Alaska Airlines

"seat upgrades are service charges"

Trip Verified | I had a credit in my Alaska Wallet from a flight I had to cancel due to covid. The credit included a payment I made for Premium Economy seats. When I went to apply the credit to a later flight I was shocked to see my cc was charged for the upgrade to Premium. Nowhere on Alaska's website does it say that credits can't be used for seat upgrades. Inquiring with customer service I was told that seat upgrades are "service charges" and are therefore excluded. On our recent flight from Austin-Bergstrom to Seattle I upgraded to Premium Economy, paying with a cc, not a credit, but was informed the day before that the livery had changed from a 737-900 to a 737-700 and there were no Premium seats. We are not short people and had to spend the 4 1/2 flight in very cramped seats on a flight that was booked to capacity. Delta will be our go-to airline from now on.
RouteAustin to Seattle Tacoma
Date FlownNovember 2022

"best customer service experience"

Not Verified | I had the best customer service experience! I dealt with Christine in the Seattle branch and she was expremely helpful, very professional, cheerful and informative. Thank you Christine for having such wonderful customer service skills and cheerful disposition! Totally made my day and makes me feel comfortable having my children fly without me for the first time. You are a wonderful representative for the airline they're lucky to have you!
RouteFt Myers Fl to Seattle WA
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Used to be a great airline"

Not Verified | Used to be a great airline but they left my husband and an entire plane of people stranded in Juneau, for 2 days, over Thanksgiving. Didn't give him a hotel voucher, won't upgrade seats now that we're traveling back home, nothing. They're "not responsible", and their desk agents suck in terms of customer service. I've had better flights and customer service on Spirit.
RouteSeattle to Ketchikan
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I used to love this airline"

Not Verified | I purchased a "refundable" ticket for my mother, when she could not make the trip due to health issues I requested a refund. The airline would only refund to the original payment method, even though I no longer have access to that card or bank with that institution. The airline told me it was too bad, and I would just have to work it out with the bank. I used to love this airline but they are nothing but thieves who stole $1000 dollars from me.
RouteLos Angeles to Seattle
Date FlownJune 2022

"I will never fly Alaska again"

Trip Verified | One day turnaround trip from Seattle to San Jose California to visit my father turning 96 years old. Flight from Seattle to San Jose is cancelled several hours before the flight. I am "conveniently re-routed" for the next day going through Los Angeles that would result in my arriving at 8pm. Forced to go through SF and rebook on my own. Return flight: my noon departure is delayed due to mechanical. First delay showed that flight would leave at 1:45. That changed to 2:45 and then 6pm and then 8:20. Alaska did not cancel the flight even though they knew it would be 8 hours until the part arrived and was installed. I rebooked on my own because Alaska would not cancel the flight. The noon flight ended up leaving at 8:15. In 40 years of flying, this is the worst experience I've ever had with an airline. They do not know what they are doing. Service personnel were confused, rude, and ill informed. Most of us got our information by walking with a pilot who conveyed the part delay. I'm not sure what has caused the disintegration of a functional airline, but I will never fly Alaska again. I'm frankly too scared from this experience to trust getting in the air with them.
RouteSeattle to San Jose
Date FlownNovember 2022

"treated poorly for being a loyal customer"

Not Verified | We have been Alaska Travel Card members since they began. Our last two trips, all in 2022, have had our flights changed multiple times including loss of our premium seats and reassigned to horrible seats. Both trips we used our companion ticket. The trip to Costa Rica was booked LAX to SJO non-stop but both on the trip down and back have added a stop in Liberia which Alaska used as an excuse to bump us from our premium seats. Our trip back to the States, we checked in showing stop in Liberia and confirmed premium seats and purchased food only to wake up and find they had changed it again showing no stop to Liberia and loss of premium seats from LAX to PDX (giving us a seat with no windows). No food. We are now boarded and informed we are stopping in Liberia even though our boarding pass shows direct to LAX. I don’t know what is going on but they are no longer reliable in terms of booking a flight or picking a seat. Count yourself lucky if you get on a flight. I may be looking into Capital One travel card that allows you to book with any airline and the airline treats you as a full paying customer - not treated poorly for being a loyal customer.
RouteSan José to Portland via Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Do not count on Alaska Airlines to help"

Trip Verified | Do not count on Alaska Airlines to help if you request mobility assistance. In Boston - I requested assistance, they refused to help me to the counter. My luggage was falling, I was tripping. But I got no help! Then I was told I had to put my checked luggage on the platform. I said I needed help I was told "you have to put your luggage up here". So a disabled woman tripping and falling over a cane managed to put up a 50 pound piece of luggage. Only after did the incompetent woman ask if I needed assistance? I had asked for help three times and was told no! So I said - if I'm required and able to lift a 50 pound suitcase by myself, I will get myself down to the gate since Alaska Airlines is useless. On my way from Anchorage to Boston I took Delta - I had to pay/tip every person who touched the wheelchair - and I still had to pick up my own baggage? I got to the gate myself bumbling through TSA, who wondered why I didn't have help. When I said I was with Alaska Airlines, they won't help - the woman said "Ah - yes Alaska Airlines, no, they are not much help" and she proceeded to help me. I arrived at the gate and was immediately pursued by an irate employee asking me loudly my name - and very loudly stating they have to fill out a form for when a customer requests assistance but refuses the wheelchair. I quietly explained the situation, and he continued to chastise me, mimic my words - told him to rip it up. No problems here. He refused. He got louder and more obnoxious. He demanded an explanation - I said, if you're going to make me lift a 50 pound bag by myself, after I kept asking for help - I figure I'll be better off getting myself to the gate. I regret not filing a report on this guy, but I have sympathy because its very difficult to get competent help in Massachusetts or Logan airport. I arrived in Seattle, jumped in their wheelchair and barely made it to the connection. Arrived in Anchorage - there was a rep on the ramp talking on the radio stating he had already requested wheelchairs that were not there. So I didn't bother to hang around. I walked all over the airport and I am in serious pain, I will never depend on Alaska Airlines to help anyone disabled. It works against us and we have to tip everyone so it costs more. Stewards and stewardesses range from incompetent to excellent.
RouteBoston to Anchorage
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Just another corporate bait and switch ripoff"

Not Verified | Alaska Airlines reduced the value of their mileage program after I had responded to incentives and earned 108,000 miles. I tried to book a rewards flight and Alaska had reduced the value of my accumulated miles so much that I could only get tickets on the worst flights that landed the day after take-off. Just another corporate bait and switch ripoff.
RouteJacksonville to Seattle
Date FlownNovember 2022

"cautious about flying them in the future"

Trip Verified | Have taken this same flight weekly usually with friendly service. However today was awful. Had pre checked luggage and they would not help me. Wanted me to stand in a 45 minute line to hand them luggage. Claimed the agent that would take pre checked bags didn’t come in till 5 am when this has never been the case. When I asked if an agent could take it instead of saying no the person was extremely rude! Ended up using carrying on luggage but had already paid the $30. Rider be warned. If you are flying on a Tuesday (I usually fly on a Monday) the people working not on Monday are rude, abrasive, and awful. Will be cautious about flying them in the future.
RoutePortland to San Jose
Date FlownNovember 2022

"not fly Alaska Airlines again"

Not Verified | The landing from Seattle to Ontario arrived at 8:35 pm resulted in damage to my luggage. The pilots landed so hard that some of the overhead luggage bins popped open falling onto some passengers! When picking up my baggage, the area around both of the suitcase's wheels was broken. I reported the damage to customer service and took photos of the luggage. Customer service gave me an email address for my photos. I was told they would take a couple of months to assess the damage and to wait for them to contact me by email. I have not heard from them. I paid $350 for my London Fog suitcase. I will not fly Alaska Airlines again.
RouteSeattle to Ontario