Spirit Airlines

"worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | The customer service here is the worst. Spirit employee was very rude. I would not recommend this airline to my worst enemy. I was charged $55 for a gym bag that I travelled with when I left Florida to Tennessee which I was told was acceptable as a carry-on. However, these employees seemed not to have had the training and there is a level of inconsistency. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra $20 or so to fly with another airline carrier. I have never experienced such level of unprofessionalism from any other airline carriers which I have traveled with. Spirit has the worst customer service ever.
RouteNashville to Ft. Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2021

"angry with your services today"

Trip Verified | I am very frustrated, upset and totally angry with your services today. Tthe flight was delayed 4 times. Boarding started for this flight at 8:00 pm. I boarded at 8:14 pm. We were on the plane until approximately 9:28 pm. During this time there was no air circulating, no Covid prevention, no water offer and no explanation. With no circulating air my migraine headache was triggered and I had nothing to drink. I needed some water after seating in this hot plane and need to take some medicine, (I am 66 years old with type 2 diabetic and high blood pressure), I was told a bottle of water would be $3.00. The young man sitting beside me was having a panic attack or something and it was frightening. Finally at 11:07 pm the man on the isle seat contacted the Attendant and she rearranged the seating. She also offered me a water. I am so dissatisfied and disappointed with this trip. The delay was awful and the time sitting 1 hour and a half was excruciating and frightening. We never heard anything from the Captain and only had one brief announcement from the Flight Attendant after 45 minutes and nothing else. They were not Customer Service friendly at all.
RouteAustin to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2021

"Their customer service is even worse than the flights"

Not Verified | Paid for a direct flight, which was changed to a 2 hour layover in Florida. This layout was delayed several times and I sat in the airport for over 4 hours, not arriving to my destination until after 5pm (originally was to be there at 9am). That is not even the worst, they changed my flight and had me returning a whole day earlier. This was done without any notice provided to me. They then refused me a refund, only wanting to give a credit — like I would ever fly with them again. If I was stranded on an island and that was the only airline available, call me Gilligan. Their customer service is even worse than the flights. I was on hold for about 45 minutes before someone picked up the first time and 35 minutes the second time. My third call was a 27 minute wait before someone picked up but said nothing as I kept saying hello. They were there because I heard talking in the background. I am contacting my bank to stop payment, since I had to pay $471 to Delta to come home from vacation.
RouteColumbus to New Orleans
Date FlownApril 2021

"Never again will I fly this airline"

Not Verified | Ruined our vacation! I missed two days of my family reunion because they kept changing our flights. We had paid for a direct flight but they sent us to other cities. I had to pay for two hotel rooms. Sat over 14 hours in airports trying to get to family reunion and then back home. We had checked in at 10:35 am to come home and then was not allowed on flight because" you didn't check in". How do they think we got past security and had a boarding pass with the flight number, assigned seat and my name on it? We had checked in. Ended up sitting over 8 hours just to finally board and get back to Dallas. Because of them, spent together over $600.00 on hotels, food, luggage check in and just to have water they expected money. Fly them if you have no important even to get to. Never again will I fly this airline.
RouteDallas to Atlanta
Date FlownApril 2021

"This trip was awful and I did not appreciate it at all"

Trip Verified | This trip was awful and I did not appreciate it at all. Service was rude including the supervisor on duty leaving out on April 16th 2021. I had a carry on bag that I’ve been using with no issue at all and they had the nerve to tell me it wouldn’t fit and I’d have to pay $65, I made it clear that I’ve been traveling with the bag and that it is carry on and I’ve had no issues! I then had to take my things out which fit two small plastic clear zip bags and carry it both ways on my trip. The trip was also an emergency. The supervisor ignored me until I called a family member to let them know what was going on and heard my family say we will transfer the money to your bank. The supervisor then proceeded to say I well if they are going to pay don’t take your things out. I looked her in her eyes and said they won’t be paying and I’ll be carrying my things. I feel I didn’t have your attention when needed remember you are the supervisor and there’s nothing you can do then just turn your back on me until you over hear my phone conversation. I’ve been flying with this airline with no issue for years even with a bigger carry on so yes mind blowing and upsetting.
RouteLos Angeles to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2021

"I wish I'd have never taken the trip"

Not Verified | Worst flight experience of my life. My flight was canceled a week before my trip and I was never notified. Thankfully I checked the status myself and saw it had been canceled two days prior to my departure. When I called I was told the only other option was an additional $1,500 ($460 of which was baggage fees that I was never informed of - more than my original tickets total!). I went ahead and reserved this flight for fear of it being last minute. I called an hour later to cancel the whole trip and was told that that was not possible because it was within seven days of departure. I explained the situation and was told that it wasn't their problem because it was policy. So although it was an hour after the call I made and they'd never informed me of the cancellation of my original flight, it was now a nightmare for me which they had no intention of helping with for their part in it. I also was unable to get refunded for the additional baggage fees that I wasn't informed of - I reminded them that they record all calls for "quality assurance" to prove my case and they couldn't have cared less. Fast forward to the flights themselves and the spotty service and needless to say I wish I'd have never taken the trip I'd looked forward to for months. A few of the flight attendants were kind, but every flight seemed to have one bad apple. Not to mention the $3 charge for a stinking bottle of water! Is anything included with them anymore?
RoutePittsburgh to Cancun via Orlando
Date FlownApril 2021

"I will never fly Spirit again"

Trip Verified | We arrived more than 2 hours before the flight and were at the gate more than an hour and 30 minutes before the flight was to leave. An hour before takeoff it was announced that the flight was delayed by 3 hours. We were OK with that, understanding things happen. Then 30 minutes later it was announced that the flight was cancelled. I talked with a few Spirit employees and their attitude was that they could not care less. We went to the ticket counter and the guy said the earliest flight we could get on was 8 days later. I asked for a refund. I will never fly Spirit again. Spirit is cheap but they have no problem screwing you to save money. We eventually rented a car and drove 19 hours home which cost over $1000.
RouteFort Myers to Indianapolis
Date FlownApril 2021

"disrespectful and unprofessional individuals"

Trip Verified | This flight crew was the most disrespectful and unprofessional individuals you can imagine. I have an autistic child who started to cry hysterical due to fear of being in the airplane. Before we took, of one of the flight attendant was just coldly saying that mask must be fully on on child. Remember my child having anxiety and crying. None of the crew member tried to come and calm my child or offer anything to us to get my son to calm down. After being seated for 5 minutes literally they asked us to calm him down or we have to leave the flight. I was shocked and mortified with the way we were treated and tears just started rolling my eyes thinking of how awful some people can be. I left with 4 other family member the flight. A gentleman who works there was really trying to help us find next available flight which took some time. But he was nice enough to find us a flight. We ended up taking the flight to Baltimore. The crew there was absolutely wonderful and made us not feel like we are aliens. My child was hysterically crying again but once we were up in the sky he calmed down. Everyone on the flight was understanding and wonderful. Please who ever that crew was on this particular flight was disgusting and should not be working in this field since they are clearly not able to handle any tough situations with upmost respect. I will never fly again with Spirit due to this experience. It’s a 7 year old child crying out of fear. Are you kidding me??
RouteOrlando to Newark
Date FlownApril 2021

"it was a very pleasant and easy experience"

Not Verified | Spirit is a great airline choice! The tickets were cheap and very convenient! It is a great, inexpensive airline, stripped of all of the unnecessary apparatus that other airlines have. All that being said, I would recommend Spirit for shorter flights, where comfort doesn't really matter. The seats are small and sparse. I would also recommend Spirit for singles with little luggage because it could be really cheap. I was worried by the terrible reviews online, but it was a very pleasant and easy experience. Get to your flight on time, follow the guidelines, and you'll enjoy your flight with Spirit.
RouteOrlando, FL to Boston, MA
Date FlownApril 2021

"Never fly with this airline"

Not Verified | Never fly with this airline. I would give them 0 stars if that were an option. I reached my boarding gates with a negative antigen Covid test in hand, but because the test results were not written in lamens terms and did not specifically state “antigen” test on the document, I was denied boarding - rudely and blatantly. The crew were extremely rude and slammed the boarding doors closed in my face. It ended up costing me over $400 to rebook my flights with another airline, and get a hotel. They told me there was nothing they could do for me and that the next departing flight was one week away. I cannot believe this airline is in business. It is the worst experience I have ever had flying in my entire life. Strongly recommend anyone considering flying with them to stay away.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Lima

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]