British Airways

"gate staff should be better trained"

Trip Verified | Flew to Istanbul with British Airways on 5th June. At the passport/visa check desk, presented printed boarding pass to the BA lady - my wife was holding the passports. The lady looked at the boarding passes and barked 'Passports' as if she did not see my wife holding them. Second bark: 'Do you have a visa?'. Third bark: 'Show me'. Fourth bark: 'Next'. No smile, no 'Hello' or 'Good morning'. Hardly any eye contact either. If anything, the situation was worse at boarding. BA recently introduced a boarding-by-group-number system. All such systems need to be policed, but there are ways of policing the arrangements. Some passengers attempted to board before their group number was call. When caught by the gate keeper, they were told, 'Not Yet'. Some attempted to board prematurely more than once. On the second attempt, the staff told them to wait. Accepting that the system must be monitored, BA gate staff should be better trained how to deal with (potentially) anxious passengers and reminded that not everyone speaks or understands English.
RouteLondon to Istanbul
Date FlownJune 2018

"crew welcoming and orderly"

Trip Verified | Munich to London Heathrow with British Airways. I booked my flight online about 3 months ahead of my planned travel date and thought I would give this airline another try after a bad experience earlier in the year. I give full marks to BA on this occasion in most areas of service. I arrived at the airport rather stressed as my mobile phone had been stolen in a Salzburg coffee shop. The check-in agent was very professional and reassuring towards me and entered into banter very willingly. He was professional and pleasant and very efficient too. The flight was on an A320 and boarding was managed well and the staff well presented too. The cabin crew were welcoming and orderly. Although there was a delay it was managed well and the cabin crew explained matters as the flight progressed. I bought an overpriced tea and felt very comfortable. Arrival was at a remote stand and then a bus. Overall a very good experience with BA.
RouteMunich to London Heathrow

"Wonderful service"

Trip Verified | Wonderful service on the flight from Edinburgh-Florence on 7 July 18. Mainline British Airways could learn lots from BA CityFlyer and their franchise partner in S Africa (Com Air).
RouteEdinburgh-Florence
Date FlownJuly 2018

"would rather walk to Manchester"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Manchester. It was outrageous of British Airways to put me on a standby boarding pass when I checked in at LHR on the 05/07. I bought, paid and the the booking was confirmed two months before the flight date. How dare BA do this to me when I was travelling for 12 hours and everything ran like a clock work (different airlines) until I encountered BA at Heathrow. Check-in and help desk are arrogant, rude and are as miserable as hell. Not even a simple apology for the amount stress they caused me just here is a £5 voucher and wait till 40 minutes before departure to see if you have a seat. we were 12 passengers who had the same treatment from BA. British Airways is a disgrace of an airline, because they have a monopoly on the Heathrow slots they think they can get a way with such disgraceful service, well, they are wrong, like others I have found an alternative airline. I close my review and say I will never ever use British Airways again. I would rather walk to Manchester.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Manchester

"not sitting together"

Trip Verified | London to Madrid. Lazy seat allocation has led to my husband and I not sitting together. I understand I can pay to get a seat I want but other than having a seat next to my husband I don’t want any particular seat. We are travelling as a pair. There are three seats each side of the aisle. There will likely be single passengers travelling who have chosen a seat preventing us from sitting together as they don’t know what groups are travelling and do t care where they sit. BA bothering to do the seat allocations for all the passengers you don’t wish to pay for specific seats would avoid this.
RouteLondon to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2018

"not provided any explanation"

(China)

Trip Verified | Luggage broken into – no explanation. First the good point. Cabin attendants were very diligent and friendly in business class on BA169 London to Shanghai on 22 June. Not so good. The bizarre seating pattern that allows 8 business class seats across the width of the plane feels cramped and crowded compared to a herringbone arrangement. The trust breaker. Upon arrival in Shanghai I was not the only one from BA169 reporting missing luggage. Mine arrived 3 days later and the zip locking mechanism had been forced open and damaged beyond repair or further use. Nothing was missing, so was it subject to search as unaccompanied luggage? People deserve an answer when luggage arrives in that state. BA have not provided any explanation despite queries to Customer Relations; this is not acceptable. Corporate behaviour like this not only lets down the customer but leaves an impression that betrays and outweighs the efforts made by their own cabin staff.
RouteLondon to Shanghai

"seats were uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | London to Tehran back in August 2017. The cabin looked so old and tired, I struggle to understand why BA has not updated yet on a lot of their B777 aircraft. The inflight entertainment screen was small with a resolution of something from the 90s, but the selection of movies was alright. The meal service commenced 2 and a half hours after taking off and considering this was a night flight most of us were been starving at this point. The option I wanted ran out by the time they got to me and I wasn't even sitting in the last rows of the economy section. The seats were very uncomfortable. A couple hours later there was another drinks service.
RouteLondon to Tehran
Date FlownAugust 2017

"it's not extra leg room"

Trip Verified | Pisa to London Heathrow. Having booked and paid for extra leg room seats six months in advance we were unpleasantly surprised to find out that upon checking our booking on the BA website a couple of weeks before flying there had been a change of aircraft. Our new seats were shown as exit row seats and we therefore assumed that they would be extra leg room but upon boarding we realised that row 22 of an A321 aircraft is standard seat pitch. Why didn't BA notify us of a seat change when they knew of this change weeks in advance of our flight? Once we'd boarded we found that there was one extra leg room seat still available which was fortunate because my husband is tall and needs that extra leg room. The BA cabin crew did move my husband but said "this happens all the time with row 22, it might be an exit row but it's not extra leg room".
RoutePisa to London Heathrow
Date FlownJuly 2018

"had upgraded people in first"

Trip Verified | I recently took a first class flight from London Heathrow to Las Vegas and due to a plane change a number of people where upgraded. The plane was not ready for passengers and we boarded 35 minutes late. When we boarded things were still not ready and the staff were rushing around. The service on the outbound flight was fine but the plane was old and dated. The return flight was a disaster. The seats were dirty, food was like rubber, plane was dated, seats smelt, Lauren Perrier was not served on takeoff for some reason, some new policy apparently and again we had upgraded people in first which is not great. When I complained I was offered 8,000 Avios, are you serious BA? I think there are many other airlines out there with a first class product which is much better than that I experienced on British Airways. Unless a first class ticket on British Airways is on sale, I would suggest you fly with another airline. British Airways planes are dirty they have been told a number of times they are dirty - it’s about time they had a deep clean and re-model the first class it’s getting so old, it’s like club class with a few tweaks.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon Heathrow to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2018

"first and last experience"

Trip Verified | Had four flights in total with this airline, first flight from Dublin to London on 29th June 2018 was delayed by 2 hours. This delay would have meant we missed our connection in Heathrow to Miami except that plane was also delayed by 2 hrs (no reason or apologies). We arrived in Miami hours behind schedule which took away our only evening there as we were getting a cruise the following morning. By the time we arrived we had missed our hotel transfer causing further expense as we had to hail a cab. Our flights home to Dublin via Heathrow were fine until we reached Dublin and realised they had lost our bag. Despite assurances it would be delivered to our house later that day (it was put on the wrong plane - again no apologies given for this inconvenience). We are still awaiting the bags arrival and the phone numbers we were given keep ringing out. Seems like no one cares. This was our first and last experience of using BA.
RouteDublin to Miami via London

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL