Alaska Airlines

"I asked to speak to a manager and was denied"

Not Verified | I was planning a trip with my wife and 2 daughters. I thought we had the perfect trip planned until there was a flight change. Instead of departing at 7.50 am, I received notification that it would be changed to 7 am. This caused an overlap in our scheduled and changed out the whole trip. I spoke to the Supervisor out of the call center in Boise, and she stated that the policy was that since it was only a 50-minute difference and not a 60-minute change per policy, they could not refund the amount. They should be able to make exceptions when it's it's close to their refund requirements. I asked to speak to a manager and was denied. I'm more than disappointed in Alaska Airlines, and I would not recommend them for travel.
Date FlownJuly 2021

"some of the poorest customer service"

Not Verified | Family members flew from Seattle to Helena on 7/16/2021 for a weekend with family. Their return flight was to leave Helena on 7/18/2021 at 2:55 pm. My family members arrived on time, checked in, printed boarding passes and passed through security. After waiting past scheduled boarding time, they were told by Alaska Airlines employees, there would be a delay and the flight would not leave until 4:15 pm. After that time came and went, they were told the flight was cancelled. Alaska Airlines offered no assistance in booking another flight and ultimately told them their flight was rescheduled to 7/20/2021, two days later. This puts the working person in a very awkward position; missing work, losing pay and the cost of a local motel room, just to mention a few. My family members were able to find another flight with another airline, completely without the help of Alaska Airlines. They were also told there would be no refund. I would gladly have my flight information verified but since I did not pay for the flight I do not have such information but trust me, Alaska Airlines has some of the poorest customer service I have ever seen and display a total lack of regard for their customers. I would not recommend flying Alaska Airlines if it can be avoided.
RouteHelena to Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Everything seemed to be everyone else's department"

Not Verified | Alaska cancelled our connecting flight without notice. Added hours to our layover with a 10 month old. Staff were at best completely useless, at worst insulting with their placations. Alaska must have a lot of people with an unofficial title of "Professional Useless Person" given the enormous number of Alaska staff walking around. Everything seemed to be everyone else's department. It's amazing how many employees you need to tell someone to call customer service. This used to be a great airline. Now it is my last choice.
RouteMedford to Seattle via San Diego
Date FlownJuly 2021

"refused to reimburse for the full amount"

Trip Verified | Flying back from San Francisco to Los Angeles on a Saturday after a one day work trip, I received an email when I awoke offering me a $250 voucher to change my flight to another day -- I was supposed to fly out at 1030pm after a day of work to get home to see my family and we had plans the following morning. So I naturally ignored the email. Cut to 6pm, when I am informed the 1030pm flight has been canceled and I am flying out the next day at 530pm. After getting on with reservations to change my flight out to 930am the following morning and maybe salvage some of my plans (I couldn't ultimately), I didn't receive a confirmation email about my itinerary. I called back a few hours later and requested it again. Still did not receive an email. Had to call a third time -- it's 1130pm by this point -- and demand an email to be sent while I sat on the phone. However, all that was sent was a receipt, but I was assured I was on the flight. Cut to 8am Sunday, the following morning at SFO and I can't check in at a kiosk. After an hour of standing in line at the zoo in front of the Alaska Air check in stations, I get my boarding passes and am told to call Customer Care (closed till Monday) about being reimbursed for everything I spent while having to stay the extra night in San Francisco. This is important -- I asked how to deal with reimbursement. They told me just to call customer care with no instruction -- all operators, all people I talked to in Alaska air outfits at the airport. So I call customer care. They honor the vouchers they suspiciously sent me earlier in the day on Saturday -- though the operator gets super defensive when I ask why the flight was canceled, she said crew issues, and I ask if they knew that was going to happen with the voucher email -- but demand ALL reimbursements have ITEMIZED receipts. NO ONE told me to do this -- I had receipts for everything but not all of them were itemized. Finally the operator admitted to me that Alaska had limited staff, tons of layoffs, tons of people retiring, etc and it becomes a domino effect down to the customers. However, they still refused to reimburse for the full amount. Despite them canceling the flight. Despite giving zero instruction about how to properly get reimbursed. Despite wasting hours of my time just to get myself home. Dont fly with them until they get their house is in order (that will probably be a while). And if you do, there's a good chance your flight will be canceled -- I'd actually flown with them a month before and they did the same thing, only booked my family on a flight just a few hours later, so it was not a big deal. And if they do cancel your flight, itemize your receipts and stay in the most expensive hotel you can possibly find a room in.
RouteSan Francisco to Los Angeles
Date FlownJuly 2021

"were absolutely unwilling to help us"

Trip Verified | First leg of the trip we paid hundreds of dollars to choose our seats and make sure our family was together since we have two kids. Well, they "couldn't find" our seats even though I had a very detailed receipt in my email, when I showed them the email they were like "ooohhh not sure why that didn't come up in our system. Well, we already gave those seats away so we will have to split up your family." To make matters even more laughable, even though I paid hundreds to have specific seats, 3 of us were seated in the very back row against the bathroom. We had a 45 minute layover, I let them know that before boarding and I was told that "45 minutes was plenty of time", it wasn't. The flight released us late because no one was at the gate to get us off so we sat on the tarmac for about a half hour making us late for our next flight. But that didn't matter because our next flight was delayed 3.5 hours due to mechanical malfunction. I begged to be put on a flight to another airport in the DC area (there were two leaving shortly, one to BWI and one to Dulles), they had enough seats for my family but the employees I spoke to complained that the paperwork would "take 5 minutes" and were absolutely unwilling to help us. I guess they already had our money so didn't care if we were happy or not. Both planes were old and beat up, totally uncomfortable. I fly quite often and have never had so many problems. Never again, Alaska Airlines.
RouteKahului to Seattle via Reagan

"flight got delayed 2h+"

Trip Verified | These people are utterly incompetent. The flight got delayed 2h+ by incremental delays of 30 minutes. The company doesn't know how to plan, estimate or manage itself.
RouteSan Francisco to Los Angeles

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Horrible customer service. Tried to get on an earlier flight since they said there was a “ton of empty seats”. We were told to call reservations to switch, they told us since we bought “the cheap seats” they weren’t going to do anything. I asked if if I could speak to a supervisor, after 10 mins she came on and said that they won’t do anything if you buy the “cheapest seats”. If this is how you treat people, just because we bought the “cheap” seats, I don’t want to do business with you!! We purchased the WiFi in flight on way to Juneau and it didn’t work at all. So we wasted $10. Very frustrating and annoying when they have such long layovers!!
RouteJuneau to Spokane via Sitka and Seattle

"An excellent experience"

Trip Verified | An excellent experience. Unlike other carriers Alaska is back to full service with a smile. Excellent light lunch (can be pre ordered) plus snacks offered. Great service.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSeattle to Santa Ana
Date FlownJuly 2021

"She was the best of the best!"

Not Verified | I flew with Heyka as our first class flight attendant! She was out of this world next level amazing! She made you feel so comfortable and taken care of. We never wanted or needed for anything! She was the best of the best! Flight 196, July 3rd.
Date FlownJuly 2021

"told I needed to go get another test"

Trip Verified | When I booked my trip to Hawaii I went to Alaska Airlines and I read through the Alaska Airlines travel guidelines. I was told that I would need to provide a printed out lab result showing a negative COVID, so three days prior and that’s what I did. There was no mention when they took my money for the ticket or even when I took my flight to LA that there was specific trusted locations that Hawaii would only accept. It is only mentioned if you go to a specific link within the site. I was told I could go to Hawaii but I’d be sent home at my own expense or id be forced to quarantine and pay for a hotel for ten days. The manager refused to talk to me when I asked why the information wasn’t more clear on Alaskans website. She said “ there is nothing to discuss and with you.” She turned and mocked me to her employee in front of a group full of people and refused to give me any information on who above her I could speak with. She also said “it’s on me to do my diligence and it rarely happens to other people” even though the website gives you only half the information and is vague I believe on purpose. I was then told I needed to go get another test. The testing site is conveniently right outside the airport and $125.00 on top of that I will need transportation and to stay in a near by hotel without my things and has to rebook my flight for tomorrow. I’ve been told by someone who works for the company that these testing centers are giving 50% or the proceeds back to the airlines and I can only speculate near by hotels and transportation places are also giving a nice kick back or are at least benefiting from the dishonesty. Alaska Airlines during a time when people are struggling and situations are new I’m appalled with the way you’re manager spoke to me and the lack of compassion your employees have for people. You should really consider how you treat people and not just how you can put more money in your pocket and benefit from a pandemic where people are suffering. May I mention there are nearly 100 people in line right along with me so obviously I am not the only one.
RouteSalt Lake to Honolulu via Los Angeles