Spirit Airlines

"disrespect was just enough for me"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. My first initial flight leaving out of Atlanta did not take off until an hour late. Now on the way coming back I was seated in the emergency aisle and was talking to my daughter on the phone and the flight attendant asked me if I had head phones and if not can I turn my phone down. At that present moment we were in the process of boarding the flight, we had people talking and on their devices at the same time. So we got through all of that and now it’s time to go over the safety information and she asked will I be able to assist in the state of an emergency so I do have a sense of humor and I am hesitant and she said we’ll we are going to have to move you and I told you are not going to move me. She goes up and speak with another flight attendant and she comes back there and speaks condescending to me as if I was slow. She asked everybody if they will be willing and I responded within the group and said yes. Then she looks at me asked me if I heard her and I said yes. I felt so uncomfortable during the whole flight and I never want to fly spirit ever again. The disrespect was just enough for me!
RouteAtlanta to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"voucher cannot be extended"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Dallas FT Worth. I was given in flight, no-expire-able miles voucher for applying for their master card, a few months after receiving tried to redeem, the agent said sorry its expired! They cancelled the flight, and I was offered a via flight, which I unfortunately accepted. The connection flights were over booked and I was stranded on Chicago airport for 28 hrs. Had to buy a brand new ticket from Chicago to Dallas from United. They said they have applied $50 credit on my account - 3 months later tried to redeem, and agent said, sorry, voucher cannot be extended, its expired. I got 'lucky' with 'lucky seat miles' (what a farce) and today when called to redeem, guess what, yes, expired! Been flying with this airline because I am cheap and can't afford to pay top $ for other standard airlines since 2014 - each month a trip earning close to 1200 miles - you'd guess you can buy at least half the sector, no, sorry you don't have enough miles.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Dallas FT Worth
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Horrible first experience"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Dallas. Horrible airlines! I don't understand how they're still in business. Customer service is disrespectful. We arrived the airlines 50mins to time with confirmed flights but we were told the airplane was boarding already so we couldn't get on it as our luggage needed to be checked in. 5 mins is plenty of time to check in a bag and go through security but not for Spirit. Long story short, we couldn't get on the airplane and had to pay $650 for an American airline flight to bring us to Dallas for the wedding we were attending. We told Mpls Spirit front desk worker, we were going to return by Spirit. Of course when we go to the Dallas airport to return to Minnespolis, Spirit told us we they did not have seats for us on the return flight because they couldn't tell that we had flown to Dallas.Their only solution was to put us on a different the next evening, no apologies. It was then my responsibility to file a complaint when I returned to Minneapolis. No they don't try to put you on a different flight even when they mess up because every loss needs to be on the customer. Horrible first experience with Spirit. Needless to say I'll never be flying by them again.
RouteMinneapolis to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"never fly Spirit Airlines again"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Las Vegas. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. I went to Las Vegas for a work event and it was a very short trip (a little over 48 hours). My flight was supposed to land in Las Vegas at 5:13 PM on Sunday. The main reason I took this trip was for an event that Sunday at 7 PM. I spent over $200 for a ticket to this event and the transportation for the event left my hotel at 7 PM. I received an email notification that afternoon, on the way to the airport, stating that there was a delay because of the weather and my flight would not leave until 5:01 and therefore would not arrive in Las Vegas until 6:49. I understand that if the delay is because of weather the airline doesn’t offer any reimbursement, but the delay had nothing to do with the weather where I was flying out of or in to—apparently the plane that was supposed to take us from New Orleans to Las Vegas was delayed on the prior flight from Atlanta, GA to New Orleans, LA. I knew there was no way that I would make it to my hotel by 7 PM so I called Spirit because there were other Airlines (Southwest and United) that had flights that could still get me there on time. They would not refund me for my flight or do anything to reimburse me in any way stating that they couldn’t do anything unless it was a “2 hour delay or more”. It was an hour and 36 minute delay. The flight was delayed a second time and now would not arrive until 7:15, putting it over the “2 hour delay”, and when I called a second time they still refused to do anything. At this point it was too late to catch the United or Southwest flight, so I was going to miss my event regardless but did not want to cancel my trip altogether because I had already paid for a hotel. The customer service representative kept saying they didn’t know what I wanted them to do, I suggested a travel voucher or if they could even possibly reimburse me for my $50 checked bag, or give me a voucher to cover it on the return flight. They refused all suggestions and were very rude on the phone. When I attempted to talk to someone at the gate desk, the employee literally stood there playing on her phone for over 30 minutes and then looked up to see me still standing there and finally paged a supervisor to come and speak to me. The supervisor took over 30 minutes and was absolutely no help at all—redirecting me to telephone customer service.
RouteNew Orleans to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"never to fly them again"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Philadelphia via Atlanta. I have been flying this airline for over three years but my recent experience taught me a lesson never to fly them again. The staff are inexperienced, unprofessional and lacks basic common sense when it comes to customer service. We were ordered out the plane at a stop over in Atlanta and the staffs boarded the airline we came with without making a simple attempt to call names on the PA system before closing the gate. Their system would have known we checked-in and was suppose to be on that flight and they never applied basic common sense courtesy to announce names to account for passengers, as a result I missed my flight even though I was there at the next gate to find a seat. By the time I got to my gate, it was closed I was told I couldn’t board and yet I could see people still on the line inside the boarding ramp still attached to the plane making their way into the plane.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Philadelphia via Atlanta
Date FlownOctober 2018

"never fly Spirit again"

Trip Verified | Detroit to LaGuardia. Disabled Husband left behind. I arrived for My flight and I told the first person at kiosk my husband is disabled and need assistant. No help was received. Spirit staff perceived to tell us we have to pay 352.00 to book a flight that they cause us to miss. That wasn't enough after waiting 3hours for next flight we were told by supervisor at gate if we didn't want to miss this flight we have to give her another 65.00 for bag that 1st supervisor at counter said we would be fine. I never flew spirit before; that day, and I will never fly Spirit again.
RouteDetroit to LaGuardia

"worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | Panama City to San Juan via Ft Lauderdale. By far the worst airline experience i've ever encountered. I fly for work, all over the globe and have experienced many flights, both good and bad but Spirit is surely on the bottom.
RoutePanama City to San Juan via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"40 minutes isn't early enough"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Never again. I guess 40 minutes isn't early enough. Even though it takes me 10 minutes to get through airport security, and the doors don't close until 15 minutes before. I was here an hour and a half early but I was trying to find Spirit Airlines check in, and nobody seemed to know where it was. So now I'm waiting 14 hours to get on the next flight as I watch people board the flight i paid for, because 40 minutes is not early enough to check in.
RouteLos Angeles to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"remains to be my favorite"

Trip Verified | Houston to Los Angeles. I've flown Spirit many times. From Los Angeles to Vegas, New York, Seattle, etc. I am always able to pack a rather large bag as my carry on and measure it to make sure it fits within their requirements as a "personal item", so it's always free. I always fly with wife and son and they bring their own bags as well, for free. Depending on the type of year and destination, Spirit can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than any other airline. Also because I never check in a bag I never have to wait in line, use the self serve kiosk and you're done in a few minutes. The staff has always been helpful, professional, and friendly. I take a stroller with me, which is also free and they check it in for me at the gate as I'm getting ready to board. You do have to pay $7 to be able to choose your seats or you can let them choose. We've always let them choose and all 3 of us have always sat together. They don't have in flight entertainment but that helps keep the tickets so cheap - that's less money that they need to spend. I also love how they have the fake leather seats, I feel it's much more sanitary than the cloth seats. I've never had an issue with Spirit. There was one time my flight got delayed due to weather but you know what, It happens. And the delay was maybe 2 hours. For everyone complaining that they couldn't get their money back for a missed flight, etc. It just sounds like you didn't take advantage of the $13 warranty that they offer. I've flown with Virgin, Delta, Alaska, United, Southwest, etc, and have had all the issues from cancelled flights to lost baggage and Spirit still remains to be my favorite.
RouteHouston to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"unhappy with the customer service"

Not Verified | I am very unhappy with the customer service and credit policies from the company. Due to the hurricane in SC. Plans had to change for an upcoming parents weekend trip. I was on the phone with a CSR to change to my ticket to a ticket in my daughter's name for a flight at a later date. I understood I could NOT change my ticket to my daughter's name, even for a fee. I was told I could receive a credit of 72.00 for a 235.00 ticket. The only option and I agreed. When trying to use that ticket to book another flight it would not let me book a new flight in her name. I was not told that a credit is only usable in the originator's name. I called CSR back and asked to reinstate the ticket. That was not an option - I lose a 72.00 credit if not used in 30 days and the total round-trip ticket. I feel like this company does not care about their customers. In the future, I will find other airlines to use- will not trust in them again.
RouteNew York to Myrtle Beach

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]