Alaska Airlines

"profits over customer safety"

Trip Verified | Most of us appreciate the fact that during this pandemic we live with uncertainty and risk. I accept this, but take reasonable precautions to stay safe. With this in mind I choose Alaska for a recent flight from Portland to Orange County. My risk analysis was heavily influenced by the airline’s stated policy that passengers would be seated with an open seat next them, thereby significantly reducing the density of people, and creating more space between passengers. Separate seats were booked for myself and three other family members. We were all a bit nervous about the prospect of being in a confined space with strangers during Covid times, but took solace in the promise that the airline had a safety policy of spacing people and reducing overall passenger density. I calculated that my family’s “bubble” would be a space of four rows (the plane has two seats per row). We’d each have the option of sitting adjacent to the window, with an empty seat between us and the aisle. Imagine my disappointment when the boarding agent scanned my ticket and informed me that our seats were changed. Alaska had unilaterally decided that we were a group that must be packed in side by side. This was the case for many other travelers on this plane. Mandatory reseating. End result: a very full plane, zero personal space for those sitting in the aisle, more people impacting the restroom, more people in line, more hands on the fixtures, more risk for my family. And one more thing: more profit for Alaska Airlines. My decision to take this flight was a calculated risk. I weighed the facts based on what I thought was an honest agreement between me and the airlines regarding personal space and overall airplane density. I feel duped. When boarding, I told the agent we do not want to be reseated in a tighter cluster. The response: “sorry sir, we need to make room for more people”. Thank you Alaska for reorienting me on your company’s policy: profits over customer safety. I appreciate that airlines are struggling more than most businesses to financially survive the COVID crisis. But I do not appreciate being mislead. Airlines have a responsibility for their customer’s safety, and a moral responsibility to honest and transparent when communicating their policies. Alaska Airlines has lost my trust.
RoutePortland to Santa Ana
Date FlownJuly 2020

"been at the airport all day"

Trip Verified | For a long time i enjoyed flying on Alaska, as a military member they always came through for me and got to the point that is all i fly. However on this current trip, I am wondering how in the heck they are still in operation. To start my flight from sac to sea was changed then my returning flight was changed to the time i specifically told the agent on the phone would not work, after a 24+ hold, (they did call back) i was able to get it changed. Come the day of travel my flights both from my original starting point and my layover kept getting moved back! Alaska figure it out, total flight time is under 2 hours yet, I have been at the airport all day.
RouteSacramento to Portland via Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Wouldn’t want to book with Alaska again"

Trip Verified | July 1st, I got to the airport an hour and a half before my flight. Couldn’t Check-in at the kiosk because my reservation wasn’t found, it said to talk to an agent. No agent was available until an hour later. Calling customer service was a 2-3 hours wait, texting is 40 minutes wait and the agent wasn’t very helpful. My flight was completely cancelled, as in it doesn’t exist anymore and they couldn’t find any flight for me until July 3rd. I needed to be in Austin ASAP for a wedding, can’t wait 2 days later. The next best thing was to leave from San Francisco airport, 2 hours away, the next day. It was horrible, no notice of flight cancellation, no compensation for all the trouble. Reading the reviews, this seems a regular occurrence. Wouldn’t want to book with Alaska again.
RouteSacramento to Austin via Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2020

"do not care about your time"

Trip Verified | I originally booked a flight from Sacramento to Austin with a connecting flight Seattle weeks ago. A couple days before my flight they had changed my departure time for Sacramento to after 12 pm to 8:05 am. This is a huge inconvenience because I have to drive 2 and a half hours to the airport. After calling them to try to work something out they said there was absolutely nothing they could do to help me. No later times available. No hotel room for the night before. I had to wait over an hour and a half to talk to them and was on the phone for over 2 hours with them (90% of the time on hold). I'm very patient, I understand things happen. This on the other hand is completely ridiculous. Not professional. My 9 hour trip is stretched 4 more hours. They obviously do not care about your time. Just their own profit. This is not how you treat customers or for that matter a human being. Never have ive seen so little care in a company. They should be ashamed to call them self an airline.
RouteSacramento to Seattle via Austin
Date FlownJune 2020

"canceled the flight 5 days ago"

Trip Verified | I had a ticket booked with Alaska for a few weeks. I checked on the way to the airport with Alaska and my flight was on time. Get to airport and am unable to check in. No one is around and the kiosk keeps letting me get through the entire process but won't print my tickets and prompts me to check in with the desk. Again, no one at the desk. I call and they tell me they canceled the flight 5 days ago. No one emailed me or called me or update their info online. I had to book a ticket with another airline while standing in the airport. I paid 900 dollars for a 400 flight because is was same day. Thanks so much. You wowed me.
RouteOrlando to Boise via Seattle

"It was a good flight"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Columbus. It was a good flight. The flight attendants were not the nicest. They were just demanding, not being kind. The seats were really nice. It was the refurbished A320 so it was especially nice. Legroom was amazing. Overall, I would rate it a 87/100.
RouteSeattle to Columbus
Date FlownJune 2020

"Definitely never flying Alaska again"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Anchorage via Seattle. I booked a flight and purchased first class upgrade when I checked out. A week before I travel, I get called and told I’m on a different flight, but that my seat is still in first class. Apparently, I was bumped to “premium class” without knowing it. When I approach the counter they say “sorry” we have no record of you purchasing a first class seat. Then they promised me a beer on the plane - I don’t drink. I call customer service and they tell me I’m definitely in first class and “not to worry”, that it was a computer snafu. But on the plane they jam me into the back. Definitely never flying Alaska again.
RouteOrlando to Anchorage via Seattle

"No customer service"

Not Verified | Alaska airlines is a joke. No customer service and they tell you that you are screwed. They take your money and refuse to give it back. We purchased tickets for an event and due to Covid was canceled. They gave us a credit even though we bought the insurance to cancel. Told us that’s all they would do and that it was illegal for me to sell my credit because I would never want to fly their airline.
RoutePhoenix to Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2019

"legroom and seat comfort was great"

Trip Verified | The aircraft was a bit small but the legroom and seat comfort was great for a domestic flight. Although there wasn’t an on-air meal, the crew checked up regularly if we needed anything like water of snacks. There is 1-hour of free WiFi (if you have T-mobile) as well as unlimited texting data. There was also movies and podcasts on the on-flight entertainment. The only downside is the ground staff as they were rude and slow.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Seattle

"keeping my money"

Not Verified | Do not book with this greedy, cold-hearted airline. I found myself like so many having to cancel all travel plans due to COVID-19. My Alaska Airlines flight was to be an internal flight from Orange County to San Francisco in May 2020 . My main flight from Australia to USA was with Singapore Airlines. After making contact with Singapore Airlines and all my accommodation providers throughout the USA, I received a refund from everyone. Alaska Airlines is the only company who are keeping my money. I have tried several times to request a refund (I was happy even to pay a cancellation fee) however each time I am met with a strong NO. Shame on you Alaska Airlines!
RouteOrange County to San Francisco