Air Canada rouge

"waiting on a stationary plane"

Not Verified | Toronto to Bogota. Do you like waiting on a stationary plane for hours and hours? Are you allergic to water, food, and other simple luxuries? Do you hate getting to a hotel that you've already paid for the day after you were supposed to? If you answered yes to these questions, then boy, do I have an airline for you!
RouteToronto to Bogota
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"crew are not helpful at all"

Trip Verified | Toronto to West Palm Beach. I have flown AC for a few weeks now and noticed they have no on-time arrival statistics because they are continually late. There are tremendous inefficiencies at the gate and on boarding crew, they are not helpful at all. They smile and speak two languages but that does not assist passengers trying to figure out where to put their luggage when there is no room left. Their website is difficult to navigate and the link to Aeroplan is less than stellar. They also are not very accommodating making sure folks stay hydrated in the air. Trying to call or electronically communicate forget it, no answer. Unfortunately, the price of the tickets is no different than any other airline. It does show when there are no regulations and big corporations like Air Canada can do what they want and treat their customers any way they choose. Sometimes a little regulation goes a long way. There are no watchdogs on this airline!
RouteToronto to West Palm Beach
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"attendants were rude to me"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Belize, delayed by 48 minutes. The flight attendants were rude to me. We were told to get our own alcoholic beverages from the back of the plane when asking for a refill. On our second flight there was no beer on a 5hour flight. Our 4 flights with Air Canada during our vacation was delayed or rescheduled. The airline overbooks flights and then asks people to wait until the next day to fly out.
RouteToronto to Belize
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"subpar in their customer service"

Trip Verified | Almost all the AC staff were subpar in their customer service treatment. I remember asking for a tissue on the way back as I was quite sick and the air hostess said she would help after serving the food. So I waited and nothing. I didn't bother reminding her again. I used the restroom. Later on during the flight I had a question and pressed the button and nothing. I understand staff get busy and that's no problem. However, I pressed that button over 5 times throughout the flight and not a single host came to address my inquiry. From the moment we tried to board until the very end, there wasn't a single rep I could give a shout out to. The attitude was aggressive and arrogant. A little mindfulness goes a long way and the staff in my opinion need to significantly up their game. The job isn't merely to serve food on the plane but to make sure all travellers are respected and responded to with basic kindness. Of course this is just my one such experience; there may have been others out there who've had a pleasant experience with this airline.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteLima to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2019

"attendants are snappy and rude"

Not Verified | Toronto to Orlando. We had a bad experience on our previous AC flight back in April 2019. We paid extra to have bulkhead seats on our flight to Orlando. Gate agent came up to us after we were seated and demanded that I vacate the seat I paid for to allow a teen with a broken leg to sit on the bulkhead aisle. Didn't even ask. He said one of us had to move. Rude and condescending was what I got for refusing to do so, and a warning that I could be removed from the flight with MY attitude. Fast forward Jan 2020, and again I find myself on an AC Rouge flight. The attendants are snappy and rude when I ask for water before the aircraft begins to taxi. Rude is what I got when an attendant took my back pack out of the overhead bin to allow a late arrival's small suitcase to be put in its place. Now I have to sit with my back pack at fit, on a tiny seat, with tiny leg room, because the late women's suitcase is bigger. Never again wil I fly Air Canada. I will happily pay extra to fly a better airline, or fly out of Buffalo. BTW, I'm still waiting for my water.
RouteToronto to Orlando

"unethical, irresponsible"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Honolulu. I was threatened of cancellation 3 times and had to re-purchase my ticket each time thanks to some flawed algorithm the airline uses. I received emails stating that it was potentially a fraudulent purchase, and I needed to come to the airline in person to show ID, otherwise, I would be cancelled within 48 hours prior to travel. I was not refunded any money either, just informed of this. Because I was traveling with a young child and a party of 4 others, I had no choice (otherwise I'd have bought another ticket with a different airline). I drove 2 hours out of my way in order to do this, and when I got to the airport the Air Canada representative told me I had to repurchase the tickets. I told him I was not refunded, and he insisted that "the money was on its way." This was 3 weeks ago, so essentially I paid double for my tickets and had to drive way out of my way in inclement weather to do so. This is the worst airline ever - unethical, irresponsible, and fraudulent.
RouteToronto to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Entertainment on your own device"

Not Verified | Lima to Toronto. Not sure why we deserved a budget airline service when travelling on such a long cross-continent flight. We had a snack and a meal included. The planes are dated, no way to set your own temperature. Tiny overhead cabin storage and small seat pitch. Entertainment was on your own device, which was not clear when booking or checking-in. The ground service was horrendous. At check-in where we were quizzed on our trip to Peru (despite leaving and heading to Canada) with questions designed to trip us up and stickers placed on the passports with sellotape and we were told to never remove them. We were submitted to random patdowns and bag searches at the departure gate, delaying the flight. Apparently this was at the request of Canadian security services (although we saw it set up at gates for US-bound flights too) but it was odd and when happening at 3am local time, quite disorientating.
RouteLima to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"better than I was expecting"

Not Verified | Toronto to Montego Bay. Morning flight, delayed by an hour. Premium Rouge class, seat 1A, was better than I was expecting. Decent leg room, breakfast consisting of fruit and oatmeal tasty, and cabin staff friendly and attentive. Compared to my return leg via WestJet Premium, Rouge Premium was a close second. Would consider a second trip with them although I won’t recommend to others due to an over abundance of negative reviews - and I think I may have just got lucky. I’d need some further travel using Rouge.
RouteToronto to Montego Bay
Date FlownDecember 2019

"take only one carry-on luggage"

Trip Verified | Got my round trip flight to Tampa from Toronto through Hotwire. They offered me one free checked bag plus one carry-on for the trip. Air Canada did not honour the offer. I had to take only one carry-on luggage. In Toronto they checked in my carry–on luggage for free as the airplane was full. In return flight, they charged me $24 US for the same luggage while they were announcing the airplane was full and they did check in all carry-on luggage free of charge! We had 2:30 hours delay in Toronto to Tampa and 35 minutes delay in Tampa to Toronto.
RouteToronto to Tampa
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I think it’s time to up the ante"

Trip Verified | The whole process from start to finish was a nightmare. 1) First of all I thought I had Pre-booked my seats for this flight and wanted to confirm with Air Canada. I tried to call in to Air Canada and after 2 hours of waiting on hold I gave up. 2) 24 hours later I was able to book my seats and found I was sitting in a middle seat on the 27th row. I always want to sit close to the front and sit in an aisle. I was very upset and could not change it. 3) Getting to the airport they would not accept my pre registered booking as my husbands middle name was put backwards (first and last name was correct.) We tried to register on the machines but it would not issue a ticket for my husband. We had to wait over 1 hour in a line up to get our ticket. 4) From there we had to run through security and terminals to get there just in time to board. 5) We finally got onto a cramped Rouge plane filled with crying children all around us. So cramped you could hardly get through the passage. In truth I felt like a cattle of animals. There was barely room for your legs. Food and drinks were non existent until the last 40 min of the flight. This was truly one of the worst trips I have taken. WestJet in my opinion offers better service, leg rooom and comforts. I think it’s time to up the ante. I fly approx 12-14 times a year and this honestly was one of the worst flights I ever had.
RouteFlorida to Palm Beach via Toronto