Spirit Airlines

"No problems"

Not Verified | Great trip with wife and grandkids. No problems. Fly Spirit Airlines at least 2 times a year. Had a wonderful 7 day vacation. 1 backpack each. If you know what you are doing it works great and you save lots of money. Quit complaining and start enjoying life.
RouteArlington to Baltimore
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not worth the lower price"

Trip Verified | San Juan to Orlando. This was the worst customer service I've ever received. We arrive at the airport after getting off of a cruise only to find out the ticket will not open for about 2 hours. So we are forced to wait at the ticket counter until their shift starts. When we call customer service to ask why our email says "make sure to arrive at least 2 or more hours before your flight " but they won't open until they feel like it. We were told "it's a generic email!" Well the way obvious and not helpful at all. Then I was told of I paid extra I could get some fast pass through security. It never worked for TSA and then the rep said if we wanted that reimbursed "fill out a form and we will review it." This airline is a joke and not worth the lower price. I guess it's true, you get what you pay for. Never again will we fly this airline.
RouteSan Juan to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

"you get what you pay for sometime"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Orlando. I’ve been flying for well over 20 years this is by far my worse trip due to spirit airlines. I missed first flight and booked the next flight while being charged another $99 per ticket for my family and I. After sitting at airport for 8hrs I was notified by email the plane would be delayed 4hrs then to only get news 20 mins later it was now canceled and no other flights until 2 days later. Had to pay $700 for 3 one way tickets back home. Worse airline I’ve ever used. No WiFi, no tv, no snack and $3 beverages (soda). I was charged $160 for checking just 2 bags. Do not use Spirit. Tickets are cheap but you get what you pay for sometime.
RouteHartford to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

"costs more money than other airlines"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Los Angeles. This is a very basic airline and I 100% agree with the other reviews regarding the additional costs adding up to a regular airline. Our flight was originally scheduled to depart at 4:15 PM and has now been delayed twice. We are currently scheduled to depart at 8:30 pm. This is unacceptable. Never again! Spirit corporate staff, wake up and get a clue before no one flies with your airline. Stop trying to pass off cheap tickets when everything else costs more money than other airlines!
RouteNew Orleans to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"couldn’t perform simple tasks"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Seattle via Las Vegas. Low prices not worth the headache and frustration. On the first leg of a 3 leg flight I was prepared to give Spirit 5 stars. I knew somewhat what I was getting myself into for a cheap flight. I bought a flight across the country with 2 layovers for a cheap price. I accepted the sub par service checking into my flight at Atlanta Airport because I understand that the employee training program couldn’t possibly be the best with what Spirit was charging (the workers at the check-in desk couldn’t perform simple tasks, let alone come close to performing their actual job). I even accepted the uncomfortable seating in the aircraft with seats that don’t recline and are so uncomfortable they caused me neck pain. The one quality I find unredeemable is unforeseen delays due to maintenance with no end in sight. This is the straw that broke the metaphorical camel’s back. While I impatiently await the next 15 minute intercom call to tell me the aircraft is still broke I took this time to advise you: if you can afford to pay a little extra, I highly recommend you do. The one job I pay the airline to do is to deliver me to my destination with minimal delays and to keep me informed of any delays and they failed this task. This is the first time I flew with Spirit, and it will most definitely be the last.
RouteAtlanta to Seattle via Las Vegas
Date FlownOctober 2018

"This is not a quality airline"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Las Vegas. This airline feels like it is being run by 10 year olds. Everyone was very young and the professionalism definitely reflected that. From the bag check counter through the flight we felt a huge lack of confidence. To start we had not traveled Spirit prior to this so I thought nothing of it until I went to go choose my seats and had to pay $6-$8 per person each flight and that's when the nickel and dining began. This carried through from purchase to bags to on flight everything was a cost! Immediately realized that this may have been a mistake to book. But then I got this email with the company's mission statement and thought ok I get it maybe I'm wrong. Nope! *Morning of flight Delayed *Bag check counter as we walked up all 4 employees were on their phones and when someone would speak everyone would giggle and laugh like a mini private party. *At the gate every announcement was stumbled over and then the attendants would again giggle at each other's mistakes. At this point we were on the plane same thing could not get through an announcement without stammering and laughing. The words chosen in the Announcements were so unprofessional. Instead of "please" it was "go ahead" or "just". Just take your seat, go ahead and just get your carry on put away. My favorite was "You need to stay in you seatbelt" There was one attendant that was over 35ish and we could clearly see she was having to really manage the other attendance to get things done like all of them were in training. I felt for her because it felt like the company she worked for was a joke and she cared about getting things done but was baby sitting. The seats were so thin we could feel knees in our back. We are average size people leaning to the smaller side and it was so tight. This is not a quality airline.
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownOctober 2018

"unhelpful and extremely rude"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Las Vegas. Fool me once shame on me. If you are looking for a quick commute flight, about an hour, with 1 personal item, and flight attendants that are rude then this is the airline for you. We paid for our bags at the kiosk, only to be pulled at the gate while boarding to be told we must pay $60 per bag and ended up paying $65 each bag. While waiting at the gate there were 2 people screaming at the gate attendants. One person’s seat was double booked and they couldn’t get on the flight. The other person they were trying to recharge for their bag, just like they did to us! As if it was bad enough to pay $50 at the kiosk your made to pay an additional $65 at the gate? So $115 for a carry on bag? Get real Spirit! Should have known the kiosks were bad when it took us 20 minutes to use them! Service attendants are unhelpful and extremely rude! Never flying Spirit and will tell everyone I know to never fly with them. I could write a book about how bad of an experience this was.
RoutePhiladelphia to Las Vegas

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Ft Lauderdale. Horrible customer service. Spent an hour on runway inside the airplane. Due to technical issues they couldn't open a door for an hour and they took us to the other gate and finally let us out. Called customer support cause was running late for work and they said that on behalf of Spirit everything was right. Departure was on time and landing was on time and that they have no report about any issues and hung up on me. Do not fly Spirit Airlines unless you have no plans to be anywhere in close 2 days after the flight.
RouteLas Vegas to Ft Lauderdale

"Everything is extra"

Trip Verified | Denver to Fort Lauderdale. Everything is extra - $55 a carry-on, 40lbs check in luggage limit is extremely low. You choose your seat, its extra. Seat don't recline. By the time you pay for everything you are paying the same price for a worse flight.
RouteDenver to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownOctober 2018

"cheap poor service airline"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Las Vegas. First of all we paid $265 extra for luggage. Last time I flew a checked bag was $25, Spirit charged $50 for each bag. On the way to Las Vegas my son carried his suitcase on- no hassles. His suitcase was 18x 10 x 6. Small. On the way home as we were boarding the gate attendants were randomly pulling people out of line and making them pay $65 for each bag. I was furious. Many people were walking on with bigger bags than my son’s with no problem. Why the extra $15 charge at the gate?? What a racket. There are those stupid metal bins to “test” your bag. Beware, if it doesn’t fit in the top small bin, you’re paying. No coffee, water, cookie, cracker on a 3 and a half hour flight unless you want to pay $4 for each item. A bag of M&Ms was $4. Really? Checking in at both Detroit and Las Vegas was a catastrophe. Mass confusion, no one knew where to go or what line they should be in. Probably 20-30 people in each line like cattle, and unsure if they were even in the right place. No direction from anyone. And of course you have to check your own self in at really slow kiosks. (No one to help you there either- you’re on your own Good luck) After landing to I called to inquire about the shake down at the boarding gate- more “excellent customer service”. You can’t even speak to a real person. I tried different prompts and couldn’t get anyone to talk to. I did get some kind of message saying I could pay $25 to speak to someone about booking another trip. Good one Spirit- I’ll never fly you again and will be sure to share my experiences with your lousy cheap poor service airline. The flight attendants were nice- that is the only good thing I can say.
RouteDetroit to Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]