Spirit Airlines

"Worst airline I’ve ever dealt with"

Not Verified | Worst airline I’ve ever dealt with. First they changed the flight six times, I show up and they check my bag. Then I get a ticket and the 'help person' throws my ticket in the trash and says my flight ticket is no good! I inform them I need my bag at this point to go figure out what’s going on. So I call the next day because it is late and I can’t find a real person to talk to over the phone. The next day I get someone and they tell me they can’t refund the cost of the ticket and make me feel like a liar! I will never fly Spirit again! What a horrible company they are to treat their customers that way!
RouteOrlando to Dallas
Date FlownMay 2021

"This airline has no honesty"

Trip Verified | I booked this flight on March 29th. I bought and paid the upgrade to seats 2A and 2C (Big Front Seats) on both flights. Both were available, and I bought and paid for both. A month later I received a call from Spirit Air that my return flight seats were changed to the first row. I told them that was not acceptable. I am a senior citizen handicapped with heart disease, COPD and diabetes. Worst of all I have been diagnosed with claustrophobia. There is a wall in front of the 1st row seats that is a problem for me. In addition, there is a wall behind the 2nd row seats which protects me from someone kicking my seat. They insisted that seat 2C was purchased before me but how could that be if this seat showed available when I bought and paid for it. This airline customer service is terrible. Once a staff member realizes that I am right and I am not going away they tell me they are not authorized to help me and transfers me to someone else that requires a 45 minute hold. The do not care about compliance to the Americans with Disabilities act which protects people with claustrophobia. This airline has no honesty, they are ignorant and do not have a clue as to what good customer service is.
RouteMyrtle Beach to Philadelphia
Date FlownMay 2021

"they do not care for their customers"

Trip Verified | Somehow everyone was super rude at all times, not caring at all for the customers. The plane space was tiny, seats do not recline back and you’re basically sitting shoulder to shoulder with the people beside you. At disembarking everyone just gets up and the flight attendants usually say nice things like have a nice day or what not, in this case they did not do so. Every flight so far on Spirit has been the opposite, they do not care for their customers. I would not recommend flying with Spirit
RouteLas Vegas to Atlanta
Date FlownMay 2021

"hold at least 30 minutes for every call"

Not Verified | I have a flight scheduled for May 21st. I need to make a change to that flight. I’ve been trying to contact customer service for 3 days. Been on hold at least 30 minutes for every call even calling several times a day. No answer. Called in again but this time I selected to purchase a new ticket in the option menu and someone immediately picked up. What a joke of an airline. No wonder they’re hemorrhaging money. Wish I could just get my money back and fly American.
RouteAustin to Tampa
Date FlownMay 2021

"The discomfort is not worth it"

Not Verified | Although it may appear cheaper once you add luggage it's only marginally less than other airlines. The discomfort is not worth it. The agents at Fort Lauderdale Airport are extremely rude and one accused me of lying.
RouteNewark to Punta Cana via Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownMay 2021

"plane was delayed 5 times"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Chicago via Ft Lauderdale. Don't even know where to begin, very frustrated. We got at the airport 3 hrs before and so far our plane was delayed 5 times - 11 hrs waiting. Customer services 0 quality.
RouteSan Jose to Chicago via Ft Lauderdale

"Terrible Customer service"

Trip Verified | I was charged for my personal Item, it did fit on the measurement box, it passed on precheck. They only do this to charge us double when we about to board. Terrible Customer service.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Houston

"customer service is horrible

Not Verified | Both of our bags were damaged and not able to be used any longer. I tried to submit a damaged claim the day after we were home and their website would not work for me. I have chatted and called their customer service multiple times and not one person would or could help me. I finally sent everything in the mail and I chatted today to check on it and they told me I was past my four days to submit the claim. I again them explained everything and was told to call a number. I submitted two complaints and nothing still has been done. Their customer service is horrible and their handling of baggage as well. I will never fly Spirit again. you get what you pay for I guess.
RouteTampa to Detroit
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Very poor customer service"

Trip Verified | On April 30, 2021 I made a reservation on Spirit Airlines as my flight had just cancelled on another carrier so I needed one fast. I purchased on Spirit as the gate was next the carry on bag even though it as considered personal item just to me sure I would not get dinged at airport and chose my seat paying for both at the time of reservation. Immediately ( within 10 minutes) of booking, I tried to change it as I made it for the wrong day. I found I could not without pay a $79 cancellation or change fee. I called and after waiting for quite some time was told I was out of luck but could have a travel voucher for the remaining value of the ticket. Very poor customer service in that regard. My advice is buyer beware with Spirit Airlines, the poor ratings on the web are accurate for a reason.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Ft Lauderdale

"rude to passengers"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Rude staff arguing in front of customers and then rude to passengers. I was unable to complete online check in with my foreign card and needed to pay for checked bags in order to check in. Waited in line and ended up late for check in by 5mins. Will never ever recommend this airline. Sort out your staff and their attitudes!
RouteIndianapolis to Fort Lauderdale

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]