Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

Did a round trip from Dallas to Portland Oregon the weekend of August 9. Decided to upgrade to the front seats which for my brother and I it was worth the extra cost of $50 per seat. The front seats do recline. The only hitch on this trip is that upon returning to DFW we could not get our checked luggage for over 1.5 hrs. It was very frustrating. But if you need a cheap seat and you can pack light and either pay the carry on charge for you luggage or just put everything in a small backpack then Spirit may work for you. We also had to wait once we landed for a gate to open up so we sat on the ground an extra 15 minutes before our plane could get into a gate. I also brought my own snacks so make sure you do that. I chose to purchase water after passing through security and getting inside the terminal. I took my bottled water in my small backpack along with my snacks onto the airplane and this was not a problem. Other than these problems it went relatively well. I checked in online and printed my boarding passes online from my home. The Spirit staff and the airport and on both flights were acceptable. Also Spirit was one of few airlines that offered DFW to PDX non-stop which for me is important because I don't like multiple flights. Bottom Line. Spirit Airlines is a inexpensive airline with no frills. I really don't think I would book Spirit for a long flight or for anything out of the USA.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit Airlines was horrible in the following ways: extremely poor flight trip extremely poor timing (I waited 6 hours for my flight) staff were very unpleasant with their services and most of all very poor planning.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight 142 on 2 Aug and Flight 145 9 Aug. All the years that I traveled with so many different airlines I have never had this type of service and other added costs. You want water a soft drink or anything you have to pay. I made a reservation for a low cost trip from Dominican Republic to Fort Lauderdale assumed cost of the plane travel was low. Now comes the additional cost of luggage for any bag under 40 lb you pay $50 anything over that $100 carry-on $50 computer bags and other handbags $50 if its more than 18 inches high. Here is the catch I was traveling with another person that had a computer bag the same as mine he was able to go through at no cost.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

This airline offers a low teaser rate and then overcharges the naive 1st time flyer by various deceptive means. They are trying to stick me with a charge of $295 for a trip I could have made on any reputable airline for $180. I was socked $50 for carry on at airport but told by agent If I had prepaid it would have been less. The night before my return I tried to register on their site and had to pay $36 for baggage +fee for boarding pass $9.00 membership fee. Flight was hr late coming and 30 mins late on return. I would never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We booked a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to La Guardia and arrived an hour early. We tried to check in using the self serve kiosk which malfunctioned 3 times. When it finally took our information it printed a time stamped slip that said we needed to see an agent. Our slip was time stamped at 6.20 am and our flight departed at 7.04 am. When we finally found an attendant she was not helpful rude and directed us to a long line of angry customers. After waiting in line the agent informed us that Spirit "closes" flights 45 minutes prior to departure and that our time stamped slip was 1 minute past their "cut off". We explained that the kiosks had malfunctioned 3 times causing our delay and that we had arrived an hour early. She had absolutely no regard for our situation was extremely rude and unwilling to take any responsibility for their equipment causing our delays. We asked for a supervisor which took 40 minutes. The supervisor told us the best she could do was charge us well over $200 more per ticket to book us on the next flight almost 6 hrs later! We couldn't wait the six hours and asked for a refund when told that other airlines had earlier flights. We went to JetBlue where we had a completely different experience as soon as we walked in. They were extremely friendly apologized for our experience (which Spirit never did) and booked us on an earlier flight. Due to the situation and having to book new flights at the last minute prices were much higher than if we would have just booked with them to begin with. If you're considering this airline because of the attractive pricing believe me it's not worth the hassle!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Worst experience I've had with an airline. I thought I was getting a good deal for price but did not expect to be charged for carry-on's $50 a piece! So in the end flight is not cheaper than other airlines. In addition flight was cancelled in Chicago (flying from Oakland CA to Mlps MN). I ended up driving with 3 others on the Spirit flight from Chicago to MINN. We were told they would reimburse leg we did not take but have not heard anything from them regarding this and its been a week! Now waiting for my return flight home and both planes have been delayed (out of MN and Chicago) and likely I will be stuck in Chicago again. Would never take this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I've flown Spirit a few times and although it is not my favorite it has sufficed because the flights are not that expensive. Today however was a completely different story. As we are pulling out of the gate (20 minutes late) the flight attendant tells us that the belt that carries the bags to the plane has broken so all of our bags couldn't get on the plane but reassures us they will be flown on another aircraft. Once I arrive at my destination I see that I and 85% of the people on my flight had no luggage. Once confronting Spirit about the problem the workers moved very slow and showed no sympathy or care for the problem. They could care less whether I got my bags or not. Most people on my flight had a connecting flight some where else but had no bags to make that happen. I got no guarantee about when I would receive my luggage so now I sit here with hardly any clothes or a toothbrush and do not know when I will have them.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Absolutely the worst run airline in the world. Cheap fares are good only as far as the airline can deliver good service. This airline has failed on every front. The fare structure is just slightly cheaper than Southwest and much less flexible. In my case to save a few dollars I booked on Spirit to Detroit from Houston. The aircraft was dirty the employees were unhelpful and the landings weren't that good. Low fare = low service and low quality at Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]