Spirit Airlines

"First and last time with Spirit"

Trip Verified | Houston to Orlando. Much better off flying American Airlines. Never in my 32 years have I been charged for a carry on. Spirit is deceptive making you think they are a deal. After paying for the carry on, it’s not much less than American Airlines, which is much more comfortable and more direct flights. First and last time with Spirit, easy decision.
RouteHouston to Orlando
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Bottom of the barrel airline"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Las Vegas. Bottom of the barrel airline. Booked through Expedia in haste. Paid for a small carry-on bag that actually fit in their free "personal item" metal cage. I inadvertently signed up for some spirit club ($60) and they refused to refund my money after cancelling within days.
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"will never fly spirit again"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Hartford via Ft Lauderdale. I booked a flight within 6 days of the flight, tried to cancel the ticket within 12 hours for a refund or even a decent voucher. Couldn’t do either, 60 days is the voucher and a refund isn’t possible. They charge you a fee for a 135 dollars if you want to switch flight. Or if you go to the app and try to book another flight for cheaper they try to charge me an extra 120, for a flight that’s 150. I canceled my membership with them and I will never fly spirit again.
RouteTampa to Hartford via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"last time flying Spirit"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Atlanta. This was my first time on a plane and all I can say is this will be my last time flying Spirit. I had to pay $65 for my small suitcase. I was told it was too big just by them looking at it, but after I paid I see everybody else walking up in line measuring their bags then getting on the plane. How can they know my bag is too big if no one said I could measure it. On the way back home I measured my bag. It fit, but I was charged $55 at that point. They said my bag won’t fit under my seat. But it fit in the measurement. Im confused on the policy and I feel like my money was too for no reason. Not only that, an empty felt like it was ok to walk up in my face just to repeat the same thing another employee was already telling me. When she couldn’t get her point across, she yelled out for them to cancel my flight. They didn’t, but I’m sure employees don’t supposed to walk up in customers faces just to get their point across. I’m not obligated to listen to you repeat what I already heard.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I will never fly Spirit again"

Not Verified | Oakland to Las Vegas. I was charged $65 for a carry on, without asking me if my carry on fits their size threshold. At the counter the staff did not even put my carry on in the basket to see if it fits. She saw I have a carry on and she said $65. It did not sound right at all. When I arrived at my destination, I approached the counter asking what happened, the lady took my carry on and placed in in the size basket and it fit right in. She said "why were you charged" I said I do not know. I was given a number to call. My trip was for only 24 hours stay in Vegas for a funeral. The next day when I arrived back to Oakland CA. I approached the same staff at the counter asking why was I charged with out fitting my carry on, She said "sorry sir, we were too busy and hectic". She asked me to speak to her supervisor at downstair departure main counters. I spoke with the supervisor, he fit my beg saw it was fitting. He said to allow him to speak to the employee in the back door inside their office. He came back saying the employee said I had a different bag the day before. I told him that she at her counter just told me she was sorry and she was hectic and mistakenly charged me, and now that I am not before her she says I had a different bag? The manager told me to email customer support to recover the charge. Which I will, and I told him if this to lie to me again, and just to brush me off I will come back to his counter. After emailing back and forth and sending the pictures of my bag inside the carry on fit basket, they said the handle of my beg was slightly higher than the line. They refused to reimburse the charge. I felt completely ripped off. I will never fly Spirit again.
RouteOakland to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2018

"felt so wantonly disregarded"

Trip Verified | We (my wife, my son, and I) were flying from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Denver, Colorado yesterday, 1/27/19 on a Spirit flight and I would say this was the type of flight that gives one a fear of flying. We sat on the plane prior to take off for 2 hours and the FA waited until my wife finally reached the restroom after sitting for hours without substantial update and cut her off to wash her hands offering not even a side glance in for explanation. She appeared to have reached the point in ones job where they dislike others in an indiscriminate way a decade ago at least. She glared at people angrily over her magazine for taking emergency calls during this 2 hours and dug her nails into her chair when the plane shook violently for most of the flight while my wife gripped my hand worriedly and the woman across the isle visibly appeared to pray under her breathe. She offered no service or comfort at all. The other attendants remained mostly in the front refilling beverages. I’ve never felt so wantonly disregarded on a flight.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Denver
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the lowest level of care"

Trip Verified | Oakland to Las Vegas with Spirit Airlines. Absolutely the lowest level of care and customer service with this airline. They just want to charge you big fees on everything after they lure you in with a low fare. No help to a first time customer who made a time mistake but didn't catch it until after the 24 hour window (spam folder). Flight 2 months away and still wouldn't budge to help a family of 4 do a simple switch to the AM version. I will now never again book to fly with this horrible company.
RouteOakland to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I was told I was too late"

Trip Verified | Fort Myers to Boston. Horrible. Absolutely the worst service! Arrived 50 minutes before my domestic flight departed and tried to check in at the check in counter. I was told I was too late, that I missed my flight. After 40 minutes of arguing with them that my flight didnt leave for 50 minutes, and that I could checkin up up to 30 minutes prior to my flight leaving, they told me too bad I missed it. I had to be rescheduled for the middle of the day on Monday. All they said was that I should be lucky I got a new flight. Will never fly with Spirit again. Would rather pay triple the amount on another carrier.
RouteFort Myers to Boston
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"very accommodating and calm"

Trip Verified | Houston to Chicago. Ive never had an issue with Spirit Airlines prior to this situation. On January 27th, my flight was cancelled to Chicago. I was placed on a connecting flight to Orlando after being told no seats were available on the direct flight at 7 am the next day. However, when I got to my gate the next morning for the connecting flight, I decided to speak to staff and she was very knowledgeable and got me right on the flight direct to Chicago, granted it was delayed as well, i appreciated her being so helpful. Along with her and their Manager, were very accommodating and calm. They had a lot of angry guests and they got through all of their questions quickly and curtiously.
RouteHouston to Chicago

"be prepared to pay"

Trip Verified | Santo Domingo to Newark. If you are flying internationally like we did think twice. They charge for everything. I saw some people being charged for a small bookbag!, There is no personal luggage that is free except your purse or small laptop bag. Don't take extra. Luggage is only 40 Lbs where in all other airlines you get free personal luggage plus purse/bag not to mention suitcase are only $25 while spirit charges online $45 I paid at the airport "carry on" which i thought was free $55 plus my $45 rip off! then I have to pay when I came back. So be prepared to 1) pay for each suitcase $45-$55 each (65 at the gate) 2) cannot exceed 40lbs or be prepared to pay. Uncomfortable small plain, they won't even give you ice, nothing at all, Don't pay for extra leg space etc there is no such thing as first class we were on the 5th row. You pay for your suitcases to go and to come. If you want your seats pre-selected prior to flight, its extra money.
RouteSanto Domingo to Newark

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]