Aer Lingus

"non-functional entertainment"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Los Angeles via Dublin. It was the worst airline experience I've ever had. 1. Rip off during online check-in. They make you pay for a regular tourist class seat. I had to pay 65USD just for having a seat 2. Extremely poor, outdated and non-functional entertainment system. 3. Very unfriendly cabin crew 4. Very dirty cabin and toilets 5. Greasy, non-tasty meals 6. Wifi not working 7. Uncomfortably cold cabin temperature. Everyone was wearing jackets and hoods. No blankets available. Overall experience: This airline is overwhelmed by its operation. It feels like they don't know what they're doing.
RouteZurich to Los Angeles via Dublin

Aer Lingus customer review

Trip Verified | Dublin to Seattle. My luggage was lost on Aer Lingus flight 143 to SEA on 9/26/19 - the reps at the carousel were clueless, they had no access to know if baggage was delayed, they could barely fill out the claims forms (which were very poor copies of an original so faint as to be unreadable). We waited almost an hour after bags starting arriving for them to confirm no more bags remained. I was given no reference # and they said someone would contact me in 2 hrs with the status of my luggage. No one ever called. I called back 5 hrs after the flight landed using the number on the claims form - it was a off-shore call center (as confirmed later by a rep) but Aer Lingus waas not listed as one of the airlines for service - I used one of the other choices and the rep said they could help - now, 3 hrs after filling the claim i was told they had no record of the luggage and even though it was not in their system, it would arrive on the next day's flight. Next day, 3 hrs after that flight arrived I called again, and was again told they had no info - the rep this time told me in might have been delayed because the plane was "full" put me on hold while he 'contacted the airline. when he came back he said they had no further information - after additional questioning he admitted he had not actually contacted anyone and had no information confirming even the current location of my bag. 3 hrs later i called and was told the luggage didnt arrive but would be on Sunday's flight since they had no flights on the 28th. I asked why they didnt send it on another airline and was told that was not possible. I called again sunday night, 9/29 and the rep said my luggage had been 'expedited' but again he couldn't tell me whether it was on that flight or even where it was. Then he told me it had been scheduled to arrive either 9/27 or 9/28 on another airline - but he could not tell me what airline that was!
RouteDublin to Seattle

"no service options"

Not Verified | Antwerp to Toronto via Dublin. Aer Lingus had a problem with the plane on the departure from Antwerp. Rather than ensure that connecting passengers to North America had some assurances that every effort would be made to access a connecting flight, they went silent. And they stayed silent after the email that advised us the plane was finally flown in from Dublin about 2 hours late. Aer Lingus has no portal on their web site that allows anything other than purchase, upgrades and changes to existing flights. They have no service agents available online or by telephone. If you call they will loop you through various options but when you choose a service agent they just start you in the loop again. The cabin staff will not discuss these matters and assure you that you will be dealt with in Dublin. In Dublin the staff just advise you to book a new flight after you are required to retrieve your baggage and not directed to any possible service centre other that one for those wishing to purchase tickets. So after a couple of hours of wasted time, you finally have to force an agent to assist you and she really just wants to book you sometime in the future and give you a hotel credit. And getting there is up to you. The problem with Aer Lingus is that they have no service options online or via telephone and the staff at Dublin is set up to sell tickets, not service victimized customers. I will never fly this airline again. They are a regional carrier that is trying to present itself as a real international carrier. Even now, 6 days after we landed back in Canada, they have not responded to any of our concerns. There is no one to do that.
RouteAntwerp to Toronto via Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"The seats had poor pitch"

Trip Verified | Dublin to London Heathrow on Aer Lingus. Having checked-in on line and traveling with carry-on only, I went straight to their lounge which I paid €30 to access. The lounge had very limited food on offer for a noon departure and one of the two coffee machines did not work. The staff were getting agitated as they constantly had to tend to the faulty coffee machine and the passengers were lining up to get served. It was a total waste of money as I would have had access to much better options in the terminal for the price I paid to enter the lounge. Boarding was orderly but commenced late resulting in a late departure. As I was boarding, the gate agent stopped me to tell me my carry-on had to be checked in which I went along with. Once on-board, I watched other passengers come through with more items and much bigger carry-ons than mine. The seats had poor pitch and I was glad I had paid extra for exit row. FA’s were pleasant but the service offering was abysmal with everything from water to coffee costing extra. It felt more like a discount rather than a mainline carrier. My seat pocket had a plastic cup left in it indicating cleaning was haphazard. When I pointed it out to the FA, she simply shrugged as if to say it was not her problem. As anticipated, the flight landed late. It was my first experience with Aer Lingus and hopefully the last.
RouteDublin to London
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"they do not guarantee seats"

Not Verified | Buyer beware! We flew out on September 5th, the flight was supposed to leave at 7:00 p.m. but did not leave until after 9:30. We were in the airport for 4 hours waiting. Then we did not get the seats we paid extra to get, even though we were the first people who booked that flight and chose our seats specifically. I chose the seat specifically so I would not bother anyone else. The poor guy next to me, I felt bad. When we got to Dublin, I talked to a ticketing agent who told me I would receive a refund. Since we had a long wait in Seattle, there were 3 of us traveling and I decided to book us into the Aer Lingus Lounge so we could have a comfortable wait. What they don't tell you is that the Lounge is before Customs. So we cleared Customs and went to the lounge and the girl told us you had to use the lounge before Customs. So, I sent an email to Aer Lingus and they told me that they do not guarantee seats and Administrative Fees are non-refundable. Never use this airline if you can avoid it.
RouteSeattle to Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"haven’t got a clue where my baggage is"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Edinburgh via Dublin. Flight was delayed for 4 hours. Baggage was lost and no one took any responsibility. Instead, they suggested I speak with their contractor, Menzies. I was on hold for 20 minutes and when I asked to speak to a supervisor the agent hung up. After 4 days and multiple phone calls they still haven’t got a clue where my baggage is and care little to find out. They’d rather just pay the lost luggage fee.
RouteSeattle to Edinburgh via Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"did not reply to my claim for refund"

Trip Verified | Boston to Faro via Dublin. Aer lingus gave me the worst travel experience I've ever seen in over 30 years of frequent flying. tldr: Last minute flight cancellation, no reroute options, rude and slow customer service and non transparent and misguiding compensation and refund policy. Details: I booked a flight from Seattle to Faro connecting in Boston and Dublin to attend a wedding. The flight was supposed to land in Terminal 2 at 7 AM which as per the Irish department of justice website will not require entry into Ireland. "Unless your arrival flight and onward connecting flight is in Terminal 2 between the hours of 0400 and 1600, you will need to go landside to make your onward connecting flight". First, my initial flight from Seattle was cancelled hours before departure. I accidentally checked my email before heading to the airport and found the notification. I called their customer support and was kept on hold for 90 mins, the customer service agent was rude and offered a reroute that arrives 2 days after my initial arrival date, which meant I will miss the main purpose of the trip and attend the wedding I am supposed to. When I asked him for an earlier option, he placed me on hold again and phone was disconnected after a min. I called again and waiting around 60 mins on hold again before I was automatically disconnected again. I called for a third time and finally got to an agent after almost 80 mins. She gave me another ticket that exchanged my 12 hour flight for a 24 hour flight with 10 hour wait in Boston. I accepted the offer since I had no other choice. Second: I did fly to Boston through a JetBlue flight and the agent did check me in and routed my luggage directly to Faro airport. I arrived in Boston and waited the 10 hours during which I checked in again with an aer lingus agent who checked my passport and gave me a boarding pass and explicitly marked "Visa OK" on it after asking me a number of time where my final destination is. At the gate, the agent asked all passengers to check in at the desk to confirm luggage. I did and he checked my passport and issued me a new boarding pass . An hour later, I was not allowed to board to the plane by the aer lingus agent as I don't have a transit visa to Dublin. I spent the next hours running from Jetblue agents to Aer lingus agents who exchanged blame in a rude and humiliating manner. Even calling Aer lingus support line didn't help. Eventually they offered to return me back to Seattle using my $1360 ticket. As a result, I missed my vacation and didn't attend my best friend's wedding, I lost the $1360 ticket and $2000 of hotel reservations, car rentals and other arrangements After almost one week, Aer lingus did not reply to my claim for refund or compensation, although the regulations mentioned on their website explicitly mention my right for compensation in case of one side cancellation.
RouteBoston to Faro via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"didn't let me on board"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Cork. Although there was a huge queue for the passport control at Amsterdam Airport and had to spend 45 minutes in security lines, I managed to get to the gate 15 minutes before departure time, but the assistant didn't let me on board, as the door was already closed. They ruined my birthday weekend with my family. They refuse to give any refund, the customer service is not available during weekends and during weekdays after 20 minutes waiting time they hang up if they receive a complaint.
RouteAmsterdam to Cork

"My luggage was lost"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Edinburgh via Dublin. Absolutely terrible customer service. My luggage was lost by Aer Lingus on 16/8/19 on the flight from Los Angeles to Edinburgh and despite chasing them up almost everyday I still do not have my luggage 11 days later! I keep getting promised a call back and nothing happens. Do not use them.
RouteLos Angeles to Edinburgh via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"One of the best airlines"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Dublin to Lisbon. One of the best airlines I had the pleasure to fly with. Everything is well organized, with a good attitude and it actually functions similar to its flag country. In this company cabin crew matures well and become more professional and better hostesses. Well done.
RouteDublin to Lisbon