ultimately, the safety of all of the passengers on that flight.
RouteSan Diego to Detroit
Date FlownAugust 2020

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]