Alaska Airlines

"you think they would be more ready for cold weather"

Trip Verified | For an airline called Alaska Airlines you think they would be more ready for cold weather. Especially since 100% snow was forecasted in Austin over a day before my flight. Regardless had to sit in the airplane for 3 hours to wait for them to defrost the plane. This was for a 4 hour flight.
RouteAustin to Seattle
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"would not give us our original seats"

Trip Verified | Me and my family paid extra to have premium class in row 10 and 9. We reserved these spots many months before the actual flight and a week before our plane ride they separated me, my mom, and my 4 year old brother into separate rows far apart from each other. They told us we would have to wait until we get to the airport to change our seats. So we get to the airport and the guy at our gate was so beyond rude and would not give us our original seats we paid extra for. He was able to get our family together again since my little brother can’t sit in a seat by himself, however he put us in the very last row of the plane, row 32. I’m so beyond disappointed and mad at Alaska airplanes. They always change your seats even when you pay extra however this experience was the worst I’ve ever been threw. Highly suggest you chose a different airline than Alaska.
RouteSeattle to Fairbanks
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"she clearly didn't want to help me"

Trip Verified | I was on an aircraft that was delayed by a headwind and upon landing due to jet bridge problems. The stewardess continually said we were still early, even though we were not and my next flight was already boarding. When I asked what gate we came into and expressed concern for my connection, she said I booked them too close together. If that was the case, why did Alaska let me book a trip with an unmakeable connection? They hadn't and it wasn't. I made it by a hair after a sprint through the Seattle Airport. The stewardess on the first flight was extremely unhelpful and offered only a rude platitude to me as "help." They should know people have tight connections and should have offered me first off the flight, as I have seen before. Instead I had to rudely ignore covid deboarding protocol and sprint to the front, then off the flight to just barely make my next one. I originally was trying to have the stewardess notify my next flight that I was coming, but I never even bothered asking since she clearly didn't want to help me.
RouteLas Vegas to Seattle via Eugene
Date FlownDecember 2020

"The service was mediocre"

Trip Verified | We were delayed by about two hours, so instead of following the normal procedures everyone was shuffled on board at once, besides the disabled and gold mileage members. The seats were very thin and hard, although the recline angle was comfortable and the adjustable headrest was soft. Very little storage space in the seat back pocket, ended up putting my things on the empty seat besides me. There was also no coat hook, which is common on European airlines. The service was mediocre, there was only trail mix and your average drink options, although the attendant was kind enough to pour hot water into my own cup of noodles. There was no second service, however passengers were free to pick up drinks and snacks at the back. The wifi was slower than Delta, and the texting plan only worked half the time. There was no seat back screens, and entertainment was meant to be streamed from your own device. We paid 72 for the saver tariff, as well as 30 dollars per bag. The tickets were even cheaper than Spirit Airlines, which makes it definitely worth the value.
RouteFt. Lauderdale to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2020

"we will be back"

Trip Verified | Our flight attendants truly made an exceptional trip for us! We had to cut our honeymoon short due to complications with flights. They were able to help make it a fun and memorable night, getting us safely home. This was our first time flying with Alaska and we will be back.
RouteSeattle to Kansas City
Date FlownOctober 2020

"To say I was impressed would be a huge understatement"

Not Verified | I flew out to RDU and back in First with Alaska. The flight down to SEA was a typical redeye departing around 1:30 am. The flight was fine overall a bit bumpy but that happens. A three hour layover at the Alaska lounge made it very enjoyable, grabbed some coffee and snacks. At the gate, I enjoyed talking with a young Coastguardsman and a couple from Sterling AK. Being the chatboy that I am, I did not notice that I left my carry-on bag at the seat. I did though when I got onboard and informed the attendant. She told me I could not deplane but would send someone to get it for me. Of all people, the pilot got off the plane and found it for me. I could not believe it actually. To say I was impressed would be a huge understatement. The two attendants were fantastic individuals who certainly put customer service first. Their attitudes were exceptional. I thanked them both for their care and consideration upon my departing the aircraft in Raleigh and told them to please thank the Pilot for me. This may have been the best Alaska flight I have ever taken!
AircraftBoeing 737-800/900
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteAnchorage to Raleigh–Durham via Seattle
Date FlownOctober 2020

"Alaska ignores enforcement of their facemask policy onboard"

Not Verified | Alaska ignores enforcement of their facemask policy onboard by allowing fliers to wear mouth covering only or not at all in this case for more than 60 minutes. Their policy allows removing briefly while eating or drinking and 60 mins is not briefly. Further the limited capacity, blocked middle or on smaller aircraft aisle advertising is a crock. They announce when you are close to boarding that some will have strangers seated next to you and if you don't like it they will rebook you, great...no other flights today. All this speak about concerned for our safety is just fake news. Who knows what other safety shortcuts are taken. Bye bye Alaska for American and Delta.
RouteSan Diego to Spokane
Date FlownOctober 2020

"the middle seats were not empty"

Trip Verified | Went on a trip to San Diego with my sisters. Bought the same flights as them, only to have my return flight changed from 9:30am to 6:15am. On our flight down to San Diego, the middle seats were not empty. I was in row with two strangers. And one of my sisters was in a row with two strangers. The flight attendants came on the speaker to say “This flight is overbooked. You may be sitting 3 to a row with people not in your family. If this makes you uncomfortable we will put you on the next flight out”. Given this, I called Alaska to ask that I be put back on the 9:30 flight, since they are booking out the middle seats, I could easily sit in one row with two of my sisters. To prevent others from sitting next to strangers. They wouldn’t do that. They would rather have my sisters sit on a flight three to a row, next to strangers, than next to their own sister, who paid to be on that Flight in the first place. I then asked to be changed to the 7:30 am flight so I wouldn’t have to fly out so early. They told me I would have to pay $50 to do that. But there are no change fees on Alaska Airlines, and this 7:30 flight was going for the SAME price I paid for my original ticket (keep in mind I paid in part for the ticket using miles so I couldn’t just cancel and rebook). They said that regardless, I would have to pay the $50 same day change fee.
RouteSan Diego to Seattle
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"lose even the most loyal customers"

Trip Verified | Alaska Airlines has been going downhill over the last 5 years or so, but it is actually unbearable on this trip. First, I booked a flight LAX-PAE because I really wanted to fly into Paine Field; I figured it would be nice to come into a smaller airport while Washington State was in the beginning of Phase II reopening. Received a “looking forward to the flight” that included some “what to expect details” email 3 days prior to our flight. On the evening before our flight I log in to check in and get a pop-up to call customer service, or check in at the airport. Thank God, I had time to sit on hold for an hour, because that’s when I learned no Alaska flights were going into PAE. The CSR advised me numerous times we should have gotten an email. No matter how many times I said we had not, and in fact had gotten a confirmation instead. For the record, had we waiting to check in at the airport, we wouldn’t have gotten the 1 comparable flight that day. We rebooked BUR-SEA. As we walked on, they announced the back lav sink is broken, the WiFi is broken and the stewardess did a grumpy-dad-glovebox number on two of the overhead cabinets. So, now we’re sitting at the gate, an hour past take off time, waiting for a mechanic check on something else we didn’t even see or hear about. It’s not like they own the PNW market anymore ... sure feels like they want to lose even the most loyal customers.
AircraftE175
RouteSeattle to Burbank
Date FlownAugust 2020

"What a waste of a day"

Trip Verified | I asked if I could get an earlier flight a day ahead of time. They said I had to come in to the airport on the day of the flight and they would try to put me on an earlier flight. Now I am at the airport from 8 am to 4 pm on my regular flight. What a waste of a day. I wish I never would have asked.
RouteAnchorage to Seattle via Sacramento