Qatar Airways

(Qatar)

We have flown Qatar Airways economy class 4 times in the past 15 months. As we are now living in Doha for work purposes 3 of those 4 flights originated in Doha. Doha to JFK to Florida and back to Doha. Our first two flights 12 months ago in economy class were very nice. Much better than the other airlines we have travelled on for international flights. However in the past 12 months the other two flights have shown a huge decrease in quality of service and a huge increase in cost. The main difference that seems glaring is the level of attentiveness from the Flight Attendants the quality of food that is now being served and the huge cost increase.

Qatar Airways customer review

We flew back from Delhi (QR 563) on 6th Jan. After an 8hr 21 min delay due to fog we discovered the aircraft was switched from the Dreamliner (787) to the A330. The switch in aircraft certainly extended the delay. The communication to update on the flight was terrible. Once we reached Doha we were told there was no other way back to NYC other than taking the flight on 7th Jan (QR 701). The transit process on 7th January felt was awful there was lack of communication. Once we reached the aircraft we waited and waited until the captain announced we would be delayed - ended up being 1hr 10 mins. While in the air the aircraft was new and we were lucky enough to have an emergency seat. The flight crew appeared tired and unwilling to be pleasant to passengers. Most of the food was barely edible. We landed and 1 hr and 32mins late with no apology or update from the pilot on our flight progress.

Qatar Airways customer review

IAH-DOH-MAA in Y. Check-in line looked horrendous at first but it moved well and we were on our way in about 30 minutes. I found it strange though that you first had to queue up for a baggage weight check then go to the counter and have your bags weighed again. IAH-DOH was in a B777-300ER. The 3-3-3 configuration that QR uses is far superior to the 3-4-3 setup that more and more airlines are using today as the extra inch or two of width provides a feeling of much more personal space. Seat pitch at 33 inches is also better than many long-haul carriers and as we had seats directly in front of a bulkhead had unlimited recline at our disposal which made for a more comfortable flight. I was able to get about 5 hours of sleep. Two meals are served with decent taste and quality and free wine beer and spirits available. I had heard horror stories about the transit procedure in DOH but found it quite painless and it took just 35 minutes to get from our plane through the bus ride and security and to our onward gate. Boarding process for our DOH-MAA leg was a bit chaotic. Boarding starts very early more than an hour before takeoff and you are initially herded into a holding area with far too few seats compared to the number of people. You are eventually boarded onto a bus followed by an extremely long ride to the plane at which point we were held for a further 5-10 minutes. Once on board everything was fine though I found the A330-200 considerably more cramped than the 777. The IFE box didn't help but the seats were also an inch narrower and with an inch less pitch. On both legs the IFE system is excellent with a wide variety of AVOD shows/movies and games along with a customizable flight map. Meal was the typical "veg/non veg" option you get headed to India and quality was not nearly as good as on the IAH-DOH leg. Service by the FAs was consistently excellent with every request attended to promptly and with a smile. Qatar offers a very good coach product overall and is a superior alternative to Emirates if you are headed to Asia or the Middle East.

Qatar Airways customer review

Flying in Business Class from Bali - Singapore - Doha on the new 777-300ER is a remarkable experience. Qatar is definitely up there amongst the best in terms of inflight product on the 777-300ER. The seat converts into a fully-flat bed and although the layout is very open (compared to SQ and EK) given the 2-2-2 layout walking over your neighbour in order to reach the aisle is not overly cumbersome. The food and service was excellent although am not a huge fan of some of their colour choices for their uniforms. I also really liked the PJs that you get although then you realize that the bathrooms are very small and changing is not that easy. SQ for example has a much bigger lavatory up front and also more stylish. Qatar could improve on this. What I'm not a big fan of is their IFE system. It seems very simplistic trying to move the mouse around the basic user interface and the choice of movies is lacking. This was perhaps the biggest drawback on my Qatar flight.

Qatar Airways customer review

Munich-Doha-Perth. Munich to Doha on pretty empty 787. Lovely plane and flight. Doha airport painful long bus to and from planes. Had booked Oryx lounge which is well worth it. Doha-Perth full but service still quick. 777 not as nice as 787 but still perfectly comfortable. Overall short flight time but service not as good as Singapore air. Will try Qatar airlines again once new Doha airport one but likely to stick to Singapore air until then.

Qatar Airways customer review

Melbourne to Doha in Business class. 777-200LR. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The food was the best I've had in Business and a great anytime style menu. Seat was comfortable to sit in and the full lie flat beds were great. My wife and I both got a solid 8 hours sleep which is testament to the quality of the seat/bed. We were also provided with amenities pack and pyjamas which we made use of. Aircraft was modern and well looked after and flight smooth. I'd say its as good as if not better than Emirates business and considerably cheaper.

Qatar Airways customer review

Berlin - Doha - Melbourne in Economy. A330 Berlin - Doha. Seat comfort was very good and space no issue and I'm 6'3. Food was also very good for an economy flight. A choice of 3 meals. Flight attendants were polite and friendly but because they have so many people to look after can come across a bit rushed. Doha - Melbourne 777-200LR . Seats didn't feel quite as comfortable but it didn't help that the person in front was reclined the whole way but alas so did I. Still managed to have a sleep. Flight attendants were polite and friendly. Food served while ok wasn't as good as the previous flight. Total flying time was around 17.5 hours from Berlin which was the quickest we have ever done it in and good if you have kids. One thing to mention we did have quite a few families near us and the staff really looked after them which was good to see. gave them some toys cool lunch boxes with meals in them and a little play time etc. Plane to terminal is by bus in Doha but with their new airport which is almost finished being built I think it'll be a thing of the past.

(Egypt)

BKK-DOH-HBE. Economy Class. It is the first time we have flown economy for a few years and will probably be the last. Seats are cramped person in front put his seat back when we tried the person behind complained so I was sitting 4 inches from the screen. Food average. Will travel again on Qatar but only in Business Class.

Qatar Airways customer review

21/12/13 LHR-DOH-BKK 5/01/14 BKK-DOH-LHR. What did I think of the service? In a word impressive! Now a days when some airlines seem to think of economy passengers as 'self loading cargo' it was refreshing to receive a level of service that I thought no longer existed! Very comfortable cabins very good catering and impressed with the cabin staff. Last time I flew to Asia I used Gulf Air: They out classed them.

(Russian Federation)

Doha - London LHR QR001. First Class Lounge at Premium Transfer Terminal very nice but boarding process was quite disorganized. The car that was to transfer me to the plane came only after all business class passengers left to buses while I had to wait at the gate door. Onboard the A330 was new and clean seats comfortable staff were very attentive and friendly. Food was outstanding the best first class food I ever had. The greatest drawback was the IFE. Films were very poorly chosen and there was quite a limited number of them. Will fly Qatar in the future but only if they improve their boarding process and IFE.
Seat TypeFirst Class