Royal Brunei Airlines

"no empathy or service assistance"

Not Verified | In December 2019, My wife was travelling with my 3 young children using Royal Brunei Airline from Melbourne to Kota Kinabalu transiting at Brunei. Then with connecting flight (Malindo Air Kota Kinabalu to Kuching. No Notification of flight delay We were only told of flight delay till 2130HR (vs original departure at 1845HR), after waiting in line for 45mins at Melbourne Airport to check in. We would appreciate if the airline could send us an advanced notification about the delay but NOT upon check in. We have arrived in Melbourne airport by 1520HR. Having the young children to wait at the airport for 7 hours till departing time 2230HR, without any assistance extended was not a good experience. Making matter worse, we were declined our request for a simple meal arrangement. This was not a very considerate and responsible gesture – as you can tell the delayed flight hour had passed the dinner time and we didn’t request for anything unreasonable. Poor arrangement on Connecting flight: We repeatedly express our concern of how this delay would impact our connecting flight, ground staff reassured us that the delay will not affect the connecting flight to Kota Kinabalu. She affirmed that the flight will definitely wait for my family to connect to Kota Kinabalu as many passengers were transiting as well. It was obvious enough, from frequent traveling experience, having 30mins time to transit was quite impossible but we were once again reassured that we could make it. As expected, my family missed the connecting flight. My family was stranded and had to wait for the next available connecting flight to Kota Kinabalu at 2330HR on 11/12/2019 (vs original flight at 0030HR on 11/12/2019). As a result of above delay, the connecting flight from Kota Kinabalu to Kuching were forfeited, costing us extra expenses to purchase a new flight ticket. When venting our frustration with Brunei Airline ground staff, the lady tried to reassure us that they will try to help to get a reasonable reimbursement and even attempt to negotiate with Malindo air to reschedule a connecting flight from Kota Kinabalu to Kuching. My family were then quickly shoved onto a bus full of other waiting passenger to a complimentary hotel and asked to wait for the update but no phone calls or follow up message received. When we called up the next day, the airline staffs denied any arrangement or promise being made, and deterred all responsibilities. No apologies made. We were feeling helpless. The original trip was supposed to take only 1 day to reach the final destination but the whole journey was prolonged to 2 days in the end. Sadly, there was no empathy or service assistance throughout the whole journey, which made it even more painful to travel.
RouteMelbourne to Kota Kinabalu via Brunei

8th February 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear James Ting, Thank you very much for reaching out to us to share your experience. Providing a great guest experience is one of our top priorities, and we are disappointed to learn that you had anything less. We would like to acknowledge that we have received your complain and will definitely investigate your situation and respond to you shortly. If any other issue or question does arise, we are happy to discuss it with you. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any further comments, concerns or suggestions you wish to add. Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies for what you and your family went through. We hope you will continue flying with Royal Brunei Airlines again and look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

"flight has been cancelled"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | I am traveling from Jeddah to Bali using this airline for the first time and will be the last. Flight No. BI002 on 1st Feb 2020. Our flight had to land in Dubai due to a passenger critical health case which had him to be hospitalized urgently. However after waiting for long hours, we have been informed that flight has been cancelled, lost our transit flight and still waiting at Dubai airport for very long hours with big mess, no Hotel, no idea when is our flight. Thanks to Royal Brunei Airlines for making from our honeymoon bad experience.
RouteJeddah to Denpasar via bandar Seri Begawan
Date FlownFebruary 2020

6th February 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear @A Balada, Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We value every single guest and always believe in providing a great experience for everyone. Unfortunately, there are times where unforeseen circumstances occur and we will always try our best to rectify the situation. We are very sorry to hear that you were caught in one of those times which resulted in your disrupted travel plans for your honeymoon. Please accept our sincerest apologies on behalf of Royal Brunei Airlines. Rest assured we will definitely strive to do better. We hope you give us an opportunity to provide you with a much better experience and restore your confidence in us in the future.

"changed to a small aircraft"

Trip Verified | London to Melbourne via Brunei. Checkin procedure online was a shambles, with no wallet ticket available. The system broke three times whilst checking in. The first flight was fine, but the entertainment system was incredibly poor with most films being old and none of the recent releases. After landing in Brunei we were advised our flight had been changed to a small aircraft due to a “fault”. 7 hours stuck in a small seat and only 2 toilets is far from ideal. Since this flight I have contacted RB customer service several times. It’s taken a month to have a reply from them. They seem to have no issue with passengers poor comfort and service. They have simply stated that as the flight landed and we arrived safely that’s all that their charter covers - the fact that we had no room, delays and a horrific flight doesn’t seem to matter. My advice to anyone is avoid RB. Pay the extra money and go with a proper airline with a good reputation for customer service. Enjoy the service you would expect elsewhere.
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei

6th February 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear @C Warner, Thank you for posting your review and we are sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We apologize for the technical issues on our B787 originally meant for your flight that led to the an aircraft swap at short notice. We were facing operational constraints at that moment, but we wanted to try our best to get our guests to their final destination on a timely manner. Rest assured, we will definitely relay your feedback to our relevant department for our future improvement. Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies for what you went through. We hope you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a much better experience and restore your confidence in us in the future.

"substandard Business Class Service"

Not Verified | We chose to fly Royal Brunei business class from Melbourne to Bangkok. The first bad experience was the lounge in Melbourne - the Maharajah Lounge. The food was old - stale and cold. Absolutely disgusting. Having boarded the aircraft for the Melbourne to Brunei Sector, and being directed to our business class seat, that was the only good thing about the flight. The service was shocking . The attention to detail by the unfriendly staff was surprising for a so called business class flight. The food selection that was offered on the menu was unavailable and I had to settle for an economy meal that was inedible compared to food on other airlines that we have used The remote control on the entertainment system did not work properly. The entertainment selection was extremely poor. The staff were nowhere on seen throughout most the flight. No offer of soft drinks or refreshments. The only good thing was the legroom on the seat. The last straw was the unfriendly way that we were asked to return the menu card given to us at the start of the flight. Rude staff who should be ashamed of themselves. The 12 hour layover at Brunei airport would have been extremely difficult had it not been for the staff in the Sky Lounge who helped arrange for a temporary transit visa so that we could stay in a hotel in Brunei for a short stay. In fairness, the short second sector from Brunei to Bangkok was better. The cabin staff were much more attentive and friendlier than our experience in the first sector. Overall, this was a substandard Business Class Service which did not represent good value for money. Sadly, I will have to endure the return trip on this disappointing airline.
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Brunei

6th February 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear @Paul Kindler, First and foremost, we would like to apologize for the negative experience that you went through. We are disappointed to learn of this situation you have described as we always aim to deliver a great experience for our guests. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further and will be glad if you reach us at [email protected] to share your exact flight details. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you.

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to London via Brunei on 11th January. The flight on the way there from London to Melbourne on the 28th December had a 1.5 hour stop over in Brunei delayed and changed to a 9 hour stop over, and we were only informed the day before the flight. Assuming there wasn’t enough people to fill my flight so they cancelled it and just forced the poor people who happened to be on the flight to a much later one. Tried to call customer service twice, expensive International calls because the local line was shut as it was a weekend and was told both times they would send over hotel and compensation details in a few hours .. 24 hours later I had to get on the plane with no information about what would happen on arrival and it ended up taking another 2 hours once there to even figure out where to put us with most of the staff not even knowing that the flight was even delayed at all. I thought it couldn’t get any worse and was hopeful on the return flight that I would get home on time but no such luck. Flew from Melbourne to Brunei without an issue then the flight took off from Brunei to London but within an hour had turned around and force landed back in Brunei. The staff at the airport had no idea and were not helpful in the slightest. There was no wifi to contact anyone to let them know with the exception on using a horribly connected hotspot from one of the staff for about 10 minutes. The airport was freezing and they said it would likely be around 8 hours before the flight could take off. They said they couldn’t put us into hotels as “there weren’t any available” so we were just expected to sit in the airport for all this time with no guarantee of the flight even leaving. The communication was so bad that no one ever knew what was actually happening or where to go, and unless you specifically went and searched the airport for the few and far between staff and asked them there was no information given. In the end we landed in London almost exactly 12 hours later than we should have. I cannot believe how bad the experience with Royal Brunei was and I will never fly with them again.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei
Date FlownJanuary 2020

15th January 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Thank you for your time sharing this review. We apologize for the technical issues that led to the delay of the flight at short notice. We were facing operational constraints at that moment, but we wanted to try our best to get our guests to their final destination on time. Nevertheless, the information provided will be shared with the relevant department and proper remedial actions will be taken. Please kindly provide us details of your flight including your ticket reference to [email protected], for our further investigations Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies for what you went through. We hope you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a much better experience and restore your confidence in us in the future.

"airline did not apologise"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to London via Brunei in August 2019. The first flight was Melbourne to Bandar was meant to be a 787, and when we boarded it was an A320, claustrophobic and uncomfortable it was for a 7 hr flight. Trapped in narrow seats, with hardly any leg room. I upgraded at quite a cost to business class for this leg on my return flight as we did not want to undergo this again. Bandar to London was OK, very average and nothing much to comment, but the airline did not apologise for the inconvenience of the first leg, let alone making any amends. All in all not a good experience, and I would never fly this airline again .. just a 100-200 dollars cheaper than others. Not worth it.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei
Date FlownSeptember 2019

13th January 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear @S Thawayana, Thank you for your time sharing this review. We apologize for the technical issues on our B787 originally meant for your flight that led to the an aircraft swap at short notice. We were facing operational constraints at that moment, but we wanted to try our best to get our guests to their final destination on time. We are aware of the difference in travel experience on both aircrafts, hence when such solutions are chosen, we offer all our affected guests with an apology letter and compensation for the change of aircraft. If this did not reach you, kindly contact us at [email protected] and our team will ensure this is done. Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies for what you went through. We hope you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a much better experience and restore your confidence in us in the future.

"but you dont have to yell"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Brunei to Tokyo. I was seated at 39. it was a full flight and when come to meal service, a male purser was offering my seat mate a choice of Fish and Beef. When come to my turn, he didnt ask me what would i like but asking me any drinks for you sir? Moments later my meal is given to me and i ask him what is the main course, he said its fish. As i have not fancied fish meal, i ask him what can i have. Heraise his voice at me, "we do not have the beef anymore, what we have left is fish". I told him i do not eat fish so ask if beef is available on the other cart? He is reluctant and without checking said this is full flight and we dont cater extras meal on board, its just fish we have left. do you want it or not! I told him to take back the fish meal and left me with the small portion of dessert that came with the set meal! I understand the meals are limited to selection especially when you seated in the middle section of the aircraft when meal serving are last, but you dont have to yell or speak loud to me when everyone needs to turn back and look at me. Its kind of embarrassing for that moment!
AircraftA320Neo
RouteBrunei to Tokyo

31st December 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear C Kan, Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Excellent customer service is one of our top priorities, and we are disappointed to learn that you had anything less than that on your recent flight to Tokyo with us. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further and will be glad if you reach us at [email protected] to share your exact flight details. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you.

"I was disappointed"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Melbourne via Brunei. I was travelling with Royal Brunei for the last 5 years as they got a very good service but this time I was disappointed. Flight was delayed for 4 hours and only came to know about the delay when i reached the airport and then for 6 hours due to bad weather. I was waiting at the airport from midnight, they keep changing the gates and lots of confusion happened in between. At last the flight took off at 13:30 Pm. No one was offered any food or water for the delay. After the flight took off only got a small meal and a bottle of water. No juice or soft drink. I was expecting more food (as my experience in past) later but we didn't got anything and the crew was not helpful. The flight had less leg room. We land in Melbourne 8 hours late due to delay (11:45 am). Didn't get much for breakfast and coffee. I was travelling with Royal Brunei from 2014, but all other times we got great service and this was so terrible.
RouteDubai to Melbourne via Brunei

31st December 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear M Darson, Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We always try our best to deliver a great experience despite the challenge when we face such unforeseen circumstances. All our guests definitely need to be well taken care of during such prolonged delays. Hence we would like to know more details of your flight to look into this matter. Kindly reach us at gx.rba.com.bn if you would like to discuss this further with us. Your loyalty means a lot to us so we will definitely use your feedback to improve our services. We hope to hear from you soon.

"definitely recommend Royal Brunei"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to London via Brunei. I’m working as a paramedic in UK and must fly at least twice a year to Brisbane, where my children live. For the first time I used Royal Brunei and I was very impressed. The short lay over and small price determined me to use RBA. First impression was the humble and professional attitude of the staff, very clean planes, good leg room, amazing food. Crew walked the extra mile to accommodate passengers, me included and their service was amazing. The flight’ s attendants leaders on the Brunei-London leg took the time and listened to my feedback. Reintroduce the short lay over middle way between Brunei-London. I definitely recommend Royal Brunei.
RouteBrisbane to London via Brunei
Date FlownNovember 2019

7th November 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear S Mardun, Thank you very much for taking the time to share an excellent review about us. Our team works hard to ensure a great guest experience is provided for all our guests and we are glad that we achieved this with you on your recent flight with us. Your positive feedback will be shared with our cabin crew team who will be very glad to hear about this. Once again, thank you for choosing Royal Brunei Airlines. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again on your next return flight to Brisbane and hopefully for many years to come. Cheers!

"airline was closed over the weekend"

Not Verified | London to Melbourne via Brunei. Flight was good and crew were great. But upon trying to check in online I had noticed that my 4 year old daughter and 15 year old son were allocated seats away from me. When I tried to change seats nothing happened. Tried to contact my travel agent and she said that the airline was closed over the weekend. What sort of supposed international airline isn’t contactable 24/7? So now I had to wait till the last minute to sort this out. I thought that it was a duty of care that minors were seated with their parents? If you want customer service don’t fly Royal Brunei.
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownOctober 2019

22nd October 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear S Weir, thank you for sharing this review. We are so sorry to hear about your negative experience when trying to choose your seats online and apologize that our London town office was closed during the weekend. We are looking into solutions to provide assistance to all our guests from our other available representatives during weekends. For families travelling together, our team always prioritizes pre-flight checking to ensure families are seated together, therefore your case was immediately looked into and fortunately, we are able to find a solution for you just in time to make things right for your Melbourne flight today. We hope this will be convenient for you and your family and we hope to be able to welcome you onboard our flight again in the future.