Cathay Pacific Airways

"Service as always top notch"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Seoul via Hong Kong. Both flights on time with orderly boarding. Both flights on the rather uncomfortable regional business class seats. Flight from Hong Kong to Seoul was downgraded on the last minute from herringbone Style lie flat seat to the regional seat. Service as always top notch, lounges in Hong Kong great. The only let down was the downgrading of seat.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / A333
RouteBangkok to Seoul via Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"delays, lies and narrow seats"

Trip Verified | I bought a roundtrip ticket 8 days before departure then a day after that I got an email that my flight from my stop, Hong Kong, to Manila will be delayed. Instead of arriving the same night at 1035PM, I will arrive the next day at 0350. I called the customer service and they gave me an excuse about Volcano ashes issue. If that was the case, why my sister's flight with different carrier is not delayed. We tried to synchronize our arrival time so we could get picked up at the same time. After the plane landed in Hong Kong, I went to The Bridge Lounge for Cathay Pacific and I was told that the delay for the flight CX913 has been happening for weeks now. How come their website is not giving off warning or being updated of the actual flight schedule instead of surprising passengers after buying the tickets. This is ridiculous. They wouldn't even give me a free access to their lounge for the inconvenience. I wouldn't trust or fly Cathay Pacific again. The flight experience was alright and so were the food but if you hate delays, lies and narrow seats, then this airline isn't for you.
RouteHong Kong to Manila
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"a flawless and comfy flight"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Bangkok with Cathay Pacific. The usual high standard at the CX lounge in Terminal 4. Boarding well organized, flight on time and uneventful on this gorgeous new A359. Food decent for this short 2h flight. I received special attention by the lovely purest as a One World Emerald member, something which never happened while flying Y class on BA. Overall a flawless and comfy flight.
RouteSingapore to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Cathay is now in the middle of the pack"

Not Verified | My how things have changed. We flew Cathay 5 years ago when our son went to school in Hong Kong. Cathay rivaled the best airlines. Just completed a flight. Flight attendants still wonderful. Facilities very good as always - very nicely designed business class seats. Food - way worse - did not even serve a dinner on our flight, just a lunch and breakfast, and it really was nothing special. No more pajamas either, on a 15 hour flight. Amenity kit also got a downgrade. Cathay is now in the middle of the pack as far as I'm concerned. No longer a top airline. I would imagine the slowdown in Hong Kong has really hurt them and they decided to cheapen the product. Too bad.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteChicago to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"FA's never welcomed us properly"

Trip Verified | My family has been flying Cathay for a long time on trans continental and other long haul flights. Having flown ANA, JAL and other Asian airlines, we decided to give Cathay's business class product a try as we had heard good things about them. Our first impression from the onset was lack of hospitality from the check in counters which gradually got worse as we boarded. The onboard FA's never welcomed us properly, didn't ask for our coats to be hung. The Flight manager came once introducing herself and we never saw her again. The crew were just pacing up and down the aisle and never once smiled. They continued with one of the worst meal offerings. The meals on a set menu weren't dine anytime options, they were pre packaged and felt the same offerings were being presented to economy class passengers. The bread tasted like it was transported from 4 flights before. It wasn't surprising to see how much Cathay had declined in the reviews. Currently, they sit at the bottom among 10 best airlines in some websites and much lower in others. It's sad to see that a premier airlines can't get the basics right. Perhaps, the can take a leaf from ANA and Singapore airlines hospitality. We flew Singapore economy on short haul flights and their service was next to superb with so much attention to details in economy! The positives at Cathay were their beds and on board IFE. The beds were very comfy with the duvets and offered good privacy. However, the cabin cleanliness wasn't great. The 777 aircraft was tired looking. The Pier lounge at HKG was great at first impression especially their tea and bar offerings. However, the lounge fell completely flat in food options. ANA and JAL lounges in Japan are absolutely amazing compared to Cathay's. I still believe in the airlines but I won't be flying unless I have experienced from other travellers that they have indeed improved their lacklustre service and food offerings.
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"The flight was miserable"

Not Verified | I was excited to fly Cathay Pacific long haul to Australia as I had, in the past heard good things. The flight was miserable. Seats are so narrow and no pitch but worst of all minimal attention from flight crew. On 16 hour flights typically attendants serve water or offer drinks on regular basis. Other than the meal service no beverages were offered. There are no air ducts above each seat so you are unable to adjust for comfort. The Vancouver to Hong Kong leg was almost unbearable. The Hong Kong to Perth leg was so so hot and nothing can be done about it. On return I booked bulkhead seats at extra cost but arrived to find that seats were at least 2 inches narrower. Husband could not fit into window seat at all so 6'3" guys rammed into centre seat with gameboy smashed into his hip for 11 hours. Never again.
RouteEdmonton to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"unprofessional and rude service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Cape Town. Never experienced such unprofessional and rude service. About 3 hours before arrival in Cape Town breakfast was served. Hostess asked my husband if he wants Conpoy Congee with beef stroganoff or omelette, he replied omelet please. She gave him the Congee. When opened he saw it's not the omelet. She was then just serving the row behind us. He informed her he got the wrong one and asked to switch for the omelette. She grabbed the container out of his hand literally threw the omelette infront of him. My husband and I were both shocked. I wanted to do something about it but my husband asked me to leave it for now. We were both very tired after almost 15 hour flight. They do not have name tags so I did not get her name.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHong Kong to Cape Town
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"really disappointed with the overall experience"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to London Heathrow via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific Airways. Considering the premium seats cost almost 4 times the economy seats, I was really disappointed with the overall experience. Meal was exactly the same as what you receive in economy, as is the amenity kit. When compared to PE in Qantas or BA, this lacks a lot (you get meals and drink service more in line with business class on those carriers). The only advantage if you are a OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire is getting access to the Pier Lounge at Hong Kong Airport, otherwise if you don't have status and are looking for an upgrade other than just some extra leg room then I wouldn't recommend this. WIFI also didn't work on all 4 return legs of my flight, despite there being a WIFI symbol on the walls. You would be better off spending your money on China Southern Airlines business class seat for a similar cost (and get a lie flat seat) or paying for economy on one leg & business on the other (with any airline). TIP: Also avoid the front row aisle seats in premium - I don't really have long legs (5ft6') and yet the air hostesses still knocked my feet every time they came through the door from business, waking me up at least 4 times despite my legs not sticking out on the aisle.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBrisbane to London Heathrow via Hong Kong

"Lost our bags"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Manila via Hong Kong. Be wary flying this airline. Worst experience ever with no compensation or remedy. Lost our bags for the entirety of our stay in an entirely different country so we had nothing and there was no compensation or attempt to rectify. Only emails saying how “sorry” they were. Then on the day we were flying home they found our luggage and still, just “sorry”.
RouteSeattle to Manila via Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Never fly with them again"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Manila via Hong Kong. Flight delayed in Hong Kong as well, their compensation was a cup of Starbucks coffee. Arrived in Manila, my luggage didnt arrive with me. I filed a report with their staff and promised to deliver my things within 2-3 days. My luggage arrived at home after 2 days. I found that the lock was broken. After several things, I checked on my luggage again to pack my things back to Madrid. Found out that one of the wheels was detached. I didnt see this when they delivered to me. Due to the fact that they broke it and attached it again to its place so it wont be obvious that it was detached already. I made a written report to them but refused to give me any compensation. Their assistance is very unhelpful and unfriendly. Never fly with them again.
RouteGatwick to Manila via Hong Kong