Spirit Airlines

"my flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | On April 18, 2019 I checked into my flight with Spirit Airlines (Atlanta, GA to Tampa, FL) and added a digital copy of my ticket to my phone and went to bed. I had to get up very early for the flight the next day (April 19, 2019) that left around 0600 hrs. I woke up around 0330 hrs. and arrived at the airport approximately 0415 hrs., cleared security and was about to board the tram to head to my gate when I read the flight gate schedule board and saw that my flight was cancelled by Spirit. I was shocked! Every other flight scheduled that day by all airliners, including additional Spirit Airlines flights, were on-time. I immediately called Spirit customer service. I was asked by the Spirit customer service representative if I'd like to fly out tomorrow for an additional $350. I said no, I'd like to fly out today. He replied that it was no issue and that he'd check with Delta Airlines, their "sister" company for flights heading to Tampa today (April 19, 2019). Mind you there were two occupants flying, myself and my girlfriend. He offered me two tickets for an additional $900+! I said, no way! The staff member told me the reason why the prices were so high is because I was booking last minute. I advised that the reason why I was booking last minute is because you (Spirit) cancelled my flight! I declined the outrageous offer. They should've been able to compensate me. Instead I was not given a refund. I was not given a flight voucher. Or any reasonable accommodation for the cancelled flight or a way to get to my destination. I was out the money I spent on the tickets on the flight they cancelled. Because of Spirit Airlines I was forced to rent a vehicle and drive 7 hours to Tampa in torrential rainfall, tornadic winds, isolated tornadoes, hail, and flash flooding. Worst airline ever! I do not recommend Spirit Airlines. They place profit over their consumers. It turns out that American flights are horribly “unprotected” for delays and cancellations. Airlines in the US are not required to compensate consumers for delayed flights and cancellations.
RouteAtlanta to Tampa
Date FlownApril 2019

"was the worst experience"

Trip Verified | They canceled our connecting flight from New Orleans to Baltimore. The flight attendant told me there wasn't enough crew for the flight to Baltimore. The airline lied and said it was the weather, the weather was fine on the east coast that day. My family and I had to drive 20 hours home, on Easter sunday. The only thing they were willing to do was fly us home 4 days after our original flight was supposed to leave. The didn't offer any compensation for what we spend driving home. The plane seats sucked. This was the worst experience I've ever had with an airline. What you save you end up having to spend anyways!
RouteBaltimore to Tampa

"Horrible seats"

Not Verified | Orlando to Bogota with Spirit Airlines. Horrible seats, you can't recline them, smaller than a regular economy seat and I'm a just 125 pounds. Extra fee for baggage $50 plus carry on charge $35 per way, so you can get a better service and no worries in another airline. No snacks or water, get ready your credit car for a extra charge.
RouteOrlando to Bogota
Date FlownApril 2019

"pleasantly surprised with Spirit"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Montego Bay. I was pleasantly surprised with Spirit. The crew and pilot were friendly and informative every step of the way. Our flight was cancelled, but we received the email notification. Because of that we were able to extend our hotel stay. The seats could have been a bit bigger but I had a direct flight for only 3.5 hours.
RouteBaltimore to Montego Bay
Date FlownApril 2019

"my flight was cancelled!"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Atlantic City. From the night before I was receiving email delays in 15 mins increments. Then the next morning, the day I am supposed to depart, the delays continued. I thought okay, maybe there were so weather issues, so I checked the airline to where I would be flying into, and it was nothing going on. So, I said okay, now to note, my flight was scheduled to leave at 9:40pm. I received another notification at 4pm that my flight was cancelled! Can you imagine how upset I was to learn that my flight was cancelled and there was nothing available to book until Monday, April 22, 2019, which was extremely disappointing. The idea of feeling stranded was nerve wrecking. I was in disbelief. I literally had to book with another airline who was able to offer me a flight where I had to pay triple the amount of the trip but at least I got home the day I was supposed to get home.
RouteOrlando to Atlantic City
Date FlownApril 2019

"cancel my connecting flight"

Not Verified | Horrible experience with this airline. They cancel my connecting flight from Baltimore to Boston and they don’t offer any options or compensation is because they say it’s weather related but the weather in Boston was fine. Then they tell me that I can get a cancellation of my second flight over the phone so I can get a refund and when I call they say they had they can’t help me. I had to drive eight hours.
RouteOrlando to Baltimore

"Flight was canceled"

Trip Verified | New York to Santo Domingo. Flight was canceled for no reason. Huge issue caused to me. Operator didn't care about this and didn't offer any additional compensation other than refund. They're so bad. I will never travel with them again
RouteNew York to Santo Domingo
Date FlownApril 2019

"Easter plans are ruined"

Not Verified | Cancun Mexico to Baltimore Maryland with Spirit Airlines. Avoid flying this airline at all costs. Seats are very uncomfortable, no WiFi, no tvs. Our flight got cancelled due to “weather conditions” but I have read many other reviews that occurred today and other flights were cancelled due to the same reasoning. Easter plans are ruined. Have to pay for an extra day of parking, and our poor dog was dropped off at home with none of my family home for him.
RouteCancun Mexico to Baltimore Maryland

"Absolutely the worst"

Not Verified | Dallas to Chicago. Absolutely the worst by a long shot! Customer service is a completely foreign subject to these people. I really can't believe that a major company like this could stay in business this long. All the words I'm willing to waste on this sorry excuse of an airline.
RouteDallas to Chicago

"Spirit does not care"

Not Verified | Phoenix to Minneapolis canceled as we were on our way to the airport today. The next flight out that Spirit offered was two and three days from today. Ridiculous! People have lives, jobs, kids, school, exams and animals to get back to. Spirit offered a lame refund and offered no funds for the extra cost of hotel to stay 3 more nights, or for the dog sitting or rearrange daycare and so forth. Never again will I fly Spirit. We are getting a ride to Las Vegas which is a 5 hour drive and leaves at midnight. Spirit does not care about any customer whatsoever. All the pilots should boycott Spirit and find other employment as well.
RoutePhoenix to Minneapolis

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]