Alaska Airlines

"don't give Alaska Airlines your money in any way"

Not Verified | I've been an Alaska Airline member for twenty-three years. I signed up for their credit card with one thought in mind - getting to Australia first-class for a prolonged vacation. My wife and I booked cruise tickets for 2020. Six months beforehand, I tried to get tickets but there were no FC tickets available. I was told I waited too long. So, we delayed the trip (probably a good thing thinking about it) so as to get tickets the day they opened. Lo and behold, no first-class tickets on the very first day I could book travel. This time I was told that I was too early and that they could only release tickets that they were given by partner airlines (eg none). I complained and was politely told that they only had to honor the mile for tickets that were "available" which they defined as those given to them. Now, having waited for my grievance to be heard, there are no more coach tickets available. And only on the days that my wife and I want to fly and two days on either side (what a coincidence). What I've been able to glean from case law, the airlines can promise whatever they want and change the rules whenever they want (and the courts back them up). That is almost the textbook definition of bait and switch. Don't get reeled into this insanity, and don't give Alaska Airlines your money in any way.
RoutePortland to Sydney Australia
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"The absolute worst accommodations for customers"

Trip Verified | The absolute worst accommodations for customers. We had a flight from Honolulu-NYC with a stop in Seattle. They did not serve tea or coffee, entire flight they just gave us a biscuit. Total of 11.5 hours of flights and they only served biscuits. Shameful and inhumane accommodations, then when we finally arrived in NYC they mishandled my luggage. As I am writing this review, it has been 12 hrs since we arrived and I was just informed that my luggage will arrive at 11pm today (amazing delivery time). I will never fly this ridiculous inhumane airlines ever again.
RouteHonolulu to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"the wifi is so slow that it is a waste of money"

Not Verified | Staff were great and friendly. However, you have to pay $20 for wifi, and the wifi is so slow that it is a waste of money, so I couldn't do any work on the plane. This is one of the only airlines without a monitor. I would recommend this airline for short plane rides, but long ones are rough. Also, not a lot of legroom.
RouteSeatle to Boston
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"the second and last time I use them"

Trip Verified | Sadly I have to say the worst airline I have flown on. I'm from Alaska an they do not represent us, I don't know where to start, everything that can go wrong did. And good luck getting them on the phone or even at the airport for that matter, 7 hrs on the phone, I finally gave up and waited for a call back. They did not help or fix any of the problems! Made no effort to even try to act like they cared, even the other airline had nothing but disappointing things to say about the the invisible staff nowhere to be found. When on the phone they said they had staff at the booking counter but I was standing there. So disappointing, this is now the second and last time I use them. If you fly Alaska you know what I'm saying is unfortunately the truth. I should have learnt the 1st time. Best of luck to any one that makes the same mistakes I did. Just for fun try calling and see for yourself.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSalt Lake to Anchorage
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"threaten not to allow us to board"

Trip Verified | Our seats in first class had been given away. I told her we were checked in at SFO and this was completely unacceptable. She said she only had two seats available at the back of the plane and they were not together. I then asked for a supervisor. The gate manager came over looked at our reservation and attempted to put us on a 10pm flight with another airline she stated “It’s first class and you can be seated together but we can’t guarantee that flight won’t cancel so your other option is to take the seats we assigned then, call the 800 number to discuss a refund and good luck because this is happening with all the airlines”. At this point I became very upset and loudly told her this was not ok and expressed how I felt”. In hindsight I am sorry for my behavior and should not have taken my frustration out on her. She was doing the best she could given the circumstances. In a normal situation I would have cancelled our trip but unfortunately my husband had appointments schedule for the next two weeks in Costa Rica that we could not reschedule. We accepted the seat assignment but we’re not happy. As we were waiting to board I told my husband I was cancelling my credit card. The person who was boarding the passengers very loudly and extremely rudely told me to calm down (I wasn’t talking loudly nor was I even looking or talking to or at her)and would not allow us to board until I calmed down (I again was not showing any signs of anger or frustration).At this point I was near tears and did not reply. I simply walked away. My husband attempted to talk to her and she rudely told him no one is boarding. When I heard this I asked for her supervisor. The supervisor walked over and started reprimanding me about how they have been up since three o’clock that morning, they don’t have to put up with this (again at this time I was not even acknowledging her, was not even talking) and told my husband (again I was not talking or even acknowledging her or anyone else) she would take our bags off the plane and refund our tickets if I was going to cancel my credit card. I refused to even look engage in conversation with her. This action seemed to infuriate her and she demanded I “look at her while she was talking to me” then a proceeded to threaten not to allow us to board. At this point I was in tears but this did not seem to stop her barrage of unkindness. She stated “We are here to provide customer service and I obviously had no idea what that meant.! After we finished groveling and practically kissed her feet she then told the gate agent to open the door and let us board. She then checked my QR scan for Costa Rica (she was the third employee at this gate that had checked this) and said my passport number on the scan was 1 number wrong and she could not let me on the plane. At this point with tears streaming down my face she told the gate person to shut the door (it was on the plane 15 minutes later we found out we were being delayed because a crew member was not on the plane yet). She told me I had to fill out the form again. I was half way through when she said “Just take care of it in Costa Rica” at this point she told my husband she would allow us to board.
RouteSan Francisco to San Jose via Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Alaska is still my airline of choice!"

Not Verified | Flight to Austin on Dec 24 was uneventful. We received email notification that our return flight on the 27th was cancelled, and we were automatically rebooked for a flight on the 29th. That flight was delayed for 1 hour in Austin, and the SFO/Palm Springs leg by about 25 minutes. I must say that with all the cancellations that happened that week, we were lucky! I appreciated that auto rebooking, instead of having to spend hours on the phone. Alaska is still my airline of choice!
RoutePalm Springs to Austin
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever. I know I am just one person and the airline is big with many resources, but if this post helps just one other unsuspecting and trusting customer, then this effort would not have been in vain. We were going on a cruise, the ship leaving from LA. Our original air booking was a direct flight to LA (LAX) (07:00am - 9:50 am). However, Alaska reschedule this flight to two separate flights: a flight to Portland and a second flight from Portland to LA. The first flight was on time, but the second flight was delay long enough at Portland to result in us being too late to board our ship at 3:00pm(!!) - a cruise that we planned for more than year! Furthermore, when we rescheduled to return home the following day, we were told there were no more 1st class seats available and we will not be refunded the difference - yet when we boarded the plane, there were only two 1st class passengers on the plane! And, this flight too was delayed for more than 2 hours. Believe me, I will never fly Alaska again. We came all way, all excited, but all we got was just a look at the cruise ship.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteEverett to Los Angeles via Portland

"airline is unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Salt Lake City via Seattle. The airlines desk does not open in Honolulu until 8pm. Our flight was at 10:10 pm which you think would be ample time. Your checked baggage has to be looked through which took 45 minutes to get through. Their ticketing process as we timed it took about 20 minutes per customer! We had to still go through security! They were so slow that we barely made our flight. Once we got to the gate we were relieved until the flight attendants came and heard my 9 month old grand daughter coughing she had croup, which is not a sign of Covid. One of the flight attendants that had a power complex decided to tell my daughter that the baby could not get on the plane. Panicking the mother (who has been a flight attendant for 15 years), into tears. When they called the doctor at the airport he listened to her and said she was fine. Half of the people on the plane were coughing much harder. As we boarded the same flight attendant asked how the baby was I said she's fine - she turned to her fellow flight attendant and mimicked me while pulling a face. After we boarded she was not very professional the whole flight. This airline is unprofessional, unorganized and does not seem to care. If you do after reading this you get what you deserve!
RouteHonolulu to Salt Lake City via Seattle
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"website does not allow to select refund"

Trip Verified | Two flights delayed this week. They automatically rebooked my trip for Sacramento for a time after my meeting in Sacramento, and then delayed the rebooked flight as well. I went to cancel and their website does not allow to select refund. Tried to call- 4hr wait. Tried to chat and 6hrs later still no reply. I received a credit I would very much not like to use. Nothing but issues last 4 months. Communication and reliability have gone down hill.
RouteSeattle to Sacramento
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"worst airline I have ever used"

Trip Verified | Alaska Airlines is the worst airline I have ever used. I paid $890 to go from CA to Vegas and arrive the same day. Due to delays and cancellations, I did not arrive at my destination for 28 hours. I could have paid $200 to go the next day, but I wanted to arrive the same day. Instead, I spent 24 hours in the Seattle airport waiting for a “delayed” flight that never took place. After 24 hours in the airport, I did finally get a different flight to Vegas. When I attempted to get the difference of the same day flight and the next day flight ($690) they told me they are under no obligation to reimburse me since I did, eventually, arrive at my destination. Also, when calling customer service, I was told that the wait time before my call would be answered was 42 hours, 40 hours, and 46 hours. I eventually was given the option of having customer service return my call, which took over 10 hours. During that call, I was on hold over an hour waiting to talk to a supervisor. I advise anyone looking for an airline to avoid Alaska Airlines at all cost!
RouteOakland to Las Vegas