Alaska Airlines

"The service was mediocre"

Trip Verified | We were delayed by about two hours, so instead of following the normal procedures everyone was shuffled on board at once, besides the disabled and gold mileage members. The seats were very thin and hard, although the recline angle was comfortable and the adjustable headrest was soft. Very little storage space in the seat back pocket, ended up putting my things on the empty seat besides me. There was also no coat hook, which is common on European airlines. The service was mediocre, there was only trail mix and your average drink options, although the attendant was kind enough to pour hot water into my own cup of noodles. There was no second service, however passengers were free to pick up drinks and snacks at the back. The wifi was slower than Delta, and the texting plan only worked half the time. There was no seat back screens, and entertainment was meant to be streamed from your own device. We paid 72 for the saver tariff, as well as 30 dollars per bag. The tickets were even cheaper than Spirit Airlines, which makes it definitely worth the value.
RouteFt. Lauderdale to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2020

"we will be back"

Trip Verified | Our flight attendants truly made an exceptional trip for us! We had to cut our honeymoon short due to complications with flights. They were able to help make it a fun and memorable night, getting us safely home. This was our first time flying with Alaska and we will be back.
RouteSeattle to Kansas City
Date FlownOctober 2020

"To say I was impressed would be a huge understatement"

Not Verified | I flew out to RDU and back in First with Alaska. The flight down to SEA was a typical redeye departing around 1:30 am. The flight was fine overall a bit bumpy but that happens. A three hour layover at the Alaska lounge made it very enjoyable, grabbed some coffee and snacks. At the gate, I enjoyed talking with a young Coastguardsman and a couple from Sterling AK. Being the chatboy that I am, I did not notice that I left my carry-on bag at the seat. I did though when I got onboard and informed the attendant. She told me I could not deplane but would send someone to get it for me. Of all people, the pilot got off the plane and found it for me. I could not believe it actually. To say I was impressed would be a huge understatement. The two attendants were fantastic individuals who certainly put customer service first. Their attitudes were exceptional. I thanked them both for their care and consideration upon my departing the aircraft in Raleigh and told them to please thank the Pilot for me. This may have been the best Alaska flight I have ever taken!
AircraftBoeing 737-800/900
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteAnchorage to Raleigh–Durham via Seattle
Date FlownOctober 2020

"Alaska ignores enforcement of their facemask policy onboard"

Not Verified | Alaska ignores enforcement of their facemask policy onboard by allowing fliers to wear mouth covering only or not at all in this case for more than 60 minutes. Their policy allows removing briefly while eating or drinking and 60 mins is not briefly. Further the limited capacity, blocked middle or on smaller aircraft aisle advertising is a crock. They announce when you are close to boarding that some will have strangers seated next to you and if you don't like it they will rebook you, great...no other flights today. All this speak about concerned for our safety is just fake news. Who knows what other safety shortcuts are taken. Bye bye Alaska for American and Delta.
RouteSan Diego to Spokane
Date FlownOctober 2020

"the middle seats were not empty"

Trip Verified | Went on a trip to San Diego with my sisters. Bought the same flights as them, only to have my return flight changed from 9:30am to 6:15am. On our flight down to San Diego, the middle seats were not empty. I was in row with two strangers. And one of my sisters was in a row with two strangers. The flight attendants came on the speaker to say “This flight is overbooked. You may be sitting 3 to a row with people not in your family. If this makes you uncomfortable we will put you on the next flight out”. Given this, I called Alaska to ask that I be put back on the 9:30 flight, since they are booking out the middle seats, I could easily sit in one row with two of my sisters. To prevent others from sitting next to strangers. They wouldn’t do that. They would rather have my sisters sit on a flight three to a row, next to strangers, than next to their own sister, who paid to be on that Flight in the first place. I then asked to be changed to the 7:30 am flight so I wouldn’t have to fly out so early. They told me I would have to pay $50 to do that. But there are no change fees on Alaska Airlines, and this 7:30 flight was going for the SAME price I paid for my original ticket (keep in mind I paid in part for the ticket using miles so I couldn’t just cancel and rebook). They said that regardless, I would have to pay the $50 same day change fee.
RouteSan Diego to Seattle
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"lose even the most loyal customers"

Trip Verified | Alaska Airlines has been going downhill over the last 5 years or so, but it is actually unbearable on this trip. First, I booked a flight LAX-PAE because I really wanted to fly into Paine Field; I figured it would be nice to come into a smaller airport while Washington State was in the beginning of Phase II reopening. Received a “looking forward to the flight” that included some “what to expect details” email 3 days prior to our flight. On the evening before our flight I log in to check in and get a pop-up to call customer service, or check in at the airport. Thank God, I had time to sit on hold for an hour, because that’s when I learned no Alaska flights were going into PAE. The CSR advised me numerous times we should have gotten an email. No matter how many times I said we had not, and in fact had gotten a confirmation instead. For the record, had we waiting to check in at the airport, we wouldn’t have gotten the 1 comparable flight that day. We rebooked BUR-SEA. As we walked on, they announced the back lav sink is broken, the WiFi is broken and the stewardess did a grumpy-dad-glovebox number on two of the overhead cabinets. So, now we’re sitting at the gate, an hour past take off time, waiting for a mechanic check on something else we didn’t even see or hear about. It’s not like they own the PNW market anymore ... sure feels like they want to lose even the most loyal customers.
AircraftE175
RouteSeattle to Burbank

"What a waste of a day"

Trip Verified | I asked if I could get an earlier flight a day ahead of time. They said I had to come in to the airport on the day of the flight and they would try to put me on an earlier flight. Now I am at the airport from 8 am to 4 pm on my regular flight. What a waste of a day. I wish I never would have asked.
RouteAnchorage to Seattle via Sacramento

"kindness and professionalism"

Not Verified | I regret I didn't get any names, but all of the ladies working at the Alaskan airlines terminal in Kalispell Montana on August 11th and 12 th were amazing!! I was extremely disappointed that I wasn't able to go home as planned on the 11th due to aircraft troubles, but everybody was so accommodating and set me up with a room for the night, and meal vouchers for the next day. The ladies recognized me immediately when I came in the following morning and even asked me how my stay was. I was very impressed by the kindness and professionalism that everyone displayed.
RouteKalispell to Kahului
Date FlownAugust 2020

"asked to be refunded the difference in fare"

Trip Verified | The flight experience itself was fine. However the customer service from their reservations/customer care departments was worthless. My flight was cancelled and consolidated to a different itinerary. When I had booked my flight I had considered the other itinerary, but chose a more expensive one because it was more convenient for my schedule. When my flight was rescheduled I asked to be refunded the difference in fare. It was only $31 difference per passenger, but it was still cheaper. They refused to refund me the difference in fare. If I had known I was going to have to fly the cheaper itinerary I would have booked that in the first place and saved myself the money. This may seem petty, arguing over $31, but it is the principle that matters, plus I had 7 travelers in my party, so it added up, when multiplied by all the members of my family. You would think Alaska would want to satisfy their customers, rather than infuriate them over $31. Next time I take a family trip I will take my $3,000 to another airline I can trust to make things right with their customers.
RouteSalt Lake City to Anchorage via Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Alaska was so accommodating"

Trip Verified | Had a credit from a canceled flight in June 2020 when the pandemic was in full force. We were worried that we would lose our $ and miles but Alaska was so accommodating and put the cash in our “wallet” and refunded the miles. Just flew down from SF to SD and even though it was a very few number of passengers, the airport and in flight team went above and beyond making us feel safe, explained all rules and regulations clearly and were pleasant and positive! I’ve always chosen Alaska and will continue to do so in the future. Please let the crew on my flight know they are doing amazing jobs considering the current circumstances.
RouteSan Francisco to San Diego