Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

Just got home from the worst trip of my life thanks to the way we were treated and stranded by Spirit Airlines. I am sixty years old and have traveled around the world quite a bit. Have been a Spirit Airlines customer many times. April 19th we flew Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to San Jose Costa Rica. Return flight was scheduled for Friday 25th. Got to the airport and was told the flight was cancelled due to volcanic ash. No other flights appeared to be cancelled just this one. After waiting in line for an hour we were told our choices were a refund or get re-booked on a flight leaving May 2nd. That's right. May 2nd. Eight days later. The supervisor was very rude and unhelpful. Just wanted to get rid of us. We scrambled around and found a flight the next day on United and paid $477 for a one way flight to Ft. Lauderdale through Houston. Landed in Ft. Lauderdale Saturday night at midnight. We had an extra day of rental car and hotel.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Our recent experience with this airline was a nightmare. We arrived at MCO (Orlando) to discover that our flight to Detroit (DTW) had been cancelled. Along with at least 100 other passengers we stood in line for more than 3 hours waiting for some sort of assistance in booking another flight. There was only 1 clerk working the desk and he was not only overwhelmed but highly inefficient. Passengers from other Spirit flights who were desperately trying to drop off bags so they would not miss THEIR flights were finally shifted to another line and the lone clerk at the desk set about helping them-leaving the rest of us to stand and wait yet again. We finally gave up and booked a flight on another airline (which we suspect was what Spirit hoped we'd do so they wouldn't have to deal with the problem) because we had commitments in Detroit that could not be altered. Even after numerous calls and emails to Spirit we were never offered any assistance or compensation of any kind (not even a meal voucher) for our trouble.

Spirit Airlines customer review

On May 4th 2015 flight 145 out from Santo Domingo Dominican Republic was delayed for 4 hours. My connection to Orlando was delayed for 2 hours. The airplane came in we boarded and 30 minutes later we had to get out of the plane because maintenance problems. So we had to take an other airplane that it scheduled to depart at 12.15am. Horrible service! I won't use it again!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Took a flight last week from Plattsburgh to Fort Lauderdale. The flight was on time and we arrived at the right time. Be sure to read carefully their website about additional fees if you want no surprises. Boarding passes were printed at home so no 10 $ charge at the airport. My seat was pretty uncomfortable and pretty much no room for a 6 foot 2 guy like me but beside of that everything went just fine. Will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew from Phoenix-Dallas-Fort Lauderdale-Cancun and return. Late arrivals caused a miss on connecting flights in Fort Lauderdale on both outgoing and incoming. On the incoming flight I was stranded in Fort Lauderdale for 24 hours! In both cases Spirit blamed "ground control". In other words they would take not responsibility for the late flights and therefore would not contribute to hotel food wait time or restitution for lost hotel reservation costs. Speaking with hotel personnel in Fort Lauderdale I noted that Spirit is well know for this tactic. In fact the Fort Lauderdale people told me they get 8 or 10 reservations every day because of Spirit. This company does not schedule properly takes no responsibility for it mismanagement and should be avoided!

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am so disappointed. I booked a flight with Spirit Air to a cruise if Fort Lauderdale. Flight was for 8.20am and was delayed twice before telling us that the flight had been cancelled. By that time we could not get a flight that would guarantee that I would get there in time for our cruise. It was a celebration of our 25th anniversary to boot.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew last weekend from DFW to Cleveland. On the outbound trip my flight was delayed about 1.5 hrs but I did receive emails alerting me to the delay and the gate agent did make several announcement to keep us posted. The pilots did a great job of making up for lost time and got us there in 2 hours. The flight attendants were courteous and service was about what you'd expect from other airlines. Yes this airline is a-la-carte so you do pay for what you use whether it's paying for checked baggage carry-ons or even beverages. Since my airfare was cheap even with buying an assigned seat I had no problem paying 3 dollars for an apple juice you are paying for and getting the whole can. Yes the seats do not recline but they weren't necessarily uncomfortable and you don't have to worry about the guy in front of you reclining his seat at all which is a plus. I'm a shorter than average person so I had plenty of knee room. In conclusion if you are thinking about flying Spirit Airlines be sure and do your homework. If you do your homework and figure out what they charge for certain services you can plan on what to pay and still probably make out cheaper than other airlines. It's always good to shop around and depending on the circumstances Spirit can save you money on your flight. They might not always be the cheapest but in my case I was able to fly to Cleveland round-trip for $118 including seat assignment. I didn't check a bag; I just had a small duffle bag that qualified to be brought on for free. Again do your homework with Spirit so you can navigate their fees; I cannot stress that enough. Lastly would I consider flying them again? My answer is Yes.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight 351 4/23/15. Flight 352 4/27/15. This is how my entire experience panned out: As a student I needed the best possible deal after looking up online I had to choose between Frontier and Spirit and ended up saving some bucks on Spirit. Honestly with the kind of deal I got I was expecting bad service (like any other budget airline). But they surprised me! It is one of the best flying experiences I've had. Starting from check-in (which takes less than 5 mins at the airport with prior online check-in) to the in-flight experience they deliver exactly what they pitch you cant expect world class menus and inflight entertainment but it gets you from A to B on time and in comfort.

Spirit Airlines customer review

4/13/2015 flight 660 from MCI-ORD. Thank goodness there is at least one true budget airline operating again in the US! All the usual trappings of the no-frill airlines but I was quite surprised what huge bags the women at security in front of me smuggled onto the plane as the "free personal item". My leg space was very limited as I am 6'3 with long legs but I really liked the fact that the passenger in front of me couldn't recline his seat. Leg room was actually better than on Air Berlin's Airbus last month. The plane was brand new (compared to the 20-year old planes I'm used to flying on AA). We arrived in Chicago early no rude employees anywhere but then again I had no reason to talk to anyone except TSA employees (since everything's done online and there is no beverage service).

Spirit Airlines customer review

April 25 flight 199. April 28 flight 298. First they charge $35 for luggage online if you don't do it online then they charge $50 at check in. If you still have gotten to the gate without checking in your luggage they will charge you 100 dollars. Then secondly upon boarding for Las Vegas on Saturday 25th April they put all passengers on the wrong plane. Thirdly arrived at the airport for flight home it was delayed 85 minutes. No notice sent via my phone which I had signed up for and given my email. The worst airline I have ever used.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]