Alaska Airlines

"What a ripoff!"

Not Verified | I have had the Alaska Air Visa for many years and had accumulated quite a few points. I scheduled a flight online and went back the next day to upgrade to 1st class with my points and was told there were no upgrade seats available, though the flight was still over three and a half months in the future. They finally relented and said that they would let me upgrade but that I would have to pay $209, that I had not selected the upgrade fare when I made the reservation. So the "upgrade fare" is $209 more! I have to pay $209 to use my points? What a ripoff! "Get our credit card and get points, but you have to pay to use them"?
RouteChicago to Anchorage
Date FlownMarch 2020

"awful if you get stranded somewhere"

Not Verified | This airline is awful if you get stranded somewhere. They cancelled all flight out of Texas for an entire week and did not give vouchers for anything. We were stuck in Texas and had to pay out of pocket for places to stay for an entire week. When I asked about vouchers they stayed that they do not do vouchers for weather issues. When I checked the weather the day before my trip the estimated low was only in the forties. I think that the airline should have helped out at least a bit with housing us during the storm. I would never recommend using this airline because they do so little to help you out when they strand you somewhere.
RouteBozeman to Seattle via San Antonio
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I would not take a free ticket from them at this point"

Trip Verified | Mid Flight I realized something was dripping from the ceiling from where the seam of the airplane is. The flight attendant made everyone take their bags out of the overhead compartment thinking it was a water bottle leaking, it was not, it was coming out of the plane. They had no clue what to do. My hair and jacket were wet, they offered me nothing, not a napkin or a seat change. I moved myself to stay dry and in all the confusion left a bag under the seat in front of where I was sitting. I went to fill out the lost and found form today finding they charge $40 to fill out the lost and found form. I would not take a free ticket from them at this point. Worst experience ever!
RouteDenver to Seattle
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"Worst experience of my life"

Not Verified | Worst experience of my life. I have always supported Alaska, but never again. On our Feb 13th flight to Orlando, it was nothing but a poor show. First, the flight was boarded on time. After around 45 minutes, they deplaned and claimed there were no pilots. Then why did you board the plane? I understand delays when there is winter weather, but it was pretty odd that they boarded anyway. The pilots then arrived about two hours late. Everyone cheered and they got ready to board! Not even 30 seconds later, the Alaska Airlines app notified us the flight was cancelled? My boyfriend ran to the counter to ask to switch to a new flight and asked “is our flight really cancelled?” The flight attendant said “what? I don’t think so?” They didn’t even know before it was announced? The pilots said they were ready to fly it. Then, everyone was frantic and running to the counter. We were told it was cancelled because the pilots were too late. Okay, fair enough. We were then booked on a flight days later that had a huge layover in San Diego. We took it upon ourselves to book a new flight that night on Delta. Flash forward one week, and one of our travelers with us had their Alaska Airlines flight home to Seattle cancelled without her knowledge because she was a “no show.” What? To add insult to injury, we had to spend more than $500 extra each to get to our destination, and they offered her a $100 voucher only and claimed the original flight was cancelled for weather when that was not what we were told, that’s suspicious. I got a $12 meal voucher that only could work on the random flight that they booked me on without my approval so really I got nothing. Never flying this airline again.
RouteSeattle to Orlando
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"they are cheap and understaffed"

Trip Verified | Tennessee to Anchorage flight. Waited for 2 hours to board the plane after it landed. It took them 1.5 hours to deplane the previous passengers. We didn't board until 40+ minutes after it was supposed to leave. They claimed they were delayed because of weather but said airline crew were taking a while loading our bags. The airline was full, no open middle seat for covid. We took off 3 hours after our expected departure time when the plane had arrived 2 hours before set departure. Almost all passengers missed connecting flights and had to stay the night in the airport. The Nashville crew said they would "take care of us" who missed our connecting flight. The Seattle Alaska Air customer service refused to pay for a hotel because delay was due to "weather" and said the Nashville team had no authority to tell us they would take care of us. The entire group of people presented the facts of the flight, clearly articulating this could not be a weather delay, but it didn't matter because it was what their "computer said." Additionally, due to being on the airplane for 6 hours I asked for a few extra small bottles of water and the stewardess asked me "How many people do you have in your party? Do you have three people?" My impression of this airline is that they are cheap and understaffed (hence the baggage loading delay) and stuffing their planes to max capacity during covid. They require us to wear masks but aren't taking adequate precautions on their end. I will do everything in my power not to take this airline again.
RouteTennessee to Anchorage
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"What a waste of time, money, dignity, and livelihood"

Not Verified | Currently trying to sleep on the floor of the Seattle International airport with no blankets, no food, and white fluorescent light everywhere wishing that this airline had a text reminder I can sign up for that reminds me to just luck the Delta flight that costs $20 more. What a waste of time, money, dignity, and livelihood.
RouteBozeman MT to Los Angeles CA
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"greedy, selfish airline company"

Trip Verified | I had booked a flight just before the pandemic, only for the pandemic to hit and eliminate all flights and travel. They only allowed a credit, which was frustrating but I knew I would use it because I fly for medical appointments. Well I tried using it a handful of times and they make it impossible. They don't offer any non-stop flights but I can find any ticket desired through another website for the same airline. And now the ticket is expiring, that's $300 thrown away to a greedy, selfish airline company.
RouteSalt Lake City to San Diego
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"No beverage or snack offered"

Trip Verified | First leg was a red eye. No beverage or snack offered at departure nor in the morning before disembarking Seattle. There was sufficient time to offer at least water or make an announcement at Kona airport that you would not offer any food or beverages. This was a 5+ hour flight. Second leg SEA to RDU, on offer of beverage and a package of cookies, did not offer a second beverage service for a 5+ hour flight. I would have asked for two waters if I would have known. I used Clorox wipes to clean my area (Prem. Econ.), wipe was dirty when I was finished. Makes me wonder if they did a good job cleaning the plan.
RouteKoa to Raleigh via Seattle
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I have yet to be disappointed in regards to flights"

Not Verified | Great flights and crews in each direction. I went to see my uncle who turned 90 on the eleventh. He had recently lost his wife and was alone. I told him I was coming down and would fly into Springfield, MO and drive from there. He agreed and was pleased that I made the effort. The flight down was a day flight which was unusual for me as I typically do a red eye however, I decided to split up the trip and stay at a nearby hotel in Seattle. I was up early, went through the TSA checkpoint in a somewhat timely manner and grabbed a cup of coffee at the Alaska Lounge. We departed on-time as has been the case with most of my Alaska flights. I sat next to a fellow who had been an F-4 jock back in the day and we spent much of the flight swapping war stories. The flight itself was fine, the crew was great, personable, professional and pleasant to deal with. We arrived on time. I then eventually found my AA flight to Springfield. Had a great time with my uncle, celebrating his 90 years. The return trips were great. I flew in First on three of the four Alaska legs and really had no complaints other than the breakfast meal I had pre-ordered was not available, I had the fruit and cheese choice which is fine with me anytime. Again, I landed in Seattle on-time and back to the hotel to break up the long day. Off to SEATAC the next morning and spent 3 hours at the Alaska Lounge watching the airport activity and drinking some great coffee. Our flight back up to Anchorage was great for me, the fellow next to me was not a happy camper though, he did not get what he ordered for breakfast and vowed never to fly Alaska again. I tried to tell him that things are different now thanks to Covid-19 and we all need to adjust a bit in regards to changes. He was not going to change his mind though. I guess I am just lucky in regards to my flights on Alaska. I read other trip reports on this forum giving very low ratings and I cannot believe what I am reading. I have yet to be disappointed in regards to flights, crew professionalism, on time arrivals etc. Yes, they could have more food in First I guess, but if that is your only worry be thankful, the folks in back don't get any. For me, I am pleased that they provide the services that they do in a safe and professional manner.
AircraftB8/900
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteAnchorage to Dallas Fort-Worth via Seattle
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"you think they would be more ready for cold weather"

Trip Verified | For an airline called Alaska Airlines you think they would be more ready for cold weather. Especially since 100% snow was forecasted in Austin over a day before my flight. Regardless had to sit in the airplane for 3 hours to wait for them to defrost the plane. This was for a 4 hour flight.
RouteAustin to Seattle