Alaska Airlines

"I would absolutely never ever fly with this airline again"

Trip Verified | What a terrible experience. Truly an awful airline. Every possible delay that could happen, happened. Here is the sequence of events: 1) Flight got delayed by an hour (fine whatever this happens) 2) Initial plane has mechanical issues forcing us to have to be bused 10 minutes away to another aircraft (fine, I understand sometimes it’s just a bad day) 3) We have to stand on the bus for 30 minutes in the Cali heat because the plane we were switched to was actively being worked on when the bus we were in arrived (this is where I start getting peeved) 4) We get on the plane and are notified one of the bathrooms is out of order 5) Fine flight, a little bumpy, whatever. 6) We land in Salt Lake, I think the ordeal is over, here’s where it got so much worse. 7) They inform us they do not have a gate for us to approach to get off the plane and that we are in “limbo”. They say it will be another 20-40 minutes until we can get off the plane (I’m annoyed at this point but recognize it’s almost over I’ll be home soon) 8) This process repeats multiple times. We are told every 20-40 minutes that it will be another “20-40 minutes” and this goes on for approximately 2 hours. During this time, as a consultation they offer us an 8oz middle school milk carton of water? 9) Finally we get a gate, we pull up, everyone starts standing up getting their bags out of overhead and we all start to notice it’s taking a while to open the door (about 15 minutes at this point) and then the announcement comes on that there is “an issue of a large gap between the plane and the hallway thing that connects to the plane” and at this point the plane is turned off, meaning the AC is turned off and we’re forced to sit there for another 25 minutes before finally getting off the plane. I would absolutely never ever fly with this airline again. I would choose any option besides this. Spirit, Frontier, man I’d rather drives just an absolute “flightmare”.
RouteLos Angeles to Salt Lake City
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"the flight attendants were excessively rude"

Not Verified | I bought round trip tickets with Alaska Airlines. On the way to Honolulu everything was fine, but on the way back the flight attendants were excessively rude. I noticed that the airline itself allows their flight attendants to behave with the passengers as they wish and do whatever they want with the passengers - be rude and then they were given the right to throw passengers off the flight for no legitimate reason. I’ve read after that Alaska Airlines is short on flight attendant and even pilots and that is why they turn a blind eye to their behavior. Do not demand anything or you will kick out from the flight just because you dare to ask something.
RouteSan Francisco to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"employee Dereje was extremely helpful"

Not Verified | Alaska Airlines Disabled Persons Services employee Dereje was extremely helpful in helping me and my family negotiate the Seattle Airport, transporting me safely and effectively from the Arrival Gate to the Taxi Dock. He is personable and empathic.
RouteLos Angeles to Seattle
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"they outright canceled my flight"

Not Verified | They are canceling flights more than most other airlines right now. They rescheduled mine, from a non stop to a 1 stop, with a lay over so short we wouldn't have been able to make the connection even if they were run perfectly on time (which they never are). So we ended up canceling that flight all together. Gave them another shot, and they outright canceled my flight less than 12 hours before take off, at 9pm. Thankfully I was still up, otherwise I would've been screwed in the morning. Now I have to pay double for a last second flight. I'm done with them. Save yourself the hassle and never book with them.
RouteSpokane to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"I am never going to fly Alaska again"

Trip Verified | I travel for work almost every week. I do make sure I check in at least 20 hrs before my boarding time. In my 6 years of traveling every week, I have never had my seat number changed last minute without my permission. I had seat 12A (a window seat) changed to 32b (the last seat in the center by the toilet). So apparently they gave my seat to some family who wanted to be side by side even thought it was allotted to me. When spoke to the person at the desk, he was extremely rude and told me straight of that my seat was give to them because they wanted to sit together. I am never going to fly Alaska again. Do not recommend it.
RouteHouston to Seattle
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"not enough space for carry on bags"

Trip Verified | Expensive. Delayed for 50 mins, and not enough space for carry on bags, so I had to check my bag. Waste more than 1hr 30mins in total. Very bad experience. Won’t choose Alaska Airlines for Seattle anymore.
RouteSan Jose to Seattle

"All around disappointment"

Not Verified | The plane was old and dirty, the premium economy seat that I paid for was just as tiny as all of the other seats, and the staff didn’t say a word to anyone that boarded the plane. All around disappointment.
RouteSeattle to Cincinnati

"Excellent and professional"

Trip Verified | Excellent and professional. We had our children flown to Illinois to visit their sister. They were unaccompanied minor’s. Even though they are 13 and 14 and did not need assistance, we felt better having someone keep an eye on them. From customer service to the ticket agent to the flight attendants, I could not be more pleased. They boarded the plane first with the flight crew and departed the plane last with the flight crew. We were allowed to escort them to their gate and sit with them until they boarded the plane and were in the air. They checked their aunts ID upon arrival and ours when they returned. I felt they were safe and as a parent, I needed to know they were safe. The kids had a blast and the flight attendants said they were well behaved and polite. We even googled their flight number and knew exactly where they were at all times. One if the kids was texting us from 35,000 feet. They had a snack on board and watched movies during their flight. Awesome job Alaskan. We will use this airline again. Thank you for making this parent feel their children were in the best of hands and thank you for looking out for my kids.
RouteSan Francisco to Chicago

"a frustrating experience"

Trip Verified | I had a frustrating experience with Alaska. I got a round trip from San Jose to San Diego with my family and among the free items you can check-in are strollers and car seats. On the first flight we were able to check-in for free our son's car seat and wagon-stroller for free. We even called ahead days in advance to ensure we could take our wagon-stroller with us for free. However on the return flight we had to pay to document and check-in the wagon-stroller. The handling of situation was terrible from Alaska. They argued that wagons are not strollers but failed to show any Alaska documentation of their definition of a strollers as ours has seat belts for the kids and can fold to fit the size of large stroller but has a wagon shape. The personnel argued that double strollers were fine but ours was not (even though our could be smaller). We showed them the model on the internet (which states it is a stroller wagon) and even when you search on google for strollers images of this type show on top along the traditional strollers. They argued that allowing us to check-in our "wagon" for free during our first flight was a mistake. To make matters even worse, the personnel argued that we use the stroller to carry our stuff which is besides the point as you can do that why any stroller. This suggested to me that Alaska didn't care whether this was a stroller or not and made it harder to actually get an understanding of the rules rooted on Alaska's policies, which Alaska was not able to provide. Along this lines (about not really being helpful) and taking their attitude to a different level, one of the personnel we were having the conversation in order to try to "solve" the problem threatened us by saying "do you want to fly today?". Not sure what this person was thinking but that only make this experience worse. In the end a more cool headed personnel came in, acknowledged our frustrations and provided a number we can use to complain. This frustrating and unpleasant experience was a result of the poorly documented, inconsistent policies and communication channels at Alaska, and exacerbated by the even worse customer service from Alaska employees at the San Diego airport. I will avoid using Alaska in the future as it is not worth the stress.
RouteSan Diego to San Jose

"Horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. Showed up to the airport and was told I could not check-in because they have a cutoff time. They charged me $25 to move me to another flight. After getting through security, I arrived at my gate before the original flight. Despite the flight not being full, they told me they could not allow me to board because as soon as they check for empty seats, they have to close the gate. So I’m on a later flight, missing a doctor appointment and a business meeting. Sitting at my gate and watching my original flight take off. Never again will I book with Alaska Airlines.
AircraftEmbraer 175