Spirit Airlines

"was the best flight attendant"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Cleveland. First I do not like the delay their and back was ridiculous, however when I boarded the plane from Orlando to Cleveland the flight attendant David was so awesome he was the best flight attendant I have ever came across. He made me laugh and forget about the delayed flight I wish he was on all the flights I take.
RouteOrlando to Cleveland
Date FlownAugust 2019

"it was unexpectedly pleasant"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Dallas/Ft Worth. My partner and I needed inexpensive flights for a business/birthday trip. We ended up flying on my partner’s birthday and it was unexpectedly pleasant! For a flight, long lines, crying babies, and frustrating delays are expected. What is not expected is the accommodations and kindness we experienced through our entire journey. Our flight ended up delaying 18 hours in Las Vegas. Even though we did want to get back to Texas, we weren’t in a huge hurry. They provided stay, transportation, and meal tickets from the airport. Everyone was very helpful and kind. I highly recommend this airline if you are looking for a cheap flight while you are not in a hurry to get to your destination.
RouteLas Vegas to Dallas/Ft Worth
Date FlownAugust 2019

"delayed until who knows how long"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale with Spirit Airlines. Horrible plane! Already check in and got seated on the plane. All of a sudden we were instructed to exit the plane due to maintenance issues and now the flight is delayed until who knows how long.
RouteBaltimore to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownAugust 2019

"stay away at all costs"

Trip Verified | New York to Dallas. My 18 year old and two 17 year olds were at Laguardia airport this morning over 3 hours before flight and the lines were very long. After 2 hours he spoke to Spirit who said nothing they could do. Then, they missed their flight and Spirit said next flight was in 48 hours and there was nothing they could do. They refused to talk to anyone else because my son was 18. I called Customer Service and explained three young travelers were stranded in New York. Their response was "theres nothing we can do." Three families had to scramble to find a place for these young boys to stay for 48 hours. Very cold responses from Spirit Airlines. I believe that it is true that there is nothing they can do, especially customer service. They are cheaper, but please, stay away at all costs.
RouteNew York to Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2019

"was a horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Cleveland. Before going through security there’s a Spirit agent at the entrance checking everyone’s bag to make sure the size requirements are met to be considered a personal item. Ours fit in the perfectly in the slot. At the boarding gate we lined up when they called our zone and as we approached the agent, one of them asked to see our boarding pass before the other agent scanned it. As I was speaking to the agent who was holding our passes, the other agent who was scanning the boarding passes started screaming at us to move out of the way. I was confused as to what was going on. I told them they already checked at the checkpoint, why do they need to make a huge scene with my family being pulled aside? The agent who finally scanned our boarding passes snatched them from me and spoke rudely under his breath as I told them they were rude. He then shoved them at me as I snatched them from him. This was a horrible experience for my kids to witness as I was forced to defend myself for appearing to be rude. There are ways to handle a situation like this and this was unnecessary.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Cleveland
Date FlownAugust 2019

"This is absolutely ridiculous"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Denver. Dropped my husband and young child off at 6:30pm to catch a flight that left at 8:14pm. We got the first delay of 30 minutes at the time of board. No big deal, but then the next one put us out until 9:49pm. Then it would jump back to original time. This was on going back and forth for an hour until we reached 9:40pm. The flight then was delayed until 10:30pm. At 10:30pm we got another delay notice of 11:37pm. I was constantly in contact with my husband but at this time I called spirit. They said that it was weather related but since 8:30pm with no sign of a storm! My husband said they deplaned once at 9:49pm due to issues. They finally boarded second plane after 10pm. Went to depart at 10:30pm got to runway and the pilot comes on and says oops we’re low on fuel! How crazy is this. They go back fuel up and then people start fist fighting on board! I was on the phone when the pilot came on and said we now have the proper fuel “haha” everyone take a seat for take off. Totally not a “haha” moment! My husband and daughter sat at the airport for 5 hours before departing with no advanced notice of delays to which they couldn’t really leave the gate. My husband had a connecting flight back to Baltimore. Which was suppose to land at 4:30am, so he could get to work on time. Now it’s pushed back to 7:30am leaving him late and missing wages! This is absolutely ridiculous!
RouteBaltimore to Denver

"Charges for everything!"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Cancun via Houston. Charges for everything! At this point not sure if I will be seated with my husband and toddler, to choose a seat you have to pay a fee, to bring a carry on you have to pay a fee to check it in. Just hoping and praying we will be lucky enough to stay together. Charged my husbands card three times for the carry on fees, because on our flight back we need to stop in Florida before we can get to Washington. Pretty much they try to get every penny out of you. Sadly only after we have already booked our trip, did we find out about all the unfortunate things about this airline. Next time we will book with another airline to save ourselves the stress and our money.
RouteSeattle to Cancun via Houston

"frequent cancellations"

Not Verified | Myrtle Beach to Atlantic City. Yet again Spirit has cancelled our daughter’s flight from Myrtle Beach. She is a college student in SC and graduates next year. We will never book another Spirit flight. The worst airline, frequent cancellations and no accountability. Do not fly this airline.
RouteMyrtle Beach to Atlantic City
Date FlownJuly 2019

"left stranded in San Juan"

Trip Verified | We have just been left stranded in San Juan without remedy! No hotel vouchers and next flight is Friday- 3 days away!? Counter attendant was told to say it was an “ act of God” in Philadelphia, checked weather app and it was sunny and uneventful in Philadelphia, didn’t think we would check? Disgraceful to say the least.
RouteSan Juan to Tampa

"an appalling experience"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Portland via Las Vegas. My friend and I, both frequent travelers, faced an appalling experience with Spirit Airlines last week - by far the most horrific experience of customer service and communication I have experienced. We had flights booked from ATL to PDX (via LAS) to visit a friend. We were scheduled to fly out from ATL at noon on Aug. 3rd. At 10:04AM, we were notified that our flight was delayed 7hours, which would cause us to miss the second leg (LAS to PDX). Accordingly, we got on the phone with Spirit to try to resolve the situation. After an hour of waiting and being put on hold many times, we were able to speak to someone. She informed us that the only option was to take the same flight the following day but she only had one seat open. She told us she couldn't help us and our best bet would be to go to the airport and talk to the people there. We made the 30 minute drive to the airport. Ended up booking a Spirit flight, ATL to DEN, departing at 10PM the same day. We booked a separate flight through Frontier, DEN to PDX, departing at 7AM the following day. Don't know why that required a trip to the airport and couldn't be done over the phone but that's besides the point. We arrive at the airport for the second time that day hours before our flight. We see on the flight information display system that our flight (771) has been delayed until 11:45PM (photo attached). Not a problem considering we had a 7hour layover. We still got to the gate hours early and sat there and waited 1-2hours, never leaving the premises. I was wary since the screen at the gate only said "DELAYED" with no time given. So 15 minutes before our original departure time, I got up to check with the representatives only to be informed that our flight to Denver had already left?? 15 minutes before departure time and nearly 2hours before the time clearly stated (however misleading and obviously wrong) on the flight information display system?? We were in shock. And it was not just us. There was a group of ~12 other passengers, some on our flight, others flying to other cities, who had also missed their flight. Normally airlines announce boarding many times, even calling out passenger names if they weren't present. But nope. We got nothing. My friend and I, both frequent flyers, were at the right gate hours early, paying vigilant attention the whole time, and somehow we missed our flight. There were 6 employees behind the counter, some typing slowly while staring blankly at the screen, some pacing, others nervously exchanging glances. After an hour of waiting to speak to someone, he tried to place the blame on us for missing the flight. They were rude and unapologetic, offering no form of refund/compensation. While my friend and I were traveling for leisure, some of the other passengers weren't. A college-aged girl who didn't call Atlanta home was sobbing because she couldn't afford a hotel room. A man was defeated because he "had a 92-year old waiting on him." The representatives behind the counter were slow, unhelpful, and offered no form of human empathy. We left the airport at 12AM after spending 15 hours trying to be patient with Spirit employees. We ended up cancelling the return flight and our entire vacation. I've flown low-cost airlines before (Transavia, Royal Air Maroc, JetBlue just to name a few) and I know you get what you pay for. But never have I had a bad experience, not to mention such an abominable, hair-raising one.
RouteAtlanta to Portland via Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]