Aer Lingus

"trying to get upgrade fee returned"

Trip Verified | I was forced to cancel my trip to Dublin due to the coronavirus. The Aer Lingus system would not allow me to cancel my reservation online. Because I had bid on an upgrade that had not yet been processed I wanted to make sure to cancel before that bid processed. after many hours over several days trying to get through to their reservations department I was charged the upgrade fee. To cancel my flight I resorted to an email. I have spent the last several months trying to get the upgrade fee returned to no avail. I would not recommend this airline. Their actions during a global pandemic indicate they care about nothing but making money.
RouteBoston to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2020

"would have preferred a refund"

Trip Verified | I booked my flights through Aer Lingus and put in the bids for upgrades. The first flight out was on 12th march and the upgrade bid was accepted and paid for. Unfortunately within a few days of travel the holiday was cancelled and we were advised to return home. Aer Lingus offered free change of flight but price difference would apply. The change function on the website and app were not working. I received a message telling me to contact direct by phone. I was surprised by this in such an age of automation, and a little disappointed. But I was given no other option by Aer Lingus. I called as advised and was on hold for a full 2 hours, I then spoke to an agent who advised my change of flights would be €435 as this represented the fare difference. I accepted and was asked to wait so he could set up payment, then he hung up without taking payment. I was not called or contacted by this agent despite him confirming my phone and email details. So I called again, and again on hold, this went on for 90 minutes when again, having not spoken to an agent, the line was hung up. I called again and after 1 hour the same occurred. That now made it close to 5 hours and no change of flights possible, the frustration at this lack of basic functionality in such a company I found staggering. With the global situation going from bad to worse and the fear of being trapped in the states with no medical insurance and all the other problems a lock down or illness would bring, we had no choice but to book completely different flights to get us home. Again we went with Aer Lingus and this cost us €1577.76. Although I was glad I could get us home, and in the knowledge that I did not have to use Aer Lingus again, despite being so frustrated at the lack of service, I did. But would have been a lot happier if the same ease to book new flights could have been matched by the process for changing existing flights. I received a mail 18th of March to say that I could cancel my flights for the 23rd and would receive a credit in the way of a flight credit plus 10%, again I would have preferred a refund but, was happy to cancel the flight and take the credit to be used later. Then I received a mail to say that my upgrade for my cancelled flight home had been approved and a further €980 had been debited to my card. I now make that a total of €2,5557.76 that I have paid Aer Lingus for flights I should have been able to change for €435. A staggering €2,122.76 cost difference because Aer lingus could not provide basic functionality to change a flight during an emergency. since then I have sent a number of emails looking for clarification and have been replied to by different people each time. the latest tells me that no vouchers apply for flights before the 21st of March. my flight was on the 23rd and I have provided all the documentation they have asked for on this. In my latest call to them, after a further long wait, I was told that this would have to be dealt with by a manager and I was promised a call within 48 hours, this has not happened. I know they are hoping that I get tired of this and just walk away, but I won't.
RouteBoston to Dublin

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I had a flight leaving March 15th 2020. My flight left at 930pm. A travel ban went into effect at Midnight that same day, 2.5 hours after my flight was to leave. My tour was cancelled, hotels closed, and I could not travel, or I would of been quarantined either in Ireland upon arrival or United States upon returning. With no tour we had to cancel flight. I was in a group that was to appear in the St. Patricks day parade in Dublin, which was also cancelled due to Covid-19. Aer Lingus wanted us to rebook our flight, and fly there by the end of the year 2020. We have no vacation time left. The tour company in Ireland refunded our fare. Aer Lingus wont, saying they will only refund our taxes. Horrible customer service. Unrealistic expectations to fly there this year with the virus spreading globally, including Ireland. All essential travel is on hold. How can anyone even realistically plan a trip like that at this time.
RouteChicago to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2020

"displeased with customer service"

Not Verified | I am thoroughly displeased with customer service. I filed for a full refund in March when the travel bans were established. If I did not get a full refund, I intended to take the voucher. However, Aer Lingus only refunded my taxes and fees without notifying me. They still have yet to notify me that they closed my case. I called back as soon as I noticed the partial amount in my account. The first representative was very helpful and offered to send an email requesting a full refund since I was not told my options. However, when I didn't hear back, I called again. The next representative was very rude. She kept interrupting me and told me it would be denied and that I was at fault. She said my case was closed and they are not returning my money even though the flight is cancel. My main issue is my account was closed without my consent and without being told my options. I would have never taken the taxes and fees over a full price voucher. Now I am being shut down because they closed my case. They also will not send me any documentation to send to my trip insurance. I still have not received an email telling me my account is closed and why I was only refunded taxes and fees. Now they have profited over $800 from me on a service they are no longer providing over a technicality and loop hole of a situation.
RouteMinneapolis to Dublin
Date FlownApril 2020

"Irresponsible airline"

Not Verified | Dublin to Chicago. Irresponsible airline! My wife and I had a “bucket list” vacation planned to Ireland including a return flight from Dublin to Chicago on Aer Lingus. Unfortunately the coronavirus pandemic rose and we decided to do the the responsible action and cancelled our trip . Another airline we were taking and all of our hotels were very cooperative and totally refunded our reservations. Not so with Aer Lingus as they refused to refund our money. Very disappointing from an industry that provides the vehicle for such a pandemic to occurr in the first place . I feel we were penalized for making a responsible decision to cancel
RouteDublin to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not possible to get any response via email or phone"

Not Verified | London to Dublin with Aer Lingus. Not the worst airline I have ever used, but the one that I would least recommend. Even though I should have been able to rebook my flight to a day later, it was simply not possible to get any response via email or phone. in the end, I was forced to the flight I didn't want to take. PS: I did get a response to my emails. Stunning three weeks later.
RouteLondon to Dublin

"Shame on this airline"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Prague to Dublin. Shocking behaving during coronavirus crisis. Despite coronavirus shutting down my country/borders I cancelled all my flights with Aer Lingus and they refund only 10 % of the price. Shame on this airline for not helping people during a global crisis and national emergency.
RoutePrague to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2020

"would not refund our booking"

Not Verified | Shannon to Edinburgh. Terrible customer service. Despite Coronavirus shutting down our country / borders and cancelling all events Aer Lingus would not refund our booking. Shocking and appalling. Shame on this airline for not helping people during a global crisis and national emergency. Will never fly Aer Lingus ever again.
RouteShannon to Edinburgh

"crew were so pleasant"

Not Verified | Dublin to Chicago. Aer Lingus was very understanding and flexible during the coronavirus pandemic. We needed to change our flight once the UK and Ireland ban went into effect. They were helpful and quick with the change, at no extra fees. The flight attendants and crew were so pleasant and happy to help during our flight which helped ease our stress levels. I would recommend Aer Lingus and continue to fly with them in the future.
RouteDublin to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2020

"I want an immediate refund"

Trip Verified | We are due to fly from Dublin in April to Izmir. Aer Lingus are offering a reschedule to an unknown date in the future and waving the admin fee or a voucher. I want an immediate refund.
RouteDublin to Izmir