Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

They try to hook you in with the "bare fare". Which is code for al a cart. Aka they charge you for everything. First the flight cost. It seems low. But then you have to pay for a seat pay for a bag (each way no round trip baggage). By the time it was all said and done I came to realize the "cheap flight" with 2 layovers before I would arrive would have been cheaper through Southwest on a direct flight. My flight was delayed and then delayed again and then delayed again. I received the information from my email not from the lady behind the counter at the gate while waiting. During my layover my next flight said on time. Past the boarding time. Past the flight time. Finally it was cancelled a half hour after it should have taken off. Due to no pilots. Then we're told to form a line. 4.5 hours into the line. I still have not been helped. Not with a hotel not with a new flight nothing was offered to eat or drink and by the time they announced the cancellation all of the eateries in the airport had closed. None of the employees knew what they were doing they had no direction. People that were being helped were told to hold while employees disappeared for 30mins and one employee said she would be right back to finish with a customer and never came back. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Every week I travel to Chicago from Houston. Good part about flight is it departs on time most of the time. Worst part is when you land. Very rarely you have gate available for the flight that reaches on time. Whoever is scheduling flights for Spirit needs to be fired for not doing their jobs. I can't understand why they have 4 flights coming in at the same time when they have only 2 gates available.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flew with Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas. The flight was fine plane was clean we arrived on time. Already had a problem with having to pay for our bags get to Vegas waited for the bags at the carousel after 15 mins of waiting for the bags to start coming off the entire flight was told that our bags were not put on the plane they were still in Baltimore. Was told our bags would be delivered to us by noon the next day. So here we are in Vegas with nothing waiting for it to be convenient for spirit to send us our bags. The bags should have been placed on a flight once they realized the mistake they made. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Absolutely terrible. I knew it was budget but the customer service and queue times are horrendous. Flying IAH to ORD there's consistently a 30 minute wait to begin deboarding the flight. The planes are outdated and I honestly feel in need of a shower and Laundromat after a 2 hour flight in their terrible seats.

Spirit Airlines customer review

April 28 flight 832 to Orlando. May 2 flight 713 to Houston. This was the first time I had flown Spirit so I was a little apprehensive. My total experience was very positive! The cost of the flight was amazingly low. The Spirit personnel were friendly and the plane itself was clean and comfortable. The flight itself was smooth and on time.

Spirit Airlines customer review

April 8 2015 flight 323 and April 13 2015 flight 424. When we booked with Spirit I was terrified for our flight due to all these awful reviews. After flying with them I feel like a lot of people only write reviews when they get bad service. I know a lot of people actually have had bad experiences but ours was fine. Yes you do have to pay for everything but they do tell you that on the website. I flew to LAX from MSP with my husband and two little girls. Flights were all on time. Everyone was nice. No problems at all. If you're thinking of flying Spirit don't let all these bad reviews deter you.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I had booked a ticket from Atlantic City to Chicago. The flight was supposed to leave at 4.49pm. However due to some scheduling issues the flight was rescheduled for 8pm. This was not done in one go but multiple times. It was first changed to 5.24pm then back to 4.49pm then 5.55 6.30 7.24 7.40 8pm. This threw our plans. There were three gate changes once we were in the airport. The flight we were supposed to travel came in at 7.02pm and we were all set to travel by 8. In another 15 minutes just before boarding we were told that the flight will again be delayed because the pilot had not arrived. We waited for another hour outside and half an hour in the plane before the pilot arrived. No proper explanations from the member of the staff. The plane took off at 9.28pm and reached Chicago at 10.45pm. We were 4.5 hours late. This is my second bad experience in a year. Try your best to avoid it.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flying with Spirit is like playing roulette. Sometimes you get a great deal and everything goes relatively smoothly but sometimes you lose big and end up spending triple when they make you wait 8 hours for a flight that they end up cancelling once it's too late to book anything else. I've flown with them several times before and had a few complications but nothing terrible until this past mother's day weekend (May 10 2015). I booked a 6 am flight from Minneapolis to Baltimore with a connection in Chicago. I was supposed to arrive in Baltimore at 11.30am Sunday in time for mother's day but I didn't get home until 2am on Tuesday. I only made it then because I booked a last-minute flight on United. My $130 Spirit ticket ended up costing $480. If you have to be somewhere by a certain date do not book with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We booked with Spirit to fly to Puerto Rico (round trip). We flew out of MCO airport in Orlando and were very disappointed with the flight there and back. First off we had to pay 90$ to check in our bag because it was over 40 pounds. 90$ there and back. $180 alone in luggage costs! Next we get on the plane and the seating space is very small and uncomfortable! Only people that will feel comfortable in those seats are children. My boyfriend is 6 feet 4 inches and his legs were cramped the entire flight. Regardless of being able to purchase "Big Room" seats every person should be comfortable while flying. It was miserable. Secondly there was an AC problem where the entire flight was 60 degrees. It was freezing. It was impossible to rest during the flight because there was no leg room and it was so cold. Thirdly we have to purchase drinks and snacks. After paying 90 dollars for luggage you think people are going to pay for snacks! On the way back we bought a blanket for the plane not mentioning already spending 90$ for our luggage. We even decided to purchase bigger spaced seats since we were so uncomfortable last night which was 16$ per person. We paid 32$ for more leg room and when we got on the plane it was just as small. We fly all the time and we are never going to fly on Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We got a package deal to Vegas from Kansas City to get married. The price was right in the beginning. We checked in only to find out the normal sized carry on was too big for this particular airline! We flew with a group so it was interesting to see the inconsistency of prices. Our bag was $55 another $50 another $45. The plane itself was fine. Smaller seats less leg room but the good news is you can get in the luggage rack if need be for all of the empty space! Both flight to and from our destination were late with no apparent explanation. We did receive an email stating our flight was delayed however you get there in a timely manner only to hear horror stories of how people's flights are canceled for no reason with no refunds or my favorite people receiving an email of a delay to find the flight was on time so they missed it resulting in them having to purchase another ticket! No snacks or drink provided. Without a doubt the worst airline ever! Never again!

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]