Spirit Airlines

"delayed 3 times"

Trip Verified | Indianapolis to Orlando via Philadelphia. Once again, employee are rude. Don't know information., plane from Indianapolis was delayed 3 times, then finally get to Orlando after 5pm, Then again plane delayed until 8:45pm, Won't get to Philadelphia until Midnight.
RouteIndianapolis to Orlando via Philadelphia
Date FlownJune 2019

"delay has caused major problems"

Not Verified | My flight from Oakland to New Orleans was delayed by 3 hours, which caused me to have to pay a $500 rebooking fee through my missed connecting flight the next morning. This is the second weekend in a row that Spirit's multi-hour delay has caused major problems for my flights. Spirit refused to offer any compensation for this and didn't offer any solutions. Customer service was unhelpful and employees at the airport were (literally) non-existent. I used to use Spirit exclusively due to their slightly cheaper flights, but the headaches and major financial burden they have been the cause of lately are no longer worth it.
RouteOakland to Las Vegas via New Orleans
Date FlownJune 2019

"Needless to say never again"

Not Verified | 65$ for the Carry-On. Needless to say never again. I've not boarded yet, but the standard they're setting against other airlines makes me think that the company is overall greedy. It's not the crew's fault, but the company itself should be ashamed of itself. I can understand check-in and that was why I'd decided to pack light. But to be slapped with this charge for round trip!? It's absurd quite frankly.
Date FlownJune 2019

"beyond disgusted with this airline"

Not Verified | I'm beyond disgusted with this airline right now as are 95% of the customers on my flight today. I flew on flight 490 from Orlando to Greensboro. I recieved an email last night that our flight would be on time flying out at 11:40 this morning. Myself, my boyfriend and our two kids ages 2.5 years old and 6.5 years old woke up early and checked out of our resort. We arrived at the airport and stood in the 45-60min wait to check our bag which was ridiculous. The proceeded to the security line only to see our flight was cancelled. Went through security and to the gate our flight was supposed to leave from. Ask what was going on and was told our flight was cancelled due to weather. It was clear in Orlando, so I called my mother ro ask her about weather in Greensboro, she stated it was clear. Again I have 2 small kids and am being told our flight is cancelled basically for no reason. Then about 30-60 mins later we hear it's been delayed and will be boarding at 12:30, leaving out of gate 31 now. So we proceed to gate 31 and wait.  We were told not to got too far because the crew would be boarding soon a d then we would be able to board. We boarded at 12:55. We were then told the baggage count was off so they would recount and then we'd be on our way. They recounted and the count was right after 20mins. Then we were told we now had to wait for another crew member who was on an incoming flight. We found this odd seeing as we didn't have to do that before but now we needed another crew member? Who was on an incoming flight? Seriously? Again I have 2 small children. So we waited and waited and waited some more. We were not offered any drinks or food during our 2 hour wait on the plane. No one came around to check on us. My kids were starving and thirsty. My youngest child needed a diaper change, but there was no where to change him. No one cared about any of us. This was their first flight experience and this was horrible.  We were told the crew member had finally arrived but then they couldnt locate them so we waited even more. Then were told again the had landed again and were on their way. We finally left at 3:10. We were asked different we wanted to purchase anything, over 90% of the plane declined as we were all disgusted no one offered us anything, gave us no updates, didnt check on kids, didnt check on the elderly, or if anyone needed medications or anything. We arrived around 4:40 I wrote my review for Spirit and only got offered $50 airline vultures to be used by this month, June.
RouteGreensboro to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2019

"Service was terrible"

Trip Verified | Denver to Seattle. Worst airline ever. Service was terrible, waited for hours and airline was poor. Don’t use this airline. Stewardesses thought they were awesome. They weren’t.
RouteDenver to Seattle
Date FlownMay 2019

"There was a booking error"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Chicago. I booked a one way ticket departing on Wednesday (tomorrow) and arriving at 10:53am. When I went to check in for my flight I noticed the confirmation was for yesterday. There was a booking error, When I called spirit to tell them the booking date was wrong and if I can switch to the day I needed they said there are no flights that day. When I looked on line there were 4 seats available at the same time I was supposed to be scheduled, but for a lot more money. I just now got a confirmation email from Spirit regarding the get ready to travel, options to pick a seat and baggage info, for my upcoming flight, however it’s dated for yesterday, when it was supposed to be for tomorrow!
RouteTampa to Chicago
Date FlownDecember 2018

"most entertaining flight"

Not Verified | I wanted to say I had the most entertaining flight with Spirit I’ve ever had. On May 25, 2019 flight 1669 from Columbus Oh to Orlando Fl because of the crew. I really thought they must be comedians. I realize Spirit doesn’t have the greatest ratings but this was a memorable, fun filled 2.5 hour flight because of the attendants! Great job guys!
RouteColumbus to Orlando
Date FlownMay 2019

"do not fly with Spirit Airlines"

Not Verified | Spirit staff was the rudest in customer service that I have ever experienced. They make you feel like you are absolutely stranded with no remorse or apologies. We travel a lot and get that things happen, but when you feel like you have to fight to get home and pay extra money for a hotel room, rides to and from the airport, food, and toiletries that were lost by Spirit it is a horrible feeling. Pay the extra with other airlines because you will end up paying the exact same with what they charge for seats, carry-ons, checked bags, and food/drinks. They cancelled our flight due to weather when all other flights were on time from our location to our destination around the same time. They gave us minimal options to get home. A refund of $170, to fly home 24 hours later with 2 layovers, or to fly home 2 days later. The staff in Austin Airport for Spirit airlines was completely understaffed and not trained properly to handle the situation of a cancelled flight with the website and app not working. The manager was completely overwhelmed and frantic. He was dealing with the pilots and the unhappy travelers that their flights were just cancelled with no other options. They showed no remorse. Valerie in Spirit airlines Austin tried her best, but when we triple checked with her if our bags were going from Austin to our layover destination she stated yes. All of our luggage did not make it to our layover destination for 24 hours and they could not tell us where our luggage was or if it would end up at our final destination. Each person we encountered we felt like we had to fight or argue for answers. Not one staff member was helpful or apologetic for the huge hassle of travel and stress they had caused. The 3 of us girls were traveling together and they could not put us on the same flight home. We were forced to split up. They authorized one of us to fly home 2 days later when we never agreed to that. We wanted the chance to be put on standby to have a chance at getting on the same flight. We called on our baggage the next day, which somehow got split up. At first the lady answers the phone and says I can’t help you, you will get an update in 24-48 hours. She did not even try or ask for our claim number. Once we were harsh and made her look at our claim number she saw our bags arriving in LAX at 2pm and 9:40pm. Once we finally made it to LAX my luggage had arrived. We went to baggage claim to pick up my friends where the staff stated they did not know where our luggage was and it may be on a delayed flight. Many other angry guests were in baggage claim as well. I walked out and stood next to random Spirit carousel (not our flight), where I saw my friends bag going around. I could go on into more details about how horrible of an experience we had and how we never thought it could get worse and it just kept getting worse. Please do not fly with Spirit Airlines.
Aircraftunknown
RouteLos Angeles to Austin
Date FlownMay 2019

"disaster of customer service"

Trip Verified | Chicago to New York. An absolute disaster of customer service: the flight cancelled due to allegedly weather conditions. A rude representative announces the next available flight is 48 hours down the road. Graciously offers a refund of 80 dollars when the price of a new ticket is over 300 (leaving alone lost wages, hotel expenses, etc) with zero willingness to accommodate in any shape or form, even though I was willing to fly anywhere within a 300 miles radius just to get back to work. Definitely the last time I or any of my family or friends flying Spirit.
RouteChicago to New York
Date FlownMay 2019

"had to pay for our carry on bag"

Not Verified | I will not be taking Spirit Airlines again. First, disappointed that me and my husband had to pay for our carry on bag (which totaled to 80 for two bags). Secondly, our flight was late because a flight attendant was late. It is one thing if the plane is late due to weather or whatever, but it is ridiculous that our flight was late because the flight attendant was late.
RouteOrlando to Raleigh

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]