Aer Lingus

"flight was enjoyable"

Trip Verified | Düsseldorf to Dublin. Boarding started on time and the plane started on time. The whole staff was friendly offered help and was in a good mood. The tea was good. Seats are modern and the legroom is above average. The whole flight was enjoyable.
RouteDüsseldorf to Dublin
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"there was very little leg room"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Tenerife. Selected two economy class seats for myself and my partner on Aer Lingus flight to Tenerife. We were dismayed to find there was very little leg room, much less than the other rows, and the seat backs could not be reclined. The seats were in Row 11 which was immediately in front of an emergency exit. However there was no indication on the online seat selection plan that there were any issues with these seats - the fact that they were shown as available to reserve at the same price as seats in adjacent rows surely implies they would be of the same standard. My partner was particularly upset as she suffers from arthritis and severe back pain - it would have been intolerable for her in these seats on a four hour flight. We asked a steward if we could move, and he said we could once the plane had reached safe altitude. However there was no apology. We did move then, to seats which were perfectly satisfactory, but we were lucky that there were such spare seats available! Aer Lingus appear to be selling sub-standard seats under false pretences. You might say that we should have checked first with Seatguru but it should be clear from the airline website. Also the flight attendant staff often appear to have little regard for their customers who they seem to view as an inconvenience and a restriction on their ability to continuously chat with one another.
RouteDublin to Tenerife
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the flight was very smooth"

Trip Verified | Easy flight with no complaints. Cabin crew were nice and the flight was very smooth. The flight felt a bit long and there was no in flight entertainment. A very average experience.
RouteRome to Dublin
Date FlownOctober 2018

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Shannon to Edinburgh with Aer Lingus. By far the worst flight experience to date. Our flight was delayed over 5 times with no information given to us. All they gave us were 5 dollar vouchers to buy a drink which obviously does not equal the amount of time wasted and stress that was caused because of the 6 and a half hour delay. The flight was quick but the ATR planes are extremely noisy and you could really feel how small the plane was inflight. Not a pleasant experience.
AircraftATR 72
RouteShannon to Edinburgh
Date FlownOctober 2018

"they were absolutely fantastic"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Los Angeles via Dublin with Aer Lingus. I took ill on the return flight from LA to Dublin. The air stewards had been most attentive and friendly all flight but when I became ill, they were absolutely fantastic. I cant praise them enough. Also the paramedics at Dublin airport.
RouteManchester to Los Angeles via Dublin
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I managed to get to the gate"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Toronto via Dublin. On my ticket the departure terminal was Terminal 2 and my flight arrived at T2. After a long wait in airport bus they took us to flight connections at T2 and there they told us our departing flight would be from T1. So I had to walk for 20 minutes to get to T1. There, on flight information boards the departure gate for my flight was 307E. Finally I could catch one of the airport personal and he told me that must be wrong on board and it has to be 307A since there was no 307E. Finally I managed to get to the gate as last passenger or so. I told the crew a bit of what happened and the only thing they said was :” oh”.
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto via Dublin
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"suggested we seek a refund online"

Trip Verified | I booked a Boston to London via Dublin flight for me and my wife on the Aer Lingus website. The fare I chose included 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on per person. When I reached the payment stage, instead of confirming that I had already purchased a checked bag because it was included in my fare, the website asked if I wanted to purchase a checked bag and warned that it would be more expensive to do so at the airport. So (unbeknownst to me) I purchased another checked bag. When I checked in for the flights online the day before the flight, the website again asked if I wished to pay to check any bags and warned that it would be more expensive to do so at the airport. Again the website did not reflect that I had actually already paid for 2 checked bags! This was misleading at best and fraudulent at worse. At the airport my wife and I checked in with two carry-on bags and one checked bag. The check in attendant indicated that we had paid to check 4 bags. The attendant refused to provide a refund and suggested we seek a refund online. I submitted a claim and received no response.
RouteBoston to London via Dublin
Date FlownDecember 2018

"refused to help me"

Trip Verified | Aer Lingus staff in the airport refused to help me in any way. I missed a connection booked by Aer Lingus due to delay of previous Alaska Airlines connecting flight. I was redirected by another airline through Chicago, London (with 8 hour unwanted layover) then Belfast. It took me 46 hours to complete the trip and my luggage took 80 hours to arrive. I submitted complaint form to Aer Lingus and as yet have had no response. I have made numerous attempts to contact them via Facebook page and once again have received no help. The journey cost me over £300 in additional expenses. No mention of compensation or acknowledgment of my complaint. I did not actually manage to even get on an Aer Lingus flight at all and can therefore not give them any rating for service.
RouteSeattle to Dublin via San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"seats denied on both flights"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Newark. Nightmare flights to and from Ireland this Christmas. Being disabled with and severe limited mobility, bulkhead seats that I booked and selected online were denied on both flights. For the outbound, I was told there was a aircraft change and so the seats were to bumped to middle of row in front of the bulkhead, with no recline. I made sure to call Aer Lingus twice during my stay to ensure we had the correct seating for the return journey. Both times we were guaranteed that our seats were correct and it also reflected “extra legroom” in the Aer Lingus App. On our return flight, I decided to check with the gate agent on our seating. He started off by stating that is illegal for someone like me to sit in those seats and said authorities may have to be called. I tried to correct him by say that these were bulkhead seats and not an exit row. He stated that disabled folks have no extra rights on a plane and that babies will always come first. I was stunned at this. Then comes the boarding and not once were people with mobility issues invited to preboard. So we were again seated in middle seating.
RouteDublin to Newark

"good value for money"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to London Heathrow via Dublin. Overall cost around 500 euro which I thought was good value for money. The flight from SFO to DUB boarded on-time and the check-in was straightforward, although the flight was delayed for 1 hr on the ground due to the poor weather. However, once we got airborne this lost time was made up. The seats were comfortable, but there is not a lot of space and if the passenger in front you reclines their seat it is not really possible for eat your meal as the tray-table will be too close to you. The in-flight announcements were very frequent and sometimes disturbing. They were also very loud compared to the in-flight entertainment and they were often startling and uncomfortable to listen to. This flight left at 5pm local time and arrived at 12pm in Dublin (so was overnight). Unfortunately the first meal was not served until 4 hours into the flight and so I was very hungry by then (it being 9pm departure time). Additionally, I would have expected more than one meal on a flight of 11-12 hours, as has been my experience on other airlines (British Airways, Lufthansa). The seatbelt sign was frequently left on for hours at a time for seemingly no reason, but it was not enforced by the cabin-crew, which left me confused as to its purpose. The flight from DUB-LHR was on time and the cabin-crew were polite and friendly.
AircraftA330-300 / A320