Air Canada rouge

"long wait at check-in"

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Toronto. Awfully long wait at check-in although we were already checked in and printed our boarding pass. I recommend to go in the assistance required lineup which has double the counters. People who were behind us but did not already check in ended up well ahead of us checking in. I also would like to complain that on the overnight flight to Lisbon from Toronto the light above my seat could not be turned off (asked the flight attendant for help) and I could not sleep at all.
RouteLisbon to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2019

"lost my sleeping bag"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Panama City. A 5 hour flight in an aircraft designed for domestic flights. No room for the legs, no food (not even a cracker), 2 glasses of tap water, a crowded and warm plane and no entertainment system. They lost my sleeping bag and refuse to take the claim at the airport.
RouteToronto to Panama City
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Air Canada Rouge was pretty poor"

Trip Verified | I flew Air Canada Rouge (booked by our Travel Agent, we saw Air Canada and thought 'great' we didn’t realise that they were their budget fleet) for three flights in September 2019 from Manchester to Toronto and Calgary and then Vancouver back to Manchester. I was with my husband and his parents. All three flights were delayed leaving: First Flight: two and a quarter hours delay taking off because of a fuel light fault (this should have been sorted before we boarded and sat there all that time - preventable) Second Flight: an hour late leaving owing to a staff shortage for that flight (this should have been sorted out before we boarded - preventable) Third Flight: 15 minutes late leaving because of a late boarding passenger (not really Rouges fault). On our first flight, the delay in leaving almost caused us to miss our connection in Toronto. We managed to make it to our connecting plane Boarding Passes in hand, only to be told we had been removed (our seats undoubtedly re-sold). After much dithering, the staff managed to re assign us. However, our luggage didn’t make the flight as Rouge had decided to put it on a later flight (ours and lots of other peoples) but didn’t think to tell us, so we waited ages at the carousel the other end unnecessarily. Eventually and after much anxiety on our part it all arrived at our hotel in the middle of the night. My husband and I were in Premium Economy. The seats were extremely hard and uncomfortable. Seatbelts were short with not much room to slacken. The legroom was fine, but you couldn’t stretch out as there was a large mounting bracket beneath the seat in front. The overhead bins were minuscule. The iPads we were given to entertain us on the return flight wouldn’t connect properly, saying there was an error. We couldn’t be bothered to report it as we were so tired. It looked like everyone else’s was the same. The food was just ok and nothing special. Air stewards on all flights were friendly enough, but did seem disinterested. My in-laws were in Economy and experienced all of the above, except smaller seats and no in-flight entertainment. Unfortunately, their seats weren’t clean either, attached is a picture of the gap in my mother-in-laws footwell, it was absolutely filthy and there appeared to be months of old litter and food debris. Unfortunately, as a whole Air Canada Rouge was pretty poor and it’s highly unlikely that we will ever use them again, or recommend them to anyone.
RouteManchester to Calgary via Toronto

"truly deserve nothing"

Not Verified | Toronto to Edmonton. This is the worst airline I have ever flown, the staff were so very rude. They have you squashed in there like sardines, you cannot move, you are constantly bumping the seat in front of you, as is the person sitting behind you. The seats, if you could call them that was like sitting on concrete, you literally had to crawl over the armrest to get out of your seat as there is no leg room at all. I have never been so uncomfortable in my entire life. The staff were horrible and when coming around with the beverage cart, they kept skipping rows and not bothering to ask people if they wanted anything. No in-flight entertainment at all, not even a place to plug in your headphones to at the very least listen to music. This airline is a joke if you ever see Air Canada rouge come up, stay far away. I tried to opt-out of giving any star ratings at all because they truly deserve nothing, but it would not allow me to submit otherwise.
RouteToronto to Edmonton

"staff generally disinterested"

Not Verified | Manchester to Toronto. Not impressed with Air Canada rouge. Two-hour delay as problems with fuel. Booked seating going fine, returning didn’t book seats. My husband and I couldn’t sit together, although a number of people were by themselves and were sleeping using three seats. My husband asked if we could sit in empty seats which meant we could sit together and they refused. The staff on the plane were generally disinterested for the whole six-hour flight, food on the outgoing flight was not too bad, but return flight so, so.
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I was not impressed at all"

Trip Verified | Flight 1: I arrived early to Detroit - 3 hours early because international flight. They would not take my checked bag because I was too early. They stated that they only take check bags 1 hour prior to boarding time. This meant I was stuck sitting in the pre-security area of the airport for 2 hours. I had no access to food. Flight 2: Delayed leaving Toronto. Obtained updates via text that changed 10 times and had 3 gate changes in the airport. Flight 3: My assigned seat was given to someone else. I was told, oh there are empty seats. I found one myself. When we boarded it was raining - they closed the doors and then we were told we had to wait to take off. Waited for over 30 mins. Flight 4: No issues. Picked up bag only to find it must have sat on the tarmac in the rain at flight 3 time - everything in my bag was soaked when I got it. Flight 2 and 3 were on larger planes that appeared to be newer but no power plugs for phones or iPads. App for movie worked fine. I was not impressed at all. Will avoid flying with Air Canada rouge in the future!
RouteDetroit to Charlottetown
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I felt like a sardine!"

Not Verified | Toronto to Barcelona. These planes are way too tight for long haul flights. I felt like a sardine! A friend paid extra for her seat and was very uncomfortable. The "first class" seats are a joke for all the extra room they have. Our return trip from Rome was longer but seemed shorter in a regular Air Canada plane. The seats were comfortable with more leg room and monitors on the seat backs, no extra cost paid for seats.
RouteToronto to Barcelona

"Very rude staff"

Not Verified | Las Vegas to Toronto. Very rude staff. No snacks offered. Asked for water twice, half hour later no one brought it. When asked for the third time they started giving attitude like it's our fault. The plane was half full yet they lied saying it overfilled and people need to check in their carry on. Plane was delayed. The board information was not updated until the last second. Will never fly Air Canada again.
RouteLas Vegas to Toronto

"crew totally uninterested"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Toronto. First time flying with Air Canada rouge and the last. The aircraft smelled like a children's daycare center, probably not cleaned for some time. The crew seemed totally uninterested and displayed an "I wish I was not here attitude". The flight was fine, left early and arrived early but no comparison with an actual Air Canada flight.
RouteCalgary to Toronto

"80 min before moving"

(Antigua and Barbuda)

Trip Verified | Toronto to Kingston. 115 pm departure time, all people on board door close. Then they started loading luggage. Finished loading 155pm. Sat on the plane for longer than 80 min before moving. Why board if luggage not loaded or not scheduled to load?
RouteToronto to Kingston