Spirit Airlines

"a credit that's worthless"

Not Verified | New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale. Do Not Purchase! Cancelled because of the unfortunate virus spread and no refund but a credit that's worthless. Me and my family are beyond steamed. Just don't ever. Don't let the prices fool you, there's always a reason for everything. It may look good but it isn't after the final cost and time of things. Highly regret the recommendation
RouteNew Orleans to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Very poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Orlando. My daughter did a bundle and did not get the rental car refund despite several phone calls. Very poor customer service. She purchased 7 tickets and car rental. We got our flight only.
RouteBaltimore to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Everything is cost optimized"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Philadelphia. I took Spirit because it was the only one offering a straight through flight on short notice. Big mistake. The entire experience felt horrible. Never again. Spirit really isn't the cheaper option because they will nickle and dime you for everything. Want to take on a carry on bag? Pony up. The seats were very basic and terrible. Everything is cost optimized. It's not worth it.
RouteLos Angeles to Philadelphia
Date FlownMarch 2020

"never fly with that airline again"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Philadelphia. I will never fly with Spirit in my life. I will pay more through any other airline before I give them a cent of my money...they have a policy that they emphasize on their boarding passes that say they close the doors 15 minutes before departure. It's only 3 minutes, but it matters when you're a big airline who has a policy .. you would expect that I can trust you to follow your own policies and schedules.I had a 648 pm flight last night from philly to orlando. I got to the gate at 630 on the dot .. the door was closed! I located a supervisor at 633 at the time it was supposed to be closing, and she confirmed that she received a text from a worker at 630pm letting her know that he was closing the gate .. for 1 that is still early, and for 2 that's a lie because I got there at 630. I was forced to wait for another flight at 6am this morning, and pay $142 for a hotel room because they didnt follow their own policies m scheduling,not to mention the extra cash u had to dish out for outside food, park and fly. I will never fly with that airline again!
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia
Date FlownMarch 2020

"company is the most heartless"

Trip Verified | Boston to New Orleans. This company is the most heartless. Months ago before the corona virus outbreak I booked with Spirit seeing as it was cheap at the time, I decided to give them a chance. Now that there is no other options but the world to stay inside and try and work together to stop the spread of the virus. Ive been trying to get my flight managed. I have now been on the phone for 2 and a half hours in order to get an answer about my flight leaving tomorrow, March 18th. They said they were given immediate COVID-19 assistance online but its no where to be found, they just ask for your email and send you something saying we are taking care of it. Meanwhile I still have the flight tomorrow and absolutely no sign of reimbursement or ticket credit.
RouteBoston to New Orleans
Date FlownMarch 2020

"cancelled because of a computer glitch"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. Spirit Airlines charge for a bottle of water, seats, checked bags, and carry-on bags, no wifi or entertainment on the planes. Spirit Airlines have the most inconvenient times, late at night or early in the morning and some days do not have flights. My flight from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando was just cancelled because of a computer glitch. We sat on the plane for 3 hours before the previous flight. At least they should tell the people on the plane that we can get off after one try of trying to fix the computer problem. Then we get a notification on the Spirit app that the flight has been cancelled before the crew told us that the flight was cancelled. Spirit Airlines didn’t even send an email about how they are dealing with the corona virus and what they are doing to keep the planes clean to protect your customers! The one positive is that they give refunds on cancelled flights.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Spirit will not refund any money"

Not Verified | Detroit to Orlando. With all that is happening with the corona virus and travel restrictions, Spirit will not refund any money. They only allow you to use it for future flights within a 6 month time span. They over charge for everything and have a horrible customer service department. Pay they extra money and fly with literally any other airline.
RouteDetroit to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2020

"received no support from Spirit"

Not Verified | Cali to Pittsburgh via Fort Lauderdale. I received no support from Spirit during this time. Beginning from when I left the plane that arrived late on March 10th, I was telling every spirit agent I could find that my connection was leaving in less than 1 hour. My boyfriend took the exact flight the next day and told me that Spirit agents asked people who deboarded the plane if they had a connection in less than 2 hours that they could move to the front of the line. I received no such help. When I finally made it through customs and immigration I asked the spirit agents at the desk in front of security if I would make it to the flight (it was about 11:35 and the plane was scheduled to leave at 11:45. It ended up leaving at 11:40) they said it would be tight but that I would go through security. Spirit agents knew that I was going through security for my flight but didn’t even call the gate and let me miss the flight anyway? I don’t understand why they let me through and allowed me to run all the way when they weren’t even going to call the gate or make sure I made it on the flight? Once I made it to the ticketing desk to rebook the flight initially they had booked me on a flight back to my original destination vs back home. A mistake I caught and received no apologies for. I finally spoke to two on duty supervisors who made me wait for about an hour trying to find an answer. Ultimately they didn’t do anything for me after making me wait for so long. My travel time doubled because of spirits bad scheduling. From 8 hours to 16 hours. Spirit forced me to stay in the airport for this long because I had such extreme anxiety about missing my next flight too (never offered me anything for wasting my time). I was paranoid my next flight would leave early too. I will never recommend or fly Spirit myself again.
RouteCali to Pittsburgh via Fort lauderdale
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Thank you Spirit Airlines"

(Moldova)

Trip Verified | I had the best experience flying with Spirit airlines, I fly on March 11th Flight NK261 from Portland to Las Vegas Flight NK954 from Las Vegas to Fort Lauderdale. Thank you Spirit Airlines from the bottom of my heart. I was impressed by your kindness and attention, everyone was very polite and sympathetic to me. The wheelchair assistance was nice and polite and helped me in everything I needed. Big thanks to the pilots and stewardesses! It is hard that I don't know English but I wanted to see my kids and grandkids.
RoutePortland to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownMarch 2020

"baggage fee cannot be refunded"

Trip Verified | It's ridiculous that the airline didn't come up with any compensation regarding the outbreak of coronavirus. The carry-on baggage fee is included in the cancellation fee and it cannot be refunded even there are no pieces of baggage carry by the airline because I cancelled it.
RouteBoston to Chicago

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]