Spirit Airlines

"it just wasn’t worth it"

Trip Verified | Buy your ticket in advance and save that way. I was charged $285 for a last minute ticket which was the reasonable option considering every other ticket was 400+ but it just wasn’t worth it. Between the chairs they make you sit in, to the over priced food/drinks on the flight to the fees they don’t tell you about. I was charged an extra 20 dollars for a “seating assignment fee” which I thought I was avoiding by picking the random seating assignment. The onboard staff were friendly but that’s about all the good I have to say about this airline.
RouteSan Diego to Chicago

"Worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Worst airline ever, they post cheap tickets then charge for everything else. Bottle of water $3, can of soda $3 etc. Carry-on $45 and checked in bag $40 with 40lb limit. On top of that every flight was delayed on our round trip from Phoenix to Cancun.
RoutePhoenix to Cancun

"Horror show"

Trip Verified | Indianapolis to Las Vegas. Horror show: worst flight in 60 years of flying. Plane from Las Vegas arrived in time around 7pm for our return in it to Las Vegas, supposedly continuing to my destination that night arriving at 1am the next day. But there was a problem with some landing gear. We waited for repairs until 1 am, when we were told that the plane would not be fixed, and hotels for overnighting were being searched for. At 4:30 am we were told that they had been found, but out in suburbs, and we would have to find and pay for our own transportation to get there. A special flight was being added the next day for us at 1pm. A high stack of thin foam mattress pads was wheeled out for us to sleep on the floor. I chose that option with a bunch of other intrepid souls, not liking the transportation options and the few hours for sleep allowed in the distant hotel offering.... I wondered at the time that a company would happen to have a supply of mattresses on hand like that. The next day, I got on that 1pm flight to Las Vegas, then caught a quick standby flight to Portland--but my luggage did not make it. Spirit's baggage handling was not available by phone, and I had reservations to continue by vacation hundreds of miles away the next day by car. By wandering around in the airport, the next morning, I spotted my small red suitcase behind a glass fronted storage cabinet... by asking a Security Guard, I got some advice about getting help from an Arrivals desk near the vacant Spirit desk, who had a key to it! On my return home, on an overnight flight sitting upright in a chair, which I have never tried to sleep in before, I did not get any sleep. The cost-cutting non-reclining seats were an inspiration from hell, and the desk-bound decision maker's purchase of bungee straps to hold safety cards and not a pouch to store waterbottles in so they did not roll dangerously about on the floor should be used to replace chairs for these idiots to sit on!
RouteIndianapolis to Las Vegas

"Non-existent customer service"

Trip Verified | The worst. Non-existent customer service, filthy seats, disgusting bathroom with toilet paper and urine on floor. Super tight, no legroom or personal space between customers, sat between two people coughing and hacking and sneezing the whole flight. Crew member was lazy and offered no assistance to anyone. The worst part yet? They ripped me off for my flight home. I accidentally booked a p.m. when I needed an a.m. flight. (There is no way to change your flight after you book it online). When I tried to phone customer service they put you on hold for hours and hours so you can’t try to make changes. In order to get home, it cost me money for an additional flight because their policy was 24 hours. They just kept my money, no credit. When I did finally got hold of someone they disconnected the call when I asked to talk with a supervisor.
RouteBaltimore to Tampa

"Horrible experience"

Not Verified | Horrible experience. Never fly Spirit Airlines. My husband and 7 year old daughter are trying to get home from Houston when the flight was delayed twice then eventually cancelled "due to weather." I am in Denver 20 minutes from the airport and the weather is fine. The only reason they say this is so they arent obligated to put people in a hotel room. Now they cant get another flight out until Wednesday a day and a half later. To top it off the "customer service" people at the counter were rude beyond belief, when the slightest but of frustration was showed by a passenger they threatened to call airport security on them. Such a horrible experience for my 7 year old to witness. Pay the extra 30 bucks for a good airline that cares about their customers.
RouteHouston to Denver
Date FlownJune 2019

"Don't be fooled by the cheap fares"

Not Verified | Las Vegas to Seattle. So my flight was delayed, no big deal, this happens all the time, so let's ignore that part. The truly sad part about my flight is that I'm sure, as far as the airline is concerned, everything went as expected (aside from the delay). This was the worst flying experience in 25 years of flying, by a mile. Don't be fooled by the cheap fares, they charge you for everything and provide nothing. Early Check-in - Pay Me. Pick a seat? - Pay Me (Most airlines will automatically at least seat people together who book their tickets together, not these guys). Check a bag - Pay Me. Bring a carry-on - Pay Me. Any snacks? - Pay Me. Only a matter of time before thye start charging for taking a pee. Worst seats in the world. Don't recline, have no padding, no headrests, no entertainment screen. Zero entertainment options available, not even so much as a SkyMall magazine. They found the bottom of the barrel, kicked it out and just kept digging. Pathetic excuse for an airlines. Never, never, never again Spirit Airlines.
RouteLas Vegas to Seattle

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Never fly Spirit. We had a horrendous experience flying from Montego Bay to BWI yesterday (delays, diverted, detained on the tarmac for 3 hours, a very sarcastic flight attendant, only a half a glass of water and small biscotti available, restrooms with urine all over the floor, refusal to refund but a lovely offer for a $50 voucher to fly with them again within 60 days. Horrendous. Horrible customer service.
RouteMontego Bay to Baltimore
Date FlownJune 2019

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Boston. When trying to check in (not realizing I had boarding pass already on phone) tried to scan on machine, which kept reading not checked in yet. I went to an employee for help, she couldn’t bother looking at my phone to tell me know the boarding pass was on my phone (if always printed out boarding passes) told her the machine kept saying we must check in first, she all she kept saying was get in line to check in for flight, Wouldn’t even take the time to listen, that I had already checked in. We were returning from a memorial they had at the Vietnam Veterans site for all veterans that had passed away after arriving home from Vietnam. My husband had just passed away due to agent orange exposure and I was devastated and still confused because of his death. But this employee wouldn’t listen at all as I tried to explain to her I had checked In already, along with my son and young grandson. She just kept saying get in line, where people were checking bags, we had no bags to check in with and by this time it was 5:15 and had to wait in line for over 45 minutes with people that were checking their bags. Running to security, then to gate ( I had hurt my back and have horrible sciatica down my leg) but my son ran a head and got to the gate at 5:55. The attendant told us the doors just closed and we were unable to board plane. So we missed our plane home after a very emotional 2 days, because an employee at the check in wouldn’t take the time to look at my phone and explain I could use that for boarding pass and did not need to wait in line for 45 minutes. I will never use this airline again. Also now reading others experience with this airline ( should have known better when calling with questions before even leaving for this trip. The customer service for this airline is just as bad, no matter what button you press for a question. They also have NO discounts for families of Americans veterans, money is all that matter to this airline. Never again will I ever use this airline, no compassion, no help with questions from their customers. Horrible!!
RouteBaltimore to Boston

"the worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Philadelphia to Las Vegas. Flight was rescheduled 4 times in the same day and I reached the airport just to find out that the flight was cancelled. All other airlines were operating that day. Spirit Airlines is the worst airline ever and I will never book with them again. Their customer service is poor too!
RoutePhiladelphia to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2019

"Never fly with this airline"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Ft Lauderdale via Denver. Our first flight was delayed out of Cancun, Mexico. The agent told us that we would have 30 minutes to pick up our bags, make it through customs, recheck the bags, get through security, and get to the gate. This was very hard to do with my 71 year old uncle who is a Navy Veteran and was recouping from a prior ankle surgery. Still, we devised a plan. I helped him and my aunt & uncle through the airport while my boyfriend dealt with the bags. My boyfriend and I made it to the gate and on the plane. My aunt and uncle were just behind us since the metal detector went down in their security line, causing another delay. They showed up to the gate just one minute after boarding ended and were not allowed on. My boyfriend and I tried over and over to explain the situation to the flight attendants, but no one cared. It was THEIR OWN flight that was delayed, yet the only response we kept getting was "Well, they should have made it to the gate on time. I don't care who he is or what he went through, the gates are closed. Now take your seat." The "next flight out" wasn't available until the next morning and it was a 12 hour flight with FOUR layovers, one of which was only 30 minutes long. My aunt had to purchase 2 new one way tickets for $1200 just to get home via United airlines, 24 hours later. Spirit has yet to respond to my complaint or offer the refund they promised for the flight from FLL to Denver. On top of all this, they also turned away two handicap families who were also waiting to board the flight, but were told to wait. Those two families were offered the same 12 hour flight with 4 layovers. One family had a mentally handicapped little girl in a wheel chair and the other family had someone who was on oxygen. Spirit doesn't care how much money you paid, the issues THEY caused, or who you are. They will treat you like you're nothing without hesitation. Never fly with this airline.
RouteCancun to Ft Lauderdale via Denver

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]